Case Against Valve In Germany May Lead To Used Game Sales on Steam

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#101 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59211 Posts

Germany should still be paying war reparations.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

uninspiredcup

Pretty sure they are.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not going to happen. At most they will allow the exchange of software.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

A used digital game makes no sense. The idea of it being sued is that someone already used it and wore it down passed the brand new original pristine condition.

A Digital game gets no wear and tear

seanmcloughlin
My virus infected game folder with missing files disagrees. :P
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

:lol: Americans.

faizan_faizan

lolgermany loleurope lolamerica. Happy?

lolafrica Now I'm happy.

racist

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#106 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Funny how here in the US people complain and cry over used game sales and in Germany you can sue a company for not providing you with it.
MajorPain10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 MajorPain10
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

SO much ignorance, I love steam but this should happen, it's far form impossible, just sell your serial key for each game, it would work perfectly. 

Eddie-Vedder

If it is as simple as selling your serial key for each game, then you shouldn't need Steam to provide a method or service to do so. It's like forcing Steam to make a GameStop when Microsoft and Sony don't have to.

The only way this would work is if it worked similarly to the way the trading card system currently works. I doubt they would let people write offtheir games for cheap, as it would create to much competition on their own platform, which would also hurt the devs (which might then turn against the service in general). Steam would have to have control of the pricing, as well as take a huge cut of what you make off of the sale. Why would ANYONE buy a digital copy of a game "new" when you can buy it "used" from someone else?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 GD1551

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

SO much ignorance, I love steam but this should happen, it's far form impossible, just sell your serial key for each game, it would work perfectly. 

MajorPain10

If it is as simple as selling your serial key for each game, then you shouldn't need Steam to provide a method or service to do so. It's like forcing Steam to make a GameStop when Microsoft and Sony don't have to.

Steam has to deactivate the serial and allow it to be reactivated on another account, that's pretty much it.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
with the huge backlog steam owners have, do they even care?
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeclyde46
lol europoor

lol Amerifat.

lol ameridumb as well.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="heeweesRus"]lol europoorRoOodriGowW

lol Amerifat.

lol ameridumb as well.

This is going places. 

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#112 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

It won´t lead to anything. Used sales are imposible in digital format. Period.

Even if they succeed in Germany (very small chance), it won´t be applied worldwide.

Besides, didn´t German court dismiss before other similar cases from the same activist group ? I have heard that this is not their 1st attempt in fabricating a case.

jhonMalcovich

Yes they did, but last year The European Court of Justice ruled that digitally distributed software can be resold as used. The Court ruled that a copyright holder loses all distribution rights the moment it sells a copy of its software to the customer no matter what the license agreement says. 

Source

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#113 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Used digital sales? Wont happen. I dont see why it would anyway.
SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeheeweesRus
lol europoor

That's coming from a Russian. :lol:

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeSchnabbleTab

lol europoor

I'm Russian?

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 SchnabbleTab

[QUOTE="percech"]

Germany > Murrica. Smarter people, better technology, and better human rights.

blue_hazy_basic

LOL

Anyways this is not a place to discuss politics people.

I've lived in Both Germany and the United States and I know for a fact that Germany has better human rights than the US. A friend of mine hasn't been to a dentist for over 5 years because he can't affordt it, in Germany no matter how poor someone is, they can always see a doctor/dentist/lawyer etc.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 SchnabbleTab

[QUOTE="SchnabbleTab"]

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]lol europoorheeweesRus

I'm Russian?

Sure, why not.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#118 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Digital reselling would destroy PC Software industry faster than global worldwide piracy. it would be super great for the consumer, but it would be disastrous for publishers and developers to the point they would completely cease making digital content. Or they would just price it 5 times as expensive.

jhonMalcovich

It's this type of thinking that is eroding the games industry.  Having a game available used HELPS the games industry, because it makes the product more appealing.  If you know that you won't be married to a game after you buy it, you are more likely to make the initial purchase.   It's the same thing in principle as the car industry.  Do you honestly think that the car industry would benefit from an outright ban on used car sales?  Are video games immune from this type of thinking?  Why?

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 SchnabbleTab

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeRR360DD

:lol: Americans.

lolgermany loleurope lolamerica. Happy?

You forgot lolcanada.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#120 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

If we could freely trade, and sell our digital games to other people over Steam then I'm pretty certain that would do a drastic amount of damage to the PC gaming industry.

There is absolutely no wear, and tear done to a digital copy when I use it, nor are there any shipping fees, or other obstacles to go through to get my game to someone else as there is with a retail version.

Maybe you could trade a game back in to Valve/developer for a credit towards a future game purchase, or something, but I don't know about outright having a used games market on the PC with the current system.

