Are We Too Quick to Judge the Kinect?

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gama_Forever
Member since 2004 • 2645 Posts

The hardcore gamer hates the Kinect. I don't own one. I never thought I'd be interested in it. However, Kinect 2.0 has me intrigued. Let me tell you why:

1. The Kinect will recognize you and your control scheme mid game without having to back out of the game or go to the menus. This is great for tournament play. 

2. If you say something in-game during DR3, zombies will come after you. (Imagine a game like Assassin's Creed where you're in the corner and you can whistle someone over in real life to knife them). 

3. It can take a full model of your dome-piece (head/face) in under a minute. 

4. It can recognize slight turns of the wrist. 

5. Quicker navigation

6. Skype integration

However, I'm also quite cautious. Not many games have utilized this Kinect. Many games are multiplatform releases so the Kinect funcitonality won't be there or will only play a small factor (voice recognition). Also, the whole NSA bit but let's be honest. Nobody cares about what you guys are doing on the Xbox. Nobody is really going to go out of their way to listen to some 11 year old privileged white kid trying to be MLG in COD, calling his opponents gay/racist slurs. But what perplexes me the most is the ability of developers to adapt to this new hardware. There will be a solid install base that would appeal to most first-party developers. Consider a third person RPG where you can control a character who looks just like you. You can literally walk around the world as yourself with armor on. Because essentially the Kinect can determine BMI and all that good stuff. It's not about what the Kinect was advertised as in the past. It's about what it is now and where it's going in the future. It had to be advertised as a gimmick because it was a gimmick on the 360. It didn't work that well. It was too expensive. 

I'm not going to sit here and do Microsoft's job. They're the ones who have to convince you all about the benefits of using the Kinect. However, I think that the internet never really thinks about much in a broader sense. I don't think people see the far-reaching implications about the first-party use of the Kinect. It could be a nice tool for the future. I do wish the console was cheaper though. Thanks for your time. Good day. 

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

No Kinect sucks.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Yup. Kinect is the future.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

PC modders are doing some awesome stuff with it.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

i think in 10 years from now, the kinect is something that will be a new standard for gaming.

however, right now, forcing it on people is not the best way to introduce it.

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

1. The Kinect will recognize you and your control scheme mid game without having to back out of the game or go to the menus. This is great for tournament play. 

2. If you say something in-game during DR3, zombies will come after you. (Imagine a game like Assassin's Creed where you're in the corner and you can whistle someone over in real life to knife them). 

5. Quicker navigation

6. Skype integration

Gama_Forever

And not one of the above is worth an extra $100.00.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5885 Posts

No Kinect sucks.

NathanDrakeSwag
No Kinect 1 wasn't great, which is why people are too quick to judge. Kinect 2 rocks We are already seeing cool stuff and this is just the beginning.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
People on here are quick to judge everything.
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tdkmillsy

[QUOTE="Gama_Forever"]

5. Quicker navigation

6. Skype integration

muffin200

And not one of the above is worth an extra $100.00.

Not one but all of them plus a whole lot more is easy worth $100.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
No, Kinect(lol) sucks.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

There isn't a single game I neither want nor want more because of Kinect.

I don't care and have never cared about Kinect.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

I don't know why but the name Kinect reminds me of some pet birds, or just a zoo in overall. Maybe it's because of that Kinectimals game. 

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

i just think the kinect announcement was ill-timed with the nsa controversy.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
That depends on how well the Kinect 2 tracks body movements. The first Kinect was pretty awful, but I'm keeping an open mind about the Kinect 2. It would be much better with a 3D device, which the XBox One isn't powerful enough to handle at more than 30fps.. But, with PC, Oculus Rift + Kinect 2.0 = Lawnmower Man :o
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

System Wars judges everything without any knowledge or experience.

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gama_Forever

wiifan001

You're missing the point. It's not about what it is now. Why would you ever invest in anything if there wasn't a market for it? There is no market for the Kinect right now because nobody really owns a Kinect. But what if the Xbox came out and like...millions had this Kinect. And what if that population continued to grow over time and these developers suddenly saw a reason to invest their time and money into this Kinect. I told you at the start: I, the TC, doesn't care about the Kinect. I never thought I would.

But what about the future? What if Skyping someone during Madden and then telling the Xbox to record the last play of the Super Bowl game in Madden's Connected Careers Mode without ever having to back out of a menu became a real thing that people did? What if a scary game saw your fear/emotions (Kinect can project your emotions on your avatar in game so if you smile in real life your avatar will also smile) and adjusted to said fear/emotions? What if in the single player game of The Walking Dead, the last part of the story involved a standoff and the guy on the other end saw your fear and pulled the trigger on you or your companion? There are things that can be done if the install base is there.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
What's the point for all of that if I cannot play it in my tiny room?
muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

i just think the kinect announcement was ill-timed with the nsa controversy.

drekula2

This is probably it's biggest failure.

