As someone who is not biased, there is one fact I can't ignore this generation

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xalaten
Member since 2006 • 965 Posts

I say I'm not biased because I own a PS3 and have purchased two 360s, an original pro and then an arcade for the hdmi that the original pro never had when I got my 42 inch lcd.

I love BOTH systems and I love the exclusives on both systems. Hell, as I said I loved my 360 so much I bought ANOTHER just to have the hdmi.

HOWEVER, there is one thing I will never forgive Microsoft for and this is why I can respect Sony more. I know this has been hashed and rehashed here but quite frankly this can never be said enough. Period.

The failure rates on the 360 are unacceptable. Quite frankly Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for putting out this shoddy piece of engineering. The simple fact I can consider myself LUCKY for only having to send my original 360 in ONCE says a lot. The 360 is cheaper but it is also more cheaply built. You get what you pay for. I bring this up because yet another magazing publication, Game Informer (in their most recent issue) gave the biggest flop of the year award to the 360 itself for STILL, after all this time and "improvements", breaks down for people.

In no other industry would this be acceptable. A failure rate of 30+ percent would never be allowed but we, as blind gaming consumers, just lap it up, bend over and accept what's coming (I'm guilty too!).

We can never let Microsoft forget how angry we are about this problem. We can never let them live it down. If you stick your head in the sand they won't learn their lesson. Microsoft has a history of this anyway, especially in the operating system world. Almost every Windows OS has been riddled with bugs yet people accept it (until Vista, thank god. Vista has been such a mess they've decided to move on to Windows 7 much earlier than intended).

Microsoft is too big for their britches and we, as consumers, need to start putting our foot down and letting them get away with this.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

I say I'm not biased because I own a PS3 and have purchased two 360s, an original pro and then an arcade for the hdmi that the original pro never had when I got my 42 inch lcd.

I love BOTH systems and I love the exclusives on both systems. Hell, as I said I loved my 360 so much I bought ANOTHER just to have the hdmi.

HOWEVER, there is one thing I will never forgive Microsoft for and this is why I can respect Sony more. I know this has been hashed and rehashed here but quite frankly this can never be said enough. Period.

The failure rates on the 360 are unacceptable. Quite frankly Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for putting out this shoddy piece of engineering. The simple fact I can consider myself LUCKY for only having to send my original 360 in ONCE says a lot. The 360 is cheaper but it is also more cheaply built. You get what you pay for. I bring this up because yet another magazing publication, Game Informer (in their most recent issue) gave the biggest flop of the year award to the 360 itself for STILL, after all this time and "improvements", breaks down for people.

In no other industry would this be acceptable. A failure rate of 30+ percent would never be allowed but we, as blind gaming consumers, just lap it up, bend over and accept what's coming (I'm guilty too!).

We can never let Microsoft forget how angry we are about this problem. We can never let them live it down. If you stick your head in the sand they won't learn their lesson. Microsoft has a history of this anyway, especially in the operating system world. Almost every Windows OS has been riddled with bugs yet people accept it (until Vista, thank god. Vista has been such a mess they've decided to move on to Windows 7 much earlier than intended).

Microsoft is too big for their britches and we, as consumers, need to start putting our foot down and letting them get away with this.

Xalaten
atleast microsoft had an ounce of respect for its consumers to fix/replace it for free but the overall situation is absolutly unnacceptable
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I've had PS3's and Xbox 360's crap out, so they're both unacceptable, imo. I want my old cartridge-based systems back! :x Master System, Genesis, SNES, and N64 never gave me these problems! The heat, plus the constant spinning of the disc, it causes things to decline quicker.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Yes, it is disgusting. If they repeat such nonsense with the 720, I want them out of the industry. But that probably won't happen.
xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Yeah the failure rate is bad, MS fixes it.

The PS2 had issues at launch and PS fixed it for free for a lot of people but as problems continued for PS2 sony stopped fixing it. Same as MS, my PS2 slim broke like 2 yrs ago and Sony said it would be cheaper to by a new one, so I bought a 360

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
It's terrible, but sad for Sony that I (and many people) would still choose the "shoddy" hardware over a PS3.
Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dingerious
Member since 2009 • 685 Posts

I say I'm not biased...

Xalaten
lmao
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I agree that MS really dropped the ball when it came to hardware reliability this generation. Hopefully they learned their lesson.
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
yeah the 360 failure rate sucks eggs and its one of the largest reasons as to why i prefer the PS3 by quite a big margin. that said, my 360 has only broken down once in the 6.5 months that i've owned it. maybe its luck...
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I liked Armageddon.

