Case Against Valve In Germany May Lead To Used Game Sales on Steam

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="AzatiS"]Germany making Europe a mess the last 5 years or so ... Why not mess up with video gaming and digital shopping as well ?!! They are used to do such things.parkurtommo
It's not Germany's fault that countries like Greece and Spain are such fails.

Indeed, my government (Portugal) is the only one at fault for their problems, hell they're f*cking themselves over by increasing emigration with the horrible tax rates. No one wants to stay in this country anymore. I don't think that's Germany's fault. Same applies to Greece.

The problem with the Eurozone is that countries with poor credit ratings were allowed access to a higher value currency. In the case of Greece, the Euro was worth more than the Drachma so everyone loaded up on this new found credit. Only problem was, when it came time to pay it back, coupled with the global finical downturn, this left counties like Greece in a bad spot. Too many people with too much debt.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

They already do something like this with music

https://www.redigi.com/

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Any win is a good win against DRM king Steam.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

For now, we are continuing to extend the Steam services to gamers in Germany and around the world.

GamingBolt

That just sounds like they would cut Germany out of their market if used digital sales were to happen.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

That would be dificult to organize.

parkurtommo
You sell the activation code with it. Which in turn means you can't play that games once you sell it. i see no real issue with it because it's a BETTER STRATEGY than full DRM DD.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Vavle has given us so much what with all of those crazy sales and stuff. Not to mention the badass games and service they provide us. 

Master_ShakeXXX

Just another wankfest for nerdy computer weirdos. I'll continue to play on consoles because I'm a socially inclined individual.

Master_ShakeXXX
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

That would be dificult to organize.

NationProtector
You sell the activation code with it. Which in turn means you can't play that games once you sell it. i see no real issue with it because it's a BETTER STRATEGY than full DRM DD.

No, the prices would rapidly decrease, Steam's market would collapse within days without direct intervention, which would require resources. I would rather Steam NOT commit financial suicide.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

That's problematic... being able to resell digital games on Steam could lead to plenty of people badly exploiting the system, but still, I'm in support of this move.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

The problem is not Steam.

The problem is DRM.

DRM is used because "big business" controls America, and America controls the world.

When you put DRM under a microscope, it fails under any jurisprudence, it is anti-free market, anti-consumer, anti-everything, there is NO justification for it, in fact the human race cannot survive with DRM mindset.

Imagine if they shut down libraries because "bu bu you're letting people read books for free, they should have to pay for every page they get to read."

Imagine if they shut down schools, "what! You let kids read the same algebra book since the 70's, we're not getting paid per user!"

Saying that developers would go out of business is a fallacy.

Gabe is a billionaire.

Kottick is a billionaire.

Richitello is a billionaire.

Gamers aren't squeezing the life out of developers, PUBLISHERS are squeezing the life out of developers. The artists and musicians and programmers who get FIRED because the publisher (lawyers, accountants, managers) isn't making enough.

The whole thing about Gamers vs Developers is wrong.

It's the publisher that has always poisoned the relationship, impoverished the developer and SCREWED OVER the gamers.

Steam is a publisher. Gabe Newell has a mansion and 14 cars, "bu bu we're too poor to let people give their game to a friend" rriiiiiiiight.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 clyde46

The problem is DRM.

DRM is used because "big business" controls America, and America controls the world.

When you put DRM under a microscope, it fails under any jurisprudence, it is anti-free market, anti-consumer, anti-everything, there is NO justification for it, in fact the human race cannot survive with DRM mindset.

Imagine if they shut down libraries because "bu bu you're letting people read books for free, they should have to pay for every page they get to read."

Imagine if they shut down schools, "what! You let kids read the same algebra book since the 70's, we're not getting paid per user!"

Gabe is a billionaire.

Gamers aren't squeezing the life out of developers, PUBLISHERS are squeezing the life out of developers. The artists and musicians and programmers who get FIRED because the publisher (lawyers, accountants, managers) isn't making enough.

It's the publisher that has always poisoned the relationship, impoverished the developer and SCREWED OVER the gamers.

Steam is a publisher. Gabe Newell has a mansion and 14 cars, "bu bu we're too poor to let people give their game to a friend" rriiiiiiiight.

LazySloth718
So content creators shouldn't be allowed to protect their work?
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

This is bad news for everyone.

The bottom line is that if Germany says they need to allow the resale of digital products (which makes no frigign sense at all) Steam is just going to cut Germany out. Which is bad for PC gaming since Germany represents a LOT of PC gamers.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LazySloth718

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

The problem is DRM.

Gabe is a billionaire.

clyde46

When an artist asks me that, I'm sympathetic.

When a lawyer asks me that, I don't give a schit.

I don't really care if Lady Gaga makes a million dollars less this year.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LazySloth718

This is bad news for everyone.

The bottom line is that if Germany says they need to allow the resale of digital products (which makes no frigign sense at all) Steam is just going to cut Germany out. Which is bad for PC gaming since Germany represents a LOT of PC gamers.

Kinthalis

Nah they already have it in the UK.

They should make it global.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
On one hand I want this. On the other, how much would this affect devs? To be honest, I'd be content on getting that gamesharing system that was rumored to be in the works.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropefaizan_faizan

:lol: Americans.

lolgermany loleurope lolamerica. Happy?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeRR360DD

lolearth
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

It won´t lead to anything. Used sales are imposible in digital format. Period.

jhonMalcovich

GreenManGaming seems to have a model working.

GreenManGaming´s model doesn´t support trading or reselling between users, but you can trade in your games to Greenmangaming for the store credit.

Not all games on Greenmnagamign support this feature, but only soem of them. As I understand they make a special deal with the developers, so the developer gets a cut from this kind of operations. 

