***Batman: Arkham City - Hype Thread!!! v1.2 *** GS: 9.0, Hype met!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#401 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] It is not useless, if it had scored 90 here then GS would have underrated it. .5 differences here are a big deal.kuraimen

not when .5 increments are used. :?

Well I have argued with you over this before. I don't think either of us are going to change our minds. For me, as in IMO, the difference is significant but I accept some others might not think that way.

To be fair, in order to overrate or underrate something, you need to agree that the 'true' value of the object is above or below the given score.

An aggregate score is not the 'true' value, it is simply an aggregate score. It is the product of every score from 0-100, but it's not the 'true' value. The 'true' value, in which one needs in order to label other scores 'underrated' and 'overrated', is one of the values in the aggregate, but it's not the aggregate score itself.

For example, let's say that the 'true' value of Arkham City was GameSpot's score. Perhaps every other website gave Arkham City 9.5, and thus the aggregate is higher than the GameSpot score, but that doesn't call GameSpot into question (if we knew that they had the 'true' value), it means the aggregate is higher than the 'true' value. Thus, every website that gave it less than 9.0 underrated the game, and every website that gave it more than 9.0 overrated it.

CaseyWegner has it right: comparing propriety scoring systems to the Metacritic average is pretty much useless.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#402 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

not when .5 increments are used. :?

FrozenLiquid

Well I have argued with you over this before. I don't think either of us are going to change our minds. For me, as in IMO, the difference is significant but I accept some others might not think that way.

To be fair, in order to overrate or underrate something, you need to agree that the 'true' value of the object is above or below the given score.

An aggregate score is not the 'true' value, it is simply an aggregate score. It is the product of every score from 0-100, but it's not the 'true' value. The 'true' value, in which one needs in order to label other scores 'underrated' and 'overrated', is one of the values in the aggregate, but it's not the aggregate score itself.

For example, let's say that the 'true' value of Arkham City was GameSpot's score. Perhaps every other website gave Arkham City 9.5, and thus the aggregate is higher than the GameSpot score, but that doesn't call GameSpot into question (if we knew that they had the 'true' value), it means the aggregate is higher than the 'true' value. Thus, every website that gave it less than 9.0 underrated the game, and every website that gave it more than 9.0 overrated it.

CaseyWegner has it right: comparing propriety scoring systems to the Metacritic average is pretty much useless.

But what is the "true value"? All the individual values are opinions, what opinion is more valuable than the rest? I prefer to compare it to the average of the opinions since it shows more or less how the game is regarded overall by the whole professional gaming community not to just one. Besides you can round MC scores to a .5 system and compare, the significant differences basically remains. You round Gears 3 score to a .5 scale and it gives you a 9. It stills show it was overrated by GS. Anyways this is my opinion people, you're welcome to justify your own analysis but I don't agree with it.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Well I have argued with you over this before. I don't think either of us are going to change our minds. For me, as in IMO, the difference is significant but I accept some others might not think that way.kuraimen

But what is the "true value"? All the individual values are opinions, what opinion is more valuable than the rest? I prefer to compare it to the average of the opinions since it shows more or less how the game is regarded overall by the whole professional gaming community not to just one. Besides you can round MC scores to a .5 system and compare, the significant differences basically remains. You round Gears 3 score to a .5 scale and it gives you a 9. It stills show it was overrated by GS. Anyways this is my opinion people, you're welcome to justify your own analysis but I don't agree with it.

oh my god! it's one notch! too close! why do you keep using this? it's statistically useless.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#404 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Well I have argued with you over this before. I don't think either of us are going to change our minds. For me, as in IMO, the difference is significant but I accept some others might not think that way.kuraimen

which reminds me... Why does everybody trust Metacritic when they make certain reviews count for more than other reviews. How fair is that? They consider some sources more credible than others. They also count both 'A' and 'A+' as 100/100... Makes no sense. Gamerankings is a far better agregate site.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

CaseyWegner

oh my god! it's one notch! too close! why do you keep using this? it's statistically useless.

