Crytek Announces Official Linux Support Ahead Of GDC

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

ummmm... who actually uses linux? except those 2 people in future who will buy Steambox.

so the example I have been giving is this...

the market of linux based smart phone apps was very small until google decided to make android.

yeah, sure, BUT there's no Steambox in sight that could even handle CryEngine... am i missing something? i mean, those puny boxes look like they are designed to run Angry Birds only when it comes to hardware.

IF they were gaming-capable, they'd basicly just be $100 cheaper than PCs (Windows price).

yes you are missing something.

Those boxes range from $500 to $6,000 and the vast majority of them are more powerful then 'next gen' consoles.

Additionally, some of those small boxes are revolutionary in specs for the size

yeah ok i get that, but what makes them better than Windows PC? that's what i'm curious about.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

ummmm... who actually uses linux? except those 2 people in future who will buy Steambox.

Ugh, you jokers with your out of date market share jokes are always too endearing. Didn't know that GameSpot lowered the minimum age requirement from 13 to "Toddlers are welcome! :-D"

wow you sound like such an adult! dat wisdommmm! ooooh!

so you are saying Steam boxes are selling like hot cakes?

Oooooh, are you saying they're not? Oooooh, baby, baby, oooooh, they're not even out yet. How's that for being judgemental?

i have no idea what your comment was about then. did i offend you? are you married to a Steam box perhaps?

I was merely being logical by stating that they are not available for purchase yet, so we can't judge on sales. Going by Valve's actions, however, and actions speak louder than words, Valve is doing everything right thus far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

Ugh, you jokers with your out of date market share jokes are always too endearing. Didn't know that GameSpot lowered the minimum age requirement from 13 to "Toddlers are welcome! :-D"

Oooooh, are you saying they're not? Oooooh, baby, baby, oooooh, they're not even out yet. How's that for being judgemental?

i have no idea what your comment was about then. did i offend you? are you married to a Steam box perhaps?

I was merely being logical by stating that they are not available for purchase yet, so we can't judge on sales. Going by Valve's actions, however, and actions speak louder than words, Valve is doing everything right thus far.

i trust that Valve is a company that knows what they are doing, but i must say i don't understand who they are selling those Steam boxes to. i mean, are you interested in one as a PC gamer? would you sacrifice Windows' versatility over a SteamOS? i know i wouldn't. i also have hard time believing they could get console gamers to hop on board. anytime soon atleast.

i just want to know who would buy it and why, because i don't understand it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

i trust that Valve is a company that knows what they are doing, but i must say i don't understand who they are selling those Steam boxes to. i mean, are you interested in one as a PC gamer? would you sacrifice Windows' versatility over a SteamOS? i know i wouldn't. i also have hard time believing they could get console gamers to hop on board. anytime soon atleast.

I think they are trying to answer the question I personally have been asking for a decade now..

'why hasnt anyone moved their PC to the living room where it makes sense to have it'?

that is my impression anyway.

Eh? Makes sense to have it in the living room? The living PC is a new thing....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

the market of linux based smart phone apps was very small until google decided to make android.

yeah, sure, BUT there's no Steambox in sight that could even handle CryEngine... am i missing something? i mean, those puny boxes look like they are designed to run Angry Birds only when it comes to hardware.

IF they were gaming-capable, they'd basicly just be $100 cheaper than PCs (Windows price).

Those boxes range from $500 to $6,000 and the vast majority of them are more powerful then 'next gen' consoles.

yeah ok i get that, but what makes them better than Windows PC? that's what i'm curious about.

They arent.

They are better than consoles

so why dont people move PCs to the living room? I dont know that is a question I have been asking for 10 years.

i have PC in my workroom, but wired with HDMI to livingroom for gamepad-gaming and movies, so yeah, it's the best thing for everything.

but it's the price that puts off the mainstream. i'm not sure if $500 Steam box is better for gaming than PS4...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 clyde46

@SEANMCAD said:

@clyde46 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

I think they are trying to answer the question I personally have been asking for a decade now..

'why hasnt anyone moved their PC to the living room where it makes sense to have it'?

that is my impression anyway.

Eh? Makes sense to have it in the living room? The living PC is a new thing....

yes..it makes sense...consoles are basically PCs. just bad ones.

No, they are not PC's.... Can I write my CV on a PS4? Can I edit some GoPro footage on a X1? Sure they may have the same parts as a PC but they are not PC's and never will be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

They arent.

