Dark Souls 2 Hype Thread GS score 9.0 (56k warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#201 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I have an early copy of the game. It's very, very good. But there are some changes to the game-some good, some bad.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#202 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Warrior or Swordsman. Someone pick for me D:

Cleric

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ tubbyc

So it acts as a sort of Ratio or Active multiplier...... A Buffer ?

And theres soooo many layers of complexity and hoops to jump through just to progress. Well, I guess it weeds out the idiots but I've always thought Complexity =\= Depth. Just seems like its unnecessary. Aint nothing with leveling the good old fashioned way.

Wait ! if you die.... You drop your equipment too right ? Is that why they keep it seperated from your avatar ?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ tubbyc

So it acts as a sort of Ratio or Active multiplier...... A Buffer ?

And theres soooo many layers of complexity and hoops to jump through just to progress. Well, I guess it weeds out the idiots but I've always thought Complexity =\= Depth. Just seems like its unnecessary. Aint nothing with leveling the good old fashioned way.

Wait ! if you die.... You drop your equipment too right ? Is that why they keep it seperated from your avatar ?

It's a good sort of complexity. When you get into it, it's a lot easier to understand, it's just hard to explain on here.

And no, you don't drop your equipment when you die. You just drop all your souls and active humanity (which can be retrieved if you go to the spot where you died without dying again first)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 inggrish

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Deprived.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

In Demon's Souls my first character was a Faith build but ended up using a Strength build the most for MANY obvious reasons (cursed weps trololol). In Dark Souls my first character was a Faith build and its what i preferred until i stopped playing the game (WoG/darkmoon blade too gud). In Dark Souls 2 i have no choice but to start with a Faith build AGAIN. I do hope Strength builds are as good as they were in Demon's Souls tho cuz that's what i enjoyed playing the most.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

News flash! the game is the hardest in the series that much I can tell you.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#209  Edited By Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

As much as I'm enjoying South Park it's going to become a distant memory as soon as Dark Souls II arrives. I fuckin ready son.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 inggrish

@silversix_ said:

In Demon's Souls my first character was a Faith build but ended up using a Strength build the most for MANY obvious reasons (cursed weps trololol). In Dark Souls my first character was a Faith build and its what i preferred until i stopped playing the game (WoG/darkmoon blade too gud). In Dark Souls 2 i have no choice but to start with a Faith build AGAIN. I do hope Strength builds are as good as they were in Demon's Souls tho cuz that's what i enjoyed playing the most.

Interesting. I'm the opposite to you, I love faith build in Demon's Souls, but I just struggled too much with it in Dark Souls; I couldn't find a build that worked well with it, what weaponry and armour did you go for usually?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 silversix_

@_Matt_ said:

@silversix_ said:

Interesting. I'm the opposite to you, I love faith build in Demon's Souls, but I just struggled too much with it in Dark Souls; I couldn't find a build that worked well with it, what weaponry and armour did you go for usually?

Falchion with 30 in faith for DMB worked perfectly but i mostly ran 50 Faith for WoG with a Claymore. Was running a mix of gear for 56 poise and 71 poise when running Falchion. I couldn't tell you the names of armor pieces i was wearing cuz i stopped playing the game (only stopped cuz invading late night could take 30+ minutes per invade and that is just too disappointing) over a year ago, kinda forgetting dem names :(

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#212 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I'm going to say AAAA too. I'm almost done with Demon's Souls and all i can say is that it's AMAZING, i know DeS and DaS are not the same but i have high expectations. I hope they make a Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 bundle so i can get them both. ^-^

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#213 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Deprived.

I have to agree with Matt, cause I'm rolling a Swordsman >.>

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Xaero_Gravity

@Ballroompirate said:

@_Matt_ said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Deprived.

I wanna go Swordsman due to the high starting Dex and the thought of dual wielding makes me moist, but I love the Warrior starting armor.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Nice hype thread. Put me down for AAA. Also, Ballroom, I think you might have mixed up publisher/developer in the OP. Pretty sure Fromsoft is the dev, and Namco the pub.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Ballroompirate

@the_bi99man said:

Nice hype thread. Put me down for AAA. Also, Ballroom, I think you might have mixed up publisher/developer in the OP. Pretty sure Fromsoft is the dev, and Namco the pub.

