CryEngine Three Years Ahead of Unreal Engine 4, Says Crytek

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
1. F*** OFF Crytek 2. Sell Timesplitters IP to someone (like EA) 3. I dont like the cryengine 3 engine 4. Epic > Crytek /end rant
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Source engine is better than both

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Hopefully with Crysis 3 the DX11 will be optimized well like BF3. Crysis 2 DX11 runs like ass in comparison.Grawse

Might be less an engine issue and more that crytek is just a buch of dipsh!ts when it comes to how they use it.

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
of course it is
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Ah, yes, more empty hype and PR bullsh!t from Crytek.

It's hilarious when you consider the fact that this is a company that basically scrubbed out of big-budget game development.

Tell me, how'a that plan to go free-to-play working out for you? :lol:

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

He kinda speaks the truth even though he comes off as a Dbag. Cryengine has been doing everything in real time while UE4 has just started doing stuff in realtime. Epic is kinda playing catchup now.

Pikachu69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Pikachu69er
Member since 2012 • 1381 Posts

shut up and make timesplitters you basement dwelling nerds

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts
It's sickening the amount of hate it's getting from my fellow hermits just because they made one crap game(crysis 2) out of 3 games they made in total, and the rest of the two are fantastic games. Crysis 3 is still in development let's give them a chance, it could be that they learnt their lesson after crysis 2. I just can't understand the hate for crytek from my fellow hermits. Crytek switch to multiplatform development from PC Exclusive devlopment while Epic completely ditched the PC platform and I can't understand the hermit's love for Epic games. And yes Cryengine 3 was doing all those things 3 years before and is much easier to use, speaking from my experience of the SDK.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

He kinda speaks the truth even though he comes off as a Dbag. Cryengine has been doing everything in real time while UE4 has just started doing stuff in realtime. Epic is kinda playing catchup now.

painguy1

So it's all playing catch up with idTech4(doom3)? :?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]It's sickening the amount of hate it's getting from my fellow hermits just because they made one crap game(crysis 2) out of 3 games they made in total, and the rest of the two are fantastic games. Crysis 3 is still in development let's give them a chance, it could be that they learnt their lesson after crysis 2. I just can't understand the hate for crytek from my fellow hermits. Crytek switch to multiplatform development from PC Exclusive devlopment while Epic completely ditched the PC platform and I can't understand the hermit's love for Epic games. And yes Cryengine 3 was doing all those things 3 years before and is much easier to use, speaking from my experience of the SDK.

The criticism I've seen here doesn't sound like its coming from a jaded PC fanbase. It seems like legitimate concerns about Crytek's ability to market their own software and utilize their own software to the best of its abilities.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Star Wars 1313 uses Unreal Engine 3.0 and looks way better than anything Cryengine has come up with

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

Inconsistancy

uhhh wut? idtech4 became irrelelvent years ago. u cant compare the two. We aer talking about modern tech. Crytek made the effort to consistenty update their engine as much as possible where as idtech did not. idtech has become a pretty static engine as far as i can tell.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 painguy1

Star Wars 1313 uses Unreal Engine 3.0 and looks way better than anything Cryengine has come up with

loosingENDS

Star Wars 1313 is using a heavily modified version of UE3. You can buy the UE3 source for a pretty penny and modify it however u want. i wouldnt call it UE3 tbh.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

uhhh wut? idtech4 became irrelelvent years ago. u cant compare the two. We aer talking about modern tech. Crytek made the effort to consistenty update their engine as much as possible where as idtech did not. idtech has become a pretty static engine as far as i can tell.

Was just being pedantic :P, since you said UE4 just started to do stuff real time, and idTech4 was the first relatively modern engine to do all real time crap... Kinda funny that id went back to the baking everything as the focus in tech5.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] So it's all playing catch up with idTech4(doom3)? :?

Inconsistancy

Was just being pedantic :P, since you said UE4 just started to do stuff real time, and idTech4 was the first relatively modern engine to do all real time crap... Kinda funny that id went back to the baking everything as the focus in tech5.

