Are Knack and KZ really that bad?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

I enjoyed Knacked *shrugs* Its not this abomination that people make it sound its a fun little game and light hearted. As for Killzone it was fun the graphics are really good i didn't enjoy the story that much the ending was pretty good though.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@WadeFan:

@WadeFan said:

I have yet to play Knack, so I can't comment on that, however, I own Killzone and so far have been thoroughly unimpressed. I love my PS4 and think it is fantastic, but I've never liked the Killzone IP. To me, I never get why Sony pushes it but doesn't push the inFamous and Resistance IP's as much. (Although infamous is getting a little more with SS) I just thought that Killzone has great graphics with mediocre gameplay and poor MP and story and so far, Shadow Fall doesn't differ from its predecessors

Sony wants SO BAD to have a FPS exclusive. I often wish they'd let killzone go and try something new. They are great games but the world, enemies, and stories are just so bland and boring.

Yeah, I mean personally I thought Resistance (at least the first 2) were a much better set of games than the Killzone franchise but whatever I guess.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Knack has lame level design and boring combat but I played some of it and it's not as horrible than I thought it'd be. :/ I'd give it a 5-6, from what I played.

And it's full of jaggies. -___-

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

KZ is like $35 so ill grab it this Friday and see what's up (expectation are low as ballz)

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Can't really get into KZ atm but Knack was quite enjoyable. More fun than some of the supposedly higher rated games I've played in the past, so no, Knack is really not that bad.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Knack is soulless, probably just mediocre...not bad per se. Killzone is fine, but probably franchise fatigue...

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Ive enjoyed knack quite a bit (I might even shoot for the platinum).
Killzone Shadowfall is great, the single player is good at best, but the multiplayer is where it's at.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Knack sold more than mario and killzone sold our 2.5 million.Both are great. Only the most rancid of asshurt, think otherwise.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

Knack was the most hyped up piece of trash all gen. Can't even think of a good analogy to describe it other than comparing it to a porta john filled to the brim with 100 day old turds and vomit out in 110 degree heat with 100% humidity.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

for the first half Killzone SF it's a 9/10 game. For the second half the game feels like GG ran out of time and budget because everything is extremely dull, both graphics and gameplay. The environments start to become more and more boring and the encounters with the hordes of enemies super repetitive.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@blackace said:

@farrell2k said:

Knack is terrible.

Knack is not very good. I don't think it's a "4", but it's not a 7 either. I'd probably give it a 6, which is close to my Ryse score. The fact that the game's FPS drops to 14fps at times and was made by the man (Mark Cerny) who helped create the PS4 hardware is just sad. This game should have been 1080p 60fps and running like butter. The graphics are ok, but no where near next-gen. The game could have been done on the PS3.

Cerny was the director and writer of Knack, not the programmer or artist of the game.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

My guess is that they're not bad games, just mediocre or "okay". They are solid, and made well, but don't have any component to that separates them from the rest in a meaningful way.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Nah. The majority of people who hate knack and killzone are either 1) Immature 12 year old kids (or adults with their mentality) that think they look stupid, never play them but say they are stupid and 2) Xbox douche butt fanboys who have never played but still bash them left and right simply because they are on the PS4.

Knack was ok, it wasn't great but not awful. It felt like it had potential that was wasted. But its a launch title and most launch titles aren't that great because lets face it, most are knocked out just to get a game on the shelf for launch and nothing else.

Killzone was a very solid shooter that was fun. Again not great but not awful either. It was a solid launch title game for a new system that did its job of entertaining me, but I doubt Ill play it again.

In a year from now I doubt Ill recommend either to someone just buying a PS4, unless they are really cheap at the time.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

....I'm having as much fun with them as dead rising or forza i would imagine.

....I'm having as much fun with this as i would with the xbone i'd imagine. Don't want all of microsofts bs.

I dunno. Maybe if you were playing those games instead of imagining the experience you might be able to form a more reasonable opinion.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Yes. The PS4 launch titles are meh.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Yeah both of them are terrible.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Recently got a PS4 and I have no interest in either of them. I'd rather play nothing at all if given a choice.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

both are just as wack as ryse and dr3

4 games to be forgotten

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#69 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Shadow Fall is ok (looks amazing, though). Never played Knack, but going by walkthrough vids, it's too easy and basic.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#70 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Knack is terrible.

is it really that bad.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#71 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I played KZ at a friend's house and it was ok, but nothing special. Honestly I only played about an hour and lost interest.

I played knack at a GS demo kiosk. It seemed fun at first, but after about 5 minutes I exited the game and walked away.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@blackace said:

@farrell2k said:

Knack is terrible.

Knack is not very good. I don't think it's a "4", but it's not a 7 either. I'd probably give it a 6, which is close to my Ryse score. The fact that the game's FPS drops to 14fps at times and was made by the man (Mark Cerny) who helped create the PS4 hardware is just sad. This game should have been 1080p 60fps and running like butter. The graphics are ok, but no where near next-gen. The game could have been done on the PS3.

Cerny was the director and writer of Knack, not the programmer or artist of the game.

