CryEngine Three Years Ahead of Unreal Engine 4, Says Crytek

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#101 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Horray for Engine Wars!

This is the kind of competition we need to see great advancements in the game engine. Crytek vs. Epic. Both make fantastic engines and both open their engines up to the public for open use.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="soapandbubbles"] you saying they don't deliver? call_of_duty_10

I would say yeah. They have this almighty engine yet the games on it are less than desireable. Crysis 2 was meh and so will Crysis 3

Wait...I thought you liked crysis 2! I remember your post on the screenshot thread. You said that you found crysis 2 to be a great game!

Story wise and atmosphere it gets a lot of bad press which I don't think it deserves, it's derivative and cliched "sci-fi attack on earth" stuff but I think it pulled it off pretty well. The gameplay though was streamlined and gutted which I did not care for. and the more I go back to the game even modded I am starting to dislike the visuals more and more. After playing BF3 for so long and even going back to Crysis 1 a while back I realised C2 isn't all that spectacular.

Still like the story and atmosphere though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Horray for Engine Wars!

This is the kind of competition we need to see great advancements in the game engine. Crytek vs. Epic. Both make fantastic engines and both open their engines up to the public for open use.

Wasdie

I wonder how soon is "soon" when he said we would see the next iteration of CE. I would like to see it

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Horray for Engine Wars!

seanmcloughlin

I wonder how soon is "soon" when he said we would see the next iteration of CE. I would like to see it

Well we saw CryEngine 2 back in 06/07, then we saw CE3's demo in 2010/2011, so maybe they'll unveil it in 2013 with a game in 2014.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Horray for Engine Wars!

ChubbyGuy40

Well we saw CryEngine 2 back in 06/07, then we saw CE3's demo in 2010/2011, so maybe they'll unveil it in 2013 with a game in 2014.

That seems probable actually. My guess is the engine will be better than the game :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Dont really care, just give me good games.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Crytek talks too much nowadays....:oops: I can bet my life Unreal Engine 4 will be what Unreal engine 3 was this gen.

DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 DemoPan7
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts

Crytek talks too much nowadays....:oops: I can bet my life Unreal Engine 4 will be what Unreal engine 3 was this gen.

Jamiemydearx3
So then it'll be another overrated, overused, incredibly buggy, horribly optimized engine that will be outdated a year after it's flagship title is released? (gears 2006 < crysis 2007)
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 NoodleFighter  Online
Member since 2011 • 11808 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Perhaps it can. HAS it?Nope. And thats all that matters. Until CE3 produces a game that looks better than mirror's edge,it will be inferior to UE in my eyes. If it does,I will consider it to be better than UE. All that theoretical power is useless unless the engine makes the best looking game.call_of_duty_10

BUT MIRROR'S EDGE IS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE ART STYLE Crysis is technically waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Mirror's Edge.

They both have the same artstyle....realism. As I said,"Technology is only a tool.The end product,the result,is what matters". How does C2's technical superiority matter when it looks worse than Mirror's edge? ... Btw,I really must go now.I wish we could continue this argument,but I cant stay. Good bye.

Never mind that nearly everything in Mirrors edge is a solid color

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
Questionable statement, but Crytek should focus on making better games. jg4xchamp
Very true. They are pretty bad when it comes to making games. They are a games engine company IMO.
DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 DemoPan7
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Questionable statement, but Crytek should focus on making better games. lhughey
Very true. They are pretty bad when it comes to making games. They are a games engine company IMO.

3 AAA games, 1 Shooter GOTY and 1 AA game that would've been AAA if it had better A.I. = bad at making games?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="lhughey"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Questionable statement, but Crytek should focus on making better games. DemoPan7

3 AAA games, 1 Shooter GOTY and 1 AA game that would've been AAA if it had better A.I. = bad at making games?

Stripping the great parts from your game to make it more casual is bad. Whatever about scores and such, Crysis 1 was revolutionary in some of the things it did and it wasn't like a normal shooter. Crysis 2 was. It was linear and they gutted the way the suit worked completely and made it noob friendly.

Also not to mention it felt like they had betrayed their PC followers because C2 was a huge step backwards for the series

DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 DemoPan7

[QUOTE="DemoPan7"][QUOTE="lhughey"] Very true. They are pretty bad when it comes to making games. They are a games engine company IMO.seanmcloughlin

Stripping the great parts from your game to make it more casual is bad. Whatever about scores and such, Crysis 1 was revolutionary in some of the things it did and it wasn't like a normal shooter. Crysis 2 was. It was linear and they gutted the way the suit worked completely and made it noob friendly.

