Are We Too Quick to Judge the Kinect?

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Gama_Forever
Member since 2004 • 2645 Posts

[QUOTE="Gama_Forever"]

The hardcore gamer hates the Kinect. I don't own one. I never thought I'd be interested in it. However, Kinect 2.0 has me intrigued. Let me tell you why:

1. The Kinect will recognize you and your control scheme mid game without having to back out of the game or go to the menus. This is great for tournament play.

2. If you say something in-game during DR3, zombies will come after you. (Imagine a game like Assassin's Creed where you're in the corner and you can whistle someone over in real life to knife them).

3. It can take a full model of your dome-piece (head/face) in under a minute.

4. It can recognize slight turns of the wrist.

5. Quicker navigation

6. Skype integration

Gargus

Well kinect has been out for 3 years now. In those 3 years no one has been able to integrate it into any of 100+ games it has support for in any meangingful way. No one ever said "Oh man now I can say 'throw grenade' instead of having to push a button!" And it has had 3 years to make a game, any game that is kinect required that could be more than a pile of shit. The only games kinect has ever done anything with that was useful was dancing games. So if they cant do anything with it in 3 years how is a new version going to help?

1) How many gamers that will buy an xbox one with the kinect will take it to a tournament to set it up for the express purpose of not having to load their profile using the controller?

2) You could do that already with the current kinect, its simply just using the microphone. The wiiu, 3ds and vita all have built in microphones in them but no one really bothered with that as a selling point because its stupid.

3) I dont see how this is a feature or worth mentioning as a selling point.

4) See number 3.

5) As opposed to just using the controller that requires virtually no thought and is faster than swiping your arm through the air?

6) Skype is for video and audio chat. The kinect has no use in that really unless its to navigate a menu in which case see my response to 5.

That is just a really sad list of "features" that are supposed to convince people to use the kinect. You really were scraping the bottom of the barrel for those.

A few obvious things I should point out. Skype is an application used for webcamming. When two individuals webcam they use both audio and video chat. Kinect allows for both audio and video as well. Think of it as a front-facing camera on your iPhone or smart device. As for your response to 5, it would be much easier to just say Xbox Netflix, Xbox Play Hunger Games than to scroll through everything especially if I'm mid-game. Remember, we're not going to the Dashboard to set up music or video anymore. We can do all that mid-game. If you want to back out and use a controller to interrupt your gaming experience go right ahead (it's totally there and functional for you), but I can just play music by just talking to my Xbox real quick-like. 3 and 4 are really just indicative of how the technology has progressed.

The problem with you, and many people on the internet, is that you refuse to believe that technology gets better. Sometimes people reiterate on things that were broken or rudimentary in the past. Once they reiterate on said thing, it makes said thing better to some degree. Examples of technology that can be bought by consumers include televisions, gaming devices, phones, tablets, etc. These technological marvels have improved over several years and many iterations. Technology can improve!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

The hardcore gamer hates the Kinect. I don't own one. I never thought I'd be interested in it. However, Kinect 2.0 has me intrigued. Let me tell you why:

1. The Kinect will recognize you and your control scheme mid game without having to back out of the game or go to the menus. This is great for tournament play. 

2. If you say something in-game during DR3, zombies will come after you. (Imagine a game like Assassin's Creed where you're in the corner and you can whistle someone over in real life to knife them). 

3. It can take a full model of your dome-piece (head/face) in under a minute. 

4. It can recognize slight turns of the wrist. 

5. Quicker navigation

6. Skype integration

However, I'm also quite cautious. Not many games have utilized this Kinect. Many games are multiplatform releases so the Kinect funcitonality won't be there or will only play a small factor (voice recognition). Also, the whole NSA bit but let's be honest. Nobody cares about what you guys are doing on the Xbox. Nobody is really going to go out of their way to listen to some 11 year old privileged white kid trying to be MLG in COD, calling his opponents gay/racist slurs. But what perplexes me the most is the ability of developers to adapt to this new hardware. There will be a solid install base that would appeal to most first-party developers. Consider a third person RPG where you can control a character who looks just like you. You can literally walk around the world as yourself with armor on. Because essentially the Kinect can determine BMI and all that good stuff. It's not about what the Kinect was advertised as in the past. It's about what it is now and where it's going in the future. It had to be advertised as a gimmick because it was a gimmick on the 360. It didn't work that well. It was too expensive. 

