Bloodborne Will Be Less Punishing To Attract Wider Audience

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

From Software is aiming for a wider audience with Bloodborne, the next game based on the Souls concept, but is mindful there can be no compromise in regards of the series’s difficulty-demanding following.

“You died a lot in the previous games, and you had to persevere, but one of our main goals with this game is that we don’t want to focus on punishing the player,” he said.

“We want to deliver a game that gamers love. If the gamer likes the game they’ll definitely like it enough to have that bit of perseverance, but the way in which we’re making the game? The sense of punishment is much less.”

Does that disappoint you? Well, they actually confront this issue head on-

“In terms of who the game is aimed at, and who we want to capture in terms of the audience, obviously we can’t betray or disappoint the fans out there,” said producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, speaking at gamescom today.

“They’re very, very important. They’ll be the main ambassadors of the game.”

But “we do want more people to share in this experience,” he admitted.

He also talks about how he hopes the new online functionality will help attract a bigger audience:

While he couldn’t expand on it, Yamagiwa said that Bloodborne’s “new online concept and experience… will capture a wider audience.”

And finally, the Gamescom showfloor demo, which has been reported as being notably easier than past Souls games, has apparently been tweaked to be easier (which makes sense from a showfloor perspective):

Yamagiwa warned that players testing Bloodborne at gamescom should not “get too disappointed that it’s too easy”: the public demo has been toned down in difficulty compared to the retail version as From wants players to experience the full demo.

So what do you all think about this?

Personally? I think that the messaging here is a bit confused (maybe because of a poor translation?). I mean, they say they want the game to appeal to a wider audience, they say they won't dumb down the difficulty, but then they say the game will be less punishing than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls? How will that work? Those two games, and especially Dark Souls, struck the perfect balance between high punishment and high reward, and that is what led to the feeling of accomplishment that so characterized progress in those titles. I'm not sure if potentially messing with that is a good idea.

Then again, these are the geniuses who gave us Demon's and Dark Souls to begin with. I think I can trust them to know what they are doing. They certainly have earned that much.

What do you all think?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

I think people will lose their shit over this.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#3 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

So they will make it easier enough to appeal to more people but not too easy because they don't want to disappoint the Souls fans. Seems reasonable.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Demon's Souls was perfect IMO, I don't know what to make of this, kind of sad to hear this really. I need to play the game to be sure but I don't like the way that "sounds".

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

BS they're trying to fix something that ain't broke, The people that they're trying to cater to now aren't going to buy their game anyway.

Loss of sale right here if they follow through.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

One think I don't understand is why they want a 'bigger audience.' Dark Souls sold 2 million units worldwide, isn't that good enough? I mean, it's not Skyrim, but hell, nothing is, and chasing those kinds of numbers can't be good for you (see also: CoD, and what it did to FPSs).

Of course, as for Bloodborne, I am more than willing to wait it out before starting an internet rampage against From. As I said before- these guys have the benefit of the doubt, they've earned at least as much.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the difficulty is one of the only things the Souls series got right. It would be nice if they focused on addressing the clunky, slow-paced gameplay.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

One think I don't understand is why they want a 'bigger audience.' Dark Souls sold 2 million units worldwide, isn't that good enough? I mean, it's not Skyrim, but hell, nothing is, and chasing those kinds of numbers can't be good for you (see also: CoD, and what it did to FPSs).

Of course, as for Bloodborne, I am more than willing to wait it out before starting an internet rampage against From. As I said before- these guys have the benefit of the doubt, they've earned at least as much.

the souls games weren't even hard at times just plain stupid. you go through some epic battles only to glitch fall off a ledge and start all over again.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think they should stick to Demon's Souls difficulty. Stay true to the base. Hardcore gamers look to them for this.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Well um, no reason to really expect any similiarties to the souls games, because this is a new IP (supposedly). Yes, it has the same animations, same gameplay, same everything, but if anything changes, you shouldn't be angry, it makes no sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shewgenja said:

I think they should stick to Demon's Souls difficulty. Stay true to the base. Hardcore gamers look to them for this.

