***Batman: Arkham City - Hype Thread!!! v1.2 *** GS: 9.0, Hype met!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by laus_basic (8300 posts) -
launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BO508UDpwI So good!! Not sure if I'd call it spoilery, but I guess those who have been on media blackout should just wait for the game and avoid this.
#302 Posted by Advid-Gamer (4844 posts) -
[QUOTE="laus_basic"]launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BO508UDpwI So good!! Not sure if I'd call it spoilery, but I guess those who have been on media blackout should just wait for the game and avoid this.

Defiantly waiting on the pc version, those graphics looked bad.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#303 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (24788 posts) -

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

So the game got 9. Reactions? ;)

xLittlekillx

I was disappointed at first, which is ridiculous. But in times like these I think about the games that GameSpot gave a 10 to and I feel better.

I think the smaller scale of the city and the lack of online features are what kept it away from the sacred realm of 9.5
#304 Posted by dommeus (9433 posts) -

9.0 @ GS.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
#305 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3840 posts) -
This game has just worked its way in over BF3 I think. I have zero confidence that BF3 will not be overhyped and a disappointment like KZ3 and Socom 4 already have been for me this year. On the other hand, Arkham City looks awesome. I didnt much care for AA because of its more closed in nature. Having a more open environment makes it far more appealing.
#306 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

[QUOTE="laus_basic"]launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BO508UDpwI So good!! Not sure if I'd call it spoilery, but I guess those who have been on media blackout should just wait for the game and avoid this.Advid-Gamer
Defiantly waiting on the pc version, those graphics looked bad.

You need to get your eyes check because they look great.:?

#307 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11205 posts) -

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

So the game got 9. Reactions? ;)

Bread_or_Decide

I was disappointed at first, which is ridiculous. But in times like these I think about the games that GameSpot gave a 10 to and I feel better.

I think the smaller scale of the city and the lack of online features are what kept it away from the sacred realm of 9.5

The word lack suggests that the game needs certain online features. What online features could possibly improve this game? That couldn't possibly be a reason to prevent the game from scoring higher.

#308 Posted by madsnakehhh (16251 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

Pikminmaniac

The word lack suggests that the game needs certain online features. What online features could possibly improve this game? That couldn't possibly be a reason to prevent the game from scoring higher.

Maybe some sort of challenges with leaderboard support, that's the only thing it could use online.

Anyway, i would like to know more about the game's issues, i feel they are not very clear in the Review, yes Boss fights are easy and i can see this been a huge flaw (it was a huge deal for me in the first game) but other than that, i don't see anything else that remarkable.

#309 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] I think the smaller scale of the city and the lack of online features are what kept it away from the sacred realm of 9.5 madsnakehhh

Maybe some sort of challenges with leaderboard support, that's the only thing it could use online.

Anyway, i would like to know more about the game's issues, i feel they are not very clear in the Review, yes Boss fights are easy and i can see this been a huge flaw (it was a huge deal for me in the first game) but other than that, i don't see anything else that remarkable.

Wait, there's no challenge rooms?
#310 Posted by Allthishate (1879 posts) -
UC3 is so screwed all im saying
#311 Posted by madsnakehhh (16251 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

mrmusicman247

I haven't heard anything about them, so i assume there aren't any,

#313 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11205 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

madsnakehhh

There are combat, sneaking, and racing challenge modes with leader board support

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1188408p1.html

#314 Posted by DJChuy (1851 posts) -

Fantastic scores. I was expecting a 9.5 here, but a 9.0 is still excellent.

I cancelled my pre-order at Amazon and pre-ordered it at Gamestop. Amazon's pre-order bonus kind of sucks, and I don't want to use my card anymore.

#315 Posted by madsnakehhh (16251 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"] Wait, there's no challenge rooms?Pikminmaniac

There are combat, sneaking, and racing challenge modes

Nice to know...but my main question remains, what are the flaws of the game other than Easy Boss Battles? i'm not against the score, but i feel it was too much praise and not enough justification for a 9.0

#316 Posted by Swift_Boss_A (14579 posts) -

It may not have have scored the first one here but there is a lot to say about consistency, especially when there are rising standards every year.