It is not useless for me. Even a 1 point in MC is significant for me. Specially considering how much it takes to go up or go down one point there. One review can't change the average most of the time.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] But what is the "true value"? All the individual values are opinions, what opinion is more valuable than the rest? I prefer to compare it to the average of the opinions since it shows more or less how the game is regarded overall by the whole professional gaming community not to just one. Besides you can round MC scores to a .5 system and compare, the significant differences basically remains. You round Gears 3 score to a .5 scale and it gives you a 9. It stills show it was overrated by GS. Anyways this is my opinion people, you're welcome to justify your own analysis but I don't agree with it.kuraimen

It is not useless for me. Even a 1 point in MC is significant for me. Specially considering how much it takes to go up or go down one point there. One review can't change the average most of the time.

what has it accomplished for you here? thinking that being one notch away from the average is an indication of bias?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

Pikminmaniac

which reminds me... Why does everybody trust Metacritic when they make certain reviews count for more than other reviews. How fair is that? They consider some sources more credible than others. They also count both 'A' and 'A+' as 100/100... Makes no sense. Gamerankings is a far better agregate site.

I think MC and Gamerankings are similar. The overall differences between the games remain. You look into the Gears3 score for example and the difference score-wise here is similar, they usually fluctuate in one or two points.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 kuraimen

CaseyWegner

what has it accomplished for you here? thinking that being one notch away from the average is an indication of bias?

Maybe, when it happens with many games. It is the way I explain the difference, I don't believe it happens just by chance, people are welcomed to disagree though.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] But what is the "true value"? All the individual values are opinions, what opinion is more valuable than the rest? I prefer to compare it to the average of the opinions since it shows more or less how the game is regarded overall by the whole professional gaming community not to just one. Besides you can round MC scores to a .5 system and compare, the significant differences basically remains. You round Gears 3 score to a .5 scale and it gives you a 9. It stills show it was overrated by GS. Anyways this is my opinion people, you're welcome to justify your own analysis but I don't agree with it.kuraimen

I think MC and Gamerankings are similar. The overall differences between the games remain. You look into the Gears3 score for example and the difference score-wise here is similar, they usually fluctuate in one or two points.

if the average of the game is not a 0 or 5 then gamespot's score can be nothing but biased to you.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

CaseyWegner

if the average of the game is not a 0 or 5 then gamespot's score can be nothing but biased to you.

Everything we humans do is biased, there's no such thing as completely objective behavior. Now some biases are more evident than others. I don't pretend to claim that GS has a conspiracy to overrate or underrate some games, I don't know and really don't care that much. I just think many of their reviewers have preferences that are noticeable which can be seen as a bias.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] It is not useless for me. Even a 1 point in MC is significant for me. Specially considering how much it takes to go up or go down one point there. One review can't change the average most of the time.kuraimen

Maybe, when it happens with many games. It is the way I explain the difference, I don't believe it happens just by chance, people are welcomed to disagree though.

you don't believe it happens by chance because you always ignore the big picture. you miss the forest for the trees.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] I think MC and Gamerankings are similar. The overall differences between the games remain. You look into the Gears3 score for example and the difference score-wise here is similar, they usually fluctuate in one or two points.kuraimen

Everything we humans do is biased, there's no such thing as completely objective behavior. Now some biases are more evident than others. I don't pretend to claim that GS has a conspiracy to overrate or underrate some games, I don't know and really don't care that much. I just think many of their reviewers have preferences that are noticeable which can be seen as a bias.

yes. and we all know you subscribe to a very flawed system to come to that conclusion.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 kuraimen

CaseyWegner

yes. and we all know you subscribe to a very flawed system to come to that conclusion.

Well at least some people agree with me like ian, so it's not "all".
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Everything we humans do is biased, there's no such thing as completely objective behavior. Now some biases are more evident than others. I don't pretend to claim that GS has a conspiracy to overrate or underrate some games, I don't know and really don't care that much. I just think many of their reviewers have preferences that are noticeable which can be seen as a bias.kuraimen

Well at least some people agree with me like ian, so it's not "all".

of course. he was the one who came up with the flawed system in the first place.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#415 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

I think GS should change how they do reviews since kuraimen thinks Gears 3 was overrated. Even though GS does reviews before most sites, after the dust settles they should change their score according I.E if a 360 game is above the MC average lower it, but leave it if a PS3 game is lower like MGS4.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
has anyone checked the metacritic score.... best game this year?? 360 - 95 with 26 reviews ps3 - 98 with 10 reviews
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 kuraimen

I think GS should change how they do reviews since kuraimen thinks Gears 3 was overrated. Even though GS does reviews before most sites, after the dust settles they should change their score according I.E if a 360 game is above the MC average lower it, but leave it if a PS3 game is lower like MGS4.

