Betrayalton. Polygon just tears Microsoft XBONE a new one

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/17/5419464/microsoft-xbox-one-remove-kinect-pack-in

OUCH!! ......this is coming from pro-microsoft site

The Xbox One is $100 more expensive than the PlayStation 4, and Sony's less expensive system is showing off its power with a series of third-party games that perform better on the PlayStation 4 than the Xbox One.

What you're given for this extra money, outside of lower graphical performance, is a confusing user interface that can be controlled via the Kinect. This isn't the best situation for Microsoft's next-generation system.

The Xbox One has been on the market in North America for three months. Microsoft has failed to prove the worth of the Kinect hardware, and there are no concrete release dates for experiences that will justify its costs.

The mandatory Kinect pack-in with the $500 Xbox One was an interesting experiment that has, to date, failed. It's possible that software updates and some amazing and yet unannounced software will redeem the Kinect, but that doesn't change the idea that the company is forcing hardware on players who may not want it. If the Kinect hasn't yet been redeemed, the least Microsoft can do is give us a choice.

TECHNICAL HICCUPS

The Kinect for the Xbox One is a sophisticated, expensive piece of equipment that adds very little to the act of playing games. I'm able to get voice commands to work around 80 percent of the time, but my wife and children have much worse luck.

It doesn't help that your commands have to be oddly specific, to the point where learning the syntax needed to get the system to do anything requires either a bit of memorization or reading the prompts on the screen, at which point you would save both time and effort by simply using a controller.

It's neat when it works, but the time saved can be measured in seconds, and it's just as likely that you're stuck repeating the same phrase over and over trying to get it to pick up your command. This is before you start dealing with false positives and entire regions where voice commands are unavailable at all. Voice commands need to work 100 percent of the time and offer flexibility in how they're delivered, and the Xbox One provides neither.

The use of the Kinect for navigation and voice commands is limited and often frustrating, but the lack of games that use the hardware in any compelling way is just as much of a shame. There are a few gimmicks in games here and there, but Microsoft also packages in a headset with every Xbox One. The use of a sophisticated 3D camera with infrared capabilities and an array of microphones for voice commands is an expensive, and needless, form of overkill.

The system is still new, but every Xbox One owner now has a peripheral that has little reason to exist, aids their gaming in very few real ways and costs them a significant amount of money. Fantasia: Music Evolved from Harmonix is the sole game that looks like it will do anything interesting with motion controls, and this mirrors the frustrating lack of software from the first-generation Kinect as well. Harmonix was the only company that was able to use the Kinect to actually improve certain games, and its ideas were widely copied by competitors, not to mention games published by Microsoft itself.

The Kinect will also be used with Kinect Sports Rivals, which looks perfectly passable. It's also yet another collection of minigames for a motion control device. This is 2014, and Microsoft is still chasing the Wii Sports money?

The Kinect will be useful when Twitch streaming is added to the Xbox One, a feature the PlayStation 4 launched with to great acclaim, but there doesn't seem to be a solid time frame for that taking place.

Anecdotal evidence from the Polygon water cooler suggests that the Kinect may be one of the most hated pieces of equipment in current use, especially among spouses.

ALMOST NO ONE WOULD WANT TO BUY THE KINECT SEPARATELY IF THEY WERE GIVEN THE CHOICE.

"I watched the Super Bowl with friends this year. At the beginning of the game, during a big play, we jumped to our feet. Kinect mistook this for a hand gesture, loading the gesture overlay over the football game. In a rush to get the overlay to disappear, I accidentally paused the television," Polygon's Chris Plante told me. He had to stop eating in front of the television, because the Kinect would bring up the gesture overlay every time he raised the fork.

"Every day I hear the following: 'Xbox, watch TV. Xbox, WATCH TV. Oh, screw you, Xbox," Justin McElroy wrote.

The sight of a family member getting frustrated with the Kinect before giving up and finding a controller is common. On the other hand, you have no choice but to pay for this frustration. I've long since disconnected my own Kinect hardware to avoid these issues, and now it sits in the closet, gathering dust. This is an act that Microsoft originally told me would be impossible, since the Xbox One was designed with the Kinect in mind.