Far Cry 1 released before Doom 3 and idTech4. Even the original Cryengine was doing the "What you see is what you play" stuff. That has kinda been Crytek's thing since their original tech demo.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

ferret-gamer

Far Cry 1 released before Doom 3 and idTech4. Even the original Cryengine was doing the "What you see is what you play" stuff. That has kinda been Crytek's thing since their original tech demo.

;lasdflsjdf

Pretty sure thems are baked shadow maps, not real time. Doom3 used no tricks, all the light/shadow was real time.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] So it's all playing catch up with idTech4(doom3)? :?

Inconsistancy

oh lol. its all good. :P

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 zeeshanhaider

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]It's sickening the amount of hate it's getting from my fellow hermits just because they made one crap game(crysis 2) out of 3 games they made in total, and the rest of the two are fantastic games. Crysis 3 is still in development let's give them a chance, it could be that they learnt their lesson after crysis 2. I just can't understand the hate for crytek from my fellow hermits. Crytek switch to multiplatform development from PC Exclusive devlopment while Epic completely ditched the PC platform and I can't understand the hermit's love for Epic games. And yes Cryengine 3 was doing all those things 3 years before and is much easier to use, speaking from my experience of the SDK.Vandalvideo
The criticism I've seen here doesn't sound like its coming from a jaded PC fanbase. It seems like legitimate concerns about Crytek's ability to market their own software and utilize their own software to the best of its abilities.

I agree about the marketing part but that doesn't mean that CryEngine3 is somehow inferior to UE4. What we see of UE4 as of now is only a tech demo and nothing else, and about using the engine to its full potential tell me any game on UE3 that looks better than Crysis 2 DX 11. We have seen the best of UE3 and it still doesn't come anywhere near of what CE3 is capabale of.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="soapandbubbles"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

PRTek.

seanmcloughlin

you saying they don't deliver?

I would say yeah. They have this almighty engine yet the games on it are less than desireable. Crysis 2 was meh and so will Crysis 3

Wait...I thought you liked crysis 2! I remember your post on the screenshot thread. You said that you found crysis 2 to be a great game!
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 call_of_duty_10

Hey crytek,your pos engine hasn't produced a game with graphics half as good as those in mirror's edge.

So stop spouting BS.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 zeeshanhaider

Hey crytek,your pos engine hasn't produced a game with graphics half as good as those in mirror's edge.

So stop spouting BS.

call_of_duty_10
Yeah everything rendered in realtime vs everything pre-baked. What a fair comparison.
mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mrfrosty151986
Member since 2012 • 533 Posts

After being extremely dissapointed with the all the tech videos and demo's of UE4 I can belive this...

mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 mrfrosty151986

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] Was just being pedantic :P, since you said UE4 just started to do stuff real time, and idTech4 was the first relatively modern engine to do all real time crap... Kinda funny that id went back to the baking everything as the focus in tech5.Inconsistancy

;lasdflsjdf

Pretty sure thems are baked shadow maps, not real time. Doom3 used no tricks, all the light/shadow was real time.

So was it far cry....

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 call_of_duty_10
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

So stop spouting BS.

zeeshanhaider
Yeah everything rendered in realtime vs everything pre-baked. What a fair comparison.

I am sure the latest build of UE3 can do the lighting in real time....Even mass effect 3 has real time shadows.
mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mrfrosty151986

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

So stop spouting BS.

call_of_duty_10

I am sure the latest build of UE3 can do the lighting in real time....Even mass effect 3 has real time shadows.

Mirrors edge had pre-baked and pre-caclulated global illumination, indirect lighting and other things backed into textures and you think that's fair?

Cryengine 2/3 does all that in REAL TIME....

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 call_of_duty_10

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"] Yeah everything rendered in realtime vs everything pre-baked. What a fair comparison.mrfrosty151986

Mirrors edge had pre-baked and pre-caclulated global illumination, indirect lighting and other things backed into textures and you think that's fair?