They are better than consoles

so why dont people move PCs to the living room? I dont know that is a question I have been asking for 10 years.

i have PC in my workroom, but wired with HDMI to livingroom for gamepad-gaming and movies, so yeah, it's the best thing for everything.

but it's the price that puts off the mainstream. i'm not sure if $500 Steam box is better for gaming than PS4...

well the thing is most people (at least pre-tablet era) already have a PC.

In fact, here is in effect what people have been doing for 10 years.

-buy a PC for more than $500 to surf the internet in the study or bedroom

-buy a console for less $500 to play video games on in the living room with less access to the internet then a PC.

-spend around $1k-4k on surround sound system that only plays sound

-and then say the price point on consoles have to be low while their PC sits in the other room doing nothing.

Makes zero fucking sense to me

i agree with that 100%. i've been saying the same thing. with a littlebit of planning you could have a superior gaming device and work/study computer all in one cute package and with the same pricetag.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#64 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:

Gee, I wonder why they downgraded the threat level. Typical misdirected animosity? This is System Wars. Don't paint yourself any better as that would be laughably hypocritical. Do some more research next time. Maybe you'll be surprised. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Linux has Valve's full backing with Valve providing all of its games and several important bits of software it created and then open sourced. You can spin it any way you like but at the end of the day, Valve is supporting Linux all the way and that's just how it is. I am sorry if that offends you in any way as your continuous jabs appear to indicate. Perhaps there is something that is causing this misdirected animosity, I do not know, but frankly, keep that stuff out of System Wars.

Got a link to those claims? Because developers are saying that Linux sales for their games are strangely close to Mac OS sales despite Linux having 0.00001% market share as you so asininely state. Again, at the end of the day, overall market share of individual platforms isn't worth dung when sales are so darn close together. Sucks, dunnit?

I skipped it because I did not see it as relevant. Do enlighten me as to why I should giving a flying Jobs about it.

You know it's going badly when you choose to adopt the rhetoric of the person you're quoting...

Valve's use of Linux is meaningless, as is Google's use of Linux. It means nothing for the infinitesimal Linux userbase. It means free OS, that's all. There is no special magic in Linux, it's just free. For end-users, real, actual Linux (Mint, Ubuntu, or even the wee Puppy) users, it's all meaningless.

And why are you asking for links but failing to give them while stating "facts" and telling me to do my own research? Doesn't that make you the hypocrite?

Also, this -- "Again, at the end of the day, overall market share of individual platforms isn't worth dung when sales are so darn close together. Sucks, dunnit?" -- is truly hilarious. I'm literally laughing out loud in my office. What are you even talking about?? lol

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 clyde46

@SEANMCAD said:

@clyde46 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

yes..it makes sense...consoles are basically PCs. just bad ones.

No, they are not PC's.... Can I write my CV on a PS4? Can I edit some GoPro footage on a X1? Sure they may have the same parts as a PC but they are not PC's and never will be.

for those with technical knowledge they know a console is basically a PC. It has a GPU, it has CPU, it has RAM and it has an operating system.

With some tools and a few phone calls I could make a PC walk and talk just like a console.

Which is basically what Valve is doing

So we are back where we started. For those with technical knowledge will already own a kick ass PC..... I don't see this Steambox taking off, its just another expensive pre-built that is restricted by the Linux OS. Will the Steambox be able to run Titanfall? Battlefield 4 or COD Ghosts? Can it run the next Fifa or Madden? That is what console gamers are looking for and the Steambox doesn't have them.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

ewww crytek. I suppose is better than not having anything.. but it's the same as not gaining anything good at all though.

Their PC only titles were all AAA I think. This might actually be good.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 musicalmac  Moderator

@clyde46 said:

So we are back where we started. For those with technical knowledge will already own a kick ass PC..... I don't see this Steambox taking off, its just another expensive pre-built that is restricted by the Linux OS. Will the Steambox be able to run Titanfall? Battlefield 4 or COD Ghosts? Can it run the next Fifa or Madden? That is what console gamers are looking for and the Steambox doesn't have them.

Yout wait -- HalfLife 3 will be Steambox exclusive..... (lol)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By clyde46

@musicalmac said:

@clyde46 said:

Its not that hard to run a VM.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 musicalmac  Moderator

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

@clyde46 said:

Its not that hard to run a VM.

I was just teasing. ;)

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

seriously. a lot of people are ignorant. ignorant about computers, ignorant about operating systems, and so on.

This is good news for every potential gamer across the globe. It's good news for you even if you don't understand why. This is definitely not bad news for anyone.