Grawse
Why would they do that? I have no problem acknowledging that MGS4 is overrated here in comparison to MC.
killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#418 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]has anyone checked the metacritic score.... best game this year?? 360 - 95 with 26 reviews ps3 - 98 with 10 reviews

Wow. That is definitely something. I guess as of right now, it is between this and Portal 2 for GOTY. :D
UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#419 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

So... as of now, this is the most critically acclaimed superhero game of all time, yes?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#420 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

And yet the only penalty against it in the review was that the bosses were too easy. I understand that we'll never get an answer as to why, but can't really be described or defined doesn't satisfy my curiosity as to why it didn't score higher.

Again, I'm not disappointed in the score which is what some people seem to think by my curiosity. Its a fantastic score. The review and the score to me don't match up entirely, that's all. If you're fine with the review and the score that's okay, but I also think its okay for me to be curious as to why instead of just settling with some thing that can't be defined.

CaseyWegner

penalty? i just told you that that's not how it works. the game was good enough to score as high as it did...not as low as it did. there are always going to be undefinables.

Yes, penalty. There is a section labeled under every review titled 'The Good' and underneath that is 'The Bad.' There we see a list of good points and bad points. I assume the bad points are taken into consideration when reviewing a game but maybe I'm mistaken.

Why do you seem to think that I believe every game starts off at a 10? Nowhere did I say it does and I have not said that "well this point in 'The Bad' must drop it .25 points, so where's the other .75?" Well guess what? I don't believe every game starts at a 10 and works its way down. I have stated more than once that the reason I question the score is because the review, to me, doesn't match up with the score. I hope that settles that.

And I don't settle for undefinables, I told you that. At least I don't want to so I question those undefinables. I feel there is a reason for everything hence why I'm asking why things are. And to be honest I don't quite understand what the problem with that is. You may list it as an undefinable and be satisfied. Fine, but I ask the question. Was it that the reviewer didn't have as much fun with it as other games or was it an actual technical consideration with the video game? Or it could have possibly just been that the easy bosses took that much away from the experience? As I've stated, we may never know and that is your undefinable. But I don't want to just settle with that so I question.

I have stated that I know it has scored high and I am immensely satisfied with it, but after the reading review I ask the question why not a higher score? Did I say I wish it had scored higher? No. I personally woud like something a little more than undefinables, even if I can never get them. But I question.

AngryJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 AngryJuice
Member since 2011 • 305 Posts

So... as of now, this is the most critically acclaimed superhero game of all time, yes?

UnrealLegend
Yes. Fantastic score, one of my most anticipated titles bar Skyward Sword. I'm still shell shocked at the fact they actually managed a good batman game with AA.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

http://www.destructoid.com/gamestop-to-put-arkham-city-catwoman-pass-in-used-copies-213711.phtml

Gamestop is kinda off.. lol.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#423 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

http://www.destructoid.com/gamestop-to-put-arkham-city-catwoman-pass-in-used-copies-213711.phtml

GD1551

Good for them I say. Anything to piss of WB is great in my book. Although I can't imagine WB not taking some sort of legal action.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

GD1551
Kinda off? They've finally grown a pair. This will definitely get some sales.
Qwark-PS-Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 Qwark-PS-Snake
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts
Wow it's still at 98 on metacritic after 10 reviews, this could be one of the best scoring games this gen.
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Wow it's still at 98 on metacritic after 10 reviews, this could be one of the best scoring games this gen.Qwark-PS-Snake
maybe of all time
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

Has anyone noticed that the walmart arkham asylum offer is now gone? what gives?

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I would really like a confirmed pc release date, im dying here... :D

AngryJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 AngryJuice
Member since 2011 • 305 Posts

PcGamingRig
November 8th.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Shut up,crime!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

Has anyone noticed that the walmart arkham asylum offer is now gone? what gives?

TheEroica

What was the offer?