Does it really matter what method was used to achieve the graphics? As someone on SW used to say..."Technology is only a tool.The end product,the result,is what really matters." Mirrors edge does not use very advanced techniques but it looks better than crapsis 2.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 zeeshanhaider
[QUOTE="mrfrosty151986"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] I am sure the latest build of UE3 can do the lighting in real time....Even mass effect 3 has real time shadows.call_of_duty_10

Does it really matter what method was used to achieve the graphics? As someone on SW used to say..."Technology is only a tool.The end product,the result,is what really matters." Mirrors edge does not use very advanced techniques but it looks better than crapsis 2.

It does matter what technology is used otherwise how would you compare things objectively! Art direction is the subjective, what looks good to you may not look good to me.
mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mrfrosty151986

[QUOTE="mrfrosty151986"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] I am sure the latest build of UE3 can do the lighting in real time....Even mass effect 3 has real time shadows.call_of_duty_10

You don't have a decnt PC do you...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#80 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

shut up and make timesplitters you basement dwelling nerds

Pikachu69er
You don't have to compare yourself to them. ;)
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

So stop spouting BS.

zeeshanhaider

The lighting in Mirror's edge is real time.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 call_of_duty_10

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="mrfrosty151986"]

mrfrosty151986

*sigh* I fail to see how this is related to the discussion. My PC can run games released in 2012 on high/max settings.So no,that's not true. I just think that its stupid how people praise cryengine 3 because it has advanced graphics crap,which does NOT make the graphics better at all! Gta 4 with icenhancer beats crysis 2.How exactly is all that crap in cryengine 3 useful when ENB destroys it?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

So stop spouting BS.

parkurtommo

The lighting in Mirror's edge is real time.

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/henrikgdc09-compat

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 zeeshanhaider

[QUOTE="mrfrosty151986"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Does it really matter what method was used to achieve the graphics? As someone on SW used to say..."Technology is only a tool.The end product,the result,is what really matters." Mirrors edge does not use very advanced techniques but it looks better than crapsis 2. call_of_duty_10

*sigh* I fail to see how this is related to the discussion. My PC can run games released in 2012 on high/max settings.So no,that's not true. I just think that its stupid how people praise cryengine 3 because it has advanced graphics crap,which does NOT make the graphics better at all! Gta 4 with icenhancer beats crysis 2.How exactly is all that crap in cryengine 3 useful when ENB destroys it?

ENB is a mod. Did you try any cryengine 3 mods or games made by the community?

On the other hand you still haven't list a single UE game that is on par with Crysis 2 technically. UE will always play catch-up to the CE. Deal with it.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Crytek are hardly in the market for making impressive graphical benchmarks. Crysis 2 was not impressive in the least, and Crysis 3 is looking to be the same as well.

Nohtnym

Crysis 3 looks gorgeous :|

It's hermits. They didnt like that crysis series became multiplatform, so they downplay crysis 2 and 3. I dont know about you but I remember these threads "Crysis 1 looks better than crysis 2 because of consoles".

Crysis 1 did look better than Crysis 2 pre HighRes/DX11 patch. Currently with mods, I'd say it's debatable.

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 call_of_duty_10

zeeshanhaider

No. I uninstalled the game after completing a few levels.And I am not going to install it again. However,I have seen screenshots.tbh none of the mods are impressive as all of them have too much bloom and DOF. The texture mods were good,though.But its not like other engines cant handle high res textures.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 parkurtommo

zeeshanhaider

On the other hand you still haven't list a single UE game that is on par with Crysis 2 technically. UE will always play catch-up to the CE. Deal with it.

