BioWare: "calling the next game Mass Effect 4 is a disservice"

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#101 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"] if that's how they interpret the ending then so be it. bioware was talking about how great the ending was before release and then like bad salesmen they can suddenly feel they didn't communicate it well? it was for appeasement.

No they weren't....in fact, they admitted that it would divide fans and that some would hate it. And yet, once again, they didn't try to appease everyone. They stuck with their guns. Really most ending haters wanted the Catalyst gone and removed entirely, however, Bioware EXPANDED his role. Nevermind the "Refuse" ending was kind of a middle finger to many of the whiners as well.

here is casey hudson hyping the ending as "amazing" and "very definitive." here he comes off as very proud of it as well.

if they really wanted to stick with their guns, they would have left it as it was. some people would have liked it and some wouldn't have, but that would have been fine. some people like the new ending and that's fine too. but honestly, i don't like the idea of going back and changing (or "expanding") a major part of the game because fans complained. and let's say for second that bioware did make changes just to tell off a few people. that's cutting off the nose to spite the face.

i'm actually one of gamers that didn't like the game (not for the ending, but it's a long story. ask if you care). however, i wouldn't want bioware to go back and start throwing stuff in until i shut up. it's because i don't want to order a game. i want to try one. gaming is much more exciting when i could potentially play something that's so good i never knew i wanted it.

and yet, this is before the leak happening...to which Bioware said that they would change parts of the story due to it. Many scenes were actually RESTORED in the extended cut. The low EMS sequence of the squad dying by Harbinger is one of them. The gates not being destroyed is also another. Nevermind also once again, the writers also say new oppurtunities and they too, wanted to work on it. This epecially if the Weekes story is true and the writers were shut out. And once again, Bioware wasn't even the first to do this last year...The Witcher 2 also added to and fixed the ending due to complaints, nevermind expanding and adding to Act III. The entire ending fix even alters peoples views of the final choice to rescue Triss or help their ally. So you are saying companies shouldn't improve their games? Hell, CDP changed and improved the entire script of the first Witcher game due to complaints.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#102 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] No they weren't....in fact, they admitted that it would divide fans and that some would hate it. And yet, once again, they didn't try to appease everyone. They stuck with their guns. Really most ending haters wanted the Catalyst gone and removed entirely, however, Bioware EXPANDED his role. Nevermind the "Refuse" ending was kind of a middle finger to many of the whiners as well.

here is casey hudson hyping the ending as "amazing" and "very definitive." here he comes off as very proud of it as well.

if they really wanted to stick with their guns, they would have left it as it was. some people would have liked it and some wouldn't have, but that would have been fine. some people like the new ending and that's fine too. but honestly, i don't like the idea of going back and changing (or "expanding") a major part of the game because fans complained. and let's say for second that bioware did make changes just to tell off a few people. that's cutting off the nose to spite the face.

i'm actually one of gamers that didn't like the game (not for the ending, but it's a long story. ask if you care). however, i wouldn't want bioware to go back and start throwing stuff in until i shut up. it's because i don't want to order a game. i want to try one. gaming is much more exciting when i could potentially play something that's so good i never knew i wanted it.

and yet, this is before the leak happening...to which Bioware said that they would change parts of the story due to it. Many scenes were actually RESTORED in the extended cut. The low EMS sequence of the squad dying by Harbinger is one of them. The gates not being destroyed is also another. Nevermind also once again, the writers also say new oppurtunities and they too, wanted to work on it. This epecially if the Weekes story is true and the writers were shut out. And once again, Bioware wasn't even the first to do this last year...The Witcher 2 also added to and fixed the ending due to complaints, nevermind expanding and adding to Act III. The entire ending fix even alters peoples views of the final choice to rescue Triss or help their ally. So you are saying companies shouldn't improve their games? Hell, CDP changed and improved the entire script of the first Witcher game due to complaints.

i'm saying developers shouldn't listen to gamer feedback and then go back into the writing room. you've already admitted that bioware put stuff in as a reaction to fans including the "refuse" ending. whether they caved in to whining fans, added in content to spite them, or a combination of the two, it cheapens the whole thing.

