Did MS spend too much time focusing on BC this gen?

• 113 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45247 Posts

Just read a recent article about how MS is bringing more original Xbox and Xbox 360 games to the current system. I like that they are offering BC as a service for buying the new system, but can't help but think that they should have focused on new games instead. What do you think, SW? Did MS spend too much time on BC this gen? Below is the article.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/04/10/morrowind-leaked-as-new-xbox-one-backward-compatible-title.aspx

Check out the full list and their corresponding release dates below.

Xbox 360 games getting Xbox One X Enhanced updates on April 10:

· Darksiders

· Gears of War 2

· Portal 2

· Red Dead Redemption

· Sonic Generations (first time available on Xbox One)

· Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Original Xbox games releasing on April 17:

· Blinx: The Time Sweeper

· Breakdown

· Conker: Live & Reloaded

· The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

· Hunter: The Reckoning

· Jade Empire

· Panzer Dragoon Orta

· SSX 3

Original Xbox games releasing on April 26:

· Destroy All Humans!

· Full Spectrum Warrior

· Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

· MX Unleashed

· Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe only)

· Star Wars: Battlefront

· Star Wars: Battlefront II

· Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

· Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter

· Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

· Star Wars: Republic Commando

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

I wish Sony did more with BC rather than focusing on that stupid PSCow shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Do we know proportionally how much time MS spent on BC?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

MS hardly spent any time on BC. They created an emulator. The games were already there.

I only see a positive here, and only trolls would call BC as Ms implement it a negative. Sony spent as much time creating ps now - which is the only way you can play older games - and you have to pay for a poorer implementation even if you already paid for and still own the game.

It's time the "no games" memes stopped, apart from the trolls who need material. There are now literally thousands of games available on Xbox 1, and where there are a handful of ps4 exclusives that I'd welcome on Xbox, I wouldn't want to swap exclusives given the choice.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45247 Posts

@sealionact said:

MS hardly spent any time on BC. They created an emulator. The games were already there.

I only see a positive here, and only trolls would call BC as Ms implement it a negative. Sony spent as much time creating ps now - which is the only way you can play older games - and you have to pay for a poorer implementation even if you already paid for and still own the game.

It's time the "no games" memes stopped, apart from the trolls who need material. There are now literally thousands of games available on Xbox 1, and where there are a handful of ps4 exclusives that I'd welcome on Xbox, I wouldn't want to swap exclusives given the choice.

No one is forcing you to pay for PS now. You can play your old games on your old systems. Most of the games that are coming to MS BC, are also available on PC and other systems. I also don't think you can really excuse MS for not having a good amount of solid exclusives this gen.

@boycie said:

No, but I don't think it was a simple project to begin with. They spent a lot of time and resources working the hardware and getting publishers and developers to participate.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

MS wasn't all in for BC during Xbox One launch, they were really trying to leave Xbox 360 games behind them and giving lots of BC demands feedbacks, MS was able to just make an emulations for Xbox One with ease and no, it wasn't a waste of time. But I can say MS is focusing BC more so then they are talking about newer IP games. MS should be discussing more new Xbox One games and then, comeback to BC news/updates later.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: i don't know, I just believe that is pathetic to focus on games that are like 4 to 15 years old instead on focusing on new content.

BC don't sell consoles, most people don't care about replaying games, BC is just pandering towards a vocal minority.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44144 Posts

Does TC spend too much time making threads instead of participating in existing threads? Don't bother with an answer, it's rhetorical. lol :P

And of course the answer to the question is a big fat No, unless you're a typical insecure SW MS/Xbox anti-fan trying to be in with the Herd looking for acceptance and act like you hate Free options offered by MS.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Calvincfb

@sealionact: I still have my ps3 and ps2, so I can play my older games on it.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sealionact

@SolidGame_basic: Keeping your old system to play your old games is an obvious solution...but why would I want three boxes to play the games that one can?

Saying "no-one is forcing you" is stating the bleeding obvious. However, if you want to play your old games on ps4, you can't. There's no way to do it.