#317 Posted by todd2r (2615 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

madsnakehhh

Nice to know...but my main question remains, what are the flaws of the game other than Easy Boss Battles? i'm not against the score, but i feel it was too much praise and not enough justification for a 9.0

The only flaw listed in GS review is easy boss battles. GS reviews are terrible and I wonder what industry insiders think of this site. I don't even take their reviews seriously. To be honest, Rocksteady is lucky they didn't 8.5 this sucker.
#318 Posted by zassimick (10407 posts) -

madsnakehhh

I was wondering the same thing a couple pages back and still am, though we won't get a answer unless Petit comes to the board and answers them for us.

Just like you, I'm not against a 9.0, its a great score. But I want to understand why this got a 9.0 when there are other games that seem to have more problems which are ignored when those games are reviewed. It probably seems like I'm complaining when I'm not. I'm just curious for an answer when there isn't one.

#319 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Zassimick

I was wondering the same thing a couple pages back and still am, though we won't get a answer unless Petit comes to the board and answers them for us.

Just like you, I'm not against a 9.0, its a great score. But I want to understand why this got a 9.0 when there are other games that seem to have more problems which are ignored when those games are reviewed. It probably seems like I'm complaining when I'm not. I'm just curious for an answer when there isn't one.

The ign review focuses more on the negatives. He pretty much lists them out, then says they're so insignificant compared to how good the game is that they don't matter.

#320 Posted by Kiro0 (1176 posts) -

So the boss fights still suck? Damn, that was like my biggest complaint with the first game. Was hoping they'd fix it. Oh well. Completely unsurprised by the score it got and I imagine it'll be fun whenever I get around to playing it.

#321 Posted by Sushiglutton (6828 posts) -
Another short update from the toilet :)! 9.0 is excellent, but still a tiny bit disapointing. Oh well it's just an opinion after all ;)!
#322 Posted by madsnakehhh (16251 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

todd2r

The only flaw listed in GS review is easy boss battles. GS reviews are terrible and I wonder what industry insiders think of this site. I don't even take their reviews seriously. To be honest, Rocksteady is lucky they didn't 8.5 this sucker.

I have to say, most of the times i like GS reviews, i like the current team, i tend to agree with most of them, specially Tom McShea and Kevin V that's why i think it's weird a game like this and to a lesser extent Dark Souls gets too much praise and little onto evreything else.

#323 Posted by Nuck81 (6829 posts) -
I had more spoiled watching the first three minutes of the Gamepost review than I have for two years reading updates and looking at screenshots so I quite watching. I don't want the game replayed and the story told in detail during a review Gamespot, I just want to know the good and the bad
#324 Posted by Badosh (12770 posts) -
9.0 ain't to bad, haven't played the first, but sounds like I might as well just try this one out instead of the first.
#325 Posted by C-Lee (5838 posts) -
I might be skipping classes Tuesday just for this game...
#326 Posted by finalstar2007 (27919 posts) -

So many games, so little money

#327 Posted by SpideR_CentS (4765 posts) -

Again an underrated game by Gamestop. This should have been a 9.5 based on thier review. Don't know what up with their reviews lately but aside from over rating Dark Souls (AA on Meta, 9.5 here) they are underrating other game. This should have been 9.5 and Forza and NBA 2k at least 9's.

#328 Posted by SpideR_CentS (4765 posts) -

9.0 ain't to bad, haven't played the first, but sounds like I might as well just try this one out instead of the first.Badosh
You don't need to play the 1st, but you should. It's a great game with an awesome story. Pick up the first for $20 play thru it and then the new one will be down to $40-50 instead of $60 ;)

#329 Posted by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

Chea! Just what I expected.

#330 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

Again an underrated game by Gamestop. This should have been a 9.5 based on thier review. Don't know what up with their reviews lately but aside from over rating Dark Souls (AA on Meta, 9.5 here) they are underrating other game. This should have been 9.5 and Forza and NBA 2k at least 9's.

