CryEngine Three Years Ahead of Unreal Engine 4, Says Crytek

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

Crytek either prove it or stfu already

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-12032-CryEngine-Three-Years-Ahead-of-Unreal-Engine-4--Says-Crytek.html

CryEngine Three Years Ahead of Unreal Engine 4, Says CrytekWritten Thursday, June 14, 2012 By Lee BradleyView author's profile

Crytek boss Cevat Yerli reckons that Epic?s Unreal Engine 4 is doing things CryEngine was doing three three years ago.

Epic publicly showcased the latest iteration of its tech at E3 last week. Many - including us - were impressed, but Yerli wasn't.

"The only thing I can say is that CryEngine 3 already exists at the quality of Unreal Engine 4," he said. "It already exists for three years now.

?You can go back three years ago to the GDC videos. What we put out there is pretty much what Unreal Engine 4 put out now. And what many others are doing now too."

The Crytek boss believes that CryEngine has a lot more to offer too.

"We haven't really put out our latest stuff yet," he said. "Pretty soon you're going to see the next iteration of CryEngine, and I'm not putting a number behind it, just the next iteration of CryEngine. Very soon.

?But we already said, CryEngine 3 is next-gen ready since three years ago. We stand by that. If I look at what people call next-gen technology now, it's what we were seeing three years ago.

Yerli continued, "We already had massive particle systems, we already had GPU rendering, all these things. Deferred shading. We had tessellation already since we shipped Crysis 2. We already had DX11.

?We didn't just talk it up as tech demos, we have games that are shipped and are doing it.?

[via GamesBeat]

med_crysis_3_screen_3_-_prophet_under_fi

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Crytek better to show something half as impressive as Unreal Engine 4 demo, fast. No game available today, not even on PC, comes close.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

ooooh an engine battle exciting

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Crytek are hardly in the market for making impressive graphical benchmarks. Crysis 2 was not impressive in the least, and Crysis 3 is looking to be the same as well.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
And yet there will continue to be almost no games for it. Plus Crytek is moving into "free to play" anyway. Good luck with that.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Crytek better to show something half as impressive as Unreal Engine 4 demo, fast. No game available today, not even on PC, comes close.

PAL360

You can look at the new cryengine 3 showcase it is quite impressive. And Unreal Engine 4 is more flash, less substance. They know how to market their engine better than crytek.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

I haven't seen game as good as the UE4 engine demo.

Crytek are hardly in the market for making impressive graphical benchmarks. Crysis 2 was not impressive in the least, and Crysis 3 is looking to be the same as well.

JangoWuzHere

Crysis 2 DX11 is impressive. One of the best looking games, if not best.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 parkurtommo

JangoWuzHere
Crysis 3 looks gorgeous :|
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Meh, boring PR.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

parkurtommo

It's hermits. They didnt like that crysis series became multiplatform, so they downplay crysis 2 and 3. I dont know about you but I remember these threads "Crysis 1 looks better than crysis 2 because of consoles".

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Nohtnym

Agreed. I could never understand the praise the unreal engine has been given..SURE, it's much more simplistic and easy to use...but IMO, Cryengine was always superior in everyway from a visual standpoint. Both Crysis look insane and the closest in terms of photorealism, unlike the unreal engine.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Nohtnym

It's hermits. They didnt like that crysis series became multiplatform, so they downplay crysis 2 and 3. I dont know about you but I remember these threads "Crysis 1 looks better than crysis 2 because of consoles".

Well, I guess it's because Crysis 2 isn't really that much better than Crysis, if it is at all. Crysis was amazing 5 years ago and it still is, which shouldn't be hapenning.
Xboxdroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xboxdroolz
Member since 2012 • 386 Posts

LOL he said cryengine 3 cough crysis 2 shipped with dx11 that's a bunch of bs.

But yea cryengine 3 still does own the unreal engine 4.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

soapandbubbles

Agreed. I could never understand the praise the unreal engine has been given..SURE, it's much more simplistic and easy to use...but IMO, Cryengine was always superior in everyway from a visual standpoint. Both Crysis look insane and the closest in terms of photorealism, unlike the unreal engine.

Though considering Epic is way more experienced with art design their demos can look considerably more interesting, Cryengine 3 showcases are mainly from a technical standpoint, where as the UE ones can be enjoyed by the general audience.
Xboxdroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xboxdroolz
[QUOTE="soapandbubbles"][QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

parkurtommo

Though considering Epic is way more experienced with art design their demos can look considerably more interesting, Cryengine 3 showcases are mainly from a technical standpoint, where as the UE ones can be enjoyed by the general audience.

unreal engine 3 or 4 hasnt shown it can do photorealism better than cryengine 3
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I thought Crytek were supposed to be lying sellouts who deserve to go out of business? I can't keep track.
Xboxdroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xboxdroolz
I thought Crytek were supposed to be lying sellouts who deserve to go out of business? I can't keep track.lowe0
epicgames sold out more than crytek lol
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soapandbubbles

parkurtommo

Yes, this i know. UE is a great engine NO doubt..but i could only imagine if the cryengine had such licencing and that GENERAL audience. Expeically since the tools seem A lot more simplisitic now. Crysis 2 on 360 still amazes me...these guy's know how to look good no matter the hardware.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

PRTek.

Xboxdroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xboxdroolz

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="soapandbubbles"] Agreed. I could never understand the praise the unreal engine has been given..SURE, it's much more simplistic and easy to use...but IMO, Cryengine was always superior in everyway from a visual standpoint. Both Crysis look insane and the closest in terms of photorealism, unlike the unreal engine. soapandbubbles
Though considering Epic is way more experienced with art design their demos can look considerably more interesting, Cryengine 3 showcases are mainly from a technical standpoint, where as the UE ones can be enjoyed by the general audience.[/QUOTE Yes, this i know. UE is a great engine NO doubt..but i could only imagine if the cryengine had such licencing and that GENERAL audience. Expeically since the tools seem A lot more simplisitic now. Crysis 2 on 360 still amazes me...these guy's know how to look good no matter the hardware.