For people who DO want to play PS3 games on ps4, they ARE forced to pay again. Even after paying, the implementation is way worse than the free option that ms offer.

BC was the most requested feature on Xbox and going by the comments on the article that stated PS4 games won't work on ps5, Sony owners want it too. It's about time they came up with a better option than psnow.

As far as exclusives go, it really isn't relevant to say that because they're on pc too, that is a negative for Xbox owners...it doesn't affect them apart from giving them the bonus of being able to play their games on their pc too at no extra cost. Yes, you can argue that a pc gamer has less incentive to buy an Xbox because the same games are available, but then it follows that a pc gamer is ONLY buying a ps4 for the exclusives, and there just aren't enough to justify that decision for most people - there's a dire lack of exclusive FPS games on ps4, which is why I went with an Xbox when I gave up on pc gaming.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Conker!!!!!!!!!!!

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sealionact

@calvincfb: That's great that you're satisfied with that. I play all my Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox 1 games on a single console. I don't need three controllers lying around, and have 3 times less boxes and cables cluttering up under my TV....and I'm satisfied with that. Aesthetics dontcha know.

Strange that you would laugh at a console that offers the ability to play old games, yet admit to enjoying playing old games.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Calvincfb

@sealionact: I never laughed about BC, I just believe is pathetic, which it is. I don't play that much older games since I don't have the time to begin with, so I'd rather play new ones. And if I was a person who cares about that I'd just buy a PC.

But as I said, most people don't care about that.

If they did, switch wouldn't be selling a lot and PS4 would've failed.

In the end, BC is a waste of resources.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

BC is a good secondary option opening different types of games. MS also need a good 1st party showing.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice  Online

@robert_sparkes said:

BC is a good secondary option opening different types of games. MS also need a good 1st party showing.

Ummm, MS's Mighty Rare just launched only weeks ago a spectacular brand spanking new , Sea of Thieves. And don't believe the fake reviews, it's the best, freshest, most creative IP to hit the streets in ages.

Eh, but that doesn't count as good 1st party support I guess especially since it doesn't fit the Fake narrative and when it just game out only weeks ago. . :P

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact

@calvincfb: Shift those goalposts all you want. "Most people don't care about that" yet it was the number one requested feature on Xbox. "If I was a person who cared about BC, I'd get a pc" which you'd presumably stack your PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 on?

"BC is a waste of resources". What resources? There is an emulator. Ms asks the Devs if it's ok to use a game and it's uploaded. Doubt if more that 3 people are involved.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 robert_sparkes

I agree regarding sea of thieves it was important to release new IP but they need more variety and more releases like it. Hopefully E3 will show additional more.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice  Online

@sealionact:

Unholy cowzerz, well played mah friend....

:P

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

Lems swear psnow has anything to do with bc. Its virtual renting and a streaming compatibility not system compatible.

Be glad but dont brag. Bc has never been a major factor in console sway. I could care less becuase theres always a upcoming new experience to have instead ( except on xbone currently so things make little more sense now)

Ill gladly stay with the company that ecourages to keep moving forward and to keep things new even the old. (frequent remasters )

Its Better than the most bragable feature being playing last gen games. Especially when you got to wait months even years for your specific last gen game to be announced.... again.

I pray ms has a big surprise at E3. Well i guess the x1x is enough to keep them afloat till next gen no matter what but... smh sony needs a threat to stay in check for next gen

Meanwhile xbox needs its og. What a 360.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

BC is 't necessary for me, but if you do it,do it properly. And MS is not disappointing here.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Everything went downhills because MS focused on motion controls more than anything else and they lost momentum big time by making PS4 look like a super deal for too long.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

here is the fact.

pricing models will not attract NEW customers.

new customers are determined by the games, not the price of the games.

a game does not become more interesting to me because its cheaper, the game is either interesting to me or its not.

I dont have an xbox because the games I am interested in are on the PC not on the xbox.

