Are you a fan of Sony's cinematic approach to single player campaigns?

• 118 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45263 Posts

It seems to me that Sony's background in movies plays a big part in their first party games. If you look at games like Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, Spider Man, Ratchet and Clank, Detroit Become Human, etc, they are all heavily cinematic. I actually do like this aspect of their games, because their games are still fun to play, and the story makes them even cooler. It's also nice to see the effort being made for single player. We really don't see much of this from Microsoft and Nintendo in my opinion, although it's hard for me to imagine Nintendo doing that lol. What are your thoughts, SW? Do you find that this approach makes the games better or do you think they interfere with the experience? I'm not making an argument for all games being this way, but it's great to see it occasionally.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@gordonfreeman said:

It becomes a bad thing when it's the embodiment of almost everything you release, these independent identities that games have start to get lost and blur lines with other games and it becomes a meld of sameness.

I'm not saying you can't like that, but too much of something is never good.

dynamitecop makes sense here.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: "Do you find that this approach makes the games better or do you think they interfere with the experience?"

I'll pick interference with the experience. Uncharted 4's SP is an example of why I'm glad in paid $20 used back in April.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I agree with you TC.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24968 Posts

Absolutely no. I want my games to remain games. not to wanna be hollywood movies.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

No , not at all

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

No, I hate it. It's like CoD

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

yes and no. Yes in that I will play one of their movie games if it's good. No in that I usually only play one and if it's a series like uncharted I feel like after i've played one i've played them all and since there is no multiplayer component I usually skip it unless i give in to the hype

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

I want games, not interactive movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Not personally, no but many people love them and there are still games that I like so it's all good.

Edit: to expand on this a little, it's the lack of freedom over a given situation and the divide of pacing between two different paradigms. I don't mind entering a cut-scene before a long stretch of game-play but cinematic games often blur the lines between cinematics and game-play meaning you're constantly jolted in and out of interactive and less-interactive situations.

See Uncharted where you have long stretches of climbing, cut-scenes and walking before the actual meatiest part of third person shooting. I'm not personally into this. I'd rather be mostly in control with plenty of freedom and options and then occasionally have breaks with cut-scenes to drive the context.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Games are for playing, and movies are for watching..

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I want to play games

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I love pressing X for emotion.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

It's probably the sole reason I haven't bought a Ps4 this gen, I wore out of those games after 3 Uncharted games and 1 TLOU on the Ps3.

People keep going on about Sony having amazing exclusives, when I just see one game spread out across different names.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Lol. I love these threads.

If I ever stumble into one these cult meetings where everyone sits in a circle chanting how much they hate video game stories, movie games, QTE's etc... I'm running like hell. Probably sacrifice me to their gameplay gods.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I prefer games with a good story so Sony's approach is right up my alley.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I usually skip most cut-scenes or ignore stories in games because the writing standard is still so poor, so when it takes up a large part of a title, I usually have no interest in it.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

I love reading novels, watching movies and playing games so any combination of the above done well is a win for me. I also think it's the future of entertainment and a way to give more credibility to gaming in the world of art.

Granted, I have nothing against games that focus mainly on gameplay either, I love them too but I think there's room for both approaches. I also think games that manage to tell a story through gameplay are a really special breed and some of the best games out there like Journey or Braid.

Having said that, thankfully Sony usually combines good stories with good gameplay and their exclusive offer is also quite varied, yes they have more cinematic games than others but they also have more variety than others.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@pinkanimal: But do you feel stories in video games are comparable to other mediums? :/

Perhaps it is early days and we will get better at it over time but personally speaking, I don't think Uncharted is the way to go. It's not taking a good enough advantage of what makes video games special. At least for me, I don't see them as the future of video games but I do think they have a place in video games it's just not very promising to wave games like Uncharted around like the best we have to offer...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

I love the cinematic approach! It shows how much love and thought is put into the single player campaigns! God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Twisted Metal and now Spiderman. All of Sony's exclusives are really fun to play to boot! They walk the walk just as well as they talk the talk.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@jumpaction: I think some games have great writing comparable to a good novel but yeah I agree that we are not there yet combining games with films although you have to start somewhere so I commend Sony for trying. Maybe uncharted is not the best example out there but is also not a complete failure.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I prefer a single-player game an interesting narrative, in general, so yeah.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

If you want to tell a story there is no better way.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Their games aren't any more cinematic than something like The Witcher 3, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Halo, Quantum Break, CoD, Battlefield...

Nintendo is the only exception

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

**** no, I hate it. I prefer games with good gameplay and interesting systems. Sony doesn't offer any of that except Bloodborne

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Once in a blue moon I'll want to play one but then I'm one and done. I didn't like UC2 or Gears, which everyone else seemed to adore. Running in a linear line from one set piece to another just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. However, lots of games I like don't appeal to those who enjoy these games and diversity is a good thing. Would be a horrible world if we all liked the same damned stuff. My guess is that it has alot to do with what you played growing up.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Im big fan of cinematic story driven games and SONY seems to excel on that. Hell im even fan of indie like story driven games. I prefer playing such games than see a movie or two big time.

Cant wait for Spiderman and Last of us 2. Spiderman looked amazing and considering how great was TLOU , i have high hopes for TLOU2

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

No I'm not, if I were I'd have a PS4, and the completely ruined GOW with that Last of Us bullshit. GOW was fast pace combat and awesomeness. Now it's just meh

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

I like cinematic games so long as the story is interesting and the gameplay is good. It's when the gameplay is dumbed down to the extent that it takes a backseat to the story when I start to grumble, Like in say Xenosaga series. The gameplay is incredibly poor. The Last of Us is so damn good (played it 6 times) because it has a lot of cut scenes but we're also experiencing the story through the gameplay itself too.