what does the witcher have to do with anything? i never played the game and made no comment on it. if that developer changed their ending(s) to suit fans, then it doesn't magically make what bioware did more palatable to me.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="padaporra"]

I cannot comprehend how anyone can say ME1 is better than ME2. And after I saw people defending ME1's DLC, I just gave up any effort to. 

blue_hazy_basic

Yeah...ME1 is pretty much overrated by the fanbase. Nevermind Pinnacle Station is terrible. Pretending to be an action game but featuring hit or miss dice rolls is a frusterating no no. ME1 has by far the worst character development in the series, so bad that they had more development in between ME1 and ME2 than in ME1 itself. Wrex is the only character in ME1 to get real character development. Tali gets abssolutely no development at all. Hell, I forgot she was on the ship. ME1's plot was also pretty contrived, more so than ME3. Its quite funny how the idiot fanbase accuses ME3 of reliance on contrivance when ME1 is way worse. With Vigil actually being a Deus Ex Machina played staright. ME3 is actually strongest of the series...it has both a focused plotline than ME2 lacked, while having major character development that ME1 lacked. its that fans are too stupid to realize this while complaining about the already fixed ending they don't get.

My brian joost gat damiged.

texas posts can do that to anyone who actually read his nonsense.

JMR09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 JMR09
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

Mass Effect 2 + the loot system from Mass Effect 1 (except the horrible way they handled a full inventory) = a very pleasant experience.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

i'm saying developers shouldn't listen to gamer feedback and then go back into the writing room. you've already admitted that bioware put stuff in as a reaction to fans including the "refuse" ending. whether they caved in to whining fans, added in content to spite them, or a combination of the two, it cheapens the whole thing.

what does the witcher have to do with anything? i never played the game and made no comment on it. if that developer changed their ending(s) to suit fans, then it doesn't magically make what bioware did more palatable to me.

Because CDP was in the same boat as Bioware...and also it matters because Bioware may have taking hints from CDP. Gamer feedback also brought the first female turian in the series as well. Bioware did it right, listened to the fans but not be in slave of them by doing everything they ask for. They did not cHANGE the ending, just expanded it. Once again, most of the whiners hated the starchild...and once again, he is not only still in, he is expanded in his characterization.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 texasgoldrush

Mass Effect 2 + the loot system from Mass Effect 1 (except the horrible way they handled a full inventory) = a very pleasant experience.

JMR09
No the loot system was atrocious. ME3 did it right....as much as people hail ME1 for being an RPG, its quite funny, ME3 has more combat options and more customization options, and MUCH better weapon variety. Hell, it has much better power customization than ME1. ME1's RPG elements were shallow and distracting...and very unnecessary.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Yeah...ME1 is pretty much overrated by the fanbase. Nevermind Pinnacle Station is terrible. Pretending to be an action game but featuring hit or miss dice rolls is a frusterating no no. ME1 has by far the worst character development in the series, so bad that they had more development in between ME1 and ME2 than in ME1 itself. Wrex is the only character in ME1 to get real character development. Tali gets abssolutely no development at all. Hell, I forgot she was on the ship. ME1's plot was also pretty contrived, more so than ME3. Its quite funny how the idiot fanbase accuses ME3 of reliance on contrivance when ME1 is way worse. With Vigil actually being a Deus Ex Machina played staright. ME3 is actually strongest of the series...it has both a focused plotline than ME2 lacked, while having major character development that ME1 lacked. its that fans are too stupid to realize this while complaining about the already fixed ending they don't get.Krelian-co

My brian joost gat damiged.