] crysis 2 running on lowest settings possible on everything for pc still looks better than crysis on ps3/360 lol.

Xboxdroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xboxdroolz

PRTek.

freedomfreak
unreal engine 4 trailer at e3 was seriously unimpressive and they said engines aimed for 2014. lol what a piece of garbage
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soapandbubbles

PRTek.

freedomfreak
you saying they don't deliver?
Xboxdroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xboxdroolz

crysis 2 has the best hdr of any console game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

PRTek.

soapandbubbles

No. They talk a lot. A lot of developers do,but I can't go 3 days without seeing another one of those quotes.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

parkurtommo

You can look at the new cryengine 3 showcase it is quite impressive. And Unreal Engine 4 is more flash, less substance. They know how to market their engine better than crytek.

Completely backwards, UE4's demo wasn't flash, it was substance. Luminous was the flashy one.

UE4's was just showing what it could do how it handled certain things and showing off its workflow, Samaritan(3.971) looked, due to art, much better and was much flashier than the UE4 demo.

Neither UE/CE, unlike SE, were going for flash.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
Questionable statement, but Crytek should focus on making better games.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Inconsistancy
[QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

soapandbubbles

::cough:: Mirror's Edge is a UE3 game ::cough::
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

who cares if your games suck. There are far more great games on the Unreal engine than Cryengine. Crytek still make sh!t games these days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

PRTek.

soapandbubbles

I would say yeah. They have this almighty engine yet the games on it are less than desireable. Crysis 2 was meh and so will Crysis 3

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Inconsistancy

Completely backwards, UE4's demo wasn't flash, it was substance. Luminous was the flashy one.

UE4's was just showing what it could do how it handled certain things and showing off its workflow, Samaritan(3.971) looked, due to art, much better and was much flashier than the UE4 demo.

Neither UE/CE, unlike SE, were going for flash.

I guess in this case yes, but all of the previous demos were indeed all flash. (like you mentioned, the semaritan demo, and that older one with the night and day stuff)
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 parkurtommo

Inconsistancy

I thought it was frostbite?
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

yet more horsesh1t from the industrys favourite douchebag.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1

The top comment in one of the links was spot on

"Pointless willy waving. Just shut up and make Timesplitters 4 already."

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="soapandbubbles"] Agreed. I could never understand the praise the unreal engine has been given..SURE, it's much more simplistic and easy to use...but IMO, Cryengine was always superior in everyway from a visual standpoint. Both Crysis look insane and the closest in terms of photorealism, unlike the unreal engine.

Nope, UE3
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] ::cough:: Mirror's Edge is a UE3 game ::cough::

Nope, UE3

I find that curious considering it looks similiar to BC2/BF3 in many ways. That may just be because of DICE I guess.
Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Nohtnym

Thus they are called PChildren Gamers.

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts

yet more horsesh1t from the industrys favourite douchebag.

razgriz_101
Seriously every time I see an article with Crytek in the title I lose more respect for them. They made ONE game with impressive visuals at the time and crappy gameplay and since then they've released several more games with crappy gameplay. And yet for whatever reason they feel the need to chime in on what other companies are doing despite being trivial to the industry at large.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Thus they are called PChildren Gamers.

Click_Clock

You need your own line, broski! Evan's wasn't that great when it first made the rounds, hence why it didn't stick :lol:

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
PR bullsh*t
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts
From what i saw, id have t agree with them. While UE4 may be more dev-friendly, CE3/4 seems to have more technical capabilities, better effects, better water, better AI, animations, etc. (judging by the presentations anyway)
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I wouldn't find that hard to believe after playing Crysis 2 with DX 11 and the hi res texture pack.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts
Hopefully with Crysis 3 the DX11 will be optimized well like BF3. Crysis 2 DX11 runs like ass in comparison.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Inconsistancy
From what i saw, id have t agree with them. While UE4 may be more dev-friendly, CE3/4 seems to have more technical capabilities, better effects, better water, better AI, animations, etc. (judging by the presentations anyway)navyguy21
Animations don't care about the engine all that much, that's the dev's fault.
DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DemoPan7
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]From what i saw, id have t agree with them. While UE4 may be more dev-friendly, CE3/4 seems to have more technical capabilities, better effects, better water, better AI, animations, etc. (judging by the presentations anyway)Inconsistancy
Animations don't care about the engine all that much, that's the dev's fault.

true, but I think he's talking about it's procedural animation system
gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts
Yet Agni's Philosophy shats on them both. Luminous Engine is the true god for nextgen multiplatform.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

The difference is how the tools work for creating a game. Unreal Engine is much easier to make games for, and chances are the effects in UE4 are more optimized than those from CryEngine.

DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DemoPan7

The difference is how the tools work for creating a game. Unreal Engine is much easier to make games for, and chances are the effects in UE4 are more optimized than those from CryEngine.

Phazevariance
actually it's a lot more easier to make games on CryEngine than it is on Unreal. Unreal is just more popular and has been a multiplatform engine longer than CE has.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

PAL360

UE4 tech demo on a high end PC looks better than any current PC game, which are also made to be compatible with older hardware? You don't say.

DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DemoPan7

PAL360
they did that 4 years ago with CE2 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-2008-cryengine-2/30965
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Meh, boring PR.

lundy86_4