He was in charge of the game, which really makes him look bad in this case. Especially when a game like this drops to 14fps. He was suppose to be showcasing the power of the PS4 and that didn't even come close with Knack. Sure, I don't think it deserves a 4 just like Ryse doesn't, but it was definitely a failure.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Knack is horse shit. Pretty much everything wrong with modern games shoe horned into one terrible package (minus tacked on multiplayer, at least).

What? If at all, Knack felt much more like a throwback to the old days of gaming, I'd compare it the old Double Dragon games.

It's definitely not a 4. I played it coop with my GF and it was really fun, we both immensely enjoyed it. A 6 is a more realistic score IMO.

Killzone is good. It's not great but good and thus nowhere near bad. The campaign is pretty cool, nice set pieces and some pretty cool atmosphere. Haven't played the MPO too much; it's pretty standard and good to play every once in a while but nothing to get too invested in.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Killzone Shadowfall is fantastic. Knack is an alright platformer...just don't expect anything new out of it.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@WadeFan:

@WadeFan said:

I have yet to play Knack, so I can't comment on that, however, I own Killzone and so far have been thoroughly unimpressed. I love my PS4 and think it is fantastic, but I've never liked the Killzone IP. To me, I never get why Sony pushes it but doesn't push the inFamous and Resistance IP's as much. (Although infamous is getting a little more with SS) I just thought that Killzone has great graphics with mediocre gameplay and poor MP and story and so far, Shadow Fall doesn't differ from its predecessors

Sony wants SO BAD to have a FPS exclusive. I often wish they'd let killzone go and try something new. They are great games but the world, enemies, and stories are just so bland and boring.

I haven't played Shadowfall, but all the killzone games have been competent shooters with stellar visuals that push the technology. Killzone 3 had very solid MP with a ton of variety to it. Killzone mercenaries is simply put, the best FPS on a handheld. On top of that, GG crank these games out for each Sony platform, 6 games in 9 years isn't too bad. There is one on ps2, psp, ps vita, ps4, and 2 on ps3, all of which have reviewed and sold decently. Its pretty much a bread and butter franchise for them.

They are also working on a new IP now anyway, so we'll see if they continue to make killzone games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ConanTheStoner

@Puckhog04 said:

Killzone Shadowfall is fantastic. Knack is an alright platformer...just don't expect anything new out of it.

Is Knack even a platformer? I haven't played it, but everything I've seen of it just makes it look like a shallow beat-em-up.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Is Knack even a platformer? I haven't played it, but everything I've seen of it just makes it look like a shallow beat-em-up.

It actually is a platformer. Plays like a very simple platformer with beat em up tendencies, you had that part correct.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I'm having as much fun with them as dead rising or forza i would imagine. infamous and drive club coming as well as mlb the show. Xbox one has titanfall and dark souls 2 on the horizon. Seem to be pretty even. I like the ps4 stuff more personally.

so you can imagine how much fun you are having? wut!?!?!?!

anyway, kzs is okay. theres nothing wrong with it really, but there is nothing that stands out besides the graphics and even the graphics has some low points (wtf is up with the blood, ugly skin/pore textures or none at all). it deserved the score it got.

i havent played knack past the demo and they said that it doesnt get any better than that. i had fun with the demo so im not sure it warrants the 4. it was a 6 in my book

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ConanTheStoner

@Puckhog04 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Puckhog04 said:

It actually is a platformer. Plays like a very simple platformer with beat em up tendencies, you had that part correct.

Ah, I see. I might give it a rent when I get a PS4. Looks like it might be some fun co-op for a weekend.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I loved playing Killzone the first time. A solid 8.5 in my book, but I honestly haven't had the desire to go back and play it.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

@bezza2011 said:

Knack is a good game, ita fun and not serious, the game couldn't of been done on ps3, the guys made up so many small pieces which you can see straight through this could of never been done on ps3, mark derby already stated you never made the game to be a graphical powerhouse or the greatest game he's made a game for new gamers and a throwback to old platformers and that's what it is, we have all come acustomed to if a game isn't realistic graphics or a fps or a powerhouse in story telling its no good, but what it does do well is tells a good story and its a simple nice platformer 6/10, not played killzone yet but I'll tell you when I get it and complete it.

I agree. It's like playing a pixar video game. Closer than last gen. It's just missing those bells and whistles. I think we overrate other games sometimes when knack could have gotten an 8 and people would be saying how great it is.

Yeah it's kinda like playing a pixar video game...if all you account for is visuals and strip out everything that makes Pixar special.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#82 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Knack is decent. A poor mans Crash Bandicoot without the comedy, cool deaths, and cool character. But I am enjoying it. Shadowfall is a piece of shit. The single player gets worse the farther you get into it (After the train station it is so bad I was forcing myself to play it.). The multiplayer is fun but a little bland.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#83  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I wouldn't play Knack if it were offered to me for free, but Killzone is not too bad. It's not my favorite FPS, but they borrowed a lot of ideas from Crisis, making it more diverse from a Gameplay perspective. I really like the online portion most of all, though I do miss the weapon unlock system from part 3. The singleplayer was a tad disappointing, but it sure was nice looking. So yeah... it's on sale now, and I recommend it - particularly for the online.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Dark Souls 2 isn't on Xbone. 360 and ps3.