I'm not going to sit here and do Microsoft's job. They're the ones who have to convince you all about the benefits of using the Kinect. However, I think that the internet never really thinks about much in a broader sense. I don't think people see the far-reaching implications about the first-party use of the Kinect. It could be a nice tool for the future. I do wish the console was cheaper though. Thanks for your time. Good day. 

Gama_Forever
The kinect will be great, for motion controlled gaming, something I don't want in my living room I do have my holodek already installed though
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="HadOne2Many"] Choice is don't buy. I've already said that but you are refusing to acknowledge it.kingtito

You do know it's not that simple. Lemme put it this way: people who buy the X1 are forced to pay extra money for an useless piece of hardware.

That would be your opinion. One that is not shared by everyone.

You don't have to buy the XOne and that is the option he's talking about. Don't want Kinect, don't buy the XOne. Kinect is integrated into the XOne and it part of it. It is no longer an add on but something tells me you weren't getting an XOne anyway.

That is my opinion, obviously it's not shared by everyone, but I'm sure as hell it is shared by many. I'm well aware of his point, but it's never my point from the start. It was never about buying or not buying, my point was about the choice of buying the system with or without the Kinect (the reason has already been stated: games don't need Kinect to function). I won't getting an X1, and this is one of the reasons.
Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Gama_Forever
@rjdofu it's a part of the Operating System. To buy the X1 without the Kinect would be like buying an iPhone without iOS.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 rjdofu
@rjdofu it's a part of the Operating System. To buy the X1 without the Kinect would be like buying an iPhone without iOS. Gama_Forever
It's not needed for gaming, until you can argue with that, consider my point still stands. And your analogy is flawed, because games are built upon iOS, not the same case with Kinect.
Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

No, it doesn't have a place in gaming.

Cyberdot
I dont think ignorance has a place in society but BAM there you go throwing ignorance all up in this bi**h.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Too slow. Kinect sucks.
Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Gama_Forever
[QUOTE="Gama_Forever"]@rjdofu it's a part of the Operating System. To buy the X1 without the Kinect would be like buying an iPhone without iOS. rjdofu
It's not needed for gaming, until you can argue with that, consider my point still stands. And your analogy is flawed, because games are built upon iOS, not the same case with Kinect.

It may not be needed for GAMING, but it is NECESSARY for the SYSTEM to run. Games do indirectly have to be built upon the Xbox OS (which requires the Kinect to run) to run like games did this gen. What I'm NOT saying is that every game will have Kinect integration. What I AM saying is that the OPERATING SYSTEM needs the Kinect and for games to OPERATE on said operating system, they need to be compatible with said Operating System.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Gama_Forever"]@rjdofu it's a part of the Operating System. To buy the X1 without the Kinect would be like buying an iPhone without iOS. Gama_Forever

It may not be needed for GAMING, but it is NECESSARY for the SYSTEM to run. Games do indirectly have to be built upon the Xbox OS (which requires the Kinect to run) to run like games did this gen. What I'm NOT saying is that every game will have Kinect integration. What I AM saying is that the OPERATING SYSTEM needs the Kinect and for games to OPERATE on said operating system, they need to be compatible with said Operating System.

If you're arguing in the "entertainment" standpoint, then true. But I buy my system to play games, if the games don't need it then a GAMING SYSTEM doesn't need it. Making it mandatory for the system to function is bullshit. Sure the operating system needs the Kinect, but the real question is why?
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

[QUOTE="kingtito"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] You do know it's not that simple. Lemme put it this way: people who buy the X1 are forced to pay extra money for an useless piece of hardware.rjdofu

You don't have to buy the XOne and that is the option he's talking about. Don't want Kinect, don't buy the XOne. Kinect is integrated into the XOne and it part of it. It is no longer an add on but something tells me you weren't getting an XOne anyway.

That is my opinion, obviously it's not shared by everyone, but I'm sure as hell it is shared by many. I'm well aware of his point, but it's never my point from the start. It was never about buying or not buying, my point was about the choice of buying the system with or without the Kinect(the reason has already been stated: games don't need Kinect to function). I won't getting an X1, and this is one of the reasons.

It's shared by the hardcore of fanboys. Real gamers would be intrigued by the possibilites.

Kinect is an integrated part of the Xbox now. It's not a seperate piece of hardware like it was with the 360. That would be like trying to remove the controller from the PS4.

This is no different that what Sony had done with DVD, BR and those expensive memory cards. They forced all of those on the users which increased the cost of those machines. You complain then?