This, but with Dark Souls instead of Demon's Souls lol. Dark Souls was perfect.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

They want the online to appeal to more people, sounds fine to me. I know a lot of people post on these forums saying they don't want to play online because it makes it harder with invasions and the world tendancy in Demons Souls made the game harder. Plus the game is more offense now and there's no sheilds, so you can't tank anymore.

As long as it's not dumbed down like the PC version of DS2 was when it launched, it's fine. I don't think that'll be a problem though.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I don't like the sound of this, but I couldn't imagine them dumbing down the difficulty much, especially when it was debuted Miyazaki said it will be tough as ever.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#14 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

LOLOLOLOLOL Dumbed down not the quality of Demons/Dark Souls confirmed LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Keep that easy shyte, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

(In truth, I think it can still be a great game)

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They sold out. A shame.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Hard =/= Punishing. Mega Man, Alien Solider, Contra Hard Corps, DoDonPachi, and so on, are hard games that take skill, but none of them waste your time. To me, it probably means the combat will be the same, but the consequences won't be as severe - By that I mean such as something akin to not losing all of your souls, or having to backtrack as much if you die.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shielder7
@charizard1605 said:

Whenever a game developer says the next game will appeal to a wider audience it's never good, you can't please everyone and when you try you please no one. The Translation of this is they're dumbing it down and hand walking you through it.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

They said the same thing about Dark Souls 2. It's all PR speak

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

if people want to keep dying then play it on hard mode or something. great news all round

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shielder7
@FoxbatAlpha said:

They sold out. A shame.

For once I agree with you......

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReadingRainbow4

@Desmonic said:

Hmm. I think we may need a better translation, but from that I'd say that they want it to make it as hard as usual but less punishing; ie a lesser penalty for dying. Perhaps more checkpoints, smaller penalties when in a "dead state", faster access to your body or something along those lines.

Also curious to see what they'll do with the online. The Demon Souls/Dark Souls online concept was pretty cool! More games could do similar things as far as I'm concerned.

Same, something seems lost in translation.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Or just make two levels of difficulty.

One that keeps the traditional sadistic difficult and another that appeals to the masses.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shielder7
@charizard1605 said:

@Shewgenja said:

No it wasn't Demon Souls was better, much better. Everyone had their own healing none of that Flask BS where the main member over used or under used them, The had a stealth system that wasn't over powered and Demons was more mage friendly with the mana bar.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

Hmm, exactly what I though they were doing when I told you. So I was correct.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Animal-Mother

Told yah...awwww yeahhhhh Day fucking 1 :D

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Shielder7 said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Shewgenja said:

No it wasn't Demon Souls was better, much better. Everyone had their own healing none of that Flask BS where the main member over used or under used them, The had a stealth system that wasn't over powered and Demons was more mage friendly with the mana bar.

magic was strong as hell in Demon souls, but DarkSouls had ridiculous pyro scaling.

There's always been an easy mode in every souls game, it just wasn't obvious. That's why when people ask for lower difficulty settings it makes me go "WTF, did we play the same games?"

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Masochists must be very dissapointed to play a good game for a change... :p

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

lol y? just alienated the fanbase

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I think people who want to brag to their friends how much more hardcore of a gamer they are for playing Demon's Souls or Dark Souls are going to be pissed.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

God forbid they incorporate the option to...*gasp* choose your difficulty. All they have to do is ask players if they want a veteran experience or a newcomer experience, split the online servers in two, and the problem is solved - they can now appeal to everyone. If they were genuinely interested in appealing to their fans, they would do something like this.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1560 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

While he couldn’t expand on it, Yamagiwa said that Bloodborne’s “new online concept and experience… will capture a wider audience.”

Maybe FromSoft is finally adding game invites would definitely make the game easier and as a veteran souls player myself i'd appreciate the time not wasted looking for my friends FromSoft servers aren't always reliable!

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

So basically it's going to be like Dark Souls 2, the superior game in the series.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I wonder if they realize that one of the elements that helped the Soul series to become so popular is that they were challenging. And these games weren't even that hard to begin with, is just that most people play them like brainless idiots. I found Yakuza 3 on hard to be way more challenging than the Souls series, and on very hard it was only worse.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Yeah I remember when Dark Souls was meant for a broader audience, and Dark Souls 2 was meant for a broader audience. Really ruined the satisfaction of those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Hard =/= Punishing. Mega Man, Alien Solider, Contra Hard Corps, DoDonPachi, and so on, are hard games that take skill, but none of them waste your time. To me, it probably means the combat will be the same, but the consequences won't be as severe - By that I mean such as something akin to not losing all of your souls, or having to backtrack as much if you die.