You might say 'yeah but you demographic of game interest is unimportant' ok well then the fact remains, if the games are the same...where are the new players coming from?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

wow, they certainly exceeded my expectations with that line-up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@tryit: which part of that was the ‘fact’?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TryIt

@boycie said:

@tryit: which part of that was the ‘fact’?

all of it,

why?

and please answer with something that isnt painfully predictable

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@sealionact said:

@calvincfb: Shift those goalposts all you want. "Most people don't care about that" yet it was the number one requested feature on Xbox. "If I was a person who cared about BC, I'd get a pc" which you'd presumably stack your PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 on?

"BC is a waste of resources". What resources? There is an emulator. Ms asks the Devs if it's ok to use a game and it's uploaded. Doubt if more that 3 people are involved.

Most people don't have an XBox, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@tryit: it just read as opinion, conjecture and twaddle.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Calvincfb

@sealionact: most people still don't care about it and is still a waste of resources, no matter what.

And most people still don't have a Xbox one.

Hence, I'm right and you're wrong.

Nobody cares about BC.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TryIt

@boycie said:

@tryit: it just read as opinion, conjecture and twaddle.

predicted!

snore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@tryit: The only fact I could tweeze out of it was that you don’t own a Xbox one.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Nope!

Unlike the competition they are getting started on having digital titles tied to your account, and the games being BC on future platforms. Very good looking ecosystem so far. Really appreciate that the Games with Gold are included in this.

Sony and Nintendo are still asking you to buy the same game for the 3rd or 4th time. No evidence that they want to change this.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By robert_sparkes

BC is convenient to me as I no longer have to have a 360 hooked up to play the fable series which are favourites of mine.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TryIt

@boycie said:

@tryit: The only fact I could tweeze out of it was that you don’t own a Xbox one.

excuse me while I go and study because I want to be as smart as you are.

so I will have to refrain from conversation for awhile because its a high bar for me to try and become as wise and sharp as you, so I have to study

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

LOL damn, trying to spin that as a negative. Cows are really hurting over this, huh?

I don't think the BC engineers are the same people who would otherwise be working on first party titles, if thats what you're trying to imply. I also don't think they are sacrificing first party for the sake of BC. Common sense here.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sealionact

@calvincfb: And yet we've established that BC is the number one requested feature on Xbox. As in "vote for what we should do next" and guess what? BC came top!

So when you say "Nobody cares about BC", are you saying ps5 owners wouldn't care if their ps4 games worked on it? Because when you read the comments on the GS article saying "ps4 games may not work on ps5", that's not the vibe I'm getting.

We've also established you're happy with the way Sony handles your old games, and that you're commentating on something that actually doesn't affect you. You keep your old consoles, pile em up and play your games.

I'm sure "nobody" who has a Sony console thinks that the ms way of handling old games is better.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 robert_sparkes

Looking forward to replaying conkers live and reloaded again. One of my favourite games on the og Xbox.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sealionact

@Shewgenja: Fair enough. Most people dont have a PS4 either... Whoops, did I shift the goalposts too?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

BC should have been included from the start for every game going back to the original Xbox, but whatever, at least they are doing it now with the last console they released. Good for them?

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@robert_sparkes said:

Ummm, MS's Mighty Rare just launched only weeks ago a spectacular brand spanking new , Sea of Thieves. And don't believe the fake reviews, it's the best, freshest, most creative IP to hit the streets in ages.

Eh, but that doesn't count as good 1st party support I guess especially since it doesn't fit the Fake narrative and when it just game out only weeks ago. . :P

What a spin. LOL! 66 on OC or 69 on MC is a SPECTATULAR. Since when?

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Calvincfb

@sealionact: still irrelevant, just like Xbox.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sealionact

@calvincfb: Thanks for conceding.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Calvincfb

@sealionact: I didn't conceded, the facts remain: BC is irrelevant, BC doesn't sell consoles, BC is underused, BC is a waste of resources.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

No one is forcing you to pay for PS now. You can play your old games on your old systems. Most of the games that are coming to MS BC, are also available on PC and other systems. I also don't think you can really excuse MS for not having a good amount of solid exclusives this gen.

