Controversy at GDC: Phil Fish developer of Fez say Japanese dev Your games s***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

Clear racism? Show me what part of his own quoted speech is racist. Please, reply and show me. "Your games suck" isn't racism. Maybe he just doesn't think that what comes out of Japan these days is any good. Is that racism?

:|

nhh18

A generalization and a stereo type about a certain culture of games isn't racism? Then what is?

So a general criticism of Japanese developers (even if, in one's own opinion, Japanese developers are primarily pushing out absolute garbage) is automatically racism? There is no other, less vile motivation? I think you're overreacting, that's all. Maybe the guy is an ass in general if he dislikes something. Calling his comment racist is a knee jerk reaction.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Controversy? Unrelevant hipster-looking indie game developer publishing their first game ever featuring a old school graphics?

Oh how gaming have fallen, no one would've cared last generation but now, no name indies draw some pixels and now he's important. Because indie is cool. This man has no track record and is creating a budget game, his opinion is held high, let's shower this indie game with awards like GOTFGI-award (Game of the ****** game industry) and let's give this guy a trophy for being such an important man for the gaming industry because he's developing games featuring old pixel graphics!!! We have side scrolling platformers that are EPIC BRAH, sure they're just like those thousand of free flash games you've played on the net when you were bored in school years ago but they cost money and they're on the consoles, that makes them better than all those mainstream stuff because that's corporate evil man...

I'm mad yeah. Gaming has gone down a dump this generation, with simple flash games becoming gigantic world wide success, side scrollers made by some guy in a basement is now the coolest thing ever, DLC and all this ****. I think I'mma just quit my gaming hobby after the new gen after this upcoming generation because this has gone down the drain. /puke

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
In LBP Creators from Japan usally have respect of others, they make best content of LBP and if you see level from Japan then you can always expect something good, they also active in contests, they taken 2 places in podium in LBPC6 :) And i still love games from Japan a little bit more then western ;]
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_360_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_DS_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games#PlayStation_3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games#PlayStation_Portable

buh buh da japuneze gaymes are irrelevant!!1 :(

Stevo_the_gamer

Wikipedia. lol

>makes outrageous claim
>provides no proof besides arbitrary precentages that he pulled out of his ass
>discredits proof that proves him wrong with "lol"

Cool rebuttal. All of the links are cited so whatever, continue trolling.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#55 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Just like how in the East, Western devs mean very little to anyone. Only one console is actually developed by a Western developer.

WiiCubeM1

Japanese culture plays a strong roll in what they play (and have been playing for decades). I am aware of there is only "one" Western console manufacturer, but the emphasis has been that both Nintendo and Sony are--and must--bring forth the majority of their attention to the Western audience if they wish to survive in the coming generations.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

Clear racism? Show me what part of his own quoted speech is racist. Please, reply and show me. "Your games suck" isn't racism. Maybe he just doesn't think that what comes out of Japan these days is any good. Is that racism?

:|

Assassin_87

A generalization and a stereo type about a certain culture of games isn't racism? Then what is?

So a general criticism of Japanese developers (even if, in one's own opinion, Japanese developers are primarily pushing out absolute garbage) is automatically racism? There is no other, less vile motivation? I think you're overreacting, that's all. Maybe the guy is an ass in general if he dislikes something. Calling his comment racist is a knee jerk reaction.

Australia has no games. I guess I am now racist. The logic is infallible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Accusations of racism are even stupider than the dude's comment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

[QUOTE="nhh18"]A generalization and a stereo type about a certain culture of games isn't racism? Then what is?

Stevo_the_gamer

LA Noire is Australian.

But that game is terrible so who cares.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

Japanese developers certainly took a back seat this generation in comparison to the last few generations.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#60 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Sony's first party devs have always primarily been western developers. The difference this gen is that they have had to put more faith in their own first party, and less on third party. As for the Wii U, they try to do that every gen since getting spanked in the 64 gen.

Stevo_the_gamer

Always, no, not last generation, and not the generation previous. Japan's influence on gaming was huge in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. It has since dropped off the cliff, practically.

