Crytek Announces Official Linux Support Ahead Of GDC

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Link. Most pleasing this is. What do the haters say?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Lolinux.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

ewww crytek. I suppose is better than not having anything.. but it's the same as not gaining anything good at all though.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hexagon_777
@musicalmac said:

Lolinux.

Aren't you the Mac OS user?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 musicalmac  Moderator

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

Lolinux.

Yes, I am the only one.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

linux 64bit ftw

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Reaction to SteamOS probably. More license money inbound.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexagon_777
@farrell2k said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

Lolinux.

OSX is custom FreeBSD, not linux.

Who said otherwise?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i think it would be better for linux if crytek kept their junk of it. seriously who buys what they make anyway

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hexagon_777

Has anybody else noticed that Mac OS was simply skipped? Or am I not seeing something?

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Good. Hope it pisses Microsoft off.

RpgGamer23q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#14 RpgGamer23q
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:

Has anybody else noticed that Mac OS was simply skipped? Or am I not seeing something?

who cares both Linux and Mac OS are trash for gaming.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hexagon_777
@farrell2k said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@farrell2k said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

Lolinux.

OSX is custom FreeBSD, not linux.

Who said otherwise?

Oh, god...

Precisely, you misunderstood me. Taking a jab at Linux when one is a Mac OS user (and therefore in no position to take jabs at Linux) is amusing to say the least.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hexagon_777
@RpgGamer23q said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

who cares both Linux and Mac OS are trash for gaming.

Times are changing. Maybe not for Mac OS, but surely for Linux. A year ago, gaming on Linux was barely even a thing, and now people like you are saying it's trash for gaming. You put it on the same level as Mac OS, and all within a year. Hot damn, System Wars jam.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

The more the merrier. Been depended on 1 company only ( in this case MS ) not a good think

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musicalmac  Moderator

@Hexagon_777 said:

Precisely, you misunderstood me. Taking a jab at Linux when one is a Mac OS user (and therefore in no position to take jabs at Linux) is amusing to say the least.

How am I in no position to take jabs at the least important consumer operating system available right now? Linux was fun to play with in college, but then I grew up. The terminal is still there in OSX if I really need it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Be cool if they started making good games again as well.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Never tried Linux, but always good to see a competitor to MS, especially after that windows 8 garbage. Wonder if Valve was involved in Crytek' decision here.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hexagon_777
@musicalmac said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

How am I in no position to take jabs at the least important consumer operating system available right now? Linux was fun to play with in college, but then I grew up. The terminal is still there in OSX if I really need it.

Even Microsoft thinks Linux is a bigger competitor than Apple. Also, this is System Wars. This place is about gaming. Linux has Valve's full backing, Crytek is on board, and so on. Saying you grew up by switching to a very limited and expensive fashion accessory is you being funny, right? Heck, the only reason Mac OS got all of Valve's games in the end is because they were being brought to Linux anyway. To have the audacity to even think you are in a position to take jabs is outrageous.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hexagon_777
@uninspiredcup said:

Consider games like Star Citizen that aren't by Crytek but use CryEngine. Kingdom Come: Deliverance as well. There are several others too. Interesting stuff.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Consider games like Star Citizen that aren't by Crytek but use CryEngine. Kingdom Come: Deliverance as well. There are several others too. Interesting stuff.

My friend, I really don;t give a shit about the cryengine.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

Even Microsoft thinks Linux is a bigger competitor than Apple. Also, this is System Wars. This place is about gaming. Linux has Valve's full backing, Crytek is on board, and so on. Saying you grew up by switching to a very limited and expensive fashion accessory is you being funny, right? Heck, the only reason Mac OS got all of Valve's games in the end is because they were being brought to Linux anyway. To have the audacity to even think you are in a position to take jabs is outrageous.

As is typical with this sort of misdirected animosity, your sources are old and your knowledge of the real world is stunted. In 2011 (two years after the fossilized 2009 link you provided), Microsoft officially downgraded Linux' threat level. If you have a more recent source that contradicts mine, I'd love to see it. I love surprises but am so rarely surprised in this arena.

Linux doesn't have Valve's backing, Linux is being used by Valve to avoid paying big licensing fees. It's has nothing to do with Linux and everything to do with the bottom dollar. Apple got Steam support because it's relevant, the market share is growing (Apple has been outpacing the PC market for years now), and Apple users tend to be more affluent and therefore have more disposable income. It's a smart thing to do.

And imagining desktop Linux as a greater threat than the company with enough liquid assets to buy all of Microsoft TWICEis really hilarious.

EDIT: Do you know what the terminal in OSX is? Did you conveniently skip that bit?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hexagon_777
@uninspiredcup said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, I really don;t give a shit about the cryengine.