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="kingtito"]

kingtito

That is my opinion, obviously it's not shared by everyone, but I'm sure as hell it is shared by many. I'm well aware of his point, but it's never my point from the start. It was never about buying or not buying, my point was about the choice of buying the system with or without the Kinect(the reason has already been stated: games don't need Kinect to function). I won't getting an X1, and this is one of the reasons.

It's shared by the hardcore of fanboys. Real gamers would be intrigued by the possibilites.

Kinect is an integrated part of the Xbox now. It's not a seperate piece of hardware like it was with the 360. That would be like trying to remove the controller from the PS4.

This is no different that what Sony had done with DVD, BR and those expensive memory cards. They forced all of those on the users which increased the cost of those machines. You complain then?

lol "real gamers' I'm done.
Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Gama_Forever

kingtito

probably. There's never a time when the internet doesn't complain.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kingtito

[QUOTE="kingtito"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] That is my opinion, obviously it's not shared by everyone, but I'm sure as hell it is shared by many. I'm well aware of his point, but it's never my point from the start. It was never about buying or not buying, my point was about the choice of buying the system with or without the Kinect(the reason has already been stated: games don't need Kinect to function). I won't getting an X1, and this is one of the reasons. rjdofu

lol "real gamers' I'm done.

Yeah, you know, those people that don't swear allegiance to one gaming console and play on all systems. "Real gamers" you're obviously not one of them.

I like how you skipped everything else. You MUST be one of the blind fanboys I'm talking about.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

The original Kinect sucked. Yes, i owned one, and quickly learned that it was garbage as a game input device. Kinect should have simply been sold as a Dance Central peripheral.

As for Kinect 2.0, who knows? MS has yet to show us any reason to believe it will play games any better than the first Kinect. Thats not a good sign.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 rjdofu
This is no different that what Sony had done with DVD, BR and those expensive memory cards. They forced all of those on the users which increased the cost of those machines. You complain then?kingtito
And they got fvcked in the ass for that, totally deserved it. So?
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 rjdofu
Yeah, you know, those people that don't swear allegiance to one gaming console and play on all systems. "Real gamers" you're obviously not one of them.

I like how you skipped everything else. You MUST be one of the blind fanboys I'm talking about.

kingtito
Yep, I'm one of them, your move?
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

The reason for the tepid, negative appeal is because its predecessor did not work as advertised, and there were no compelling titles for it. Many have the same expectation; will not work as advertised, nor will there be compelling titles for it.

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Gama_Forever

The reason for the tepid, negative appeal is because its predecessor did not work as advertised, and there were no compelling titles for it. Many have the same expectation; will not work as advertised, nor will there be compelling titles for it.

shellcase86
See this right here is a quality comment. I wish I could prefer you or something as a user. That was a solid post.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 kingtito

[QUOTE="kingtito"]This is no different that what Sony had done with DVD, BR and those expensive memory cards. They forced all of those on the users which increased the cost of those machines. You complain then?rjdofu

You like throwing your opinions around as fact, don't you?

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts
Why are we still feeding this guy? Everything that needs to be said has been. No one is going to change his mind or opinion. Hell the first game on the One that uses the Kinect as its only input device could score a perfect 10 on Gamespot with a 99 on metacritic and he'd still be here saying "Kinect is useless for gaming". If I recall there are already some really high scoring Kinect games on the 360 and that hasn't changed anyone's opinion.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kingtito

[QUOTE="kingtito"]Yeah, you know, those people that don't swear allegiance to one gaming console and play on all systems. "Real gamers" you're obviously not one of them.

rjdofu

Yep, I'm one of them, your move?

No point in going any further. Narrow minded point of views likes yours aren't worth debating.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

They are not stupid enough to release another poor kinect, its a learning curve, as far as the tech demo's go it really looks as though this is the product they wish they released years ago.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="kingtito"]This is no different that what Sony had done with DVD, BR and those expensive memory cards. They forced all of those on the users which increased the cost of those machines. You complain then?kingtito

lol what are you even trying to argue here? Did you think I'm a Sony fanboy? Yeah I just said Sony was shit and so does the Vita with their expensive memory cards (and btw, fact, Vita is a failure) and the PS3 with its shitty ass pricing. Son, I'm anything but a fanboy.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 kingtito

And they got fvcked in the ass for that, totally deserved it. So?rjdofu

lol what are you even trying to argue here? Did you think I'm a Sony fanboy? Yeah I just said Sony was shit and so does the Vita with their expensive memory cards (and btw, fact, Vita is a failure) and the PS3 with its shitty ass pricing. Son, I'm anything but a fanboy.