People don't seem to understand the difference between Microsoft Windows, Steam OS, Linux, Ubuntu, 'PC', and so on. But that's expected.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@CrownKingArthur said:

seriously. a lot of people are ignorant. ignorant about computers, ignorant about operating systems, and so on.

This is good news for every potential gamer across the globe. It's good news for you even if you don't understand why. This is definitely not bad news for anyone.

People don't seem to understand the difference between Microsoft Windows, Steam OS, Linux, Ubuntu, 'PC', and so on. But that's expected.

i'm not sure where you are getting at, but the potential console-buyer knows a difference between $500 and $1000

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Heil68 said:

Linux? Who cares.

A bit over 1 million Steam users, and a hell of a lot more when including those who are watching how things unfold.

So hardly anyone out of the total Steam user base? Yep..lollinux it is.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 CrownKingArthur

@SEANMCAD: on the whole regarding what i'm talking about, the problem is education. there are certain questions people are asking in this thread which are totally malformed, and based on incorrect assumptions.

but yes i see what you mean, this is kind of similar to xbox one with it's family sharing - the "benefits" were not properly explained.

admittedly steam os benefits are minimal, but as far as i'm concerned here is what makes steam os hugely advantageous

1. runs on standard pc hardware

2. free

so at any time i can built a steam os machine out of spare parts. so could anyone else, whether they want to or not.

i've watched a steam developer day regarding porting games to linux, the information was really good and it sounded like the talk was attended by quite an audience. very interesting watch if you're keen, sean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8ie5R4CVE

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 CrownKingArthur
@groowagon said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

i'm not sure where you are getting at, but the potential console-buyer knows a difference between $500 and $1000

value?

that's great that potential console buyers understand the concept of value. because steam os is the best value possible, on par with ubuntu.

furthermore, steam boxes are essentially 'PC', therefore they should cost the same as a Windows based PC, but subtract the cost of the Windows licence.

but value can mean different things to different people. for some people, the cost of the windows licence represents good value.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@Heil68 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Heil68 said:

Linux? Who cares.

A bit over 1 million Steam users, and a hell of a lot more when including those who are watching how things unfold.

So hardly anyone out of the total Steam user base? Yep..lollinux it is.

before Android was released linux apps on phones was zero...

think hard on that!

*Thinks Hard*, Yep lollinux ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@CrownKingArthur said:
@groowagon said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

value?

that's great that potential console buyers understand the concept of value. because steam os is the best value possible, on par with ubuntu.

furthermore, steam boxes are essentially 'PC', therefore they should cost the same as a Windows based PC, but subtract the cost of the Windows licence.

but value can mean different things to different people. for some people, the cost of the windows licence represents good value.

i think gaming PC, although initially more expensive, is better value than console, but console buyer doesn't think so. i have hard time believing they'd change their opinion on Steam OS machine.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 CrownKingArthur

@SEANMCAD: ok, i see what you are saying. 'pc' as a buzzword could scare some people away from steam os? yes?

but at the same time, if I thought steam boxes couldn't be upgraded like standard pc hardware, i'd be less interested.

but again playing my devil's advocate, i am well aware of what steamos/steamboxes are. i don't need to be marketed to in order to understand/adopt steam os.

so yeah, i take your point. but i don't know, if steam os is free ... is marketing it a good idea? sounds like an expense with no direct return on investment?

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

I have trouble understanding what the 0.3% of the people that use linux see in it for home use.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@SEANMCAD said:

@Jamex1987 said:

I have trouble understanding what the 0.3% of the people that use linux see in it for home use.

what was the % of Linux users in the smart phone market before android was created?

On a more gradual level the answer is mostly its modular approach. You can make a slim OS for very specific needs.

i will gladly become a believer when it becomes a multi-purpose OS where i can run Adobe Suite, 3dsmax, Autocad etc. until then, i can see it only as a high-priced alternative to console gaming.

because, well, currently SteamOS is all about gaming. if it's not, they are doing terrible job explaining it. gaming is all i've heard them talk about.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 CrownKingArthur
@groowagon said:

i think gaming PC, although initially more expensive, is better value than console, but console buyer doesn't think so. i have hard time believing they'd change their opinion on Steam OS machine.

yeap. i agree with you, that's probably their mindset.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@Jamex1987 said:

what was the % of Linux users in the smart phone market before android was created?

On a more gradual level the answer is mostly its modular approach. You can make a slim OS for very specific needs.

i will gladly become a believer when it becomes a multi-purpose OS where i can run Adobe Suite, 3dsmax, Autocad etc. until then, i can see it only as a high-priced alternative to console gaming.

because, well, currently SteamOS is all about gaming. if it's not, they are doing terrible job explaining it. gaming is all i've heard them talk about.