You gave enough of a shit to take a jab at Crytek, so I thought I'd inform you that CryEngine games aren't limited to Crytek. Whether your shits expire that quickly or not, I do not know or care, but you've been informed.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

0.1% will be happy

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777
@Scipio8 said:

0.1% will be happy

Old. Stop living in the past.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 musicalmac  Moderator

@Scipio8 said:

0.1% will be happy

.000001% will be happy. Maybe a few less.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 musicalmac  Moderator

@SEANMCAD said:
@Scipio8 said:

0.1% will be happy

http://www.muktware.com/2014/02/say-goodbye-free-time-steam-linux-content-rises-900/21373

linux gaming has grown 900%

900% from what to what? I couldn't find that stat in the article. Did I miss a link?

Linux games being available on Steam isn't to support the .000001% of desktop Linux tinkerers, it's to support Valve's Steam boxes. I don't think it's going to ignite a Linux revolution. Windows 8 isn't THAT bad.

Your parents and grandparents will just keep buying iPads and skipping desktops all together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

ummmm... who actually uses linux? except those 2 people in future who will buy Steambox.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 musicalmac  Moderator

@SEANMCAD said:

@musicalmac

Consider this...before Xbox ever came out there was zero percent games that supported it.

Dont think of Steam Machine as a linux box anymore than Galaxy Note is a linux phone (which it is)

I'm not sure... but I think we agree... But again, I'm not entirely sure...

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 musicalmac  Moderator

@SEANMCAD said:

@musicalmac

What I am saying is that the spike in Linux gaming is because of Steam Machine and I would expect it to increase dramatically because of it.

Just like there was not any linux based phone apps before google decided to make a phone based on linux.

Right, I'm pretty sure now that we agree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@SEANMCAD said:

@groowagon said:

ummmm... who actually uses linux? except those 2 people in future who will buy Steambox.

so the example I have been giving is this...

the market of linux based smart phone apps was very small until google decided to make android.

yeah, sure, BUT there's no Steambox in sight that could even handle CryEngine... am i missing something? i mean, those puny boxes look like they are designed to run Angry Birds only when it comes to hardware.

IF they were gaming-capable, they'd basicly just be $100 cheaper than PCs (Windows price).

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hexagon_777
@musicalmac said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

As is typical with this sort of misdirected animosity, your sources are old and your knowledge of the real world is stunted. In 2011 (two years after the fossilized 2009 link you provided), Microsoft officially downgraded Linux' threat level. If you have a more recent source that contradicts mine, I'd love to see it. I love surprises but am so rarely surprised in this arena.

Linux doesn't have Valve's backing, Linux is being used by Valve to avoid paying big licensing fees. It's has nothing to do with Linux and everything to do with the bottom dollar. Apple got Steam support because it's relevant, the market share is growing (Apple has been outpacing the PC market for years now), and Apple users tend to be more affluent and therefore have more disposable income. It's a smart thing to do.

And imagining desktop Linux as a greater threat than the company with enough liquid assets to buy all of Microsoft TWICEis really hilarious.

EDIT: Do you know what the terminal in OSX is? Did you conveniently skip that bit?

Gee, I wonder why they downgraded the threat level. Typical misdirected animosity? This is System Wars. Don't paint yourself any better as that would be laughably hypocritical. Do some more research next time. Maybe you'll be surprised. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Linux has Valve's full backing with Valve providing all of its games and several important bits of software it created and then open sourced. You can spin it any way you like but at the end of the day, Valve is supporting Linux all the way and that's just how it is. I am sorry if that offends you in any way as your continuous jabs appear to indicate. Perhaps there is something that is causing this misdirected animosity, I do not know, but frankly, keep that stuff out of System Wars.

Got a link to those claims? Because developers are saying that Linux sales for their games are strangely close to Mac OS sales despite Linux having 0.00001% market share as you so asininely state. Again, at the end of the day, overall market share of individual platforms isn't worth dung when sales are so darn close together. Sucks, dunnit?

I skipped it because I did not see it as relevant. Do enlighten me as to why I should giving a flying Jobs about it.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hexagon_777
@groowagon said:

Ugh, you jokers with your out of date market share jokes are always too endearing. Didn't know that GameSpot lowered the minimum age requirement from 13 to "Toddlers are welcome! :-D"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

Ugh, you jokers with your out of date market share jokes are always too endearing. Didn't know that GameSpot lowered the minimum age requirement from 13 to "Toddlers are welcome! :-D"

wow you sound like such an adult! dat wisdommmm! ooooh!

so you are saying Steam boxes are selling like hot cakes?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Linux? Who cares.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hexagon_777
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

Oooooh, are you saying they're not? Oooooh, baby, baby, oooooh, they're not even out yet. How's that for being judgemental?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hexagon_777
@Heil68 said:

Linux? Who cares.

A bit over 1 million Steam users, and a hell of a lot more when including those who are watching how things unfold.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@groowagon said:

Oooooh, are you saying they're not? Oooooh, baby, baby, oooooh, they're not even out yet. How's that for being judgemental?

i have no idea what your comment was about then. did i offend you? are you married to a Steam box perhaps?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Good news! Now all we need is Crytek to start making good games again, but at least this means other developers can make good CE games with Linux support. Also SC for Linux users.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@musicalmac said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

Oh man, you so mad.