Esp. the part where the Russian dude is hammering away at the space station.

kerpal_cz

Yeah it went something like this:

"Russian parts, American parts, heh all made in Japan!"

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
While I agree that MS really screwed up when it comes to the 360s reliability. I'm wondering how many PS3 owners have problems with the disc drive. I personally dont know that many people who own a PS3 (only 5). But two of those people have a non-functional PS3 due to the Blu-ray drive not working anymore. I dont think the problem is as widespread as RROD and E74, but I wouldnt be surprised if its a pretty big problem also.
jasonheyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 jasonheyman
Member since 2006 • 1683 Posts
If MS made the same mistakes twice they would probably lose a lot of fanbase, I don't think they would be that dumb :?
Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
I've been getting pissed at them lately cause my DVD drive died and their customer service sucks and it takes forever for them to fix it. I heard Sony just sends you a new PS3 like 3 days later after you send your broken one, sounds like a superior policy.
RuinedMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RuinedMachine
Member since 2008 • 622 Posts
I've had PS3's and Xbox 360's crap out, so they're both unacceptable, imoBioShockOwnz

lol you've had multiple PS3s crap out on you? Excuse me while I don't believe you.
And did you replace them? All of them?

Of course in your opinion.
FFVIIROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 FFVIIROCKS
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
Yeah I hate living in fear everytime I turn on my 360. Its got the newer chip... Falcon i think its called. But I know it will die eventually.. I will be pleased with at least 2 years out of it... it its anything under a year that is insane and unacceptable.
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

Jasper fixes it, it's cheaper to produce and makes MS money. The money put aside by MS to deal with the RRoD problem will be offset against taxes so it's not all bad for them!!

But lets be honest RRoD is the ONLY piece of amunition cows have against the 360 so they use it lots to justify the failure of sony to match the PS2s global dominence. Not to mention the fact it lacks 3rd party developer support.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
Yes, it is disgusting. If they repeat such nonsense with the 720, I want them out of the industry. But that probably won't happen.Floppy_Jim
A huge PS3 fan wants MS out of the business...shocker. Let me guess though you were not saying the same thing about Sony when they were being sued over the PS2 hardware problems.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I agree with what you are saying. I just wanted to point out that owning everything doesn't make you no biased. It just means you own everything.

I've seen some of the most inaccurate, biased and fanboys comments coming from people who claim to own all the consoles.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

I've had PS3's and Xbox 360's crap out, so they're both unacceptable, imo. I want my old cartridge-based systems back! :x Master System, Genesis, SNES, and N64 never gave me these problems! The heat, plus the constant spinning of the disc, it causes things to decline quicker.BioShockOwnz
The N64 Controller / joystick broke on a total of 5 controllers at my friends house, didn't snap oh no just went unresponsive.....Worst controller ever IMO console it self tho yeah never broke. My friends PS3 broke down, Sony fixed / replaced it for free so yeah they do replace for free but he did have a specific error message which had nothing todo with how he used the console! So maybe Sony only replace certain faults while blaming others on the consumer?

Can-o-Mark

Thats exactly the problem with my freind's PS3, they have replaced it for free mind / repaired ... We cant tell lol they cleaned it maybe?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Yes, it is disgusting. If they repeat such nonsense with the 720, I want them out of the industry. But that probably won't happen.rybe1025
A huge PS3 fan wants MS out of the business...shocker. Let me guess though you were not saying the same thing about Sony when they were being sued over the PS2 hardware problems.

My experience: 3 RROD's in a year No DRE's in 6 years I'll make sure not to criticise Lord Microsoft when you're around.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

Jasper fixes it, it's cheaper to produce and makes MS money. The money put aside by MS to deal with the RRoD problem will be offset against taxes so it's not all bad for them!!

But lets be honest RRoD is the ONLY piece of amunition cows have against the 360 so they use it lots to justify the failure of sony to match the PS2s global dominence. Not to mention the fact it lacks 3rd party developer support.