They said the same thing about their all-digital future as well. Microsoft has a history of trying to shake up its products but then backing down to something a little more comfortable and useful. Trying to force the Kinect on the audience is a good example of where this flexibility should be shown next.

IT'S A GOOD DEAL FOR MICROSOFT, NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE

The common defense of the Kinect is that developers wouldn't support it unless it was forced on consumers. This assumes that a fragmented user base would cause a low level of support from the industry.

That attitude is presumptuous and consumer-hostile. Why not have Microsoft and developers create something that compels people to pick up the hardware first, and then see how well it does? Pushing a product on the public with the hope that it will be useful once we have it is a cruel inversion of how product adoption should be handled.

The forced pack-in proves something we already knew at the beginning of this generation: Almost no one would want to buy the Kinect separately if they were given the choice.

WE HAVE ONE BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE, AND THAT'S A BRUTISH WAY TO BUILD A PRODUCT

Allow players who like the unit to purchase one separately if they'd like, but let's stop pretending that developers are going to jump back on board the motion control train, or that the expensive piece of hardware is required to accept voice commands that may or may not work.

The Xbox One had its chance to prove that the Kinect was worth the money, and real-world experiences matched with Sony's current superior sales performance at $400 with a focus on better-looking games shows that the experiment was a failure. Let's get that $400 Xbox One out there, a prospect that becomes much easier without the Kinect pack-in, so people can play some Titanfall and enjoy what the system does well without having to subsidize a motion control platform they don't want.

This is the ultimate test: If the pack-in were to be sold by itself, would 90 percent of players pick it up? The answer is yes for a controller or power cables. The HDMI cable is needed to connect the system to your television. Would most people buy a $100 Kinect along with the system? Absolutely not. They have one because they don't have a choice, and that's a brutish way to build a product.

The Xbox One has an impressive array of games already, and that collection will only grow. Microsoft also has the idea of an integrated entertainment platform that leverages much of the content and services you're already used to paying for, and the user interface and social features of the Xbox One show promise, although they're clumsy at the moment. The Xbox One is a young, promising system, except for this one little detail.

The Kinect adds cost and frustration, and at this point there's nothing on the horizon that will make it more attractive. Microsoft is charging every player for a feature they may not want, even if drastically improved. It's time to make the Kinect a peripheral, not a pack-in.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

who is Polygon again? I seriously forgot

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

xbrats who leave kotaku because wasn't pro-MS enough.

TLHBO

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I've always thought of Kinect as a non-gaming instrument - and frankly something that shouldn't be used for gaming.

But they do make good points, hand gestures are useless and the console only seems to pick up on your hands when you don't want it to.

Largely though, Polygon seems to think Kinect is a video game controller -- which it is not, in any way, nor should it be.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Microsoft shills

Bren128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bren128
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

As a Sony fan I used to find this hilarious. Now its just pathetic. Drop Kinect MS, drop the price, try to upgrade the hardware a bit and get some more 1st party exclusives. Oh and give us more for live

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Polygon are just posing so people stop saying that they are M$' shills. ;)

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Why are cows so jelly of the One.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Lol. Neil Druckmann f@cked their asses up when they released their Left Behind review early, and got trolled to high hell. Guess they are trying to make amends now by doing this. Lol! Clowns of the industry.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Now Polygon's opinion matters? lol

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

So earlier when they did their [podcast they were wrong, but now that they say something anti-MS they are right? :) Opinions are like assess, everybody got one. I don't want a One without Kinect. That's how much I use it and enjoy it. They should drop the price to $400 and eat the loss. That's what they should do IMHO.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Wonder if it loads the gesture overlay when you fap in front of the TV? I can see how that would be annoying... I bet some of you here know the answer to that question already ^^.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

well that was pretty damn harsh, lol.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

No doubt. Its all they ever talk about.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@clone01 said:

@millerlight89 said:

It's ridiculous. Yes, gaming on both I can see that the PS4 is stronger, but the cows are still really jealous over something. They never talk about the ps4 games, just the xbone.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

Now Polygon's opinion matters? lol

Well, technically this is an opinion piece. Polygon as a whole still leans heavily towards Microsoft.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@clone01 said:

@millerlight89 said:

It's ridiculous. Yes, gaming on both I can see that the PS4 is stronger, but the cows are still really jealous over something. They never talk about the ps4 games, just the xbone.

