Bloodborne Will Be Less Punishing To Attract Wider Audience

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
@Aljosa23 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Hard =/= Punishing. Mega Man, Alien Solider, Contra Hard Corps, DoDonPachi, and so on, are hard games that take skill, but none of them waste your time. To me, it probably means the combat will be the same, but the consequences won't be as severe - By that I mean such as something akin to not losing all of your souls, or having to backtrack as much if you die.

YES. This awesome gent gets it. And props on the Alien Soldier and Hard Corps namedrops, the Genesis is my favourite console ever.

Anyway, anyone freaking about this needs to calm the **** down - something like this has been said before Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, and the games were still the same difficulty as Demon's Souls. Even then, if they take out some of the silliness like losing all your souls, shitty hallway fights with multiple enemies from Dark Souls II, dwindling health bar for no reason, and other arbitrary "features" that just make the game more obtuse, I am perfectly okay with that. The game can be plenty difficult without hating the player.

Fo sho, my Genesis master race brethren. The uneducated souls fanboys will forever confuse dickery with difficulty, but we know better. Games like Alien Soldier, now those take actual skill.

Agreed, we've heard this one before, and even if they actually do turn down the punishment, I think that's only a good thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#52 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Nanomage said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Nanomage said:

They kinda have to,for as much love those games get they don´t sell anywhere near as much as you´d think,and from soft is on the business of making money.

@charizard1605 said:

One think I don't understand is why they want a 'bigger audience.' Dark Souls sold 2 million units worldwide, isn't that good enough? I mean, it's not Skyrim, but hell, nothing is, and chasing those kinds of numbers can't be good for you (see also: CoD, and what it did to FPSs).

Of course, as for Bloodborne, I am more than willing to wait it out before starting an internet rampage against From. As I said before- these guys have the benefit of the doubt, they've earned at least as much.

Dark Souls only sold 2M copies worldwide? I´d say it´s probably around 3M,but more interesting is to see that around 1.4M people have Dark Souls on steam,according to that ars technica article,if we go by these numbers then it´s either the best selling version of the game or close. Interesting.

Ah, no, these numbers don't even consider the sales of the PC version, since we never got them. So it's actually over 3 million worldwide, which is even better.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah I remember when Dark Souls was meant for a broader audience, and Dark Souls 2 was meant for a broader audience. Really ruined the satisfaction of those games.

There was satisfaction in those games?

Yeah, unlike Elder Scrolls fighting something in a Souls game is actually enjoyable, and every dungeon/explorable area isn't "oh look, you built your character this way, so all of our caves are going to be ice guys now, because **** level design, we procedural".

That's why Souls games are satisfying they actually have gameplay.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Don't care, just want more from these devs. I love the difficulty of Demon/Dark Souls, but I love the atmosphere way more.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This may be or may not be a good thing. I'll wait and see how it turns out when the game releases. One thing I could really use for the PS4 is more competent games so I have to hope they don't flubb it up. From does have a pretty darn good track record so far so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like we're dealing with EA or Activision here (the lowest common denominators).

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#56  Edited By 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

Good

I don't mind a challenge, but making a game so difficult that it just pisses you off and frustrates the shit out of you is stupid. I play games to have fun, not grit my teeth, pull out my hair and break shit.

It seems like that was always the main point of emphasis when "Souls" fans would talk about the series.

Me: "So what's so great about this game?"

Them: "Well...it's just so hard dude! Like you just jumped in a time machine and went back to playing Super Ghouls N Ghosts! It doesn't even have a pause button, man! Have to answer the phone? Have to take a piss? Kid crying in the other room? Tough shit buddy!"

Pretty much. Don't know the life situation of the average self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer" is but the last thing I need after a day at work is a game that pisses me off and/or stresses me out. Sure it can be cool if you have all the time and energy in the world to get good at it but meh. At least offer a lower difficulty setting.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#57  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I just want the game to let me win.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

Well um, no reason to really expect any similiarties to the souls games, because this is a new IP (supposedly). Yes, it has the same animations, same gameplay, same everything, but if anything changes, you shouldn't be angry, it makes no sense.