Son? I bet I have kids older than you. Anyway you may or may not be a Sony fanboy but you're sure sounding like one now.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 rjdofu
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="kingtito"]

Son? I bet I have kids older than you. Anyway you may or may not be a Sony fanboy but you're sure sounding like one now.

Man, you take that literally? What a joke :lol: Only a child would say shit like "real gamers" and inject his opinion on how others should act.
Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Gama_Forever
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="kingtito"]

He's sounding more like that suburban 11 year old white kid who screams racial slurs on XBL/PSN. He seems to just like to complain period. However, this really detracts from the overall purpose of the topic I've created, which has gotten a resounding "yes" from most people on here.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
For gamers who are interested in those features and it's technology, it's a wonderful thing. For hardcore games who just want to play games, it's not really needed. For bias trolling fanboys like NathanDrakeSwag, it's another M$ product they can bash because they have nothing else better to do with their time.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 rjdofu
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] lol what are you even trying to argue here? Did you think I'm a Sony fanboy? Yeah I just said Sony was shit and so does the Vita with their expensive memory cards (and btw, fact, Vita is a failure) and the PS3 with its shitty ass pricing. Son, I'm anything but a fanboy.Gama_Forever

He's sounding more like that suburban 11 year old white kid who screams racial slurs on XBL/PSN. He seems to just like to complain period. However, this really detracts from the overall purpose of the topic I've created, which has gotten a resounding "yes" from most people on here.

You can't even hold a conversation with me, don't talk shit like that. And yeah: http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29426841/microsoft-officially-denies-kinect-less-xbox-one-report?page=0#msg_35 Get out of your bubble and learn to acknowledge other people opinion. And don't your fvcking dare say they are not "real gamers". Bunch of hypocrite fvcks.
FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

No Kinect sucks.

NathanDrakeSwag
Its a hell of a lot better than MOVE and that hunk of sh7t Sony Playroom.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 kingtito
[QUOTE="Gama_Forever"][QUOTE="kingtito"] Son? I bet I have kids older than you. Anyway you may or may not be a Sony fanboy but you're sure sounding like one now.rjdofu

You can't even hold a conversation with me, don't talk shit like that. And yeah: http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29426841/microsoft-officially-denies-kinect-less-xbox-one-report?page=0#msg_35 Get out of your bubble and learn to acknowledge other people opinion. And don't your fvcking dare say they are not "real gamers". Bunch of hypocrite fvcks.

You sound angry. You mad?
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Gama_Forever"] He's sounding more like that suburban 11 year old white kid who screams racial slurs on XBL/PSN. He seems to just like to complain period. However, this really detracts from the overall purpose of the topic I've created, which has gotten a resounding "yes" from most people on here. kingtito

12 years old confirmed. No need to say anything more, boy.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

yes way too quick to judge, if it dies like alot of cows say like nathandrake, that mean the NUI will die off and we will go back to standard controllers and motion controls will be halted.   Maybe sony will do some really cool camera that is basically inferior to Kinect 1.0 and by alot.  

I think that Kinect will be something this gen that you wont fully see its value until you use it, and see how it interacts, and see what it tells you.   Casuals will flock to Kinect 2.0, North America isnt going to Sony I still contend.

ty_lat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 ty_lat
Member since 2009 • 198 Posts

Dose it have a sasha grey sex game? LOL

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 kingtito
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] You can't even hold a conversation with me, don't talk shit like that. And yeah: http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29426841/microsoft-officially-denies-kinect-less-xbox-one-report?page=0#msg_35 Get out of your bubble and learn to acknowledge other people opinion. And don't your fvcking dare say they are not "real gamers". Bunch of hypocrite fvcks.rjdofu

So you sound like the angry one yet I'm the boy? Yeah you mad.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="kingtito"] You sound angry. You mad?kingtito

So you sound like the angry one yet I'm the boy? Yeah you mad.

Pffft that's it? And I thought you would bring a decent debate, turn out just another filthy fanboy.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Give it a few years and we'll see if it goes beyond a flawed gimmick.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

im not sold on the kinect but im also not writing it off.

Im interested to see if it can justify its cost.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 XBOunity

Give it a few years and we'll see if it goes beyond a flawed gimmick.

dommeus

gonna be interesting to see what self publishers do with this.

