Could this be the Wii's downfall?

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
In my opinion, last gen the GC sold poorly due to several factors: the design of the console, the poor 3rd support (it didn't get GTA etc), and it didn't exactly accelerate the industry with the machine itself (no revolution). This gen Nintendo have corrected some of those problems and added even more than what the GC didn't have. They have online, decent 3rd party support, they're brought in a "revolution" if you will, and the design of the console is great.

But I think they've still got the same problem as the GC (which is a major reason it lost): No big-name 3rd party titles.

It doesn't have all those really anticipated games that are coming to 360/PS3 like GTAIV, RE5, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six, Oblivion, Burnout, SSX4 etc.

Do you think this will be the reason the console fails to come on top in sales? Or is this a minor flaw that is countered by Wii's innovative games like Wiisports etc.?

EDIT: I meant big name 3rd party titles. Sorry for the confusion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No. Mario and Pokemon are massive... more massive than most of those titles you listed... :|
d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 d_black
Member since 2004 • 1538 Posts
Isn't Mario, Zelda and that junk high profile for Nintendo?
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
No big name titles?:lol:
edibu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 edibu
Member since 2004 • 8604 Posts
No. Mario and Pokemon are massive... more massive than most of those titles you listed... :|
foxhound_fox
gamecube had both
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts
Meh, I'd rather play those multiplats on the platforms they were built for.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Not having some of the big name multiplats certainly hurts but I think it will more than make up for it with it's price, inovative controller and exclusives of its own.
ko_threat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ko_threat
Member since 2004 • 631 Posts

Its got SMG, MP3, and SSBB.

Contrary to common thought, Xbox sold about maybe 2 million more than GC. It wasnt that big of a difference.

CelineDion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CelineDion
Member since 2002 • 5972 Posts

Wii won't have versions of the 360/PS3's most anticipated 3rd party titles (i.e. GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, etc.).

Its much-reduced power sees to that.  It makes no sense to adapt a bleeding-edge HD engine-based game for the Wii.

If Wii is to succeed, it needs third-party titles tailored to its own strengths.  It can't hold its own with "me-too" versions of the other consoles' big hits.

beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts
graphics are not up to par, no big name title except for the usual, 50/50 find the controller crap/gimmic the other think it change the world of gaming. i find the controller to be gimmic because it doesnt imitate all your movements. i'm not goin to touch a wii unless i find it super cheap about 100 bucks the most.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
In my opinion, last gen the GC sold poorly due to several factors: the design of the console, the poor 3rd support (it didn't get GTA etc), and it didn't exactly accelerate the industry with the machine itself (no revolution). This gen Nintendo have corrected some of those problems and added even more than what the GC didn't have. They have online, decent 3rd party support, they're brought in a "revolution" if you will, and the design of the console is great.

But I think they've still got the same problem as the GC (which is a major reason it lost): No big-name titles.

It doesn't have all those really anticipated games that are coming to 360/PS3 like GTAIV, RE5, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six, Oblivion, Burnout, SSX4 etc.

Do you think this will be the reason the console fails to come on top in sales? Or is this a minor flaw that is countered by Wii's innovative games like Wiisports etc.?

the-very-best
Haven't you notice the titles you mentioned are repeats. We have no idea what the Wii can bring due to the new controller scheme. By the way, they also have an SSX game. The other games that you mentioned are games for hardcore racing, RPG, and shooters. Who knows; even developers are surprise by the success of Wii. Besides, it's still considered a secondary console rather than the primary one which is not bad.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]No. Mario and Pokemon are massive... more massive than most of those titles you listed... :|
edibu
gamecube had both

Right, but the GameCube had a miriad of other problems staring it in the face. Image, lack of 3rd party, poor marketing, etc. The Wii doesn't have these problems. Plus, wait and see what is coming. The 3rd party support for the Wii the upcoming year or so has only begun to emerge this past month or two. If you told me two months ago that Manhunt 2 would be coming to Wii, I'd call you a liar. So lets wait and see what happens.
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts
Nintendo has PLENTY of big name titles and a considerable amount of 3rd party support.
nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendogamer6
Member since 2006 • 1772 Posts

You are right and wrong

There are alot of big named titles for the Hard Core gamers

Metroid, Mario, No more Heroes the list goes on

But as far as casuals, there really aren't enough big shooters (which is really the only thing casuals like)

If Nintedo wants to continue to attrack casual gamers they need a good shooter or Xbox will take over

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts

graphics are not up to par, no big name title except for the usual, 50/50 find the controller crap/gimmic the other think it change the world of gaming. i find the controller to be gimmic because it doesnt imitate all your movements. i'm not goin to touch a wii unless i find it super cheap about 100 bucks the most.beldugo

It's up to the developer to have the game do what you do. Not the controller.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="Hoffgod"]Right, but the GameCube had a miriad of other problems staring it in the face. Image, lack of 3rd party, poor marketing, etc. The Wii doesn't have these problems. Plus, wait and see what is coming. The 3rd party support for the Wii the upcoming year or so has only begun to emerge this past month or two. If you told me two months ago that Manhunt 2 would be coming to Wii, I'd call you a liar. So lets wait and see what happens.

