Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Bwahahahahaha! In the month of January, Bravely Default ended up selling more in the US than Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. bravely Default has also outsold Lightning Returns in Japan.

This is amazing because:

Bravely Default is a new IP on a handheld which is turn based and was discarded by Square Enix as being too Japanese and so old school that it would not be successful, and was passed over for localization until Nintendo picked it up and brought it here

Lightning Returns is a mainline Final Fantasy game, with all the power of the brand, which is on multiple platforms, got a whole lot more advertising, and has shiny graphics and new gameplay systems and shit.

Maybe this will finally show Square Enix that what we want isn't more Lightning crap or bullshit re-invention of the series, but just the same old old school Final Fantasy games that made the brand so big in the first place.

SOURCE

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Still going to buy Lightning Returns before I get Bravely Default. Just waiting for the price to go down more while I finish 13-2.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

You need to cool down with the threads. You aren't going to get any more popular.

That said, both games are great. One is old school while another tried and succeeded pretty well with the combat+time limit.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

To be expected FF13 sucks.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Square Enix of America must be in complete shock right now. Maybe now their localization team will open their eyes to games that have a market here in the states (HANDHELD GAMING ISNT DEAD, they haven't come to this realization).

Isn't it funny? Before the Operation Rainfall trio, I would have never thought of Nintendo to be the one to localize niche japanese games and Square to pass them down. Times sure have changed.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

i just hope these crappy FF games bankrupt SE some day soon.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Will def buy Lightening Returns....maybe Bravely Default.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Wow, that's pretty unexpected...

In my other Silicon Studio graphics engine thread, when the suggestion came up of a next-gen HD Bravely game using that engine, I was doubting it for a moment... But with its unexpected success, Square Enix might consider it after all.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

How is anyone surprised by this? Bravely Default was fucking great. FF13-3 was absolutely poopy. This should not be a shock to anyone. Especially after FF13-3's negative critical reaction. I kept saying how Bravely was the best FF in 10 years.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

If art style wasn't as mediocre i'd buy a 3ds to play BD. I really hate it when they're forcing you to play as a loli...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@silversix_ said:

If art style wasn't as mediocre i'd buy a 3ds to play BD. I really hate it when they're forcing you to play as a loli...

The artstyle is beautiful! It evokes Final Fantasy IX.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

take that, inferior Final Fantasy game !

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

YES!!!! Go Bravely Default!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Good. Lightning Returns is total garbage.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Isn't LR a spin off and not a mainline game? Anyway, good for BD, a lot of people seem to really like it. I'm about 20 hours in and pretty bored honestly. The story is just not entertaining.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

In your face Final Sci-Fi Fantasy!

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pffrbt

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

The environments and character art are great, it's just the in game models are creepy and gross. They look like dead-eyed doll children with thunder thighs and no feet.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

To the gaming community: good on ya.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Good. Lightning Returns is total garbage.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By silversix_

@Pffrbt said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

The environments and character art are great, it's just the in game models are creepy and gross. They look like dead-eyed doll children with thunder thighs and no feet.

pretty much this

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

Lightning Returns has a pretty damn good combat system. Shit story, but it's the only place I'll get a battle system like it, so I'll take it. At its best, the battle system is just, wow. Too bad people want to just jump on the hate.

I'd have played Bravely Default if could bring myself to play RPGs on handhelds. After Valkyria Chronicles 2, I just felt so underwhelmed by how much is sacrificed in handheld games/RPGs over a console version. What's the point really, just for the story? That's always massively subjective. For instance I'd have gotten 999 too, but after seeing a mate play it, I couldn't care less about that series now.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@Crazyguy105 said:

You need to cool down with the threads. You aren't going to get any more popular.

That said, both games are great. One is old school while another tried and succeeded pretty well with the combat+time limit.

Well said. Lightening returns is so-so. It's ok and it's got it's quirks but it's fun ( to me nonetheless)

Glad to see a new IP doing so well though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Great news of course... just not sure if it'll change the thought process over at SE.

"Oh people didn't really like anything about FFXIII? It was one of the worst received games in the series? Let's make two direct sequels!... People don't like Lightning you say? **** that, she's the greatest character ever!" <--- Their mindset for an entire generation.

All the while leaving their fanbase starving for the resurrection of old IPs, or even the revisiting of FF titles they actually liked.

SE lives in their own universe. They don't seem to care about pleasing fans and it seems they're actually scared of making money.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I got Bravely Default but have yet to play it, still working on Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, but that's next on my list.

I'd still want to play Lightning Returns though, I actually enjoyed both the other FFXIII games, they weren't great but they were enjoyable; I think people have way too high expectations. I'll pick it up when it gets cheaper.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Good to see JRPG fans getting some sense.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

And call of duty outsells them both. See I can pick a random game and play that game also.

But really, it doesn't matter.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pffrbt

@Gargus said:

And call of duty outsells them both. See I can pick a random game and play that game also.

Call of Duty isn't a JRPG or made by Square so it isn't even relevant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Gargus said:

Your insecurities whenever someone or something not associated with Sony do well are very cute

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Good.