Got a System that cost $100 more but can't promote the reason it's $100 more due to the NSA implications that come with it.

blackgamer1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackgamer1213
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

As a last gen and this gen xbox ONLY gamer (besides some PC here and there) I hate the Kinect. With every fiber of my being. Microsoft used the Kinect as a way to segue from quote en quote "hardcore gaming" to casual games like Kinectimals. Every E3 since Kinect has came out (except this past one) has been centered around Kinect. It made Xbox a joke. Now that's the past moving forward all those things you named that it can do I have 0 interest in. My controller or keyboard and mouse does everything I want it to do in and out of game. I don't need some stupid gimmick coming along and making me sound like some crazy person talking to myself. "xbox watch a movie" "xbox sports" "xbox play my game for me" excuse my language but f*ck that.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
MS has had yer to show what they can do with kinect and they failed miserably. Kinect 2 is nothing more than a spy device.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rjdofu

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

Gama_Forever

You're missing the point. It's not about what it is now. Why would you ever invest in anything if there wasn't a market for it? There is no market for the Kinect right now because nobody really owns a Kinect. But what if the Xbox came out and like...millions had this Kinect. And what if that population continued to grow over time and these developers suddenly saw a reason to invest their time and money into this Kinect. I told you at the start: I, the TC, doesn't care about the Kinect. I never thought I would.

But what about the future? What if Skyping someone during Madden and then telling the Xbox to record the last play of the Super Bowl game in Madden's Connected Careers Mode without ever having to back out of a menu became a real thing that people did? What if a scary game saw your fear/emotions (Kinect can project your emotions on your avatar in game so if you smile in real life your avatar will also smile) and adjusted to said fear/emotions? What if in the single player game of The Walking Dead, the last part of the story involved a standoff and the guy on the other end saw your fear and pulled the trigger on you or your companion? There are things that can be done if the install base is there.

All I see is lots of gimmick with no substance.
HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts
My oldest son loves the Kinect, and Kinect Sports has replaced Wii Sports as the go to party game for family gatherings. It is a really big hit for my family. I'll admit the traditional game support is lacking and the voice commands are cool up until the first time you're watching a show that keeps rewinding itself because a character on screen triggered the Kinect. What people around here have to understand though is there are a lot of people in America with families who would rather have a 360 in their living room because of the added family friendly features than people who just need another BluRay player with better graphics.
blackgamer1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blackgamer1213
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts
MS has had yer to show what they can do with kinect and they failed miserably. Kinect 2 is nothing more than a spy device.Rattlesnake_8
THIS
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

It's not so much that Kinect is good or bad, it's that it's being forced on us.

If it was a seperate product you can optionally buy, I don't have much problem with it.

Being forced to buy it as a package is a non-starter, I have no desire to yell at my tv or have a webcam in my living room.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
It threatens our hardcore ways. We shall take a stand!
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I don't think Kinect is terrible or even bad. But I just have no interest in it.

I'm still annoyed that Microsoft forces you to purchase the Kinect with the system. If they offered a cheaper version without the Kinect then I'd probably change my mind (still wouldn't be until next year at least).

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rjdofu
My oldest son loves the Kinect, and Kinect Sports has replaced Wii Sports as the go to party game for family gatherings. It is a really big hit for my family. I'll admit the traditional game support is lacking and the voice commands are cool up until the first time you're watching a show that keeps rewinding itself because a character on screen triggered the Kinect. What people around here have to understand though is there are a lot of people in America with families who would rather have a 360 in their living room because of the added family friendly features than people who just need another BluRay player with better graphics. HadOne2Many
Then feel free to buy it, no one says you can't, doesn't make it anymore important to others. Just don't force me to buy something that I won't use anytime soon, which is what MS's doing right now.
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

No Kinect sucks.

NathanDrakeSwag

So sayeth Mr. Super-Moo-Cow.

Seriously, why do you post in these threads? When have you *EVER* said anything positive about Microsoft?

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HadOne2Many
[QUOTE="HadOne2Many"]My oldest son loves the Kinect, and Kinect Sports has replaced Wii Sports as the go to party game for family gatherings. It is a really big hit for my family. I'll admit the traditional game support is lacking and the voice commands are cool up until the first time you're watching a show that keeps rewinding itself because a character on screen triggered the Kinect. What people around here have to understand though is there are a lot of people in America with families who would rather have a 360 in their living room because of the added family friendly features than people who just need another BluRay player with better graphics. rjdofu
Then feel free to buy it, no one says you can't, doesn't make it anymore important to others. Just don't force me to buy something that I won't use anytime soon, which is what MS's doing right now.