@boycie said:

No, but I don't think it was a simple project to begin with. They spent a lot of time and resources working the hardware and getting publishers and developers to participate.

Really? How would you know? How much time did they spend? How much resources? BC has always been left up the devs. BC or no BC that wouldn't have changed anything as far as new games new IPs. It wasn't a choice of BC and less games or no BC and no games. Only a cow would think something as dumb as that

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

IMO.. yes is a waste of time. BC is something that I never care about.. To the people that actually care and use it.. Good for them, but I buy new consoles to play new games.. If I need to replay old games I'll just plug in my old console and play.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

How is BC a bad thing? More options for gaming is never bad. I haven't traded in a game or system in 20 years. I'll be digging out my copy of Jade Empire this weekend.

Do you still use an IPOD?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Lems overhype BC, Cows underhype it. IMO, it a plus, but a small plus. I'd use it for a few games, rarely. If MS would have had straight up true BC(stick the disc in and play) from day 1, this would be a bigger plus for them. Waiting 2 years to start the emulation process, which took awhile to even get decent games was not worth the overhype it got. Also, a lot of people traded in their 360 and games because MS said no BC for Xbox One. So repurchasing the game would be necessary again anyways. If you did hold on to your 360 and games, it's just a convenience factor and that's were the plus comes in. In the end, I think MS said something like 5% of Xbox One owners actively use BC. It's a plus feature, but also not as necessary as people made it out to be. Releasing a stronge Xbox in the X, and touting OG Xbox games is a little silly too... You can play those games on any crap PC if you want. If I bought an X, I'd want to see it's power working, not see it playing 14 year old games(at the same quality).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

No, not at all. I love that Microsoft have brought backwards compatibility with their older systems to the Xbox One like they have, I think it’s awesome.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TryIt

@calvincfb said:

@sealionact: still irrelevant, just like Xbox.

the problem MS doesnt understand is that if you want to bring in new gamers you have to have different games.

I know some people buy games when they are cheap and then never play them and that is a problem for them but most pepole buy what they want to play and really the price doesnt play a huge role in the decision to buy it or not.

They need to invest in making games. they are a friggin software company for christ sake, do some coding MS!

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@calvincfb said:

@sealionact: I never laughed about BC, I just believe is pathetic, which it is. I don't play that much older games since I don't have the time to begin with, so I'd rather play new ones. And if I was a person who cares about that I'd just buy a PC.

But as I said, most people don't care about that.

If they did, switch wouldn't be selling a lot and PS4 would've failed.

In the end, BC is a waste of resources.

How is something that's free and completely optional pathetic? Wouldn't a service charging for BC be pathetic vs a free service? You may not like it but it's far from being pathetic. Good thing you opinion =/= reality

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Lems won't admit it because they don't want admit they wasted their money on the XboneX but the meltdowns and salt over PS4 games like UC4, HZD, GOW, Spiderman, TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Detroit, etc. tell a different story.

BC is a nice feature to have especially at launch but the fact is that MS had no plans to have BC originally. They only jumped on the BC train after it became clear they couldn't compete with the PS4 with new games and sales. They've spent far too much resources on it seeing as how their first party is a joke nowadays.

Go on Youtube and Twitter and you can see that the Xbox community is starting to grow impatient with MS despite BC. Many are starting to complain and are giving MS the message they better start bringing in the new games and experiences this E3. Despite MS' BC efforts a large portion of Xbox gamers are starting to fill the hunger for new games as they see the type of games the PS4 is getting and want some of that type of experience on the Xbox platform.

If BC was such an awesome feature to have this late into the gen Xbox wouldn't be getting destroyed in sales like it is right now but the Switch and PS4. Neither of the two top selling consoles right now have BC and they are both doing phenomenally well in sales.