Also not to mention it felt like they had betrayed their PC followers because C2 was a huge step backwards for the series

so making 1 non-legendary yet still good game = crytek being bad at making games? PC gamers are so butthurt it's insane wow. and they didn't gut the suit they added a bunch of features to it and streamlined things to make it more useful.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#114 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]1. F*** OFF Crytek 2. Sell Timesplitters IP to someone (like EA) 3. I dont like the cryengine 3 engine 4. Epic > Crytek /end rant

1. Crytek is a good company that makes good games. 2. You want them to sell Timesplitters to EA so they can force a team that had no involvement with the original games to force them to push out game after game, destroying the IP. 3. Not sure why you don't like Cryengine, it has pumped out some of the best graphics of this gen, but that is your opinion. 4. Unreal Engine makes everything look shiny and like plastic. When it comes to pure power Cryengine>>>Unreal Engine.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 rockydog1111
[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]It's sickening the amount of hate it's getting from my fellow hermits just because they made one crap game(crysis 2) out of 3 games they made in total, and the rest of the two are fantastic games. Crysis 3 is still in development let's give them a chance, it could be that they learnt their lesson after crysis 2. I just can't understand the hate for crytek from my fellow hermits. Crytek switch to multiplatform development from PC Exclusive devlopment while Epic completely ditched the PC platform and I can't understand the hermit's love for Epic games. And yes Cryengine 3 was doing all those things 3 years before and is much easier to use, speaking from my experience of the SDK.

I agree with you 100%. Though I've never played Crysis 2, the game got good reviews pretty much everywhere. It doesn't sound like it lived up to one or Warhead, but it doesn't sound like it was bad or awful like people make it out to be.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 rockydog1111

Star Wars 1313 uses Unreal Engine 3.0 and looks way better than anything Cryengine has come up with

loosingENDS
Unreal Technology, but it is so modified it may as well not be called Unreal Engine 3 though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="DemoPan7"] 3 AAA games, 1 Shooter GOTY and 1 AA game that would've been AAA if it had better A.I. = bad at making games? DemoPan7

so making 1 non-legendary yet still good game = crytek being bad at making games? PC gamers are so butthurt it's insane wow. and they didn't gut the suit they added a bunch of features to it and streamlined things to make it more useful.

If they made the suit more useful then they would have kept it the same for Crysis 3 but they're changing it back because it was far too streamlined and casual, it required no thinking to use. And the fact you couldn't sprint at all without using up suit energy. Made you feel really sluggish and slow.

Also it's not that they just made C2 bad, they have just being doing a lot of talk lately and nothing else. They went multiplat and even they said it failed slightly and backfired on them because C2 didn't sell enough. They also didn't even have Dx11 in C2 until months later, which not only made PC gamers annoyed but made them look incompetent too. Now they're gone almost completely F2P and the games that use the engine not made by Crytek are pretty meh and leave a lot to be desired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Star Wars 1313 uses Unreal Engine 3.0 and looks way better than anything Cryengine has come up with

rockydog1111

Unreal Technology, but it is so modified it may as well not be called Unreal Engine 3 though.

It's still UE3 at the end of the day and it was their go to engine of choice so it must be doing something right. And Star Wars 1313 is the closest thing to in game CGI that we've ever seen

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Jamiemydearx3

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

DemoPan7

So then it'll be another overrated, overused, incredibly buggy, horribly optimized engine that will be outdated a year after it's flagship title is released? (gears 2006 < crysis 2007)

it'll make lots and lots of profit, vs Crytek's Cryengine which well...Let's say didn't make as much. ;) And in this industry that's all these companies really care about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine#Games_using_CryENGINE

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 NoodleFighter  Online

[QUOTE="DemoPan7"][QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

Jamiemydearx3

it'll make lots and lots of profit, vs Crytek's Cryengine which well...Let's say didn't make as much. ;) And in this industry that's all these companies really care about.

I'd just like to point out that Unreal Engine 3 has been around longer than CryEngine 3 for the general public

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jamiemydearx3

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

[QUOTE="DemoPan7"]So then it'll be another overrated, overused, incredibly buggy, horribly optimized engine that will be outdated a year after it's flagship title is released? (gears 2006 < crysis 2007)NoodleFighter

I'd just like to point out that Unreal Engine 3 has been around longer than CryEngine 3 for the general public

Oh really. Captain obvious, try comparing all Crytek's engines vs. Unreal 3...See who has more games. :lol:

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Crytek is so full of **** it's not even funny.

Though I must say, for all they do wrong, the new AA method that'll be used in Crysis 3 on console (SMAA T2x) is a step better than either FXAA or MLAA, and is actually really impressive. It completely eliminate's ghosting and works so much better on every type of edge than current console speed post processing method's, maybe even PC speed.

I'm not sure if Crytek's developed this themselve's or just helped, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

AA comparison vid You can also download it here to eliminate the video compression factor.

EDIT: BTW I know Crytek didn't make SMAA, i'm specifically talking about the T2x variation.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 NoodleFighter  Online

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"] it'll make lots and lots of profit, vs Crytek's Cryengine which well...Let's say didn't make as much. ;) And in this industry that's all these companies really care about.

Jamiemydearx3

Oh really. Captain obvious, try comparing all Crytek's engines vs. Unreal 3...See who has more games. :lol:

Where CryEngine 1 and 2 even marketed as AAA multiplatform development engines with free SDKs for the public and etc to use?

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Crytek's engine seems to be alot more dynamic and flexible if you ask me. People are judging soley on the visuals, but Crytek includes inengine physics system that beats most.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Jamiemydearx3

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

NoodleFighter

Where CryEngine 1 and 2 even marketed as AAA multiplatform development engines with free SDKs for the public and etc to use?

Were*, you tell me? Try researching it.