Ly_the_Fairy

I definitely sympathize with this argument.  A digital used game is technically possible but has a lot of differences with stuff we normally consider to be "used".  

A fair compromise would be to allow publishers to get some percentage of cost of re-sale.  If the games industry is smart they will push for this type of system.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

GD1551

Pretty sure they are.

I think they paid them off a couple years ago.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

JangoWuzHere

Pretty sure they are.

I think they paid them off a couple years ago.

Nah it's still going on, it's called operation bailout the EU.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 SchnabbleTab

[QUOTE="percech"]

ReadingRainbow4

And textbooks that completely glance over world war 2. lol.

You mean America? Because Germanies textbooks are full of WW2 stuff, they're not hiding their past like some other countries here.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Even though I want it there is a problem with this.

Unlike physical goods, trading digital data is so much easier. You can sell your game to someone in China for example in an instant. That means the same game will go in a hundred hands easily.

Plus unlike physical goods they don't wear down and deteriorate the more they're used.

Without any sort of regulations this will hurt developers, more than trading discs. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
deactivated-5851fca92f6f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

I'm sure it's already been said but if they allow people to sell their digital games on Steam then goodbye Steam sales, it just means that anyone could buy a game during the sale for dirt cheap, then sell it off after the sale ends for more.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SchnabbleTab

I'm sure it's already been said but if they allow people to sell their digital games on Steam then goodbye Steam sales, it just means that anyone could buy a game during the sale for dirt cheap, then sell it off after the sale ends for more.

EtherealMachine

People do that all the time, instead of selling it on Steam they sell it on Amazon and E-bay.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

That would be dificult to organize.

NationProtector
You sell the activation code with it. Which in turn means you can't play that games once you sell it. i see no real issue with it because it's a BETTER STRATEGY than full DRM DD.

the problem with it though is many games activate a seperate account, on like uplay or origin even. so you can't even just sell the key, the infrastructure just isn't there once the key is out its pointless to be able to sell.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="XboxStache"]

Europe sucks. 

parkurtommo
why

No console from europe yet :P
MajorPain10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 MajorPain10
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

[QUOTE="MajorPain10"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

GD1551

Steam has to deactivate the serial and allow it to be reactivated on another account, that's pretty much it.

The only real major concern in this case would be the price model and how people are able to sell their "used" game.
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Germany making Europe a mess the last 5 years or so ... Why not mess up with video gaming and digital shopping as well ?!! They are used to do such things.percech
It's not Germany's fault that countries like Greece and Spain are such fails.

And guess what? These bailouts Germany gave completly broke those countries you mentioned due to borrowing costs.

However I do like the idea of used sales in steam

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts
Not read the whole thread yet so this may have already been mentioned. 1) Yes, there was a similar case in Germany a while ago which Valve won but that was before the EU passed a bill stating that online goods should be transferable in the same way physical goods are. That EU wide ruling changes the game. 2) This is not just a Germany thing. If Valve lose then it will be EU wide so it is unlikely that Valve will leave the entire EU market. 3) The specific piece of legislation is that users should be able to transfer their licences. It is quite possible that Valve can comply with the letter of the law while still making it practically useless by having high transfer fees that make used games expensive or by making the user that sells his game get practically nothing for it after said fees. Ultimately it will be interesting to see where it goes.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#132 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Even if they succeed in Germany (very small chance), it won´t be applied worldwide.

Besides, didn´t German court dismiss before other similar cases from the same activist group ? I have heard that this is not their 1st attempt in fabricating a case.

jhonMalcovich

no they are not. steam is already allowing users to sell items via a marketplace. a similar thing could be done with games. however it would take a lot of time probably 6 months to develop and another 6 to roll out successfully. the groundwork is there but effort needs to be done to ensure that once sold that game and its files leave your PC permanently

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Good news.

That would be dificult to organize.

parkurtommo
Technically I doubt it, the trading system is already there. In terms of licensing, that's the problem.

jhonMalcovich
You're horrendously wrong. From Amazon's borrowing system to Greenman Gaming's sellback or even Stream's trading. It's possible as far as technology and account binding is concerned - no one is budging because there's been little legal pressure.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

lolgermany loleuropeRR360DD

Yeh , screw them and their consumer rights , who needs mandatory 2 year warranty's or rights to sell what you paid for .

They should be lubed up like you guys !

Not !

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#135 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

if it exists, there's a lawsuit for it

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The biggest issue here is companies will lose money which in turn will kill the major steam sales many love. If you can buy a game for the price it cost to rent why would you even want to sell it?
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
The biggest issue here is companies will lose money which in turn will kill the major steam sales many love. If you can buy a game for the price it cost to rent why would you even want to sell it?wooooode
Not sure how this will work (if it happens) but they could do a model like with the trading cards where steam takes some of the money from each sale, that way some of the money could be given to the developer as well as valve.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#138 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
There will cease to be steam sales if this goes through, whether that's for the best or worse.
Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

How would that work for games that use third party applications like GFWL, Uplay, EA, etc.? Would the seller be forced to sell those accounts along with the game? Some games probably won't give you 100% of the entire game unless you purchase the game new (not including multiplayer).