They're not forcing you to buy anything.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
What's the point for all of that if I cannot play it in my tiny room?rjdofu
Microsoft: "Why would anyone want to live in a tiny room!?"
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"]My oldest son loves the Kinect, and Kinect Sports has replaced Wii Sports as the go to party game for family gatherings. It is a really big hit for my family. I'll admit the traditional game support is lacking and the voice commands are cool up until the first time you're watching a show that keeps rewinding itself because a character on screen triggered the Kinect. What people around here have to understand though is there are a lot of people in America with families who would rather have a 360 in their living room because of the added family friendly features than people who just need another BluRay player with better graphics. HadOne2Many

They force customers to buy the bundle.
Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gama_Forever

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]What's the point for all of that if I cannot play it in my tiny room?blue_hazy_basic

I do admit this worries me too. I would like to attend a form of graduate school. To do so would require me to live in a dorm room or a small apartment. I don't know how/if the Kinect would work for me in that scenario. As of right now though, the 360 is in my living room and we have Time Warner so it would be very cool to kind of snap the tv shows and everything together and all that. The Kinect would work though I'm not about to get up and move around like Lebron to play a game after running around campus and all that all day. 

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

The first Kinect was not very good but they are doing awesome stuff with Kinect 2. I think it is gonna surprise people.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HadOne2Many
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Then feel free to buy it, no one says you can't, doesn't make it anymore important to others. Just don't force me to buy something that I won't use anytime soon, which is what MS's doing right now.

No they aren't forcing anyone to buy anything. You don't like it, you don't buy it. Simple really. Also part of the problem is people keep thinking of it as a bundled add on. They have made it perfectly clear now a few times that it isn't simply an add on and that it is part of the One.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

No Kinect sucks.

NathanDrakeSwag

useless gimmick spycam, id rather play with my controller than move my arms like an idiot.

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gama_Forever
[QUOTE="HadOne2Many"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"] They're not forcing you to buy anything.

No they aren't forcing anyone to buy anything. You don't like it, you don't buy it. Simple really. Also part of the problem is people keep thinking of it as a bundled add on. They have made it perfectly clear now a few times that it isn't simply an add on and that it is part of the One.

There are 3 Operating Systems and one of them is the Kinect 2.0. I suggest going to Major Nelson's podcasts and listening to the Xbox One architecture panel. It really helps to illustrate how it's been integrated in the system. I will not go so far as to say that this podcast makes it seem super awesome and great, but it could help those who go to every news post, put their hands over their ears and say, "lalallalallalalala Kinect Sucks Don't wanna hear it lalalalalalala".
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts

My oldest son loves the Kinect, and Kinect Sports has replaced Wii Sports as the go to party game for family gatherings. It is a really big hit for my family. I'll admit the traditional game support is lacking and the voice commands are cool up until the first time you're watching a show that keeps rewinding itself because a character on screen triggered the Kinect. What people around here have to understand though is there are a lot of people in America with families who would rather have a 360 in their living room because of the added family friendly features than people who just need another BluRay player with better graphics.HadOne2Many

This is very true. Not sure how many people there are on here with families, but I know my wife really enjoys the Kinect and we've had lots of laughs playing dance central. My son just turned 1 so he's a bit young yet, but I'm sure by the time he is 4 or 5 he would love something like the Kinect. I could see it being a family fun type thing for us.

Outside of that, I think the tech is awesome ad since its bundled with the console devs can rely on it being there and therefore would be more compelled to create some awesome Kinect features in games. I don't see it as a negative at all.

Lots of people here just lump it in with the other motion control solutions like Wii and PSMove (LOL, cows never want to acknowledge that abomination). Its much more than that.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"] They're not forcing you to buy anything. HadOne2Many

Except the fact that most games (which is the real meat of a GAMING console) will function absolutely fine without the Kinect. Kinect is an add on which improve other functionality that many don't care about.

"If you want our next console, you have to buy that piece of hardware along with the console, regardless of how unimportant it is to you", if that's not forcing customers, I don't know what is. Forcing means not offering a choice.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tdkmillsy
[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]MS has had yer to show what they can do with kinect and they failed miserably. Kinect 2 is nothing more than a spy device.blackgamer1213
THIS

Tosh trolling of the first degree.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]What's the point for all of that if I cannot play it in my tiny room?blue_hazy_basic

They stated it can be used in a smaller space than the original kienct(lol).
HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HadOne2Many
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] They force customers to buy the bundle.