So here is some interesting facts (and I am sorry I dont have a link)

The leading use of a PC in the homes is not Adobe Suite, 3dsmax, Autocad but rather Chrome, Firefox, IE and video games.

I am not making this up this is something they know from studies.

That is why it makes sense now in 2014 to have an OS for the home that mets home needs. If people like me who work from home as a developer I can buy a full blown windows but for most people a silm specific OS makes a shit ton of sense.

yeah well it's still hard for me too see a casual (not tech-savvy) person opting for a SteamOS machine. it requires a gamer to buy one, and a gamer with enough money. i could see such person going for PC instead.

what is the benefit of gaming Steam box compared to gaming PC? you save about $100 (OEM Windows is cheap) in the free OS. you lose the versatility of Windows PC in that trade. it's just not worth it, imo :/

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Yay! Tech demos on Linux! :D

:P

My thought exactly :)

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#91  Edited By way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

Lolinux.

Aren't you the Mac OS user?

OSX is custom FreeBSD, not linux.

OSX is NOT custom FreeBSD. That is a very naive perspective on OSX. What OSX does have is a unix emulation layer built into the operating system, which is NOT the same as being unix, or BSD or linux.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Hexagon_777
@SEANMCAD said:

does anyone really think they did this for any other reason OTHER than for SteamOS?

I do. Star Citizen, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and whatever other CryEngine games coming out soon whose developers have expressed interest in Linux. It's a combination of these factors.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#94 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Open source is the future and I realized it when in my work we migrated the environment from linux to windows and now most things don't work like they should and aren't as smooth. At the end you'll see that games will play better on linux because of the much lower overheads. On windows you have so much bloat eating your cpu cycles and ram like: UAC, windows security center, smart screen filter, windows defender, the incredibly useless diagnostic services, the slowpoke homegroup, software protective services that you cannot turn off, etc. all running at the same time even when you don't need it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#96  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

for those with technical knowledge they know a console is basically a PC. It has a GPU, it has CPU, it has RAM and it has an operating system.

With some tools and a few phone calls I could make a PC walk and talk just like a console.

dude, I don't want to say that you have no idea what you're talking about but you really are talking nothing but nonsense. Even a 30 years old Nes had a CPU, it had a GPU (or how they were called back in the day, PPU, Picture Processing Unit), Ram and an OS. Or else, how the hell do you think the components interact with each other to produce an image? Like seriously... Your technical knowledge is at 0% just based on that horrible argument of yours. =/

So smartphones are PC's too? Because they have ram, cpu and gpu too just like a PC. 0_O

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CrownKingArthur
@Gue1 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

dude, I don't want to say that you have no idea what you're talking about but you really are talking nothing but nonsense. Even a 30 years old Nes had a CPU, it had a GPU (or how they were called back in the day, PPU, Picture Processing Unit), Ram and an OS. Or else, how the hell do you think the components interact with each other to produce an image? Like seriously... Your technical knowledge is at 0% just based on that horrible argument of yours. =/

i don't understand.

you're botharguing forconsoles having CPUs, GPUs, RAM and an OS?

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#99 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@way2funny said:

@farrell2k said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

Lolinux.

Aren't you the Mac OS user?

OSX is custom FreeBSD, not linux.

OSX is NOT custom FreeBSD. That is a very naive perspective on OSX. What OSX does have is a unix emulation layer built into the operating system, which is NOT the same as being unix, or BSD or linux.

OSX's XNU kernel is a custom version of the same kernel from an older version of freebsd. Don't bother arguing; you are wrong.

OSX's operating system built for object orientation. That makes OSX fundamentally different than freebsd. You shouldn't bother arguing with someone that has developed drivers for OSX. It is more unix and bsd inspired than it is a custom version of FreeBSD.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Hexagon_777
@SEANMCAD said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@SEANMCAD said:

does anyone really think they did this for any other reason OTHER than for SteamOS?

I do. Star Citizen, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and whatever other CryEngine games coming out soon whose developers have expressed interest in Linux. It's a combination of these factors.

Is there honestly real interest in Linux gaming outside of Steam OS?

I suggest that this news is directly related to Steam Machines

The Humble Bundles were there before Steam for Linux, were they not? There are also a bunch of FOSS games, but they are tiny in comparison. The Humble Bundles really kicked things off, and Kickstarter helped a whole lot as well. Steam OS and the Steam Machines came after.