CoD: Ghosts earns Activision $1 billion in less than a day

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Activision: "Call of Duty is by far the largest console franchise of this generation,"

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/06/activision-call-of-duty-ghosts-has-shipped-1-billion-worth-in/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

still need to learn how to hire more people.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58954 Posts

Best con job in the world.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

IW put out a sub par product, it's sad it's selling that well.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Best con job in the world.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This is sad.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Wish i worked at infinity ward, i'm shit at making games, and i want heaps of money

Would fit right in :/

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

what a shame i wish CoD was deleted from gaming

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#10 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Glad to see people like good games.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Dang!!!

Just completely obliterated GTA5's record in a day?!!!!!

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

Dang!!!

These are shipped numbers. They don't know the actual sell-through yet. GTA's numbers were from actual sales to consumers.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Shipped numbers lol,let´s see when the actual proper sales numbers hit.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I swear to myself Ghost was the last CoD game i get ever, i am done withthe series.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 finalstar2007

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Netret0120 said:

Dang!!!

These are shipped numbers. They don't know the actual sell-through yet. GTA's numbers were from actual sales to consumers.

While they are shipped numbers they DO mean something and it means Activision got that $1 Billion in their bank account as we speak as companies and corporations do not ship their products for free.

of course you'll be discussing games sitting in the shelf's not being bought by customers and in the end returning to the original publisher but the game has just released and them being returned wont happen till much later next year so as of right now Activision earned $1 Billion from Call of Duty: Ghosts.

The same story applies to GTA5 i dont think they've ever said they actually sold a number of copies to customers but they also mentioned shipped ( 28 million copies ) so rockstar earned all that money from the 28 million copies shipped, to the company they earned the money already.

not trying to defend Activision ( havent even got CoD and probably wont get it till later next year ) or RockStar but saying shipped means nothing is not correct.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By finalstar2007

@MrYaotubo said:

You do know "shipped" means the company got the money right? companies do not ship the products for free, they already got that $1 billion from all retailers they sold them to but of course it dosent mean all those copies shipped been actually sold to customers but from the company respective they've earned that money and the game is a huge success.

Same applies to Rockstar saying they shipped 28 million copies across PS3 and xbox means they earned the money from all those copies shipped and the game been a huge success.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

You do know "shipped" means the company got the money right? companies do not ship the products for free, they already got that $1 billion from all retailers they sold them to but of course it dosent mean all those copies shipped been actually sold to customers but from the company respective they've earned that money and the game is a huge success.

Same applies to Rockstar saying they shipped 28 million copies across PS3 and xbox means they earned the money from all those copies shipped and the game been a huge success.

Read the second and the final paragraph of this article.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Key point is these figures are based on units shipped/sold to retailers, not units sold to consumers. GTA V's record still holds and I imagine it still will hold as many are calling this CoD the worst yet, with the series' sales figures going down ever since Black Ops 2.

Also it's no real surprise that they broke $1 billion in units shipped; this is CoD, it's going to be on every platform conceivable. If Activision could find a way to get CoD on your microwave they'd do it.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

I swear to myself Ghost was the last CoD game i get ever, i am done withthe series.

You will still buy it next year you aren't kidding anyone

Anvinash1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Anvinash1177
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

@MrYaotubo: Yep http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/09/18/gta-5-sells-800-million-in-one-day/ "$800 million in sell-through" http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1856046&highlight= . 1 billion is sold to retailers for COD ghosts, we don't yet know if it sold more which I doubt it.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aroxx_ab

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@aroxx_ab said:

You will still buy it next year you aren't kidding anyone

No just no, it will not happen again i promise, myself. Damn i could had got "Metro Last Light" for the money i gave for Ghost:(

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

The actual sales numbers will be much lower. Sales projections for ghosts is much lower than expected, will have a rough time just as ac4 and bf4 has been having.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

When you make cash like that I guess you don't have to put out a good product. Simpletons will buy it without any hesitation.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@aroxx_ab: yeah after the 200th and latest release you say no more lol they got your money already

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

It is really a sad day for gamers

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I don't know anybody that has bought the game. Usually everybody gets COD at launch.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

Me neither. Usually a COD launch is some public event but Ghosts really just felt like it came out of nowhere. I expect it to sell a lot less to consumers than what Black Ops II did.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

COD is fun but gets really old after a while. And after MW3, I have decided to go with only the Treyarch ones.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Glad to see people like good games.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Activision: "Call of Duty is by far the largest console franchise of this generation,"

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/06/activision-call-of-duty-ghosts-has-shipped-1-billion-worth-in/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

Actually this article is wrong.

It's shipped a billions dollars worth. It didn't make a billion dollars worth.

Also lol acitivision doing damage control

"The billion dollar mark was likely chosen to contrast the game's accomplishment with that of Grand Theft Auto 5, which sold $1 billion to consumers in three days, where as Call of Duty shipped a billion dollars worth of game to retail stores. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the "most pre-ordered" game at GameStop this yea"

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Animal-Mother

@finalstar2007 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Netret0120 said:

Dang!!!

While they are shipped numbers they DO mean something and it means Activision got that $1 Billion in their bank account as we speak as companies and corporations do not ship their products for free.

of course you'll be discussing games sitting in the shelf's not being bought by customers and in the end returning to the original publisher but the game has just released and them being returned wont happen till much later next year so as of right now Activision earned $1 Billion from Call of Duty: Ghosts.