Not to mention an ******* named Yamauchi.
Avatar image for NicktehImperial
NicktehImperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NicktehImperial
Member since 2007 • 4243 Posts
Well I have noticed that there aren't any really good games coming to it...
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

It can't hold its own with "me-too" versions of the other consoles' big hits.

CelineDion

Definitely.
Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
Nintendo's first party games are the biggest. They don't need games like the ones mentioned but they would certainly help.
Cpt_Meh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cpt_Meh
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Well I have noticed that there aren't any really good games coming to it...NicktehImperial
You own a PSP. Your view on good games is skewed. :D
Avatar image for blackpretttyboy
blackpretttyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blackpretttyboy
Member since 2006 • 1275 Posts
foxhound_fox
thoz didnt help gamecube 2 much
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
[QUOTE="NicktehImperial"]Well I have noticed that there aren't any really good games coming to it...Cpt_Meh

Good games are like opinions, you like disagree with one but eventually you will agree with another, meaning you may not like its games but another in your place does.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
[QUOTE="Cpt_Meh"][QUOTE="NicktehImperial"]Well I have noticed that there aren't any really good games coming to it...ArisShadows

Good games are like opinions, you like disagree with one but eventually you will agree with another, meaning you may not like its games but another in your place does.

^--- Not for you Cpt_meg, for Nick..
Avatar image for mushroomscout89
mushroomscout89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 mushroomscout89
Member since 2004 • 6434 Posts
foxhound_fox
Thank you! PRINT! Someone said something smart today!
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

foxhound_fox

Yeah... and why pronosticate downfall when it`s actually selling???

You should tell about PS3 fall, which seems at this point not so farfetched.

Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
Pretty much all of Nintendo's big name titles are first party. Granted, if Nintendo wants to attract more of the "hardcore" it is going to have to start making some less cartoony games but for the rest of the world Mario and co. is still enough.
Avatar image for mushroomscout89
mushroomscout89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 mushroomscout89
Member since 2004 • 6434 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]No. Mario and Pokemon are massive... more massive than most of those titles you listed... :|
blackpretttyboy

Actually they did, but yea, of course they didn't make it sell better then the others.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
blackpretttyboy

The Mario and Pokemon games released for the Gamecube were not up to scale.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#29 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

foxhound_fox

Yeah, definitely. It's almost a fact.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
[QUOTE="CelineDion"]

It can't hold its own with "me-too" versions of the other consoles' big hits.

Jandurin

Definitely.

Heck, "me-too" seemed to be a summary of Nintendo's approach at first to the GameCube. And we all know how that turned out. The games that set the Wii apart will be games that are unique and fun. Like the latest N-Query mailbag over at IGN said, expect about 90% of the games to use the motion sensing as nothing more than a substitute for button pressing (Ex: Marvel Ultimate Alliance). However, expect those other 10% (Ex: Wii Sports) to be amazing experiences that really set the Wii apart.
Wolfgang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wolfgang66
Member since 2005 • 12343 Posts
Wii is its own downfall.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the-very-best
foxhound_fox

Mario didn't save the GC. And neither did Pokemon (Pokemon consoles games don't sell nearly as well as their handheld couterparts).

Wii is still missing the best selling titles that sell incredibly nowadays like GTA.
jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts
foxhound_fox

Agreed.  Not to mention hits like MP3: Corruption, Battalion Wars 2, Brawl, and others.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts

curono

Yeah... and why pronosticate downfall when it`s actually selling???

You should tell about PS3 fall, which seems at this point not so farfetched.

I agree, the fact that Nintendo was 3rd last gen, it was quite a surprise that it's selling so much that untill not it's a sold out item to most stores. The PS3 in the other hand is a different story. So the thread should be: "Could PS3 be the downfall of the Playstation brand?" NO wonder why one analsyt said that he cannot imagine a PS4...
Lafitte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lafitte
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts
The GC was just as much of an advancement at the PS2 was. Granted the PS2 had a lot of great games. But if you look at the hardware itself the GC had overall better graphics. Look at RE4 if you need convincing.
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

Wii is its own downfall.Wolfgang66

Tell that to the 2 million (or more ) consoles sold in about 3 months...

Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts

The GC was just as much of an advancement at the PS2 was. Granted the PS2 had a lot of great games. But if you look at the hardware itself the GC had overall better graphics. Look at RE4 if you need convincing.Lafitte

Or Luigi's Mansion, and it was a launch title.

AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
But it has games that the other consoles will not have
rat_pac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rat_pac
Member since 2003 • 9297 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolfgang66"]Wii is its own downfall.curono

And probably 1.8m Regrets
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
There was a nice thread about this on SW yesterday or the day before.
About how it will take more time than 3 months for developers to correct their ignorant mistakes. Might take another 15 months or so before bigger 3rd party titles (not ports) begin to roll in.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="the-very-best"] Mario didn't save the GC. And neither did Pokemon (Pokemon consoles games don't sell nearly as well as their handheld couterparts).

