Battlefield 3 Reuses Props From Bad Company 2

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 USBxDVD
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts

Not saying Im surprised. Its expected from DICE. Even with this evidence, many of you will defend BF3 till no end. What are your opinions on this?

http://imgur.com/a/G2865#15

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Not saying Im surprised. Its expected from DICE. Even with this evidence, many of you will defend BF3 till no end. What are your opinions on this?

USBxDVD
So what...?
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#3 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

and what is MW3? ctrl A ctrl C ctrl V

at least the transition from BC 2 and Battlefield three was more reserved when they decided to copy and paste.

USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 USBxDVD

[QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

FPSfan1985

So what...?

See what I mean people? Defend til no end.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

USBxDVD

So what...?

There is nothing to defend. They did nothing that needs defending.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

It's still miles better than Call of Duty.

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
Yea, that's pretty bad, but then I suppose it's a good deal for people who haven't played BC2.
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 USBxDVD

anshul89

Why did you even have to bring up COD? No one was talking about it. No one wants to hear that name.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FPSfan1985

anshul89
That depends completely on who you ask. Comminutity wide I would bet my next pay check on the fact most would disagree with you.
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 USBxDVD

[QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] So what...?FPSfan1985

Til no end buddy.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FPSfan1985

USBxDVD

Til no end buddy.

Translated: "I have no comeback so I will just say this instead".
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

I don't see why this should bother me.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I'm going to use the good ole' "if you don't play the game why do you care" argument. Because well.....

come on, if you haven't noticed this by now, its obvious you haven't played bf3 at all. lol

And then I'll move on to my side argument: you do realize a lot of companies do this to their games right? They made some good modeling work for a previous game, so why bother redoing the same assets all over again.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

Halo 2 uses props from Halo:CE

Reach uses props from Halo 3... :!:

Its ok to reuses things but the extent MW series goes to is a joke.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
and MW3 reuses the whole game from MW2 :o :P
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 USBxDVD

[QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] There is nothing to defend. They did nothing that needs defending.FPSfan1985

Til no end buddy.

It shows DICE's lack of effort to create new props for one of their biggest releases in history. "Not enough resources? Just reuse things from old games. We got people to defend us. Til no end."

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FPSfan1985

Til no end buddy.

USBxDVD

It shows DICE's lack of effort to create new props for one of their biggest releases in history. "Not enough resources? Just reuse things from old games. We got people to defend us. Til no end."

All game sequels that reuse the same engine or close to it reuse assets. If you have a problem with BF3, you have a problem with the industry as a whole.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Til no end buddy.

USBxDVD

OH NOES!! but teh props make or brake teh gamez!!!! :o
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts
[QUOTE="soulitane"]and MW3 reuses the whole game from MW2 :o :P

lmao, awesome Also, im pretty sure this isnt the first time a game dev has reused buildings and assets, especially with the same engine, same devs, and same genre.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#20 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts
[QUOTE="anshul89"]

FPSfan1985
That depends completely on who you ask. Comminutity wide I would bet my next pay check on the fact most would disagree with you.

look at MW3's metacritic user score, and then look at its reception on these boards. ....:lol:
Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

i see no problem with reusing small structure designs like a trailer or warehouse... it doesnt effect the fun-ness of the gameplay at all.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="anshul89"]

Dead-Memories

look at MW3's metacritic user score, and then look at its reception on these boards. ....:lol:

I rather look at the 9+ million people who went out and purchased it yesterday. You really think most of the people on metacritic even played the game?
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Til no end buddy.

USBxDVD

Are you seriously implying 6 feeble and insignificant architectures that look similiar to the ones in BC2 = Lazy developers? Dam bro....

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
BC2 came out in 2010 ..... BF3 development was confirmed in 2009 (probably started in 2008). BC2 and BF3 were developed side by side.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FPSfan1985
BC2 came out in 2010 ..... BF3 development was confirmed in 2009 (probably started in 2008). BC2 and BF3 were developed side by side. Nonstop-Madness
I like your sig. Funny how game reviews work.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts
[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Dead-Memories"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] That depends completely on who you ask. Comminutity wide I would bet my next pay check on the fact most would disagree with you.

I rather look at the 9+ million people who went out and purchased it yesterday. You really think most of the people on metacritic even played the game?

Seriously all the meta user scores are butt hurt fanboys who gave it a 0, cant be taken seriously at all and I dont even like MW
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Well, it's a good thing these reused buildings look ten times better than they did in BC2.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i don't get it. same building structure. it's not like the real world isn't full of similar-looking buildings. and some of those (most of those) make for great positioning elements. but then again, when you said this:

many of you will defend BF3 till no end

USBxDVD
you pretty much said "i don't care about your opinion, it's wrong and thus invalid by default unless you agree with me", so there really isn't much room for discussion here.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i don't get it. same building structure. it's not like the real world isn't full of similar-looking buildings. and some of those (most of those) make for great positioning elements. but then again, when you said this:

USBxDVD
you pretty much said "i don't care about your opinion, it's wrong and thus invalid by default unless you agree with me", so there really isn't much room for discussion here.

and look at the buildings closely...anyone who's played both BC2 and BF3 can tell you, sure the models look the same, but BF3's textures and other elements make it still look like a new structure
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
^ i especially love the bunkers. as if there were many bunker designs to choose from.
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 USBxDVD

i don't get it. same building structure. it's not like the real world isn't full of similar-looking buildings. and some of those (most of those) make for great positioning elements. but then again, when you said this: [QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

BrunoBRS

The normal response would be "Yeah, DICE should have made new props.", "I guess they were too lazy or didnt have enough resources to make new props that were just as good as the ones they reused.", "Yeah it sucks they reused props, but its not that bad."

