Any Size External Drive on X1, Swaying Buyers Over PS4

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

My brother in law who was planning on buying nothing but a PS4 for the past year was recently swayed over to Xbox One because of the Xbox One's ability to support any size external hard drive, so he purchased an Xbox One 2 days ago and a 4-TB external drive to go with it.

While Sony's PS4 still only supports an internal swap of no more than 2-TB, even though they offer an external drive to be hooked up, you still can't play downloaded games from it and no forseeable update for external hard drive support in the coming months to change any of these issues, according to Sony execs.

This is a major blow to Sony and a big plus for Microsoft, just on simple installation alone, on X-1 just plug in the drive and X-1 instantly reads the drive, prompts the format and lets you select it as a default drive and done.

While Sony PS4 requires you to back up software data on USB stick, then remove PS4's plastic cover, then unscrew and remove original 500gb drive, and then on most compatible drives (samsung spinpoint 2-TB) for example you'll have to remove plastic housing and USB insert, then plug it into and screw into place in PS4, then put plastic cover back on and done.

Now aside from that, the max capacity drive accepted by PS4 is 2-TB, but the X-1 has no max, ya' wanna put an 8 or 12-TB go right ahead.....So this is bad news for Sony fans, because what it essentially means is that Sony wants customers to purchase future iterations of PS4 with Sony's manufactured larger drives put in and released by them alone.

Looks to me like Microsoft truly and finally has the upperhand on PS4 since launch....I may even follow in brother in laws footsteps, although i prefer PS4, i want the largest hard drive possible, especially with consoles that have mandatory installs of all games.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Nope, seen PS4s take 6 TB.

Plus it can use SSDs unlike the One. Plus neither console has games so who gives a **** about memory space right now.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Slimmin360

@Blabadon said:

Plus it can use SSDs unlike the One. Plus neither console has games so who gives a **** about memory space right now.

Show me one Video with a PS4 running games off a 6TB drive.......Link Please !!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

@Blabadon said:

Show me one Video with a PS4 running games off a 6TB drive.......Link Please !!!!

I believe you are looking for this.

Link

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

This is one of the silliest omissions from the PS4 in my opinion especially when it has USB 3.0 ports. External hard drives are more convenient, offer more storage (if you fill 500GB in the PS4 then get a 2TB replacement you've lost that 500GB straight away) and with USB 3 aren't even noticeably slower than a standard drive.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Slimmin360: Check the description here. I'll get you a better link later

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0097LG9U8?pc_redir=1407308801&robot_redir=1

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Well this backfired quickly.

Anyway i don't get why people would want to download games on either console at the moment given the prices and with disc games the PS4 has the upper hand with how much faster the installs are. I can delete any game i don't play often and just bang the disc back in when i want and it'll re-install as i play. HDD space is only an issue with stuff like movies for me which can be played off an external HDD anyway.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I personally enjoy the external option a lot better, simply for movie storage.I can unplug it, put movies on it or take them off with my pc and plug it right back in. I had 2 3 tb drives set up nicely behind my 360 all last gen with hundreds of movies and songs on them, i'll be doing the same with my x1 once I get 3.0 drives.

I sold the ps4 I had but if I was to get one again I'd for sure throw a 6 tb drive in one of them, it's nice being able to load the system up with games. I'd probably go all digital this gen if that was the case.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slimmin360
@PonchoTaco said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@Blabadon said:

Link

You obviously didn't read how this drive was installed or the reprocussions of using it. The drive in the video is hooked up externally yes, but it's not a simple plug and play drive, you need a, SATA extension cable, and a 3.5-inch housing just to install it successfully, and you still have to remove the plastic housing of the PS4, remove the old drive and plug the 3.5 inch housing into place and seal it all up again.

Then the PS4 can only be powered up by holding the power button on the system itself, and even then it's a much longer boot up time than should be.

It's not the simple plug and play that is done on Xbox One.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Deleting games to make room is no big deal to me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#12  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

OOOHHHHH TCHBO..........................OOOOOHHHHTLHBO.............................OOOOOOHHHHH TSHBO..............................OH shut up

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Heil68 said:

None of the conveniences are a big deal. But just exactly that. A convenience. There isn't even enough games out for this to be a problem for me yet.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I should have upgraded the ps4 hard drive right away, digital is convenient for me since it's an hour long drive to the closest place that sells games and they either don't get games at launch or only a few and they're gone right away

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slimmin360

@Heil68 said:

Yeah provided of course that the games your deleting have already been beaten and there's not much left to do with them, otherwise, suppose you bought 2 or 3 games at a time and were just so busy you didn't get a chance to play or beat even 2 out of the 3, but then there are more games coming out you wanted to play, and before you know it you have 5 games on the hard drive.

