Better exotic adventure game: Far Cry 3 or Uncharted games?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Better exotic adventure game: Far Cry 3 or Uncharted games? (85 votes)

Far Cry 3 56%
Uncharted games 44%

My friends (and I use this expression genuinely and amicably), I've been playing Far Cry 3 lately and came to the conclusion that it's inevitable these two games be pitted against each other.

I hope you will find this comparison more or less logical and not irrational, even if these games represent two different perspectives (FPP vs TPP) and different structure (open-world vs. linear).

By Uncharted games, I mean all the games in the series, but as far as Far Cry is concerned, I think it is most fitting to pick the third installment).

I am not the most qualified person to judge these games, as I've only played the first Uncharted.

Which of these games excel at making you a part of an exciting adventure more?

I think Far Cry 3 might not be as tight and focused as Uncharted games but it has a lot more lasting appeal and variety. What is more, it provides a lot more control to the player. Moreover, its achievement structure doesn't force you to use any particular gameplay style, like for example Deus Ex: Human Revolution forced you to bo stealthy, so you can play any way you like, at any point - you can liberate Outposts stealthily but then you can blast the shit up using heavy weapons. Crafting is immensely satisfying and liberating Outposts and taking over the Radio Towers gives a sense of gradual fullfilment, coupled with some really naturalistic placement of Relics that you can collect, and explore some off-the-beaten track caves and temples leaves you in awe of the locale. Of course, the game might get a bit repetitive over time once you've unlocked most of the gear, but when there is still a lot of stuff to unlock, the game's at its most satisfying.

On the other hand, Uncharted's tightly scripted sequences might have seem bombastic at the time, but IMO their charm faded really quickly as this kind of gameplay has quickly become a cliche. Uncharted games feature really long pointless "movie-like" fragments with unnecessary amount of walking, plus scripted automated jumping fragments. This kind of gameplay is not exciting at all from the viewpoint of a gamer AD 2014, and in fact, is quite archaic if you ask me.

So, for me, Far Cry 3 wins. Not that I dislike games with cinematic flair or would prefer an open-world game over a linear one all the time, as I really liked 2013's Tomb Raider (however with some caveats as well).

Anyway, if you were to compare the games in terms of:

• graphics
  • animation
  • environments
  • gunplay
  • gameplay and variety
  • sense of exploration and fullfilment

What game would emerge as a winner?

• 
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#51 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24937 Posts

Far cry 3 was good game. not great or amazing but good. then ubisoft decide to assassins creedized the franchise thus we got garbage like FC4 and primal. more will be next.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

I only ever enjoyed the original Far Cry. The rest I played were felt more like a chore so based on that Far Cry.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#53 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24937 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

I only ever enjoyed the original Far Cry.

it was only good for first part. then trigeons came the worst enemy of all time. game become trash. second half of game is so bad that even overshadow the good parts of game.

Crytek hugely improved over Crysis 1.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#54  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19570 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

There is no "adventure" in the Uncharted games. You follow the path the game sets before you.

In Far Cry 3 (and 2, Blood Dragon and 4), you play the game at your own pace, and do what you want, when you want. It is the very definition of "adventure" in the sense of exploration and discovery.

This. Uncharted is an action game series, not an adventure game series.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Uncharted t e an adventure game. Its like a linear action puzzler (though the puzzles are a joke) with 3rd person shooty stuffs. At least in FC 3 it feelzs like an adventure in the sense that you have control over where you're gpoing in an open world setting. Story is still linear but the gameplay is supperrior IMO.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Necro thread.