"Technically", nothing. But as far as aesthetics go, there are a lot of games that look a lot more appealing, like Mirror's Edge.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 call_of_duty_10

zeeshanhaider

Yes,UE will play catch up on a technical level. Doesn't matter though.Cryengine(3) still hasnt produced a game that looks better than mirrors edge. When it does,I will gladly admit that CE3 is the best.But for now,I will stick to UE. And why do you say "Deal with it"?I dont own epic games.I dont care whether UE plays catch up or not.I care for good graphics.And CE3 hasn't made anything impressive so far.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Dude sounds jelly.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 zeeshanhaider
[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] *sigh* I fail to see how this is related to the discussion. My PC can run games released in 2012 on high/max settings.So no,that's not true. I just think that its stupid how people praise cryengine 3 because it has advanced graphics crap,which does NOT make the graphics better at all! Gta 4 with icenhancer beats crysis 2.How exactly is all that crap in cryengine 3 useful when ENB destroys it?parkurtommo

"Technically", nothing. But as far as aesthetics go, there are a lot of games that look a lot more appealing, like Mirror's Edge.

Then we are on same page. CE3 can produce all the games UE can and better and with much ease. Moral of the story, CE > UE.
mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mrfrosty151986

[QUOTE="mrfrosty151986"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Does it really matter what method was used to achieve the graphics? As someone on SW used to say..."Technology is only a tool.The end product,the result,is what really matters." Mirrors edge does not use very advanced techniques but it looks better than crapsis 2. call_of_duty_10

Comparing modded GTA to stock Crysis? You logic is amazing:|

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 zeeshanhaider
[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] *sigh* I fail to see how this is related to the discussion. My PC can run games released in 2012 on high/max settings.So no,that's not true. I just think that its stupid how people praise cryengine 3 because it has advanced graphics crap,which does NOT make the graphics better at all! Gta 4 with icenhancer beats crysis 2.How exactly is all that crap in cryengine 3 useful when ENB destroys it?call_of_duty_10

Yes,UE will play catch up on a technical level. Doesn't matter though.Cryengine(3) still hasnt produced a game that looks better than mirrors edge. When it does,I will gladly admit that CE3 is the best.But for now,I will stick to UE. And why do you say "Deal with it"?I dont own epic games.I dont care whether UE plays catch up or not.I care for good graphics.And CE3 hasn't made anything impressive so far.

Sorry If I sound arrogant to you, it was not my intention. Again, I stand corrected CE is better than UE, that was the point of this whole discussion. And about the game like mirror's edge, Look up Titanic level created with cryengine 3.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 call_of_duty_10
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"] ENB is a mod. Did you try any cryengine 3 mods or games made by the community?

zeeshanhaider

Then we are on same page. CE3 can produce all the games UE can and better and with much ease. Moral of the story, CE > UE.

Perhaps it can. HAS it?Nope. And thats all that matters. Until CE3 produces a game that looks better than mirror's edge,it will be inferior to UE in my eyes. If it does,I will consider it to be better than UE. All that theoretical power is useless unless the engine makes the best looking game.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"] "Technically", nothing. But as far as aesthetics go, there are a lot of games that look a lot more appealing, like Mirror's Edge.call_of_duty_10

Perhaps it can. HAS it?Nope. And thats all that matters. Until CE3 produces a game that looks better than mirror's edge,it will be inferior to UE in my eyes. If it does,I will consider it to be better than UE. All that theoretical power is useless unless the engine makes the best looking game.

BUT MIRROR'S EDGE IS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE ART STYLE Crysis is technically waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Mirror's Edge.

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 call_of_duty_10

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"] Then we are on same page. CE3 can produce all the games UE can and better and with much ease. Moral of the story, CE > UE.parkurtommo

BUT MIRROR'S EDGE IS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE ART STYLE Crysis is technically waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Mirror's Edge.

They both have the same artstyle....realism. As I said,"Technology is only a tool.The end product,the result,is what matters". How does C2's technical superiority matter when it looks worse than Mirror's edge? ... Btw,I really must go now.I wish we could continue this argument,but I cant stay. Good bye.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 zeeshanhaider
art style is subjective. Mirrors Edge may Look good to you, it may not LOOK good to me. If technicality is not the factor then the best engine is whateva engine Fight NIght Champions uses.
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#98 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Too bad they can't make interesting games.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#99 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

All the Developers are going to abuse the crap out of Unreal Engine 4 though.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts
UE4 is a next gen engine. Crytek had a next gen engine they butchered to work on consoles.