My thoughts exactly. It's not Demon Souls or Dark Souls or any Souls game at all. It's a new IP called Bloodborne. They can do whatever they want with it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Wat r u? Casul?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I think they said the exact same phrase when they were developing Dark Souls 2... and that game hit a sweet spot between firm and fair.... so I dunno.

And I am not trying to rag on you mems... but your comments show a dislike for most games discussed throughout this forum, across a wide range of genres. But to each his own.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I think they should stick to Demon's Souls difficulty. Stay true to the base. Hardcore gamers look to them for this.

Demons Souls was waaaaaaay too easy though. Stick to Dark Souls difficulty.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

I'm fine with that, I don't have the same amount of time to game now so this is good for me. I really got into Demons and Dark Souls 1, I spent a lot of times on those games and finished both, but with reduced time to game I could not get into DK2.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

didnt they say that about the other games too?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@cdragon_88 said:

@parkurtommo said:

Well um, no reason to really expect any similiarties to the souls games, because this is a new IP (supposedly). Yes, it has the same animations, same gameplay, same everything, but if anything changes, you shouldn't be angry, it makes no sense.

My thoughts exactly. It's not Demon Souls or Dark Souls or any Souls game at all. It's a new IP called Bloodborne. They can do whatever they want with it.

Yes it is it's the same as Demon was to Dark.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah, unlike Elder Scrolls fighting something in a Souls game is actually enjoyable, and every dungeon/explorable area isn't "oh look, you built your character this way, so all of our caves are going to be ice guys now, because **** level design, we procedural".

That's why Souls games are satisfying they actually have gameplay.

Yeah, that was so redicilous and made getting resistances pointless, unless it was resist all. One of the many reasons if one chooses to play Skyrim, they should do so with Requiem, because it actually fixes 90% of Todd's awful design, making the game not completely awful.

In requiem you actually see mages and dragons use more than one element.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@001011000101101 said:

@Zelda187 said:

Good

I don't mind a challenge, but making a game so difficult that it just pisses you off and frustrates the shit out of you is stupid. I play games to have fun, not grit my teeth, pull out my hair and break shit.

It seems like that was always the main point of emphasis when "Souls" fans would talk about the series.

Them: "Well...it's just so hard dude! Like you just jumped in a time machine and went back to playing Super Ghouls N Ghosts! It doesn't even have a pause button, man! Have to answer the phone? Have to take a piss? Kid crying in the other room? Tough shit buddy!"

Pretty much. Don't know the life situation of the average self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer" is but the last thing I need after a day at work is a game that pisses me off and/or stresses me out. Sure it can be cool if you have all the time and energy in the world to get good at it but meh. At least offer a lower difficulty setting.

I really like difficult games. They have to be fun, though. Souls didn't fit that criteria.

Stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe, Super Meat Boy, DKCR, the last couple levels of Super Mario 3D World, etc are very difficult, but they are still fun even when you don't succeed, and you feel like you really accomplished something when you finish them. I never really felt that with Demon's Souls. It was more a feeling of "when does this game get good?" followed by "OMFG i just got blasted by a fireball and now if I want to keep playing I have to slog through that half hour of easy enemies again, only with half of my life bar, and I have to get all the way through the level to get the other half of that back."

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I think people who want to brag to their friends how much more hardcore of a gamer they are for playing Demon's Souls or Dark Souls are going to be pissed.

All of thiiiiis.^ I always get the impression people play it because it's difficult, not because it's a good game. Does a game being difficult make it good? I don't think so.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Honestly, Demon's/Dark Souls had more to them than just "difficulty". They were'nt even particularly hard once you hit the stride.

I think you guys are brewing a storm in a glass of water, but I'm sure the hatred for Bloodborne will be immense.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#70 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@001011000101101 said:

@Zelda187 said:

Good

I really like difficult games. They have to be fun, though. Souls didn't fit that criteria.

Stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe, Super Meat Boy, DKCR, the last couple levels of Super Mario 3D World, etc are very difficult, but they are still fun even when you don't succeed, and you feel like you really accomplished something when you finish them. I never really felt that with Demon's Souls. It was more a feeling of "when does this game get good?" followed by "OMFG i just got blasted by a fireball and now if I want to keep playing I have to slog through that half hour of easy enemies again, only with half of my life bar, and I have to get all the way through the level to get the other half of that back."