If it is all nonsense, what was Pinnacle Stations criticial reception? Where is the character development in ME1, other than Wrex? Why was there so much character development in between ME1 and ME2, especially Liara, Tali, and Garrus than in ME1? What is Tali's character arc in ME1 other than being a talking codex on quarians? Face facts, face reality, ME3 has both the focused plotline of ME1 and the character development of ME2, nevermind the characters actually having relationships and banter with eachother that the first two games didn't have. And the fact is gamers have to go out of their way and actually lie about ME3 so they can bash it because EA is the devil and Bioware didn't follow the old school formula, so that makes them bad.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#108 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and yet, this is before the leak happening...to which Bioware said that they would change parts of the story due to it. Many scenes were actually RESTORED in the extended cut. The low EMS sequence of the squad dying by Harbinger is one of them. The gates not being destroyed is also another. Nevermind also once again, the writers also say new oppurtunities and they too, wanted to work on it. This epecially if the Weekes story is true and the writers were shut out. And once again, Bioware wasn't even the first to do this last year...The Witcher 2 also added to and fixed the ending due to complaints, nevermind expanding and adding to Act III. The entire ending fix even alters peoples views of the final choice to rescue Triss or help their ally. So you are saying companies shouldn't improve their games? Hell, CDP changed and improved the entire script of the first Witcher game due to complaints.

Because CDP was in the same boat as Bioware...and also it matters because Bioware may have taking hints from CDP. Gamer feedback also brought the first female turian in the series as well. Bioware did it right, listened to the fans but not be in slave of them by doing everything they ask for. They did not cHANGE the ending, just expanded it. Once again, most of the whiners hated the starchild...and once again, he is not only still in, he is expanded in his characterization.

CDP is completely irrelevant in this. nobody is questioning where bioware got the idea or who is in the same boat.

whether or not bioware managed to squeeze in everything people complained about is irrelevant too. no developer would do that because it would be like making an entirely new game. it doesn't matter whether bioware's thought process was "well, people didn't like the starchild so get rid of it. people thought the placement of the tree at the end was weird so lets get rid of that too" or "people didn't get the ending so let's go back to the code and explain it in there." it's a matter of standing up for the finished game.

the ending isn't just what was told, but how it was told. if the original intent of the ending was to cause discussion, then leave the game in a state where it can still cause discussion. clarifying further imposes a single interpretation. that is a change and it was spurred by fans. by your own admission, the "refuse" ending was made to spite whiners. that is also a change because clearly bioware didn't make ME3 to spite anyone.

if you're fine with that, then go ahead and keep playing bioware games. i hope you enjoy them.

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
Microtransaction Effectjessejay420
hehe i like this, you nailed it.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#110 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

If it is all nonsense, what was Pinnacle Stations criticial reception? Where is the character development in ME1, other than Wrex? Why was there so much character development in between ME1 and ME2, especially Liara, Tali, and Garrus than in ME1? What is Tali's character arc in ME1 other than being a talking codex on quarians? Face facts, face reality, ME3 has both the focused plotline of ME1 and the character development of ME2, nevermind the characters actually having relationships and banter with eachother that the first two games didn't have. And the fact is gamers have to go out of their way and actually lie about ME3 so they can bash it because EA is the devil and Bioware didn't follow the old school formula, so that makes them bad.texasgoldrush
I agree about the characters interacting. More games need to have stuff like that. Also completely unrelated: What are you hoping the next Mass Effect game will be about?

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Considering how jumbled up and incohesive ME3's ending was, I'm wondering how the ME universe is going to be like after.

In any case, I'm excited for this game, I don't see why everybody hates the series, if you think its not rpg enough, then play it like a 3rd person shooter. Rpg mechanics were never Mass Effects strong points anyways, not even in the first game. Saying that I do want an inventory again, Bioware make it happen!

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Goodness some of you are crybabies, the series was amazing and people are still complaining about it (specifically the ME3 ending). This thread isn't about ME 1, 2, or 3. Its about the future of Mass Effect.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Hope they finally can realize the potential that the Mass Effect concept has

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
Goodness some of you are crybabies, the series was amazing and people are still complaining about it (specifically the ME3 ending). This thread isn't about ME 1, 2, or 3. Its about the future of Mass Effect.Granny_Spanked
And future of Mass Effect depends on ME3 ending :p one thing for sure, they can go above time line of ME3 enging, or else they will choose one of endings as valid, any of them got huge potential for continuetion.
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#115 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

I guess this is their way of rebranding their IP.