SpideR_CentS
They also overrated Gears 3. 95 here 91 on Meta
#331 Posted by racing1750 (14567 posts) -
9.0 ain't to bad, haven't played the first, but sounds like I might as well just try this one out instead of the first.Badosh
9/10 is AAA (superb) Does every game need to score a 10 to be considered an excellent score :P
#332 Posted by WarMasterAlani (958 posts) -

9.0 is what I expected from Snobspot

#333 Posted by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

The reception for this game is unbelievable. Reading the quotes at Metcritic, you'd think Arkham City is the greatest action-adventure game of all time.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/batman-arkham-city/critic-reviews

#334 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11205 posts) -

I feel there's been a shift in what reviewers believe makes up a superb game since last gen. Last gen, a game like Arkham City would have scored through the roof (something like a 96 metascore) for having open world freedom and exploration, deep and varied combat, excellent stealth with a plethora of options at your fingertips, great longevity, hundreds of secrets and collectibles, excellent atmosphere, a great story, and a bunch of challenges in challenge mode to test your skills. Now-a-days linear games that sacrifice depth, options, and exploration for cinematic appearance receive these scores.

call me strange, but I'm still stuck in the last gen mentality and I'm almost completely certain that Arkham City will be my game of the generation.

#335 Posted by xLittlekillx (1833 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]

kuraimen

Bah, it's not a big deal. 8.5, 9.0, 9.5. They're all good games, and people are going to play them and have so much fun no matter what gamespot says. I think everybody already knows that Arkham City is going to be jaw-droppingly awesome. The reviews serve as hype articles to get you pumped for tuesday.

#336 Posted by ioannisdenton (2058 posts) -

Just saw and read the review. it is GREAT. reviewer seemed to really really like the game. as for score i do not care. each reviewer scores differently.

#337 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -

The reception for this game is unbelievable. Reading the quotes at Metcritic, you'd think Arkham City is the greatest action-adventure game of all time.

TREAL_Since
So many 100s...
#338 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Zassimick

a game doesn't start out at a 10 and has points taken off by flaws. the game scored as high as a 9.0...not as low as one. the game was good enough to score what it did but notgood enough for something higher. there are some things that can't really be described or defined.

#339 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11205 posts) -

TREAL_Since

You know what? Based on how much I've played the first game and what I know about the second, Arkham City could very well deserve a title as prestigious as that.

#340 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]

kuraimen

ffs, did you want them to underrate it? they go by increments of .5. :|

#341 Posted by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

I feel there's been a shift in what reviewers believe makes up a superb game since last gen. Last gen, a game like Arkham City would have scored through the roof (something like a 96 metascore) for having open world freedom and exploration, deep and varied combat, excellent stealth with a plethora of options at your fingertips, great longevity, hundreds of secrets and collectibles, excellent atmosphere, a great story, and a bunch of challenges in challenge mode to test your skills. Now-a-days linear games that sacrifice depth, options, and exploration for cinematic appearance receive these scores.

call me strange, but I'm still stuck in the last gen mentality and I'm almost completely certain that Arkham City will be my game of the generation.

Pikminmaniac

Yeah, I feel you. An open world game of this quality and varied gameplay is enorumous. I think most critics are giving it worthy praise though. It's currently 95 on Metacritic :).

#342 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11205 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

TREAL_Since

Yeah, I feel you. An open world game of this quality and varied gameplay is enorumous. I think most critics are giving it worthy praise though. It's currently 95 on Metacritic :).

WOW! That is very impressive!

#343 Posted by halokillerz (3406 posts) -

feels like gamespot gave this a 9.0 because dark souls already got a 9.5 and theyre anticipating other hyped games to get 9.5, so they wanted to avoid giving away too many 9.5s

#344 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

feels like gamespot gave this a 9.0 because dark souls already got a 9.5 and theyre anticipating other hyped games to get 9.5, so they wanted to avoid giving away too many 9.5s

halokillerz

does that make more sense than the reviewer thinking it deserved a 9?

#345 Posted by 789shadow (20195 posts) -

[QUOTE="halokillerz"]

CaseyWegner

Sense has no meaning in the minds of conspiracy-minded people. :P

#346 Posted by Grawse (4342 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]

kuraimen

Damn that's a huge difference. Almost as big as the difference between GS and Metacritic for MGS4.

#347 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]

kuraimen

OMG a .4 difference!

#348 Posted by madsnakehhh (16251 posts) -

[QUOTE="halokillerz"]

CaseyWegner

I think most people feel this way because of the lack of any reason for this game to get a 9.0 when the Review does very little to address the issues of the game other than Easy Boss Battles.

#349 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12013 posts) -

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it won GOTY. It looks sooo amazing!

#350 Posted by Swift_Boss_A (14579 posts) -

There is no way I will get the game used, I do not want to miss out playing with Catwoman. DAT CAT!