Not denying that their influence has dropped off, but you're using first party as an example of sony changing tactics. The first party at sony has always been done by a lot of western devs. Be it Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, or when they thought The Getaway was going to be a good game.

What it really comes down to is that nothing changed about first party for Sony internally. What changed was that with the increased budgets, and the fact that neither Sony nor Microsoft can boast the extensive userbase of the PS2. Any third party dev/pub would have to be brain dead to go exclusive. That's just terrible business. Thus Sony's first party has had to carry the load more since that is their primary source of exclusives this gen.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_360_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_DS_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games#PlayStation_3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games#PlayStation_Portable

buh buh da japuneze gaymes are irrelevant!!1 :(

Stevo_the_gamer

Wikipedia. lol

All data there is sourced if you not believe them
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

That doesn't suddenly negate his point. Poor time management aside GT5 did extremely well(and it's considered a disappointment to boot). Final Fantasy 13 and its awfulness(**** anyones opinion on this board, that game sucks) did very well sales wise. Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Nintend's franchises, etc etc. Street Fighter 4 more or less kick started a fighting game renaissance. If we're talking sales: The same japanese franchises that did great last gen, did great this gen. Hell some of em have benefited even more because they went multiplat. Do the major third parties have their own Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed in terms of sales? No not necessarily, but it's not like they are completely nonexistent. If we're talking quality of the game design: Then you can definitely make a convincing argument for plenty of japanese designed videogames being exceptionally well made. But sure I would agree with you that clearly a bunch of japanese studios have been behind the curve, and I say that while still arguing the west all that either. But it's clearly been doing better. jg4xchamp

The games themselves are a shadow of the former curve--being strong in sales because of large loyal fanbase isn't exactly what I was aiming at. I am aware some of Capcom, and SE's (among others) following is there. The main take-away is that the developers are not as influential, nor as of quality, as they were many years ago. Japanese gaming has come to the point of becoming essentially irrelevant--I keep using essentially, and not entirely. They is some importance, but it's insignificant. Nintendo is the last beacon of hope, as Sony has already jumped ship.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

Aljosa23

LA Noire is Australian.

Team Bondi is defunct. I still win. :P
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
That guy brings shame to Canada :( We're not all dicks. Forgive us random Japanese dev.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Australia has no games. I guess I am now racist. The logic is infallible. Stevo_the_gamer

LA Noire is Australian.

And it was really a Rockstar game anyway. :P
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

Threads like this are always pointless as people who are dead set into trashing the Japanese market will not change their minds.

Japanese devs have nothing on Call of Duty, Assassins Creed or GTA in terms of sales.

We bring up Pokemon, Mario Kart and Gran Turismo as mega sellers. They claim these franchises are proof on how stale the Japanese devs are yet those previous western games are somehow OK.

Japanese devs don't innovate anymore they say, just look at how irrelevant and backwards Final Fantasy is as an example.
We bring up Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 4 and Demon's/Dark Souls. They are somehow still irrelevant as they don't sell millions upon millions even though quality and innovation was the criteria.

I wouldn't have a problem with the trashing if the straight up haters wouldn't constantly change the criteria why Japanese games are irrelevant.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

makes outrageous claim

Aljosa23

The vast majority of Sony's PS3 best selling games, and 360's are Western. Of course, the best selling handhed games are full of Japanese titles--handhelds will be irrelevant soon regardless, so it's a moot point. You happy now?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]That doesn't suddenly negate his point. Poor time management aside GT5 did extremely well(and it's considered a disappointment to boot). Final Fantasy 13 and its awfulness(**** anyones opinion on this board, that game sucks) did very well sales wise. Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Nintend's franchises, etc etc. Street Fighter 4 more or less kick started a fighting game renaissance. If we're talking sales: The same japanese franchises that did great last gen, did great this gen. Hell some of em have benefited even more because they went multiplat. Do the major third parties have their own Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed in terms of sales? No not necessarily, but it's not like they are completely nonexistent. If we're talking quality of the game design: Then you can definitely make a convincing argument for plenty of japanese designed videogames being exceptionally well made. But sure I would agree with you that clearly a bunch of japanese studios have been behind the curve, and I say that while still arguing the west all that either. But it's clearly been doing better. Stevo_the_gamer

The games themselves are a shadow of the former curve--being strong in sales because of large loyal fanbase isn't exactly what I was aiming at. I am aware some of Capcom, and SE's (among others) following is there. The main take-away is that the developers are not as influential, nor as of quality, as they were many years ago. Japanese gaming has come to the point of becoming essentially irrelevant--I keep using essentially, and not entirely. They is some importance, but it's insignificant. Nintendo is the last beacon of hope, as Sony has already jumped ship.