Instead we have responses like "So what...?", "MW3 did too!", "I dont care." If you arent smart enough to realize it, those are the responses of a fanboy. Rejecting all forms of criticism and redirecting it at something else.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i don't get it. same building structure. it's not like the real world isn't full of similar-looking buildings. and some of those (most of those) make for great positioning elements. but then again, when you said this: [QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

USBxDVD

The normal response would be "Yeah, DICE should have made new props.", "I guess they were too lazy or didnt have enough resources to make new props that were just as good as the ones they reused.", "Yeah it sucks they reused props, but its not that bad."

Instead we have responses like "So what...?", "MW3 did too!", "I dont care." If you arent smart enough to realize it, those are the responses of a fanboy. Rejecting all forms of criticism and redirecting it at something else.

So anything other than its BF3s fault is fanboyism

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Shows SW's double standards and bias against COD :P
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#34 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

A developer should never ever reuse assets from their previous games. They must rebuild everything from scratch each time they want to make a new game.

shinigami-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shinigami-uk
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts
Didn't Super Mario Bros reuse assets from the same game? The tree's looked exactly the same as the clouds. Why would they bother recreating another warehouse/hut when they could just reuse their old materials? I could write a massive essay about how every company reuses assets and how it saves money but I would just be wasting my time on you.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i don't get it. same building structure. it's not like the real world isn't full of similar-looking buildings. and some of those (most of those) make for great positioning elements. but then again, when you said this: [QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

USBxDVD

I have no desire the ever play BF3 and I can tell you that you're just wrong. There's no reason to remodel something simply for the sake of making a new prop. There's no complexity to be added, and if it is can be easily done through editing the original polygon mesh, not replacing the entire thing.

It takes alot of time to properly create a model. Between editing the small details and simply make sure the mesh doesn't have any strange gaps or holes, that's time better spent elsewhere. Reusing models is a key concept in many design fields; Revit Architecture has a ton of pre-designed objects such as trees, common walls, benches, etc to throw into an architectural render because no one is going to waste time modeling an individual trash can. The only thing you've proven is that you have no idea how 3D modeling, as a discipline, operates.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

USBxDVD

The rendering looks different.

I don't mind paying (i.e. lower maintenance price)for Crysis 1 with updated CryEngine 3 (i.e. improved 3D rendering engine).

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="USBxDVD"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] There is nothing to defend. They did nothing that needs defending.FPSfan1985

Til no end buddy.

Says the fakeboy account :P

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Their props were made...properly...

Why would they need to throw it all out? :P

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

This just in! Skyward sword is reusing sound effects from TP, and uses a modified TP model. This just in Gears of war reuses gun models from previous games, and has modified character models, and reuses sounds. This just in Final Fantasy XIII-2 Reuses character models. This just in Countr-Strike GO is reusign alot of stf from CSS The list goes on bro. You can't expect ppl to do everything from scartch.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

In case you were wondering it's in response to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b5dsOn06w1s

Funny when people don't know stuff like this and you get these sort of responses, but I bet if this was a CoD thread with that video it would be full of trolling comments.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

What the heck is this? All developers do this.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

anshul89
How is it better?
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WiiMan21
[QUOTE="anshul89"]

dotWithShoes
How is it better?

Read through the thread, basically Modern Warfare 3 is Modern Warfare 2 copy and pasted.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
[QUOTE="anshul89"]

dotWithShoes
How is it better?

Which is why it scored higher on Metacritic, and sold more..........oh wait :roll:
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WiiMan21

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"] look at MW3's metacritic user score, and then look at its reception on these boards. ....:lol: StrongDeadlift

You mean the metacritic user score that all the 12 year old Battlefield fanboys were robotically programmed to fill out 1.0 reviews DAY ONE when the game came out? ;)

God Battlefield fanboys are the saddest body of individuals I have ever encountered in the gaming community. Biggest hippocrites ever.

Battlefield fanboys are dismissing this, yet this EXACT same topic was a HUGE discussion yesterday about MW3 doing the same thing, and they were laughing about it. Now, just one day later, when BF3 does it, they dont care :lol:

BF3 fanboys also said that MW2 and Blackops only got good metacritic reviews because they bribed reviewers, yet when it came out that EA was doing the same, they said "hey, we cant blame them" :roll:

Also, ironically, they say that CoD is nothing but COD kiddies, yet they display WAY more childish behavior than any COD player ive encountered.

Are you joking? I know a ton of people, myself included that was just completely let down by MW3. Sure I expected BF3 to be better from the get go being I played all of the BF games and all of the CoD games, but MW3 has literally not excuse to be as copy and pasted as much as it was.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="anshul89"]

StrongDeadlift
How is it better?

Which is why it scored higher on Metacritic, and sold more..........oh wait :roll:

Sales and scores aren't everything yo! It's all about the warm fuzzy feeling you get for knowing you don't follow FPS trends...because hating on CoD isn't a trend...but liking CoD is...apparently.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

As peopel said before, this is very typical of most videogames. I am starting to wonder how many of us around here actually understand how much time, effort, and resources it take to make a videogame. Why would Dice waste all their time making a "unique" building that will lokk similar to the same assets they already have? It would be waste a time that they could use to improve other areas of the game.