Case Against Valve In Germany May Lead To Used Game Sales on Steam

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Good. What Valve did was disgraceful and they made it clear they're not any different from all those "big evil corporations"..ie they are willing to screw you ower completely whenever it suits them.

AdrianWerner
Can you clarify exactly what Valve did that was disgraceful? tia
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#152 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
You think PC DRM is bad now? Watch what happens if this goes through. (if it ever happens globally, if it wins in Germany Valve/Steam will just leave them)
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#153 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Good. What Valve did was disgraceful and they made it clear they're not any different from all those "big evil corporations"..ie they are willing to screw you ower completely whenever it suits them.

PurpleMan5000

First they tried to squirm they out of legil court rulling, which in itsefl is disgraceful. But what's worse, to do that they bassicaly blackmailed their whole european userbase into accepting the terms designed solely to go around said ruling. If you wouldn't accept those terms you would loose all the games you've bought. 

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#154 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I'm all for reselling games I have no intention of playing again.  My Steam library is full of stuff I'd part with and put towards a new purchase.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

All the people saying Valve will just leave Germany and, by extension, the European Union, make me lol. :lol:

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

AdrianWerner

First they tried to squirm they out of legil court rulling, which in itsefl is disgraceful. But what's worse, to do that they bassicaly blackmailed their whole european userbase into accepting the terms designed solely to go around said ruling. If you wouldn't accept those terms you would loose all the games you've bought. 

And this is why GOG is my favourite retailer. :D

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] Can you clarify exactly what Valve did that was disgraceful? tiaHexagon_777

And this is why GOG is my favourite retailer. :D

yep. I try to buy games there instead of Steam because with Steam there's a risk sooner or later I must lose all of my library. With GoG I have backed up the install files and I'm safe.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#158 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

You think PC DRM is bad now? Watch what happens if this goes through. (if it ever happens globally, if it wins in Germany Valve/Steam will just leave them)Eikichi-Onizuka

Valve can't afford to lose Germany. Germany is the largest PC gaming market in Europe and one of the largest in the World. If Valve leaves them, someone else will take their place. 

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]You think PC DRM is bad now? Watch what happens if this goes through. (if it ever happens globally, if it wins in Germany Valve/Steam will just leave them)Icarian

Valve can't afford to lose Germany. Germany is the largest PC gaming market in Europe and one of the largest in the World. If Valve leaves them, someone else will take their place. 

If this takes off in Germany, the UK and France will likely enforce their laws as well, so it's not just Germany that Valve should be worried about.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Used digital sales make no sense to me, it's digital, the quality will always be the same, it doesn't degrade with time. Not exactly "used".

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Would allowing used game sales on DD affect sale prices?
Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropefaizan_faizan

:lol: Americans.

You're on an American website, using a computer (invented by an American company), connected to the internet (invented by DARPA), using an OS most likely created by an American company.

Broad stereotype judgments regarding any group simply make you look like an ignorant fool...

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 NeonNinja

They don't necessarily have to let me sell the games to other individuals.  But basically having the ability to trade a game for credit towards a new purchase works out too.  There are ways to make it work.  Green Man Gaming lets you sell your stuff back (so long as it doesn't require Steam).

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeBruin1986

You're on an American website, using a computer (invented by an American company), connected to the internet (invented by DARPA), using an OS most likely created by an American company.

Broad stereotype judgments regarding any group simply make you look like an ignorant fool...

There's also GameSpot UK, Australia and Asia.  They share content on the American website and the forums are shared for all of those individuals.  It's called the World Wide Web because it's for the world, whether the company started in America or not.  Going online makes you something everyone has access to.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Hexagon_777

Used digital sales make no sense to me, it's digital, the quality will always be the same, it doesn't degrade with time. Not exactly "used".

SaltyMeatballs

It's not about whether it's used or not, it's about whether it can be resold, and by German law, as well as UK law, it can.

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

Hexagon_777

It's not about whether it's used or not, it's about whether it can be resold, and by German law, as well as UK law, it can.

Ok, but resell it on your own service? Or pirate it?
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

CJ_ofCamelot

Ok, but resell it on your own service? Or pirate it?

What? :?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#169 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]You think PC DRM is bad now? Watch what happens if this goes through. (if it ever happens globally, if it wins in Germany Valve/Steam will just leave them)Hexagon_777

If this takes off in Germany, the UK and France will likely enforce their laws as well, so it's not just Germany that Valve should be worried about.

By extension this would annihilate the entire software industry which relies on licences. It will never happen.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#170 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

Hexagon_777

It's stupid.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeBruin1986

Americans :lol: lol @ Handegg.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

It won´t lead to anything. Used sales are imposible in digital format. Period.

Even if they succeed in Germany (very small chance), it won´t be applied worldwide.

Besides, didn´t German court dismiss before other similar cases from the same activist group ? I have heard that this is not their 1st attempt in fabricating a case.

jhonMalcovich
who say it's impossible? you just transfer rights to the game :>
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="percech"] HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. Your credibility went down to 0 just like that.percech
nice edit broski ohhhh OWND

lol, PC dweebs.

lol Bayern. :lol:
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

blue_hazy_basic

By extension this would annihilate the entire software industry which relies on licences. It will never happen.

Just like sales of used games has annihiltated console market?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

People are idiots.

1080pOnly
I wouldn't mouth off when you're missing the point of the article - discussion of the rights of ownership. No one is saying Steam isn't a good service, the legality of how licenses are handled is being called into question. That's good for everyone.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Bruin1986
All manufactured in a variety countries so we can actually afford all of these right. Cmon now broad strokes all round.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

blue_hazy_basic

I doubt it would be that bad. How would the software insutry suffer in comparison to other industries if licenses could be resold?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

SaltyMeatballs

It's stupid.

Not entirely sure if pro consumer laws are stupid.