No that's a fair argument. Japan's best work this gen has been primarily stuff that's fit more of a niche or a relatively smaller audience(relative to how big some western games do). But I'd argue a lot of western devs have either dropped off, or stayed stagnant. With the only real burst in sales being because marketing teams are kicking some serious ass. But that sounds to hipsterish, and I reserve that for Aljosa or PBSnipes.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]LA Noire is Australian.

DarkLink77

Nah even Rockstar games aren't usually that boring. I had some fun in GTA 4 and Red Dead Redemption.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
The vast majority of Sony's PS3 best selling games, and 360's are Western. Of course, the best selling handhed games are full of Japanese titles--handhelds will be irrelevant soon regardless, so it's a moot point. You happy now?Stevo_the_gamer
3DS is selling better than DS was at the same point in its lifespan, and DS is the best selling piece of dedicated gaming hardware ever released. You wanna rethink that maybe? Or do you, for some reason, expect that the 3DS will simply fall off with Animal Crossing, NSMB, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Monster Hunter 4, Zelda, and likely a new Pokemon game on the way?
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Threads like this are always pointless as people who are dead set into trashing the Japanese market will not change their minds.

Japanese devs have nothing on Call of Duty, Assassins Creed or GTA in terms of sales.

We bring up Pokemon, Mario Kart and Gran Turismo as mega sellers. They claim these franchises are proof on how stale the Japanese devs are yet those previous western games are somehow OK.

Japanese devs don't innovate anymore they say, just look at how irrelevant and backwards Final Fantasy is as an example.
We bring up Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 4 and Demon's/Dark Souls. They are somehow still irrelevant as they don't sell millions upon millions even though quality and innovation was the criteria.

I wouldn't have a problem with the trashing if the straight up haters wouldn't constantly change the criteria why Japanese games are irrelevant.

JLF1MarkII

*applause*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

makes outrageous claim

Stevo_the_gamer

The vast majority of Sony's PS3 best selling games, and 360's are Western. Of course, the best selling handhed games are full of Japanese titles--handhelds will be irrelevant soon regardless, so it's a moot point. You happy now?

>disregards handhelds because they prove him wrong
>ignores the Wii for the same reason
>PS3 list has a fair amount of Japanese
>"vast majority"

lol come on, man. smh

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Team Bondi is defunct. I still win. :Pjg4xchamp

Nah even Rockstar games aren't usually that boring. I had some fun in GTA 4 and Red Dead Redemption.

True that. Still, it felt like a Rockstar game in a lot of ways. I imagine it wouldn't have ever gotten finished if they hadn't picked it up.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

JLF1MarkII

Nonsense, sales was never my focal. I am talking influence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

Stevo_the_gamer

How exactly do you even measure influence? By sales, obviously.

Did pRick Santorum hack your account, bro?

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

Aljosa23

Sales combined with reviews. That's just my personal way of looking at influence in gaming.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

>disregards handhelds because they prove him wrong
>ignores the Wii for the same reason
>PS3 list has a fair amount of Japanese
>"vast majority"

lol come on, man. smh

Aljosa23

The PS3 list of Japanese titles is rather small; handhelds are inconsequential considering the future emphasis on the mobile market and that western developers have cared little regarding them because of limitations, the Wii has little western developer support because of the weak technology; hell, Nintendo still can barely grasp online gaming. The only real argument I see of strong Japanese support comes from Nintendo, everything else is rather weak, at best.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I think a couple of people misunderstand the point of this. It's not about whether the Japanese market is still relevant or "innovative" it's about how arrogan and offensive the guy sounded with his comment. Who the hell says "Your games s***" :?
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Stevo_the_gamer

Your initial comments implied sales. But sales really drive influence anyway - with Call of Duty and Wii Sports being the most influential this gen.