Namco is only responsible for publishing out of JP (so technically FS is still publisher/developer), so I made the corrections.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 inggrish

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@_Matt_ said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Deprived.

I wanna go Swordsman due to the high starting Dex and the thought of dual wielding makes me moist, but I love the Warrior starting armor.

Swordsman does look amazing, but I have a feeling that will start off as the most used class, so I'll go different and define my own character more. The Warrior has good armour; I'm leaning towards Knight or Deprived at the moment: I guess which I choose depends on how much I hate myself on the day.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#218 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@_Matt_ said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Deprived.

Swordsman does look amazing, but I have a feeling that will start off as the most used class, so I'll go different and define my own character more. The Warrior has good armour; I'm leaning towards Knight or Deprived at the moment: I guess which I choose depends on how much I hate myself on the day.

I'm going with Knight. I'll have to choose Deprived for my level 1 attempt. Was able to do level 1 runs in Demon's and Dark, but it seems like it's going to be much harder this time around.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By inggrish

@jake44 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@_Matt_ said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Xaero_Gravity said:

Cleric

Deprived.

I'm going with Knight. I'll have to choose Deprived for my level 1 attempt. Was able to do level 1 runs in Demon's and Dark, but it seems like it's going to be much harder this time around.

Wow neato, I've never dared trying to join the One-Club. Any tips for it?

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 jake44

@_Matt_ said:

For starters, I'd recommend getting the reinforced club and light crossbow and making them fire weapons. You can farm green titanite from the giant leeches at the bottom of Blighttown (start with the Master Key for easy access to Blighttown).

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#221 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Finally saw Gamespot's preview of the Tower of Flames. It looks amazing.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 silversix_

I feel so salty not being able to play this tonight on my pc and cannot justify spending $140 for a double dip.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 silversix_

@jake44 said:

@_Matt_ said:

You can farm green titanite from the giant leeches at the bottom of Blighttown

This reminds me when the game was released lol i farmed soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much of these leeches

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By inggrish

@jake44 said:

@_Matt_ said:

For starters, I'd recommend getting the reinforced club and light crossbow and making them fire weapons. You can farm green titanite from the giant leeches at the bottom of Blighttown (start with the Master Key for easy access to Blighttown).

Fire weapons huh? Are they versatile enough for the whole game?

I've never really had a fire weapon in Dark Souls, you upgrade them from the skele blacksmith no?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#225  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

So did they really downgrade the shit out of this visually like people are saying? To be honest even if they did that doesn't bother me since it's a souls game that's all that matters.

It kind of sucks if the PC version got nerfed as well tho, because that's where the majority of my time will be spent.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Lulu_Lulu

^If only everybody extented that same courtesy to Watch Dogs and every Xbox One Version of a Multiplat.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Ballroompirate

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

So did they really downgrade the shit out of this visually like people are saying? To be honest even if they did that doesn't bother me since it's a souls game that's all that matters.

It kind of sucks if the PC version got nerfed as well tho, because that's where the majority of my time will be spent.

The only things I've heard were they nerfed the dynamic lighting

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#228  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

^If only everybody extented that same courtesy to Watch Dogs and every Xbox One Version of a Multiplat.

Nah, Ubisoft deserves the shit they get if the game ends up looking like Gta 4 on next gen consoles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Why is everybody exagerating this alleged downgrade ? Even the Wii U version won't look like that. Come on !

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By inggrish

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Why is everybody exagerating this alleged downgrade ? Even the Wii U version won't look like that. Come on !

It's not really an exaggeration. When some new screenshots can be compared with shots from Need For Speed Most Wanted on the PS2, you know it's quite a downgrade.

That's of course assuming said shots weren't doctored, but the shots came from footage so I doubt that.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Ballroompirate

A few more hours!!!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Lulu_Lulu

@ _Matt_

Or perhaps the footage wasn't capture or encoded properly. And from what Ive seen its definately an exageration.... Just like your Most Wanted reference. More importantly, it doesn't even matter, hasn't Ryse proven graphics mean didly squat ? Why is it such a big deal for Watch Dogs ?