What's silly is that they keep on doing these power comparisons. I think most non-fanboys would agree that the PS4 is the more powerful machine. But then the PC, which smokes both of them conveniently never gets mention.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

They do make a good point, Microsoft forced Kinect in but they haven't released any games that truly make use of it, and there won't be one for awhile. I personally enjoy using mine a lot for the voice commands, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to force people to pay more for a feature a lot of people didn't want to use, and a feature you currently aren't showing off well.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

Microsoft will NEVER drop or devalue Kinect because it's the corner stone of their vision. If they were to do so, it would only highlight their terribly flawed vision of a next gen console. It would pretty much mean the Xbox One was a mistake, which is not something you want to say to consumers who have purchased your product.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I'm still lost on the "confusing UI" of x1. Are people retarded en masse? It is so simple to use in my experience, as is ps4, and wiiu.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Trust Polygon to flaunt a "crazy opinion!" that everyone else had about 12 months ago.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Polygon sucks, writing sucks...I gave them a shot a long time ago. They suck.

Besides, they could have figured that Kinect lacks compelling software so it shouldn't be force bundled months ago after Xbone launch instead of months later in Feb 2014.

Also, I like how this piece has a disclaimer. It's as if they didn't want to piss off M$ or something:

The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Polygon as an organization.

lol.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I don't think Microsoft will do a 180 on the Kinect. Not until the crap hits the fan.

So far, sales for Xbox One are very good according to Microsoft. They have Titanfall releasing soon and are hoping it's the system seller it's hyped to be. If it fails, then I could see Microsoft pulling the plug on Kinect. Until then, Microsoft isn't going to drop the Kinect. They probably spent at least a billion dollars researching, advertising, and selling this device. I doubt they're going to kill it so soon to increase sales.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

Do the wanna get cut off Microsofts payroll?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Everything the article says is true though about Kinect...it really is a piece of shit and should never have been forced on us, it's just MS has vested so much time and money into it that they don't have the balls to drop it, as I'm sure even they know it's an overated piece of shit.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Polygon are just trying to get back on gamers side and hide the fact that MS and polygon give each other the ol reach around every night.

GameMediator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GameMediator
Member since 2014 • 75 Posts

I feel sorry for anybody who actually eats this bullshit up.

The ignorance is baffling!

Kinect isn't for everybody, most gamers dislike motion controls... but do they have to shit all over Microsoft for actually innovating gaming technology... because weather you like it or not, its the future... Kinect is just another step in that direction.

Not to mention the ignorance of the Xbox one hardware. Just because Microsoft isn't appealing to the gamers wants (pretty graphics mainly), lets all hate that company and praise the all mighty PS4, which actually isn't anything new in terms of hardware and technology. How will a gaming industry evolve if we don't invest in new things? People don't like change, until its popularized.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

because they don't have games to play on their shinny ps4

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

It's official - the Kinect is a DEAD, $100 WEIGHT.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Microsoft is very anti-consumer these days, with their micro-transactions and forced peripherals.

And subscription fees. And cut content for dlc. And over-priced digital downloads. And crappy casual games nobody wants.

Meanwhile with Sony, Nothing but greatness and quality games.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#32 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@-Damien- said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Microsoft shills

Pretty much... the only reason they are posting this article is because they are tired of their platform being bad mouthed. They want a kinect-less xbox one... so it would have more sales and possibly repeat of last gen, but geusss what polyshills....the games will still look worse, and without kinect... the xbox isn't an all in one box. they already took out their original vision, doing it again would prove this company can't stand behind anything. I am sure the lemmings would make more excuses... but to me, the kinect should stay. It's an integral part of their system, and their vision. Hell the drm should of stayed too. As that was their vision.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#33 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@clone01 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@clone01 said:

@millerlight89 said:

What's silly is that they keep on doing these power comparisons. I think most non-fanboys would agree that the PS4 is the more powerful machine. But then the PC, which smokes both of them conveniently never gets mention.