Nomad0404
i really hope so, i just bought me first new 360 a couple weeks ago, and its a jasper chipset, hope it keeps goin strong for the rest of this gen, or il be one unhappy buck
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="Xalaten"]

kidcool189

atleast microsoft had an ounce of respect for its consumers to fix/replace it for free but the overall situation is absolutly unnacceptable

I wouldn't say it's respect. It's more likely that the lawyers for MS stated that they would without doubt lose a case in court if this was brought up and they had their accountants crunch the numbers for them. It probably would have been more expensive than the $1 billion they used to offer the 3 year warranty to make a complete recall of all the systems out there and actually provide working units. So it was definitely a decision based on money rather than respect.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Sony has gotten away with crap hardware for years. Why is it suddenly unacceptable? (It is) I've had more expensive hardware from Sony crap out on me.It's not like they are the supreme architects of superior technology or anything.
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts
[QUOTE="Xalaten"]

Yep. The next console will be under a microscope for this, and it had best stand up to the test. However, the masses do not agree with Halo and Gears being overrated. Nor do I. :)
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

I not biased cause i own stock in Sony and i can say one thing i hate them for bundling blu-ray, THERE SCUM, SCUM I SAY,..but I own stock so It's ok I'm not biased. I swear.

lizard1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 lizard1192
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I know loads of folk that have had 360s and they've broke .One of my wee brothers freinds infact has had 7 360s in 3 years :shock:but although some 360 break down for no real reason I think alot of the 360s reliability issues are to do with the main kind of people who buy them:hardcore gamers.Hardcore gamers who leave there 360 on for 5 hrs plus at a time and then get supprised when it breaks:roll: its understandable .

Out of all the people I know that own Ps3s most of them seem to be alot less into games and just play them like two or three times a week. Funnily enough the only person Ive ever heard of whos Ps3 has broken on them pretty much plays it all the time and so he kinda deserves it.

I remember at the time of the Dreamcast really wanting one but not buying one due to scare stories that were going around at the time about reliablity issues .Anyway 2 years ago I bought one pre-owned for around £20 and (appart from being used to play non stop Jet Set radio and Sonic advenure)it has broken down on pretty much a mounthly basis but all I have to do each time it breaks down is just take it appart and clean this wee chip in the bottom corner and it runs fine for a wee while.

So the moral of the story is that if you want a reliable console go and buy a Dreamcast and you can just fix it when it "breaks"

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Yes, it is disgusting. If they repeat such nonsense with the 720, I want them out of the industry. But that probably won't happen.rybe1025

My thoughts exactly so count it plus one !
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
Giving that MS lost over 1 billion dollars on their failure rates of the 360 I highly doubt they are going to forget it anytime soon. I also highly doubt that they'll have the same design and inadequate cooling as they did with the 360's.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
Owning all systems dosnt mean you dont have a favorite. But only in the real world that this is true. On here if you say you own all. People will agree. :?
Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts

Well what do you Microsoft to do :|

They fix your console for free for unlimited amount of times

They Released a 65nm version so RPOD doesn't happen

Their is not much more they can do, stop your pouting and be glad that they treat their costumers with atleast some respect, unlike SONY.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xalaten

Let us be VERY clear about one thing folks and lets take the fanboy blinders off.

The ONLY reason Microsoft extended the warranty is due to the threats of massive class action lawsuits that would have hurt them much more financially.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xalaten

If MS made the same mistakes twice they would probably lose a lot of fanbase, I don't think they would be that dumb :?jasonheyman

Umm, they have done it with every Operating system except XP and even XP wasn't completely bug free at release.

Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
Yes, it is disgusting. If they repeat such nonsense with the 720, I want them out of the industry. But that probably won't happen.Floppy_Jim
after billions spent on repairs, I'm sure it's their #2 priority.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#36 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

If MS made the same mistakes twice they would probably lose a lot of fanbase, I don't think they would be that dumb :?jasonheyman

Microsoft has released some pretty awful products before.

Like Windows ME.

Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts

Xalaten
I agree. We should definitely let them get away with this stuff. I'm going to start putting my foot down today. Thanks for writing this.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
Um...just wanted to point out...owning more than one system in no way makes you unbiased. Everyone is biased in some way, no matter how many systems they own, there's always going to be one they enjoy more than the others.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
Um...just wanted to point out...owning more than one system in no way makes you unbiased. Everyone is biased in some way, no matter how many systems they own, there's always going to be one they enjoy more than the others.The_Game21x
I disagree. I find my preferences are temporary...and a function of where the games I want to play currently are. so really, I'm just a follower of good games.
Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xalaten

JediRiff
Yep. The next console will be under a microscope for this, and it had best stand up to the test. However, the masses do not agree with Halo and Gears being overrated. Nor do I. :)

The masses also love McDonald's and I think it's shlock.