The same story applies to GTA5 i dont think they've ever said they actually sold a number of copies to customers but they also mentioned shipped ( 28 million copies ) so rockstar earned all that money from the 28 million copies shipped, to the company they earned the money already.

not trying to defend Activision ( havent even got CoD and probably wont get it till later next year ) or RockStar but saying shipped means nothing is not correct.

Finalfail not reading his resources. This thread is a fail. Just like any other final star thread

Here let me paint the picture for you.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/20/grand-theft-auto-5-sales-surpass-1-billion/ SOLD. NOT SHIPPED

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#32  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

How much did it actually ship? I don't see any number of shipped copies.

Also, that sucks, because Call of Duty Ghosts is the worst entry in the series yet. That's saying something, I thought it was hard to go further down from Modern Warfare 3.

*sigh*

I just want it to be as bombastic and fun as Black Ops again, is that asking for too much?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animal-Mother

@charizard1605 said:

How much did it actually ship? I don't see any number of shipped copies.

Also, that sucks, because Call of Duty Ghosts is the worst entry in the series yet. That's saying something, I thought it was hard to go further down from Modern Warfare 3.

*sigh*

I just want it to be as bombastic and fun as Black Ops again, is that asking for too much?

They don't give the numbers shipped. Just enough to make a billion dollars. Which A) Finalstar thinks Activision has already made and B) Thinks has already sold....

But of course he gets the hell out of dodge before being proven absolutely wrong and making himself look silly.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
@Animal-Mother said:

Finalfail not reading his resources. This thread is a fail. Just like any other final star thread

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/20/grand-theft-auto-5-sales-surpass-1-billion/ SOLD. NOT SHIPPED

I wanna call shens on that.. All sales numbers are shipped.. You can't get hard sales numbers, not that fast anyway.. You would have to get the numbers from every single retailer.. shens..Also once it's shipped the money is in ATVI's pocket...

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@Animal-Mother: There no possible way for them to get all the sale numbers from every retail. Note that it was nearly estimations on how much they believed was earned in three days.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Lol. GTA V spanked dat ass.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I like how people argue "shipped not equal sold" for Call of Duty, as if all those units are going to sit on store shelves and end up being sent back to Activision and the series has a track record of not being able to sell through initial shipments.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@finalstar2007 said:

"The billion dollar mark was likely chosen to contrast the game's accomplishment with that of Grand Theft Auto 5, which sold $1 billion to consumers in three days, where as Call of Duty shipped a billion dollars worth of game to retail stores. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the "most pre-ordered" game at GameStop this yea"

I know it's been said many times in this thread, you know that it shipped a billion $ worth, means Activision received the money for that much? I regularly make things it give it to stores to sell free of charge.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@Senor_Kami said:

I like how people argue "shipped not equal sold" for Call of Duty, as if all those units are going to sit on store shelves and end up being sent back to Activision and the series has a track record of not being able to sell through initial shipments.

How often do you think retailers send games back to the publisher?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animal-Mother

@Couth_ said:
@Animal-Mother said:

I wanna call shens on that.. All sales numbers are shipped.. You can't get hard sales numbers, not that fast anyway.. You would have to get the numbers from every single retailer.. shens..Also once it's shipped the money is in ATVI's pocket...

No they're not

Retail game that sells at $60

was bought from the publisher at about $48

The publisher makes about $18 - $25 depending on how well the game sells

A digital game can make a publisher about $42 on a $60 gam

I can't mail out a product to a retailer that doesn't sell and than call it a sale.

Though I do agree there is a sale and I see what you are saying. It just doesn't work that way.

Activision hasn't made a billion dollars. It says they shipped a billion dollars worth of copies out. I'm also going on to the defense by saying. The shipped/sold. But it didn't earn a billion dollars selling to consumers and that is a fact.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

People are zombies for this game even when IW puts out a buggy product

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:

@Senor_Kami said:

Of Call of Duty games shipped to the store for day one sales? Probably close to zero and the few that are are disc errors, not because they sat on shelves and went unsold.

We're talking Call of Duty here people. People act like the series is a sales flop and no titles ever sell through their initial shipment. Has there ever been anything to suggest this?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Animal-Mother

@Senor_Kami said:

@dotWithShoes said:

@Senor_Kami said:

Of Call of Duty games shipped to the store for day one sales? Probably close to zero and the few that are are disc errors, not because they sat on shelves and went unsold.

We're talking Call of Duty here people. People act like the series is a sales flop and no titles ever sell through their initial shipment. Has there ever been anything to suggest this?

No because you're right. Call of duty sells.

@dotWithShoes said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@finalstar2007 said:

I know it's been said many times in this thread, you know that it shipped a billion $ worth, means Activision received the money for that much? I regularly make things it give it to stores to sell free of charge.

We're arguing terminology here. I understand what everyone is getting at and i'm not that stupid to think a publisher would give away the shipments away for free.

Shipping=Mailing and delivering the product to retailers for a specified profit. In this case most $60 dollar games are sold to a retailer for around 48 dollars.

Sold= Amount of product moved by retailers into the consumers hands which denotes true sales numbers. Like everyone is saying nobody can know if it made a billion dollars a little over 24 hours later.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Enough said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Thats cool and dandy but... did it surpass GTA V sales like they predicted?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Shameful.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By aroxx_ab

@kemar7856 said:

@aroxx_ab: yeah after the 200th and latest release you say no more lol they got your money already

But they tricked me with flashy trailers+ Bf4 is unplayable in the current state so i thought CoD was going to be better and i didnt wait for reviews either :(

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

GTA 5 will provide less fun than COD multiplayer tbh.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

If it doesn't sell well in-store, then it could be more damaging than if they just shipped half as many.