Except the fact that most games (which is the real meat of a GAMING console) will function absolutely fine without the Kinect. Kinect is an add on which improve other functionality that many don't care about. "If you want our next console, you have to buy that piece of hardware along with the console", if that's not forcing customers, I don't know what is. Forcing means not offering a choice.

Choice is don't buy. I've already said that but you are refusing to acknowledge it.
Broomes70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Broomes70
Member since 2012 • 164 Posts

I am pretty excited for it

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

The hardcore gamer hates the Kinect. I don't own one. I never thought I'd be interested in it. However, Kinect 2.0 has me intrigued. Let me tell you why:

5. Quicker navigation

6. Skype integration

Gama_Forever

Well kinect has been out for 3 years now. In those 3 years no one has been able to integrate it into any of 100+ games it has support for in any meangingful way. No one ever said "Oh man now I can say 'throw grenade' instead of having to push a button!" And it has had 3 years to make a game, any game that is kinect required that could be more than a pile of shit. The only games kinect has ever done anything with that was useful was dancing games. So if they cant do anything with it in 3 years how is a new version going to help?

1) How many gamers that will buy an xbox one with the kinect will take it to a tournament to set it up for the express purpose of not having to load their profile using the controller?

2) You could do that already with the current kinect, its simply just using the microphone. The wiiu, 3ds and vita all have built in microphones in them but no one really bothered with that as a selling point because its stupid.

3) I dont see how this is a feature or worth mentioning as a selling point.

4) See number 3.

5) As opposed to just using the controller that requires virtually no thought and is faster than swiping your arm through the air?

6) Skype is for video and audio chat. The kinect has no use in that really unless its to navigate a menu in which case see my response to 5.

That is just a really sad list of "features" that are supposed to convince people to use the kinect. You really were scraping the bottom of the barrel for those.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rjdofu
[QUOTE="HadOne2Many"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"] No they aren't forcing anyone to buy anything. You don't like it, you don't buy it. Simple really. Also part of the problem is people keep thinking of it as a bundled add on. They have made it perfectly clear now a few times that it isn't simply an add on and that it is part of the One.

Except the fact that most games (which is the real meat of a GAMING console) will function absolutely fine without the Kinect. Kinect is an add on which improve other functionality that many don't care about. "If you want our next console, you have to buy that piece of hardware along with the console", if that's not forcing customers, I don't know what is. Forcing means not offering a choice.

Choice is don't buy. I've already said that but you are refusing to acknowledge it.

You do know it's not that simple. Lemme put it this way: people who buy the X1 are forced to pay extra money for an useless piece of hardware.
Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Will be great to create a boxer in fight night with a model of my face thanks to the wonderous next gen technology that is the kinect 2.0

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

No, it doesn't have a place in gaming.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

[QUOTE="HadOne2Many"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Except the fact that most games (which is the real meat of a GAMING console) will function absolutely fine without the Kinect. Kinect is an add on which improve other functionality that many don't care about. "If you want our next console, you have to buy that piece of hardware along with the console", if that's not forcing customers, I don't know what is. Forcing means not offering a choice.rjdofu

You do know it's not that simple. Lemme put it this way: people who buy the X1 are forced to pay extra money for an useless piece of hardware.

That would be your opinion. One that is not shared by everyone.

You don't have to buy the XOne and that is the option he's talking about. Don't want Kinect, don't buy the XOne. Kinect is integrated into the XOne and it part of it. It is no longer an add on but something tells me you weren't getting an XOne anyway.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I don't want to be the controller. I want to hold the controller like I always have. So I have no interest in Kinect. I also have no interest in Move/Eye Toy either.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HadOne2Many
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Except the fact that most games (which is the real meat of a GAMING console) will function absolutely fine without the Kinect. Kinect is an add on which improve other functionality that many don't care about. "If you want our next console, you have to buy that piece of hardware along with the console", if that's not forcing customers, I don't know what is. Forcing means not offering a choice.

Ahh, so now you are showing your true colors. "Useless" huh? You know this because you have already tried it, right? You already know that developers won't utilize it and it will in no way enhance games, right? So thanks for answering the TCs question with a resounding yes. Look if you don't plan on getting one or ever trying it out for yourself that's fine. That is your choice to make (see what I did there). Microsoft is trying to innovate, just as Nintendo tried with the Wii and Wii U. Did people complain about the motion sensor or touch screen gamepad? No, because they realized these were part of the system. If that isn't what you are looking for no big deal, just take your business elsewhere.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

The technology is great. It's being used for dick all, though.