Without regarding consumer rights and whatnot for a second, if this goes through, I feel like that future Steam sales will be indefinitely stricter, even though it shouldn't. Since money is involved, something may change. It's nice that people would have more freedom to do what they want with the games, but I don't want it to affect future sales. I like my "$10 for an entire game franchise" bundles.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="percech"]

SchnabbleTab

And textbooks that completely glance over world war 2. lol.

You mean America? Because Germanies textbooks are full of WW2 stuff, they're not hiding their past like some other countries here.

American textbooks glance over the Eugenics because they don't want to be blamed for inspiring Hitler :lol:

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#141 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

Licenses and use-rights are bought and sold on open markets all the time.

You're not buying the game, you're buying a right to play the game.

blue_hazy_basic

This. If Valve were to lose they'd just leave Germany. Who wins then "consumer rights" group?

Not saying I disagree or anything but if I remember correctly, Not only are they one of the larger PC markets, but this ruling if won would encompass the entirety of the EU. That being said, Digital items are far from impervious to trade. A $100 piece of software, digital or otherwise isn't going to stay $100 forever. Time and competition will gradually bring the price down regardless of whether you can keep it on a disk or a hard drive as either a better version or more competitors arrive. My problem is, that the trading still doesn't get rid of my biggest issues personally(mandated steam) and #2 if not implemented carefully will destroy the industry.

If Rome 2 is going for 39.99, but players are selling their copies for an average of say $25, this would put the publisher at a HUGE disadvantage. So the only difference would be who you want you give your money to, the CA/Sega or Bobdeathmachine2000. Digital trade would otherwise need to be extremely regulated as far as pricing goes between both steam and other storefronts as well as publishers to ensure that the abuse of cheap digital copies from users doesn't add an unnecessary layer of stress in sales. There needs to be some stopper, for example that says, "The minimum amount players can charge for a digital copy of their game must be equivalent to the current price of the game on the market".

If Rome 2 is 39.99, then you could not sell your game for anything less than 39.99

But again, highly finicky.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts
[QUOTE="Jack-Burton"]Germany is why the European version of TLOU looks like this.  supposedly fight for gamers with one hand, but take with the other.

That really pisses me off. When I execute someone with my shotgun, their body parts aren't dismembered. And this kills off the immersion for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#143 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Steam is pretty good about selling big games for like $3-$10, they seem an odd target to go after. 

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Valve won a similar suit last year. This will go nowhere.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
There will cease to be steam sales if this goes through, whether that's for the best or worse.GhoX
Why? If there's a cut going towards publishers or the distributor that doesn't make any sense, let alone how many licenses are sold during sale periods. As with retail, markdowns and sales aren't affected by preowned sales.

Valve won a similar suit last year. This will go nowhere.

StormyJoe
Source?
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"]

blue_hazy_basic

LOL

Anyways this is not a place to discuss politics people.

The only thing lolworthy is America's health care system. Sorry, you're too poor for a doctor.

At least it gives us Breaking Bad.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

jhonMalcovich
Nah, the EU is crazy. They made MS sell a version of the OS that didn't support MP3s and another where the had to advertise for Netscape. They are very anti-successful business.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Nothing will change.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

People are idiots.

There should be no re-sale for digital content through Steam, period.  If you cannot afford to pay full price then wait until it is cheap, Steam provides content for ALL budgets.  

To feel you should, by law, be able to re-sell something you don't actually own when you have taken value from the service YOU AGREED TO in the first place is entitlement at it's worst.

Steam provides an advertising platform for developers, it provides a digital locker for you to download your game as many times as you wish and 'store' it on the Steam servers when you don't.  They allow you to install it on as many devices as you wish, play offline and provide a host of features to discuss the game or seek technical support for the game and all in an easy to use platform.  This platform provides integrated chat, friends lists, achievements, cloud synching (save games and settings), integration for modding and so on.

This adds value to your digital purchase, it is why people choose Steam over other services.  To then ask to re-sell the content you probably bought for peanuts anyway is ridiculous.  If you can't afford a few bucks for a game or can't wait a couple of months for it to become a few bucks then you have bigger issues than used game sales/value.

/rant off.

*Edit* Game sharing is different, a very cool idea and would lead to more sales in the long run i'm sure.  

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Good. What Valve did was disgraceful and they made it clear they're not any different from all those "big evil corporations"..ie they are willing to screw you ower completely whenever it suits them.