That and critical acclaim, but sadly to a lesser extent.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Aljosa23

The quality of the games themselves and the standards being set with other developers following suit, there in, improving the genres they lie within. Japanese games, for the most part, have had difficulty in doing this compared to previous generations where they excelled and were quite memorable.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Who the hell says "Your games s***" :?Kaze_no_Mirai
Bethesda should say that to SE. "u jelly of skyrim?"
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 JLF1MarkII

Stevo_the_gamer

Influence in what way? Changing the industry. Yeah, Nintendo basically did that this generation with motion-controls. Honestly what franchises this gen have had any real inlfuence? I can think of Call of Duty from the western side. but that's it.

No one is really copying anyone anymore.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

shinrabanshou

Your initial comments implied sales. But sales really drive influence anyway - with Call of Duty and Wii Sports being the most influential this gen.

That and critical acclaim, but sadly to a lesser extent.

Sales don't necessarily drive influence--but it does play a large factor in it. Wii Sports hasn't been exactly standard setting, a better example would be Wii Fit which influenced an onset of workout games therein.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]Who the hell says "Your games s***" :?Stevo_the_gamer

:P that reminds me I still need to get Skyrm :x
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Japanese devs have a lot of problems but this was not the most articulate way to discuss those problems. But one look at Metal Gear Rising and it is clear that yes...something in the world of japanese game development stinks.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
I love certain Japanese directors like Kobayashi or Ozu, or certain musical geniuses from Japan (like Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O., Ghost, Boris, Keiji Haino, Ryoji Ikeda, Boredoms, Taj Mahal Travelers, Mainliner, Ruins, Otomo Yoshihide etc.), but Japanese devs, and especially when speaking of this gen are nothing compared to their musical / cinematographical counterparts. NOTHING.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

JLF1MarkII

Influence in what way? Changing the industry. Yeah, Nintendo basically did that this generation with motion-controls. Honestly what franchises this gen have had any real inlfuence? I can think of Call of Duty from the western side. but that's it.

Developers have been taking from other developers for years now. It's not copying persay because I hate that word--it's evolving on. Even Sony's developers are fantastic in reaching out and working with each other, or taking cues from other developers like Bungie Studios to improve upon their works.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

I love certain Japanese directors like Kobayashi or Ozu, or certain musical geniuses from Japan (like Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O., Ghost, Boris, Keiji Haino, Ryoji Ikeda, Boredoms, Taj Mahal Travelers, Mainliner, Ruins, Otomo Yoshihide etc.), but Japanese devs, and especially when speaking of this gen are nothing compared to their musical / cinematographical counterparts. NOTHING.Salt_The_Fries
This post is the worst one in the thread, by far.

You can say the exact same thing for every region. :|

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]Who the hell says "Your games s***" :?Kaze_no_Mirai

:P that reminds me I still need to get Skyrm :x

It's alright, I bought Mass Effect 3 and I am instead on Gamespot and writing police reports. So... awesome. D:
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Bread_or_Decide

JLF1MarkII

So Vanquish and Binary Domain aren't copying gears? OH yes you're right...nobody is copying anymore anymore.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhpCAmoMbE

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 JLF1MarkII

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

Bread_or_Decide

So Vanquish and Binary Domain aren't copying gears? OH yes you're right...nobody is copying anymore anymore.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhpCAmoMbE

And Gears didn't Copy Resident Evil 4?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Bread_or_Decide

JLF1MarkII

Those are exceptions to the rule. And yes Mario Kart and Gran Turismo are beyond stale where as AC was a new IP and GTA and COD defined their genre's this gen with COD4 and GTAIV. Demons souls is great...but that's just one game....and xenoblade chronicles looks like more of the same *** RPG crap I didn't want to play before..and still don't want to play now. Same with Persona 4.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Salt_The_Fries

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]I love certain Japanese directors like Kobayashi or Ozu, or certain musical geniuses from Japan (like Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O., Ghost, Boris, Keiji Haino, Ryoji Ikeda, Boredoms, Taj Mahal Travelers, Mainliner, Ruins, Otomo Yoshihide etc.), but Japanese devs, and especially when speaking of this gen are nothing compared to their musical / cinematographical counterparts. NOTHING.Aljosa23

No, if you are as hip as me ;) Then you'd not even need to explain. And I still don't. Because I CAN.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]How exactly do you even measure influence? By sales, obviously.