JMR09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 JMR09
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

[QUOTE="JMR09"]

texasgoldrush

No the loot system was atrocious. ME3 did it right....as much as people hail ME1 for being an RPG, its quite funny, ME3 has more combat options and more customization options, and MUCH better weapon variety. Hell, it has much better power customization than ME1. ME1's RPG elements were shallow and distracting...and very unnecessary.

See, I have yet to play Mass Effect 3. But what I meant was that I enjoyed collecting the various equipment and whatnot from enemies in the first game, which was completely scrapped in the second. Yeah, the way the inventory was handled in Mass Effect 1 was pretty much awful, but they could have streamlined it to make it a much less clunky experience without getting rid of it completely.

Again, I haven't played Mass Effect 3 so I can't comment on how it handles things.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] My brian joost gat damiged.texasgoldrush

If it is all nonsense, what was Pinnacle Stations criticial reception? Where is the character development in ME1, other than Wrex? Why was there so much character development in between ME1 and ME2, especially Liara, Tali, and Garrus than in ME1? What is Tali's character arc in ME1 other than being a talking codex on quarians? Face facts, face reality, ME3 has both the focused plotline of ME1 and the character development of ME2, nevermind the characters actually having relationships and banter with eachother that the first two games didn't have. And the fact is gamers have to go out of their way and actually lie about ME3 so they can bash it because EA is the devil and Bioware didn't follow the old school formula, so that makes them bad.

You didn't actually say anything, you just spurted out nonsense about ME2 having better character development with no evidence to back your argument up. Why should you expect any one else to try to bring a counter argument with any? There was plenty of character developement in ME it just wan't as in your face, you didn't have to get the loyalty of your crew members. But it did take more effort since you to bring them with you, listen to their banter, and talk to them in between missions. The characters do get more face time in the sequels though. But that doesn't make the story any less in ME one. I remember ME fondly and being better than ME2/3 and I also remember it being a Plot driven story, not really a character driven one.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

savagetwinkie

You didn't actually say anything, you just spurted out nonsense about ME2 having better character development with no evidence to back your argument up. Why should you expect any one else to try to bring a counter argument with any? There was plenty of character developement in ME it just wan't as in your face, you didn't have to get the loyalty of your crew members. But it did take more effort since you to bring them with you, listen to their banter, and talk to them in between missions. The characters do get more face time in the sequels though. But that doesn't make the story any less in ME one. I remember ME fondly and being better than ME2/3 and I also remember it being a Plot driven story, not really a character driven one.

Wrong. In ME2, the character development is SHOWN, not TOLD.....This is the problem with Bioware before recently....any character development is TOLD TO YOU, not SHOWN. You never see the characters struggle in old Bioware games, all you did was persuade them to your line of thinking. No, other than Wrex, because of Virmire, there was very little to NO character development. I wonder why Wrex was the most popular ME1 character. All you did in ME1 is listen to their stories as they open up throughout the game, a typical Bioware staple that needed to die. There was no character growth, there was no character crisis (outside of Wrex and maybe Ashley on Virmire), they are mostly static characters. And once again, Tali is nothing more than a talking codex on quarians...thats all she was. It took ME2 to develop her, and make her the breakout character she is now. And really look at the huge leap in development between ME1 and ME2 for Wrex, Liara, and Garrus. And guess what? ME3 manages to be BOTH a character driven story AND a plot driven one. And thats why, its the best.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Calling themselves Bioware is a disservice to the Bioware name.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] If it is all nonsense, what was Pinnacle Stations criticial reception? Where is the character development in ME1, other than Wrex? Why was there so much character development in between ME1 and ME2, especially Liara, Tali, and Garrus than in ME1? What is Tali's character arc in ME1 other than being a talking codex on quarians? Face facts, face reality, ME3 has both the focused plotline of ME1 and the character development of ME2, nevermind the characters actually having relationships and banter with eachother that the first two games didn't have. And the fact is gamers have to go out of their way and actually lie about ME3 so they can bash it because EA is the devil and Bioware didn't follow the old school formula, so that makes them bad.cain006

I agree about the characters interacting. More games need to have stuff like that. Also completely unrelated: What are you hoping the next Mass Effect game will be about?