YES. This awesome gent gets it. And props on the Alien Soldier and Hard Corps namedrops, the Genesis is my favourite console ever.

Anyway, anyone freaking about this needs to calm the **** down - something like this has been said before Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, and the games were still the same difficulty as Demon's Souls. Even then, if they take out some of the silliness like losing all your souls, shitty hallway fights with multiple enemies from Dark Souls II, dwindling health bar for no reason, and other arbitrary "features" that just make the game more obtuse, I am perfectly okay with that. The game can be plenty difficult without hating the player.

marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By marinko123
Member since 2008 • 417 Posts

IMO the only punishment in souls games is having to backtrack through the level after dying 5 times on bosses because you need to learn their attack patterns. However, since you could just run through the level avoiding enemies, it was a nuisance at best and I hope they'll get rid of it/spawn you outside boss room after dying.

Other than that, loss of souls is not such a huge deal since they're farmable. There were always rings like cling ring to lessen hp loss in soul form/hollow form + abundance of effigies/stone of ephemereal eyes.

They should really focus on explaining things better to the players, the lack of explanation makes for some annoying difficulty, not challenging and fair difficulty. I shouldn't be required to look up wikis to get the best enjoyment out of the game and especially out of PvP. I wish normal enemies have better AI and are not as easily exploitable as they are. Also I wish for more boss fights like sinh from ds2 dlc or DeS maneater/flamelurker. Challenging, but fair. And well designed.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#38 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Nice. Might actually give this a chance if I can have fun with it without having to sacrifice my own life in order to get good at it.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Fun , challenging , and not too punishing you say ? Just when you thought the game couldn't sound any better .... it does. Day 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah I remember when Dark Souls was meant for a broader audience, and Dark Souls 2 was meant for a broader audience. Really ruined the satisfaction of those games.

Hey, like I said: I'm not the one who's worried :p

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Dark Souls 2 was pretty easy compared to the first two, minus a few parts. Will wait and see.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

They kinda have to,for as much love those games get they don´t sell anywhere near as much as you´d think,and from soft is on the business of making money.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ReadingRainbow4

@glez13 said:

So basically it's going to be like Dark Souls 2, the superior game in the series.

Darksouls 2 was shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Nanomage said:

They kinda have to,for as much love those games get they don´t sell anywhere near as much as you´d think,and from soft is on the business of making money.

@charizard1605 said:

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReadingRainbow4

@charizard1605 said:

@Nanomage said:

@charizard1605 said:

the moment every game aspires to be skyrim, is the second I kill this hobby of mine.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Nanomage said:

@charizard1605 said:

Maybe they'll have other difficulty levels our NG+ for those wanting more of a challenge.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Good

I don't mind a challenge, but making a game so difficult that it just pisses you off and frustrates the shit out of you is stupid. I play games to have fun, not grit my teeth, pull out my hair and break shit.

It seems like that was always the main point of emphasis when "Souls" fans would talk about the series.

Me: "So what's so great about this game?"

Them: "Well...it's just so hard dude! Like you just jumped in a time machine and went back to playing Super Ghouls N Ghosts! It doesn't even have a pause button, man! Have to answer the phone? Have to take a piss? Kid crying in the other room? Tough shit buddy!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ReadingRainbow4: Same. I mean, I adore Skyrim, but that's precisely because it's one of a kind.

@Heil68: Dark Souls already had a New game Plus, though. Difficulty levels sounds like a good idea, until you realize that the reason Dark Souls works is because the entire game is tuned and balanced to the existing difficulty level and enemies. Having two difficulty levels could potentially compromise that.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Nanomage said:

@charizard1605 said:

Dark Souls only sold 2M copies worldwide? I´d say it´s probably around 3M,but more interesting is to see that around 1.4M people have Dark Souls on steam,according to that ars technica article,if we go by these numbers then it´s either the best selling version of the game or close. Interesting.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

There was satisfaction in those games?