Avatar image for nosmokingbandit
nosmokingbandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 nosmokingbandit
Member since 2010 • 43 Posts

I managed to get a copy because my store doesn't understand release dates. The game is pretty. Its not mind-blowingly gorgeous, but it is certainly a big step up from Dark Souls.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Ballroompirate

Got my pre order paid off, luckily the gamestop by my house is letting people pick up Dark Souls 2 at midnight, which is suppose to be only for the Titanfall release. Say what you will about gamestop, I've yet to have issues with the ones by my place and I'm thankful they are actually letting people pick up Dark Souls 2.

Now time to rub sun lotion on my body in preparation for Dark Souls 2, praise the sun!!!!!!!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 the_bi99man

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ _Matt_

Or perhaps the footage wasn't capture or encoded properly. And from what Ive seen its definately an exageration.... Just like your Most Wanted reference. More importantly, it doesn't even matter, hasn't Ryse proven graphics mean didly squat ? Why is it such a big deal for Watch Dogs ?

Assuming you guys are talking about the watch dogs downgrade... there's no way that improper capturing or encoding could make that big of a difference. The latest footage doesn't even look like the same engine from the earlier videos. The lighting is completely changed, the textures are about a tenth of the resolution, if that, colors are different, models are simpler, effects are completely stripped away. That's not improper capturing or encoding. That's a graphic downgrade. Which Ubisoft has been known to do with literally every game they've made. And yeah, saying it looks like a PS2 game is a bit of an exaggeration, but there are better looking games on PS3 and 360, which is pathetic.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#236 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Str all day baby. I'm gonna do it like I did Dark Souls. No finesse and all brute force

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Got dat 9

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#238 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

One month and fifteen days for the version I want.

CURSE YOU!!!!!!!

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

9.0 as predicted. Wonder when they'll award another 10.0.

Anyway, sounds like it turned out to be another excellent game, despite some comments from players at IGN which concerned me. Looking forward to getting stuck into it when my copy arrives.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@tubbyc said:

Going off the review sounds like this had a shot.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Haven't seen a review under 9 yet, seen a few 9.5 and 9.6 as well.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@tubbyc said:

Going off the review sounds like this had a shot.

I want to read the review but i'm choosing not to spoil any of the experience even if it's just a tad bit of the excitement. But awesome to hear, too bad we won't be seeing kevin in the game to try and kill him for no good reason.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Joedgabe

@Newhopes said:

sadly GS doesn't do .1 - 9 scale anymore other wise this seemed like it would have gotten a 9.5ish from some comments.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Xaero_Gravity

Sooooo... Who wants to get a petition for PS4/X1 versions going? :D

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 the_bi99man

@Joedgabe said:

@Newhopes said:

sadly GS doesn't do .1 - 9 scale anymore other wise this seemed like it would have gotten a 9.5ish from some comments.

Yeah, the tone of the review seemed like he really wanted to give it the absolute best score he was allowed to, without going "perfect 10" (because no game has ever actually deserved that, or ever will).

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Joedgabe

@the_bi99man said:

@Joedgabe said:

@Newhopes said:

Yeah, the tone of the review seemed like he really wanted to give it the absolute best score he was allowed to, without going "perfect 10" (because no game has ever actually deserved that, or ever will).

I personally think it's a very bad idea for GS to spoil the 10 so much. It doesn't mean the game is perfect or that is the best game above all but simply saying that is a pretty solid game with no drawbacks. When they do give a 10 all hell will break lose and as fun as it sounds the 10 shouldn't be spoiled that much.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#247 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Can't wait to pick this up!

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By jake44

@_Matt_ said:

@jake44 said:

@_Matt_ said:

Fire weapons huh? Are they versatile enough for the whole game?

I've never really had a fire weapon in Dark Souls, you upgrade them from the skele blacksmith no?

Yeah, the blacksmith in the catacombs. Once you get to Anor Londo get a lightning weapon as well.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By silversix_

So i've just checked GT's review of dark souls 2 and they said you can now respec all your attribute points late game. Now this is fking amazing and about time we have the option in a Souls game.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#250  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Eh still have no interest. I still feel demon souls was a better game then dark souls and that game just left a bad taste in my mouth.