More about science, and exploration, and a more personal story...less about war with an unstoppable force. A scientist protagonist would be awesome, although one that can fight...like Mordin.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#121 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

themajormayor
As an MMORPG? [spoiler] sarcasm [/spoiler]
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] If it is all nonsense, what was Pinnacle Stations criticial reception? Where is the character development in ME1, other than Wrex? Why was there so much character development in between ME1 and ME2, especially Liara, Tali, and Garrus than in ME1? What is Tali's character arc in ME1 other than being a talking codex on quarians? Face facts, face reality, ME3 has both the focused plotline of ME1 and the character development of ME2, nevermind the characters actually having relationships and banter with eachother that the first two games didn't have. And the fact is gamers have to go out of their way and actually lie about ME3 so they can bash it because EA is the devil and Bioware didn't follow the old school formula, so that makes them bad.

Wrong. In ME2, the character development is SHOWN, not TOLD.....This is the problem with Bioware before recently....any character development is TOLD TO YOU, not SHOWN. You never see the characters struggle in old Bioware games, all you did was persuade them to your line of thinking. No, other than Wrex, because of Virmire, there was very little to NO character development. I wonder why Wrex was the most popular ME1 character. All you did in ME1 is listen to their stories as they open up throughout the game, a typical Bioware staple that needed to die. There was no character growth, there was no character crisis (outside of Wrex and maybe Ashley on Virmire), they are mostly static characters. And once again, Tali is nothing more than a talking codex on quarians...thats all she was. It took ME2 to develop her, and make her the breakout character she is now. And really look at the huge leap in development between ME1 and ME2 for Wrex, Liara, and Garrus. And guess what? ME3 manages to be BOTH a character driven story AND a plot driven one. And thats why, its the best.

So give some examples of them showing us the character development, from what i remember about me2 there was 0 real character development. Their missions just fleshed out more back story and the only real the development the characters had were loyalty.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]Goodness some of you are crybabies, the series was amazing and people are still complaining about it (specifically the ME3 ending). This thread isn't about ME 1, 2, or 3. Its about the future of Mass Effect.ShadowriverUB
And future of Mass Effect depends on ME3 ending :p one thing for sure, they can go above time line of ME3 enging, or else they will choose one of endings as valid, any of them got huge potential for continuetion.

The universe is so big, and so full of possible ways to go with series. They can make a game that has absolutely nothing to do with the ME3, and I fully expect them to do that.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

So was Mass Effect 3, lol.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] You didn't actually say anything, you just spurted out nonsense about ME2 having better character development with no evidence to back your argument up. Why should you expect any one else to try to bring a counter argument with any? There was plenty of character developement in ME it just wan't as in your face, you didn't have to get the loyalty of your crew members. But it did take more effort since you to bring them with you, listen to their banter, and talk to them in between missions. The characters do get more face time in the sequels though. But that doesn't make the story any less in ME one. I remember ME fondly and being better than ME2/3 and I also remember it being a Plot driven story, not really a character driven one.

So give some examples of them showing us the character development, from what i remember about me2 there was 0 real character development. Their missions just fleshed out more back story and the only real the development the characters had were loyalty.

Wow The entire loyalty missions were character development in ME2, and so were the romances. Look at Jacks story arc, especially her romance arc. It seems you haven't played ME2. Hell Liara gets more character development as a side quest NPC in ME2 than she does as a party member in ME1. And ME3 is even more significant because plot events develop the characters.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

themajormayor

i doubt so, under EA they won't let them make a proper game with the full potential of the lore and background of the series, more like another mediocre product that will sell anyway