In the end, I think Metal Gear Solid games does it well, Hideo Kojima creator of MGS has always said that MGS series is supposed to be very cinematic and have lots of cutscenes but also good stealth of a gameplay to go with it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

Depends on the Game.

I thought Rachet and Clank did a great job with its cut scenes. They weren't too long and Quark's narration continued while you were playing which was pretty neat. (You could even go against the narration and Quark would Respond)

But on the flip side I really like Yakuza 0's story even though Cutscenes were long, however there was a ton of gameplay in between so I never really felt bogged down by the story. Horizon is the same way.

BUT I hate Uncharted. The gameplay is good, but there can be so little of it. Sometimes it just feels like you are watching a Movie and pressing buttons.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

The thing is, in this approach neither the story becomes so great nor the gameplay, if you can make a game with good gameplay and a story that rivals good products of cinema, then that'd be great, which I don't expect it from videogame industry, there's no Aaron Sorkin or C.Nolan in videogames after all.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#33  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2961 Posts

Generally I'm more about gameplay but I do enjoy MGS and I thought Heavy Rain was like, just awesome. I gotta pick up Beyond sometime.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#34 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I think that's part of the reason Sony just has not been interesting me this gen with their offerings.

I play games, not movies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

They're shite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@pinkanimal: There's only so much we can say when the game-play is a juxtaposition to the narrative. :/

Indiana Jones never murdered so many people.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I think they look great, but they may be using it too much. All although you might play a really good one like The Last of Us, rarely do people want to replay them. Making the used market swell with these games, making less income for Devs. They need to add a few choices or alternate endings, maybe some more DLCs releasing sooner than a year later to have people hold on to the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

There are only a small handful of cinematic games that I enjoy such as The Last of Us which was amazing, but generally I prefer the focus to be on challenging gameplay and I dislike too much story in video games. When I want a story, books and movies are much better mediums for that. And I feel that Sony focuses too much on the cinematic approach which is one reason why they are my least favorite of the three console makers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

I'm really not a fan of the linear Uncharted-style games. I just hate repeating the same thing. It's either too easy, or you end up doing the same thing with no other options. What's even worse is having to repeat climbing sections until you find the correct ledge to grab. The cinematic part is cool, but I think I'd rather just cut out the mediocre game play sections and watch it as a movie.

R&C and HZD are great

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

This topic to me seems to suggest there are no cutscenes in Xbox games, if so that's boring story wise

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

It entirely depends on the game. That being said, a game that is too far into cinematic territory can get old pretty quick.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#42 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I dunno. I like some of the approaches but enjoy variety. If I only played these games, I'd suffer burnout. But I play an open-world, free game like Breath of the Wild, then I jump to Persona 5 which is incredibly linear, and after that I'll jump more focused on tight gameplay like Dark Souls 3, and after that challenge I'll maybe need something more scripted and linear.

So as long as I have variety and the cinematic games aren't too same-samey, I'm okay with it. Loved The Last of Us, Uncharted, and God of War is looking great.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50594 Posts

As long as there is plenty of gameplay, and said gameplay is good, I like it.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I love them OP. I like good story and narration in my games. We aren't in the 80s and 90s anymore. Just having good gameplay and shit story doesn't cut it for me anymore. I need an extra reason to keep me motivated to beat your game. As long as a game is fun to play i have no issues with cinematic story telling.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69812 Posts

Ratchet and Clank has strong gameplay and all the cinematics are skippable with no down time. This new direction Sony is taking is a tiresome and overly samey experience. It is the main reason that I did not enjoy playing UC4 in spite of all the shit reviews stating that the game was less cutscene heavy than UC3 (lying mofos). Story is great but gameplay is the show piece for games and should continue to be the main focus instead of force feeding the gamer story to the point where most of your "gaming" time is spent watching or pushing forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-59457fcd449a9
deactivated-59457fcd449a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-59457fcd449a9
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

No, they're all the same. Liked it the first time but then realised it is just walking and talking.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I am totally burned out on Naughty Dog. I have a tough time calling what they make "video games." They're story heavy experiences with mediocre video game segments tacked on. If you want to make a story driven game, do something like Detroit Become Human or other David Cage games. Just make it an interactive story! The gunplay in the Uncharted series is repetitive and bland. The climbing segments are tedious and the treasure hunting, aka walk up to the sparkling thing, is just lazy game design and a way to pad out the game. The Last of Us is a little better, but the enemy and NPC AI breaks the immersion, which is holding back what makes the game special in the first place!

Horizon doesn't suffer from the Naughty Dog effect. The game has interesting gameplay that enhances the overall package instead of hurting it. I wasn't a fan of the old God of War games, but this one looks interesting. QTE's might water down the experience, but I will give it a shot. The same with Spider Man.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I have no problem with Sony's cinematic style of storytelling in their games. I can't play a game that doesn't have a good story and I'd easily get bored with go here kill this person rinse wash repeat. I think games like Uncharted and TLoU are among the best games that Sony has to offer. And why do people complain so much about climbing in games like GoW & Uncharted? It seems realistic to me. If you climb a whole damn mountain do you really think you can just walk on a path the whole way up? At some point you're gonna have to go vertical lol

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

With the exception of Naughty Dog games not really. The reason those games excel at it is because Naughty Dog has great writers.

I couldn't have cared any less about the characters and story in Horizon Zero Dawn if I tried.