To Square, and JRPG developers in general...*ehem*

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TURN BASED BATTLE SYSTEMS. PEOPLE STILL LIKE THEM.. AND GENERALLY PREFER THEM TO ALL THE NONSENSE BROKEN BATTLESYSTEMS YOU HAVE TRIED TO REPLACE THEM WITH FOR THE PAST DECADE.

So PLEASE. Stop it.. Just stop.... With all the nonsense. Give us a solid battle system. It doesn't need to be anything weird or super different. Some minor tweaks to an ATB system is fine. Focus on story, setting, world, pacing, character design, level design, magic, leveling systems, jobs, classes.. etc. Work and focus on all that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#30 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@silversix_ said:

It's called "chibi"... "loli" is something completely different.

@Pffrbt said:

Reminds me of when I first played FFVII. I remember how incredible the artwork, CGI and environments looked... until I saw those "chibi" character models.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pffrbt

@Jag85 said:

Reminds me of when I first played FFVII. I remember how incredible the artwork, CGI and environments looked... until I saw those "chibi" character models.

I don't mind chibi character models, these ones are just really off-putting though.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

It's honestly a shame what SE has done to the FF franchise and 15 is looking to Butcher it even more. They keep trying all this crouching tiger jumping all over the place anime action game play and that's not what FF is about. Just stick to ATB or turn based for FF and try the other crap on new IP's. Look at pokemon, has been turn based since it started and is still loved and sells millions of copies like crazy. Anyways, can't wait to play bravely default, just waiting for a drought since I'm playing multiple different games right now. As for FF 13LR, I'll get that when it's in the bargain bin.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#34 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

C'mon Square, give me another Lightning game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_

@Jag85 said:

@silversix_ said:

It's called "chibi"... "loli" is something completely different.

ewwwwww chibi or loli it looks like shit, worst ever, my eyes are melting ewwwwwwwww.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I actually like that SE tries to reinvent FF, and I like it when devs change gameplay within a series, even if sometimes it is drastic. Sounds better than a series becoming NSMB levels of redundant and stake. that and I thought how SE reinvented the ATB in the original XIII was actually great.

that being said, I never really wanted a sequel to FFXIII, let alone 2, since really the battle system was really the only thing FFXIII had going for it in the gameplay department. I can kind of understand why they made a second game, what with FFXIII selling incredibly well between both the PS3 and 360 and being well-received by critics, though I do question them going as far as making a third game. They probably should have noticed the loss of interest in FFXIII-2, since if I recall correctly that game sold much worse in comparison, though maybe I'm wrong.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Just finished lightning returns last week, the entire game is just like a side quest of previous final fantasy games. Hopefully we'll get back on track with FFXV. Gonna pick up bravely default when im done with dark souls 2

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Having played both games I can safely say the better one has sold more. Bravely Default has scratched a Final Fantasy itch that none of the recent games main series games have. It's just a blast.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

As it should be. Bravely Default is actually good.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Sphire said:

Lightning Returns has a pretty damn good combat system. Shit story, but it's the only place I'll get a battle system like it, so I'll take it. At its best, the battle system is just, wow. Too bad people want to just jump on the hate.

I'd have played Bravely Default if could bring myself to play RPGs on handhelds. After Valkyria Chronicles 2, I just felt so underwhelmed by how much is sacrificed in handheld games/RPGs over a console version. What's the point really, just for the story? That's always massively subjective. For instance I'd have gotten 999 too, but after seeing a mate play it, I couldn't care less about that series now.

if all you care about is combat then play any Grandia or Shadow Hearts games. Both series have combat that is light years ahead of that shit and in overall the games are much better JRPG's too.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@Gargus said:

Your point?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

The entire FFXIII series was just one big cluster **** of poorly made JRPGs. Hopefully FFXV can redeem the FF franchise again but I doubt it. It looks kind of boring in all honesty.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I have no doubt that bravely default is a better made game, but I would rather play LR than bd. I cannot stand chibi characters and turned based is boring to me. I could handle turn based when I was younger, now it puts me to sleep. With that said I doubt I will ever play LR, I'll only play it if it's free on ps+, I wouldn't even spend $10 for it

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

BD character modles are freaking horrible. One of the reasons I stood away from it. Anywho I bought LR instead of BD.IM having a good time.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Lightning Returns is a mainline Final Fantasy game, with all the power of the brand, which is on multiple platforms, got a whole lot more advertising, and has shiny graphics and new gameplay systems and shit.

Maybe this will finally show Square Enix that what we want isn't more Lightning crap or bullshit re-invention of the series, but just the same old old school Final Fantasy games that made the brand so big in the first place.

SOURCE

Exactly.

**** Lightning. A boob job and a dress-up system isn't gonna make this unappealing and boring character any better.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I'll pick up Lightning Returns when it's cheaper.

BD is cool.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 silversix_

This is as bad looking as it gets, almost creepy, actually it is creepy...

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Wait what? is this mainly in the US? because according to NPD lighting Returns was #8 in the top chart while Bravely default was #10 so how on earth does that mean a number 10 beats number 8 again? if bravely default did 200K then Lighting returns did much higher than that.

im a little lost its either TC got too excited or didnt see the NPD top 10 yet

but yes 200k in a month is pretty nice i hope we seen it coming console wise but i'll wait till it gets cheaper.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

So far BD is great. Like a continuation of FFV.

lol at Lightning Returns.