Wii is still missing the best selling titles that sell incredibly nowadays like GTA.

Mahunt 2, made by Rockstar, for the Wii, PS2 and PSP. The Wii version is being developed from the ground up.

Rumour has it, Rockstar is also planning on bringing GTA in one form or another to the Wii as well.

The Wii has totally destroyed the image of the Gamecube and Yamauchi. Now that Iwata is in control of things, instead of just stagnation, they are helping change the industry. The Wii has opened up an entirely new market, non-gamers, that the PS3 and Xbox 360 could not even think of getting into if their proverbial lives depended on it.

The Wii may be similar in architecture to the Gamecube and can play Gamecube games... but it is NOTHING like it in terms of public appeal.

Seeing parents kick children off the Wii to play some Wiisports is an amazing sight. Nintendo has done right, and this is no Gamecube.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the-very-best
Not having some of the big name multiplats certainly hurts but I think it will more than make up for it with it's price, inovative controller and exclusives of its own.
cakeorrdeath

The reasons you listed are the reasons I think Wii will be much more of a success than the GC.

But the reason I mentioned is the reason I think PS3/360 will have more total sales than the Wii in the end.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#43 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Wii is its own downfall.Wolfgang66

Care to explain?

the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts
well the wii is geting its own version of RE and SSX and it will have enough games to sompensate for a few good titles that aremt on it
atrain4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 atrain4
Member since 2005 • 1408 Posts
foxhound_fox
Agreed.
wiialltheway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wiialltheway
Member since 2006 • 455 Posts

How come a lot of people here don't have a clue of what's really going on in the industry? How come many people here can't think of games outside of stuff like Madden, Halo, GTA, FF, etc? Sure Nintendo won't be getting many big 360/PS3 titles, but they will be getting other titles that will more than make up for the loss, especially some of their NEW first-party titles.

What ultimately put Nintendo DS over the top? Why is the Wii doing so well?

Nintendo is trying to create something new besides their well known first party games such as Mario, Zelda, etc. In the near future, it's gonna be those NEW innovative games that will put Nintendo over the top just like what happened to DS.

I can make a very good case as to why Wii Sports is the game that has the biggest impact out of all games released so far by 360, PS3 or Wii. If you count the bundled in Wii Sports as games sold, then Wii Sports is the best selling next-gen game so far.

After Nintendo released some of their innovative Wii first party games and after 3rd party devs finally figure out how to make proper Wii games, it's gonna be all over for MS and Sony this gen. The fact is, the way PS3 and XBox 360 are shaping up to be, they don't have the kind of mass appeal that the Wii potentially has, 360/PS3 cater to a smaller audience.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the-very-best
Mahunt 2, made by Rockstar, for the Wii, PS2 and PSP. The Wii version is being developed from the ground up.

Rumour has it, Rockstar is also planning on bringing GTA in one form or another to the Wii as well.

The Wii has totally destroyed the image of the Gamecube and Yamauchi. Now that Iwata is in control of things, instead of just stagnation, they are helping change the industry. The Wii has opened up an entirely new market, non-gamers, that the PS3 and Xbox 360 could not even think of getting into if their proverbial lives depended on it.

The Wii may be similar in architecture to the Gamecube and can play Gamecube games... but it is NOTHING like it in terms of public appeal.

Seeing parents kick children off the Wii to play some Wiisports is an amazing sight. Nintendo has done right, and this is no Gamecube.
foxhound_fox

I agree with you, don't think I'm saying Wii is a gamecube, I'm not.

As for Rockstar bringing GTA in some form to Wii... so what? People will choose GTAIV because they know that's where Rockstar's focus is. GTA only sells well when it is the main title in the series. The handheld versions (both PSP and GBA) have sold poorly, and LCS for PS2 is no breakout hit like the 3 main GTA's on PS2.

Manhunt 2 shows Wii is no GC though, ie. it ain't focused solely on games for kids.
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#48 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts
hahahaha no big game titles hahahaha. mario, zelda, metriod, starfox, smash brothers ect ect ect.  hahaha lets not forget pokemon.  hell pokemon still sales more games than nintendo sales consoles.... hahaha no big game titles hahahahahaha thats a good one hahaha nintendo porbably the biggest 1st party "game publisher and game making company" hahaha no big titles
cydcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cydcan
Member since 2003 • 144 Posts
[QUOTE="curono"]

[QUOTE="Wolfgang66"]Wii is its own downfall.rat_pac

And probably 1.8m Regrets

Oh? And how do you know for a fact that 90% of the Wii owners regret getting one?

Come on, this is not intelligent discussion. This is a half-step above "You suck!" "No, YOU suck!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
What it sounds like to me is that you're saying the Wii will fail because it won't get 360/PS3 games.......