Yeah and the credit you get back is terrible too

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Do I think I should be able to sell used digital copies of games? Absolutely. It would make some of those publisher packs far more appealing if I could recoup a few dollars on games in the bundle that I don't really want. It doesn't really matter, though. The vast majority of games I purchase on steam are bought for less than $10.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeRR360DD

lolasia lolaustralia lolantarctica lolafrica Now I'm happy.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

faizan_faizan

lolaliens

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#71 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="RR360DD"] lolgermany loleurope lolamerica. Happy?jhonMalcovich

lolaliens

Oy! You can go too far.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

If we could freely trade, and sell our digital games to other people over Steam then I'm pretty certain that would do a drastic amount of damage to the PC gaming industry.

There is absolutely no wear, and tear done to a digital copy when I use it, nor are there any shipping fees, or other obstacles to go through to get my game to someone else as there is with a retail version.

Maybe you could trade a game back in to Valve/developer for a credit towards a future game purchase, or something, but I don't know about outright having a used games market on the PC with the current system.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

The problem is DRM.

Gabe is a billionaire.

clyde46

Protect it all you want, just don't release it to the public.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

The problem is DRM.

Gabe is a billionaire.

percech

You are an idiot.
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="clyde46"] So content creators shouldn't be allowed to protect their work?

You are an idiot.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 percech

[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="clyde46"] So content creators shouldn't be allowed to protect their work?clyde46

You are an idiot.

Say it to my face irl not on the internet, **** I will throw down hoe.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="percech"] Protect it all you want, just don't release it to the public.percech

You are an idiot.

Say it to my face irl not on the internet, **** I will throw down hoe.

I stand by my original statement.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 percech

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="percech"] Protect it all you want, just don't release it to the public.heeweesRus
You are an idiot.

HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. Your credibility went down to 0 just like that.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 clyde46
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="clyde46"] You are an idiot.

HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. You're credibility went down to 0 just like that.

That would imply that you had credibility in the first place.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 percech
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="heeweesRus"]clyde46
HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. You're credibility went down to 0 just like that.

That would imply that you had credibility in the first place.

I was talking about you, ya dingus. So I guess you never had credibility?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="clyde46"] You are an idiot. percech

HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. Your credibility went down to 0 just like that.

nice edit broski ohhhh OWND
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 percech
[QUOTE="percech"]

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]parkurtommo

lol, PC dweebs.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 clyde46
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="percech"] HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. Your credibility went down to 0 just like that.percech

lol, PC dweebs.

Case in point.
AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3233 Posts

I really feel that games in cd's that forces us to use Steam need to end. DD might not work well for used gaming and I can understand but cd versions of the game should. When I buy a game in cd I should be able to sell it or allow someone to borrow it. They should not be treated the same as a DD of a game.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 percech
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"] nice edit broski ohhhh OWND

lol, PC dweebs.

Case in point.

I still love you Clyde, but come on...developers are acting like a bunch of babies all the time. Why don't they just go after Gamestop and leave us alone?
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#86 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
lolgermany loleuropeRR360DD
Well congrats on the useless comment of the day
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts
[QUOTE="RR360DD"]lolgermany loleuropeheeweesRus
lol europoor

Coming from some Ameritwats who's idea of liberating hearts and minds includes rolling a humvee and tanks through a middle east town. while eating fast food while painting a picture of a Eagle wrap in a american flag with guns and dollars in the background.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Germany > Murrica. Smarter people, better technology, and better human rights.

percech

And textbooks that completely glance over world war 2. lol.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="percech"] HAHA heeweederp just agreed with you. Your credibility went down to 0 just like that.percech

lol, PC dweebs.

PWNED NOOB
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 clyde46

[QUOTE="percech"]

ReadingRainbow4

WW2 is such a confabulated period.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="percech"]

clyde46

Human rights Yo!

That's a great word, confabulation, confabulated.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

ReadingRainbow4

Human rights Yo!

That's a great word, confabulation, confabulated.

It was a random word that my spell check suggested :lol:
milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

Licenses and use-rights are bought and sold on open markets all the time.

You're not buying the game, you're buying a right to play the game.

clyde46

This. If Valve were to lose they'd just leave Germany. Who wins then "consumer rights" group?

Steam operates in the UK where we have a law that entitles us to a full refund of any product bought digitally within 7 days of the original purchase. It trumps any services TOU.

Same thing in France, and I can tell you it works fine. Managed to get refunded after discovering Dragon Age II was abysmally bad.

MajorPain10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MajorPain10
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

Can someone explain how used sales could even work on Steam?  It does not make any sense business wise for Steam, or for any digital platform for that matter.  What incentive would there be to purchase new games on Steam when you could buy a used digital copy for less, being no difference in quality?  In any sense, this would result in Valve losing money, which I doubt they would be in favor of.  

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I'd love to get rid of some games on my steam account.

Ballroompirate

Same! :D

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"]

ReadingRainbow4

Is that true? Sounds silly when you have numerous museums and Germans guilt tripping themselves to hell and back. I feel bad for them, dude.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

SO much ignorance, I love steam but this should happen, it's far form impossible, just sell your serial key for each game, it would work perfectly. 

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Eh no, I don't think it's a good idea.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

A used digital game makes no sense. The idea of it being sued is that someone already used it and wore it down passed the brand new original pristine condition.

A Digital game gets no wear and tear

seanmcloughlin

That makes no sense.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="percech"]

Hexagon_777

Is that true? Sounds silly when you have numerous museums and Germans guilt tripping themselves to hell and back. I feel bad for them, dude.

Maybe, I know Japan does it. Germans should stop guilt tripping themselves anyway, my cousin is german and she says Europeans in general have problems with them even though Germany has been pretty much bailing out the rest of clowns over the years.