But I've been enjoying Knack and KZ more than Forza and Dead Rising.

Not to mention the lead platform is the PS 3 since it's pretty much reusing Demon Souls for a lot of things.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Sony was smart to have a platformer for the holidays, bad game or not.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Didn't KZ get like a 7? I thought 7s were considered good.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@clone01 said:

Didn't KZ get like a 7? I thought 7s were considered good.

i think lems are discounting A rated titles...AA and AAA scores now?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I have only played the knack demo for like 30 minutes and i thought it was a good game overall. It was better than i was expecting it to be and i don't understand all the hate it gets. As of now, i would give it a 7/10. I will purchase it some day in the future.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@DarthBilf said:

@Celtic_34 said:

@bezza2011 said:

Knack is a good game, ita fun and not serious, the game couldn't of been done on ps3, the guys made up so many small pieces which you can see straight through this could of never been done on ps3, mark derby already stated you never made the game to be a graphical powerhouse or the greatest game he's made a game for new gamers and a throwback to old platformers and that's what it is, we have all come acustomed to if a game isn't realistic graphics or a fps or a powerhouse in story telling its no good, but what it does do well is tells a good story and its a simple nice platformer 6/10, not played killzone yet but I'll tell you when I get it and complete it.

I agree. It's like playing a pixar video game. Closer than last gen. It's just missing those bells and whistles. I think we overrate other games sometimes when knack could have gotten an 8 and people would be saying how great it is.

Yeah it's kinda like playing a pixar video game...if all you account for is visuals and strip out everything that makes Pixar special.

I actually found it a nice easy going story, i think we judge games like these to more mature games, we really have gone away from child platformers and were alot more into depth stories and more mature themes nowadays, it's funny how much KNACK gets judged when the creator Mark Cerny spoke about how he didn't want to make a great blockbuster game nor is it the best game, he wanted an easy going game for young players and new players coming onto a console from a mobile gaming experience, which i honestly believe the reviews were never judged in that way and it's always compared to the big hitters.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

Knack = not good.

Forza = good.

Not comparable.

Different genres, different tastes! Comparing Knack and Forza is like comparing Spinach and Gummi bears! I happen to enjoy Knack for what it is and I enjoy Forza 5 for what it is!

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Killzone is pretty good. I would give it a 7. It's MP is meh though.

Knack... I busted on that game so much, then I got it for $30... Found out that it was really fun. I would give it an 8.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Is Killzone SF like Killzone 2? If so its horrible and sticking your fingers into a vice sounds more pleasing and satisfying.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@WadeFan said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@WadeFan:

@WadeFan said:

Yeah, I mean personally I thought Resistance (at least the first 2) were a much better set of games than the Killzone franchise but whatever I guess.

They need that "halo spark" of ingenuity, where it's instantly recognizable, and iconic imagery. Killzone has the red eyed helghast but..honestly I don't think anyone is that nostalgic over them after all these years.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#94 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Knack seems like a really great game for a younger audience, a thought that the devs had at the forefront of the creation process. Not every game is for this forum's main audience.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

i was the biggest Killzone fan since its inception absolutely loved the series and then Shadowfall comes along and destroyed all my nostalgia. yes its pretty. its also very boring and it has certain areas that are plain stupid like freefalling through turbines and too many take this battery from here to there areas that destroy what little pacing the game has. the battles are also very boring. game feels like they made a nice world to play in first but had to cram in the actual gameplay resulting in the worst killzone by far. giving it an 8 was generous the game is a 6 for the fact that its just not enjoyable at all

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@ominous_titan said:

i was the biggest Killzone fan since its inception absolutely loved the series and then Shadowfall comes along and destroyed all my nostalgia. yes its pretty. its also very boring and it has certain areas that are plain stupid like freefalling through turbines and too many take this battery from here to there areas that destroy what little pacing the game has. the battles are also very boring. game feels like they made a nice world to play in first but had to cram in the actual gameplay resulting in the worst killzone by far. giving it an 8 was generous the game is a 6 for the fact that its just not enjoyable at all

Not enjoyable would probably be like a 4 - 5. Any lower would imply the game is downright broken.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I'm having as much fun with them as dead rising or forza i would imagine. infamous and drive club coming as well as mlb the show. Xbox one has titanfall and dark souls 2 on the horizon. Seem to be pretty even. I like the ps4 stuff more personally.

I haven't played Knack yet, but I've seen people play it live on the PlayStation 4 and it looks good.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

@ominous_titan said:

Not enjoyable would probably be like a 4 - 5. Any lower would imply the game is downright broken.

i thought 6 since the game is pretty, it does run well but the gameplay is down right boring. the only feature i enjoyed was the OWL but thats just a gimmicky control i would have prefered an old school ghost recon type command for squad members

forgot to add the little robots you can hack and control-that was a really annoying part of the game.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Just started playing KZ:SF and the SP campaign is crap so far....hope it will get better.