That pretty much summarizes my experience with Demons' Souls. I kept playing that game expecting it to be, well, fun, and it never got there. It felt really repetitive and the combat bored me. I especially hated the no-pausing thing. I just don't get the appeal of these games.

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

@charizard1605: that's true, but you're not considering that, that was across 3 platforms with HUGE install bases rather than being a PS4 exclusive. FromSoft making it more accessible than Dark Souls because it's a new IP isn't really that surprising because it's unlikely that a game in the same vein of Dark Souls in terms of difficulty will reach 3 million units on one platform with a small install base.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

To be fair it is a different game. It's not Demon or Dark Souls so if FS wants it to be easier then their souls games then that's their choice. Hopefully they don't make it too easy but like I said it's still a new IP from them so whatever.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Wouldn't an optional traditional checkpoint mode solve the issues? Or an option to keep all your souls when you die be enough?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Cranler said:

Wouldn't an optional traditional checkpoint mode solve the issues? Or an option to keep all your souls when you die be enough?

That may very well be what happens. All I read was that they want it to be more accessable and they said the same thing about DS (pick one) ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Cranler said:

This I could maybe live with.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

If its a good game, who cares? You guys want hardcore, go run a marathon or play competitive chess. Learn the violin. Write a book. Figure out cold fusion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@clone01 said:

If its a good game, who cares? You guys want hardcore, go run a marathon or play competitive chess. Learn the violin. Write a book. Figure out cold fusion.

I've done four of these. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play a violin.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@clone01 said:

I've done four of these. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play a violin.

I've got guitar. Violin seems impossible to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@clone01 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@clone01 said:

I think no one really knows how to play the violin, it's all just an elaborate ruse involving hypnosis and Snickers bars.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@clone01 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@clone01 said:

I think no one really knows how to play the violin, it's all just an elaborate ruse involving hypnosis and Snickers bars.

Whoa! That's my kind of instrument!

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

If it was Dark Souls 3 then you'd have a case but Bloodborne is a whole new game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

Whoa! That's my kind of instrument!

So you're saying you're in on this conspiracy, is that it? >.>

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I remember them saying the same crap about Dark Souls 2, yea I don't believe them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Kjranu said:

If it was Dark Souls 3 then you'd have a case but Bloodborne is a whole new game.

What would I have a case for?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#85  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Was there another point to playing the Soul's games, other than the difficulty? It's not like there was a story or anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@coasterguy65 said:

Was there another point to playing the Soul's games, other than the difficulty? It's not like there was a story or anything.

The pitch perfect game design?

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

Play them and you'll understand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@getyeryayasout said:

I'll keep that in mind while this game repeatedly hands me my ass. Can't wait!

And then feel bad about yourself? :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@getyeryayasout said:

@charizard1605: ...but in a good way! :P

Really? Dark Souls just makes me feel worthless and inadequate ;__;

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i knew this day would come

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@getyeryayasout: Hell yeah, bro, I definitely agree. As I said earlier: pitch perfect game design :)

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I mean, they say they want the game to appeal to a wider audience, they say they won't dumb down the difficulty, but then they say the game will be less punishing than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls? How will that work?

Well, they could just mean they're attempting to make the game more accessible. I don't think the difficulty is what's holding the game back (it's pretty much the game's selling point). Rather, I think it is just that many people are forced into taking risks in regards to upgrades as well as where they hell they should go, unless they consult online guides (which I have done for each game in the series).

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Good. I suck ass at the Souls games. I'm fine with the difficulty, but starting all over was frustrating. A check point system would be welcomed.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts
@AcidTango said:

To be fair it is a different game. It's not Demon or Dark Souls so if FS wants it to be easier then their souls games then that's their choice. Hopefully they don't make it too easy but like I said it's still a new IP from them so whatever.

Ok never mind I just found out that it will have health regeneration. I thought by easy they meant that your character wouldn't die very easy or that the enemies aren't much harder as they were in the Souls games but nope they had to do the health regenerations crap like in those modern fps garbage. That sucks.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Theres nothing worse then a cow who thinks he is Hardcore because He beat a Broken game.

You can't reason with these people, they're so starved for a challenge that they latch on to From Software like its the Hardest Game ever....