Why should the pc get a mention... its a given. As its an open hardward platform, meaning if you have the cash you can have the most powerful device in the world. PC will always trump console and always will. I laugh at the fools who said last gen consoles were more powerful than pcs in 2006... thats plain ridiculous non-sense.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

@-Damien- said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Microsoft shills

Are you serious? The entire internet is a Sony fanboy now days. You guys are EVERYWHERE. I can't go into any Xbox forum or comment system, including Majornelson.com without some Sony fan trashing Xbox or posting anti-xbox news stories. It's become one of the most obnoxious trends in gaming, trash the xbox. It's fine if you hate it, Microsoft and those involved in making it but keep your trolling out of Xbox sections. When the Playstation 3 was going downhill fast was the moment PS fanboys became extremely aggressive. When the general view of the PS3 picked up and people decided Microsoft was "casual" your numbers grew and you all became more of an ongoing riot. Busting into normal conversations and running people off of entire forums. I have stopped going to Gametrailers because the whole Xbox section is mainly Sony trolls. It's truly sad watching these guys become rabid dogs, I can't imagine your everyday lives.

On topic: I like the Kinect, I have yet to use it in a game but saying certain things like "Xbox record that" and "Watch TV" are great uses. I don't know if its worth the extra $100. But it does work for me, I never log in manually I just walk in the room. Could I do without it? Yes but I'd like to keep mine. I originally though Microsoft should stay on their track of not giving people the option to not buy it, but if it will help sales go for it. Will it happen? I highly doubt it. If anything, Microsoft will take the cut in profit and lower the price keeping it in the box.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I would get a kinect-less version somewhere down the line.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Didn't Microgon hail all those features they slammed today on November's review?

I got no time for those fucking hypocrites, and this meagre attempt to cobble back some credibility will fail.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher: What makes them Microsoft shills or "microgon"? Give me an example.

MdBrOtha04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MdBrOtha04
Member since 2003 • 1828 Posts

What's the point of linking the article if your just going to post the whole thing anyway.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@mynamesdenvrmax said:

@GrenadeLauncher: What makes them Microsoft shills or "microgon"? Give me an example.

Giving the Xbone Call of Dogs a higher score for having a better frame rate and not doing the same with TR on PS4.

Giving the Xbone a good review then they complain about it hard in the live stream.

This:

These are the ones on the top of my head.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

I've always thought of Kinect as a non-gaming instrument - and frankly something that shouldn't be used for gaming.

But they do make good points, hand gestures are useless and the console only seems to pick up on your hands when you don't want it to.

Largely though, Polygon seems to think Kinect is a video game controller -- which it is not, in any way, nor should it be.

Which is exactly why it shouldn't be there. Polygon is right to think that Kinect is a video game controller. If it's not, why the **** does it come with their video game console?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Which is exactly why it shouldn't be there. Polygon is right to think that Kinect is a video game controller. If it's not, why the **** does it come with their video game console?

That is a very 1990s and early 2000s way of thinking, to say only video game accessories should be included with a home console. Consoles are becoming more multimedia focused and have been for some time now.

Blu-ray wasn't as good as DVD for streaming video game content but it was included in the PS3 because Sony was pushing the new format, the format which is now the only way to buy disc-based movies.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Pretty much this. It's a great device with a HUUUGE potential. Gaming just isn't it's thing...

It's a bit of a shame really, Kinect is impressive technology that has show serious potential in other fields but it is currently being wasted as a mediocre accessory for video games.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

Harsh article, but everything in it is true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Pretty damn harsh. But I agree with it.

Kinect is garbage. And now MS is feeling the pain.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Just give up lems. When an M$ shill website is criticizing the Xbone that's when you should probably jump ship.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@millerlight89:

What cow is yelly on Xboner? all i see is cows throwing salt in lemz wounds...:P

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

1) 100% knew Gies didn't write the article before I clicked the link.

2) They probably won't be getting their check from M$ this month.

3) Kuchera will be gone because of loss of said check.

4) Article is great.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Haaaah! xD

They really do need a kinect-less SKU, face it. I would certainly consider buying one eventually, but not with that crap packed in, it's apparent kinect is not good tech for people who just want to play some games. I bet it will happen soon...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

LOL!! Back to playing Titanfall.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

" Polygon's Chris Plante told

me. He had to stop eating in front of the

television, because the Kinect would bring

up the gesture overlay every time he

raised the fork." - typical American peasant! you don't eat in front of TV! (j/k)