It's just an opinion. I really did like both Gears. I just didn't think they were the greatest things ever like so many people. The gameplay was a bit too slow for me and repetitive in both of them (move from one set piece to the next hiding behind things and popping out to slowly wear the other side down). On top of that I HATED the rails shooter parts in Gears 2. My God that was some really horrible controlling crap.

Halo I have nothing nice to say about. I hated it with a passion but I was used to Half Life 2 back then so it ruined me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for Resistance either but that wasn't as hyped as Halo and Gears so it can't be "overrated" if it's as hyped.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xalaten

Um...just wanted to point out...owning more than one system in no way makes you unbiased. Everyone is biased in some way, no matter how many systems they own, there's always going to be one they enjoy more than the others.The_Game21x

So far I have enjoyed my 360 more. I've had it a year longer and played more games on it I've enjoyed.

I've barely touched my PS3 since Tales of Vesperia has come out (I'm at the mountain where you meet back up with Judith, this is a LOOOONG game).

I have no bias. If anything I'm biased, game wise, with my 360. I just think people ignoring the shoddiness of Microsoft's products over the last 20 years is embarassing. Again, I'm guilty too. However, I put my foot down with Vista and thankfully so. I wouldn't touch that mess with YOUR computer.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
[QUOTE="rybe1025"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Yes, it is disgusting. If they repeat such nonsense with the 720, I want them out of the industry. But that probably won't happen.SecretPolice

To be fair, Id never even heard of PS2 hardware problems until I came on System Wars and all my friends had PS2s so...
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="rybe1025"]A huge PS3 fan wants MS out of the business...shocker. Let me guess though you were not saying the same thing about Sony when they were being sued over the PS2 hardware problems.Indie_Hitman

To be fair, Id never even heard of PS2 hardware problems until I came on System Wars and all my friends had PS2s so...

yeah same with me, i had my PS2 since launch and its still going strong to this day. although not as strong as it used to of course.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]My thoughts exactly so count it plus one !idontbeliveit

yeah same with me, i had my PS2 since launch and its still going strong to this day. although not as strong as it used to of course.

lol is your name from the sitcom one foot in the grave?
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

bah, sony got the PS2 DRE, MS RROD, the trick apparently is to get it right on your 3rd console (PS3) which MS hasn't made yet.

give them the credit you extended to sony last gen after hardware shortages and a reported failure rate of 70% at launch as cited in the legal documents for the class action suit. keep in mind DRE was still a problem for the SLIM units years later.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="rybe1025"]A huge PS3 fan wants MS out of the business...shocker. Let me guess though you were not saying the same thing about Sony when they were being sued over the PS2 hardware problems.Indie_Hitman

so i guess you didn't get them at launch :P google the legal documents. that or you were lucky and got the 3/10 that weren't DRE units during the first 6 months.
Edwardo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Edwardo212
Member since 2003 • 78 Posts

I had my PS2 since launch and it was kicking until mid 2008. I can only hope my ps3 makes it that long, but I am not holding my breath.

Halo is trash and GoW 1 and 2 are overrated BUT they are great games. GoW2 has great graphics and good multiplayer when it didn't take an hour to match up and you did not have huge amounts of lag. I just cannot see how so many gamers live on those two games.

Frankly, now is the best time to own or buy either system.

360: mostly no more rrod, good game collection, and cheaper online rates (I saw some crap about amazon selling yearly live suscriptions for $20 less?)

PS3: the best games for it are out or soon to come out, home is finally available, and blu ray movies are cheaper now.

So overall if you own either system be happy that the worst is over.......hopefully.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts
MS isn't a hardware company and it shows. The Xbox was really just a PC with off the shelf parts while the 360 has engineered by MS themselves to a much greater extent. If you read some of the insider stories the management vastly underestimated the amount of testing needed and overestimated their ability to correct flaws on the production line. Next generation hopefully they will be older and wiser and will build in much more time for testing in the development schedule.
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

Same here. I didn't even know there were such thing as DRE until o7 here on SW. I had the original ps2 then the slim version to replace the original one because it fell off my top drawer when my bro stepped on the wire of my DualShock 2, even so I did not experience the DRE then.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
I own all 3 consoles, and i still admit im xbox biased:oshock!