Edit: Oh the free copy of AA?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

mrmusicman247

How so? I honestly think this is a very despicable act by gamestop.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Why is it despicable? It's business and it's perfectly legal. Used sales are a part of any industry. Once the retailer has acquired the product they can go by whatever means they desire to sell it. Gaming isn't a white knight industry, its an industry like any other. I'm just curious how GameStop will be getting all the codes.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#435 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

PcGamingRig
Rocksteady will reveal PC release date and specs some time next week: http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/5940-Hot-Topic-2-PC
todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts
Wow it's still at 98 on metacritic after 10 reviews, this could be one of the best scoring games this gen.Qwark-PS-Snake
Too bad Gamespot has to screw it up with their god awful review
todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts

TheEroica
I don't know but I seen a commercial just last night for wal mart. They were promoting that deal. I guess if you go at midnight, you can get both games. Maybe they just stopped the pre orders.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Used games sales will be higher. This is benefiting the consumers who buy used games.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 GD1551

Why is it despicable? It's business and it's perfectly legal. Used sales are a part of any industry. Once the retailer has acquired the product they can go by whatever means they desire to sell it. Gaming isn't a white knight industry, its an industry like any other. I'm just curious how GameStop will be getting all the codes.

jamejame

This is why I am saying this. They are getting the codes from WB and then turning around and using them to circumvent WB's anti used sale measures. Very low.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

Sushiglutton

Rocksteady will reveal PC release date and specs some time next week: http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/5940-Hot-Topic-2-PC

if it is pushed back any further, I will whip them with a car antenna. :D

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 Pikminmaniac

So, what action adventure game this gen could possibly top this game (is skyward Sword the only possibility)??? Is there even anything that challenges the first Arkham agame?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

So, what action adventure game this gen could possibly top this game (is skyward Sword the only possibility)??? Is there even anything that challenges the first Arkham agame?

Pikminmaniac

I found GOW3 to be a more enjoyable game than Arkham Asylum though I am not sure they can be compared....

But Arkham City just looks bigger and better. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the combat in the first game, it's really simplistic but made you feel like you are Batman, it was rhythmic hitting and using counters, dodging etc. I am glad that's kept intact albeit refined for Akrham City.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Swift_Boss_A

I found GOW3 to be a more enjoyable game than Arkham Asylum though I am not sure they can be compared....

But Arkham City just looks bigger and better. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the combat in the first game, it's really simplistic but made you feel like you are Batman, it was rhythmic hitting and using counters, dodging etc. I am glad that's kept intact albeit refined for Akrham City.

but when you get into those challenge stages for combat, it gets rather deep indeed. I triple medaled every challenge and then looked on youtube to see what other people did. I was completely amazed! It took me forever to manage 50,000 points on the more difficult version of Rumble in the Jungle, but somebody managed to earn over 200, 000 points! That's the range of skill in the combat and it's brilliant

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

but when you get into those challenge stages for combat, it gets rather deep indeed. I triple medaled every challenge and then looked on youtube to see what other people did. I was completely amazed! It took me forever to manage 50,000 points on the more difficult version of Rumble in the Jungle, but somebody managed to earn over 200, 000 points! That's the range of skill in the combat and it's brilliant

Pikminmaniac

Yeah the challenge missions really made me appreciate the combat even more, the timing has to be perfect to get the highest scores.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

GD1551

This is why I am saying this. They are getting the codes from WB and then turning around and using them to circumvent WB's anti used sale measures. Very low.

It's not low as long as the codes are being paid for. To get the online pass, you have to pay $10 extra to get it if you buy the game used. GS is simply paying for the codes themselves and putting them in the used game copies.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 GD1551

It's not low as long as the codes are being paid for. To get the online pass, you have to pay $10 extra to get it if you buy the game used. GS is simply paying for the codes themselves and putting them in the used game copies. mrmusicman247

They are obviously doing it to steal some of the early sales from devs while the price is at its highest. It's pretty low if you ask me.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]It's not low as long as the codes are being paid for. To get the online pass, you have to pay $10 extra to get it if you buy the game used. GS is simply paying for the codes themselves and putting them in the used game copies. GD1551

They are obviously doing it to steal some of the early sales from devs while the price is at its highest. It's pretty low if you ask me.

How? You can't have used games sales when the game first comes out. There are no used games then.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]It's not low as long as the codes are being paid for. To get the online pass, you have to pay $10 extra to get it if you buy the game used. GS is simply paying for the codes themselves and putting them in the used game copies. mrmusicman247

How? You can't have used games sales when the game first comes out. There are no used games then.

Notice I said when the price is at its highest? Used games start to trickle in after the first week.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

GD1551

Interesting. Why would WB send GameStop extra codes though? It doesn't make any sense.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#450 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Pikminmaniac
Well I suppose some think Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Zelda etc. But I have to agree. This is as good as it gets this gen imo 8)!