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

We aren't "quick" to judge it, it had a bunch of years to prove itself and it failed... now the climb is steeper and having only tech demos for the kinect showed (so far) and no games doesn't help it either...

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I do not like motion controlls. I did not like them on the Wii, and I did not like them on Kintect 1.0. This time will be no different.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Dude it's been out for like 4 years and they still haven't found a way to implement it into core titles that amounts to anything more than cheap gimmick. It's a failure of a peripheral and only exists due to the Wii's success. It wasn't very well thought out. Smartglass does everything it does better, and it's less cumbersome. Does the Kinect really bring $150 worth of benefits to the system? No, not really.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

It's cool tech and could be used for cool little features but I still think it's limited gaming wise. I'm waiting to be proven wrong but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

The issue isn't whether Kinect is good or bad, the issue is that customers are forced to buy it if they buy an Xbox One.

As usual Microsuck isn't accustomed to giving customers a choice, other than "don't buy our stuff."

A few days ago I heard their stock was crashing and I felt bad.

Now I honestly hope they go out of business and make room for another company that is more consumer-friendly.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no, kinect blows.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#95 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
The Kinect has pretty much sucked since it's existence. Waiting for a dev to really take advantage of it. Speaking gimmicks and a couple of hand motions arent enough to warrant the purpose of it.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 XBOunity

Dude it's been out for like 4 years and they still haven't found a way to implement it into core titles that amounts to anything more than cheap gimmick. It's a failure of a peripheral and only exists due to the Wii's success. It wasn't very well thought out. Smartglass does everything it does better, and it's less cumbersome. Does the Kinect really bring $150 worth of benefits to the system? No, not really. AAllxxjjnn

first of all you are comparing last gens kinect to this gens kinect, so lets not say 4 years, this Kinect is far more powerful. IT has its own dedicated OS, it has an onboard processor, its IR is drastically improved to work in pitch black, it can detect your fingertip sitting down on the couch 10 feet away and it has your full view of you from toe to your hands stretched in the air as close as 1 foot. and now indies and anyone who buys an xbox one will have access to make games for that piece of futuristic tech. Cant compare.... get xbox one do yourself a favor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Kinect was terrible for just about everything beyond dance and party games. I barely care about any of the things you listed. What Dead Rising 3's doing sounds neat, but I'm yet to have it confirmed that that actually works reliably in various conditions. If this Kinect actually works, then it might be less useless than the first Kinect was. At this point, is it something I'd be willing to spend $100 on? F*** no.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]Dude it's been out for like 4 years and they still haven't found a way to implement it into core titles that amounts to anything more than cheap gimmick. It's a failure of a peripheral and only exists due to the Wii's success. It wasn't very well thought out. Smartglass does everything it does better, and it's less cumbersome. Does the Kinect really bring $150 worth of benefits to the system? No, not really. XBOunity

first of all you are comparing last gens kinect to this gens kinect, so lets not say 4 years, this Kinect is far more powerful. IT has its own dedicated OS, it has an onboard processor, its IR is drastically improved to work in pitch black, it can detect your fingertip sitting down on the couch 10 feet away and it has your full view of you from toe to your hands stretched in the air as close as 1 foot. and now indies and anyone who buys an xbox one will have access to make games for that piece of futuristic tech. Cant compare.... get xbox one do yourself a favor.

The IR/depth sensing camera horizontal field of view seems to be narrower than the 1080p camera. Also has this radius to it which makes it look like things might start getting flaky around the edges of it. Can see that at ~~3:40 in this video actually. Green dude's leg goes BAM!

I haven't seen the Kinect getting its tracking demonstrated in poor lighting conditions. Nor have I seen it stably track fingertips at longer distances. However I have seen how close you can get while still having the person's whole body in view. 30cm? No. Three times that distance? Maybe.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

System Wars judges everything without any knowledge or experience.

Bigboi500

And with surefire confidence. 

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts

The issue isn't whether Kinect is good or bad, the issue is that customers are forced to buy it if they buy an Xbox One.

As usual Microsuck isn't accustomed to giving customers a choice, other than "don't buy our stuff."

A few days ago I heard their stock was crashing and I felt bad.

Now I honestly hope they go out of business and make room for another company that is more consumer-friendly.

LazySloth718

Your not forced to buy Kinect. Its part of the Xbox One system. People need to stop thinking of Kinect as an add on this generation, because its not. And MS is not going out of business.