Stevo_the_gamer

The quality of the games themselves and the standards being set with other developers following suit, there in, improving the genres they lie within. Japanese games, for the most part, have had difficulty in doing this compared to previous generations where they excelled and were quite memorable.

If we're talking memorable, that comes down to a person by person basis. Because what's memorable to you(Fallout 3 instance) is not necessarily memorable to me. And visa versa with something like Valkyria Chronicles. Influence wise sure I guess Demon's Souls is the only thing that has been worthy of note that I can think of(Witcher 2 devs clearly made it a point to say they got some ideas from it).

But even on the Western side it's hardly been something that's been genre wide. It's not like every sandbox game has adopted Assassin's Creed's parkour or social stealth. And that has slaughtered every sandbox game in sales save Grand Theft Auto. And I don't see much of GTA 4 or even RDR's influence going off into the rest of the genre. And they certainly aren't lacking in any praise.

Call of Duty has had a major influence on the entire medium, as we can see how holiday season has completely changed in gaming. But outside of that what other games are you calling out for being influential?

Gears of War has pretty much made cover schemes a thing that will stay,and well there is the over abundance of hoard modes(although that type of mode goes way far back, so wrong game maybe)

Bethesda and Bioware games while doing very well scores wise/sales wise haven't necessarily had a major impact on other RPGs. Witcher doesn't really borrow many ideas, that weren't already RPG norms. Outside of that. Hardly seeing major influences that are really branching out.

So I'd like to actually hear some of these western influences having an impact across their respective genres.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

JLF1MarkII

You're joking right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]I love certain Japanese directors like Kobayashi or Ozu, or certain musical geniuses from Japan (like Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O., Ghost, Boris, Keiji Haino, Ryoji Ikeda, Boredoms, Taj Mahal Travelers, Mainliner, Ruins, Otomo Yoshihide etc.), but Japanese devs, and especially when speaking of this gen are nothing compared to their musical / cinematographical counterparts. NOTHING.Salt_The_Fries

No, if you are as hip as me ;) Then you'd not even need to explain. And I still don't. Because I CAN.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]How exactly do you even measure influence? By sales, obviously.

jg4xchamp

If we're talking memorable, that comes down to a person by person basis. Because what's memorable to you(Fallout 3 instance) is not necessarily memorable to me. And visa versa with something like Valkyria Chronicles. Influence wise sure I guess Demon's Souls is the only thing that has been worthy of note that I can think of(Witcher 2 devs clearly made it a point to say they got some ideas from it). But even on the Western side it's hardly been something that's been genre wide. It's not like every sandbox game has adopted Assassin's Creed's parkour or social stealth. And that has slaughtered every sandbox game in sales save Grand Theft Auto. And I don't see much of GTA 4 or even RDR's influence going off into the rest of the genre. And they certainly aren't lacking in any praise. Call of Duty has had a major influence on the entire medium, as we can see how holiday season has completely changed in gaming. But outside of that what other games are you calling out for being influential? Gears of War has pretty much made cover schemes a thing that will stay,and well there is the over abundance of hoard modes(although that type of mode goes way far back, so wrong game maybe) Bethesda and Bioware games while doing very well scores wise/sales wise haven't necessarily had a major impact on other RPGs. Witcher doesn't really borrow many ideas, that weren't already RPG norms. Outside of that. Hardly seeing major influences that are really branching out.

Horde mode is actually from the original AVP. :o Just sayin'.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Salt_The_Fries
But honestly where the Japanese devs excel and I enjoyed their numerous games the most was the Nintendo DS. That's where they are most relevant. On big consoles...not so much, with few exceptions.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

JLF1MarkII

No. Gears of War (codename Unreal Warfare) was in development before RE4 came out.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

JLF1MarkII

RE was not so action dynamic then Gears.... until RE6