So i guess you'll delete games you haven't played or beaten yet, and then have to re-download them all over again all because you need the extra space.....well to me thats a giant pain in the ass.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Well not internally. You basically have to connect an external drive to the internal sata

And apparently doing so won't allow the PS4 to go into standby

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:
@PonchoTaco said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@Blabadon said:

Link

You obviously didn't read how this drive was installed or the reprocussions of using it. The drive in the video is hooked up externally yes, but it's not a simple plug and play drive, you need a, SATA extension cable, and a 3.5-inch housing just to install it successfully, and you still have to remove the plastic housing of the PS4, remove the old drive and plug the 3.5 inch housing into place and seal it all up again.

Then the PS4 can only be powered up by holding the power button on the system itself, and even then it's a much longer boot up time than should be.

It's not the simple plug and play that is done on Xbox One.

You asked him to show you a video of a PS4 running games off a 6TB drive..... and I provided.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Slimmin360

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Well not internally. You basically have to connect an external drive to the internal sata

Exactly so why bother, it's got to many problems to even consider doing it that way.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Exactly so why bother, it's got to many problems to even consider doing it that way.

Although you can get up to 2TB internal if you so desired.

I'd imagine an external would be cheaper though

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah provided of course that the games your deleting have already been beaten and there's not much left to do with them, otherwise, suppose you bought 2 or 3 games at a time and were just so busy you didn't get a chance to play or beat even 2 out of the 3, but then there are more games coming out you wanted to play, and before you know it you have 5 games on the hard drive.

So i guess you'll delete games you haven't played or beaten yet, and then have to re-download them all over again all because you need the extra space.....well to me thats a giant pain in the ass.

Currently with 500gb, I can get over 15 games installed. Maybe 12 or so if they are all over 30gb, which they're not. That's plenty installed at one time to play or to beat a few and move on, leaving the rest.

On top of that I don't by DD for consoles, at least not retail games so again it's not a big deal to me and I'll never need to expand either the PS4 or Xbone.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

"Swaying buyers" yea your brother in law accounts for everyone buying or thinking of buying a PS4, and what 2% of people who actually give a shit about or research this kind of stuff,even still PS4 can run an SSD though not necessary which XBone doesnt.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Slimmin360

@Solid_Max13 said:

"Swaying buyers" yea your brother in law accounts for everyone buying or thinking of buying a PS4, and what 2% of people who actually give a shit about or research this kind of stuff,even still PS4 can run an SSD though not necessary which XBone doesnt.

I think the hardcore gaming community amounts to millions of gamers around the world and they are very aware of the limited space offered on these two consoles that have mandatory game installs.

If not everyone gives a shit, like you say, then how do you account for the tons of video's listed on youtube of gamers showing how they installed an internal or external drive for their Xbox One or PS4 within their first year of release?

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I have a PS4 with 30 games, around 12 of them are full retail games, and I have 90GB left. I dont consider storage to be an issue. Mainly because games only take a 1 minute or 2 to install. If games took half an hour like on my X1 then it would be a problem.

Also if your simply looking to upgrade the storage on the PS4, you can always get something like this(follow link). Just simply open it and take out the hard drive, and put it on the ps4. My ideal replacement drive would be a 7200 RPM SSHD drive. ATM there is not many available, but once more of them are released I could see myself getting one, just so I can go full digital. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_01_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink20241-20

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Your brother sounds like an idiot.

He'll need that bigger HD because he'll never want to delete anything off of it. All things considering, it takes about 10x as long to install games on the Xbone.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

what the hell are u going to do with 4tb? i have a 500gb pc and find it to be plenty. my 250gb xbox was more than enough, i only ever used around 50gb

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

@ghostwarrior786:

I have 5 TB on my Xbox One. 500 GB internal + 512 GB SSD USB + 4 TB 5,400 rpm USB. I put the most frequently accessed games on the SSD and use the 4 TB for archive. I only buy games digitally and have subscriptions to Xbox Live and EA Access. The space should be sufficient for all games that I will download in the next few years.

evofire2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 evofire2007
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

I agree

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slimmin360
@ghostwarrior786 said:

what the hell are u going to do with 4tb? i have a 500gb pc and find it to be plenty. my 250gb xbox was more than enough, i only ever used around 50gb

All PS4 and Xbox One games are mandatory installs, these games can take up as little as 10gb and as much as 50gb each so, do the math it won't take many games to fill a 500gb hard drive.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@Slimmin360 said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

All PS4 and Xbox One games are mandatory installs, these games can take up as little as 10gb and as much as 50gb each so, do the math it won't take many games to fill a 500gb hard drive.

You don't really have 500gb,but let's say around 450.

Worst case scenario : 9x50 gb games or 45x10gb or something in the middle

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Games are already huge though. My PC is 1TB and the vast majority of that is games and I constantly have to delete shit. It probably wouldn't take long for a 2TB drive to fill up over the next few 2-3 years. External storage seems like a better way to manage that. Sony will probably add that eventually though.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Slimmin360

@mems_1224 said:

@lostrib said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Games are already huge though. My PC is 1TB and the vast majority of that is games and I constantly have to delete shit. It probably wouldn't take long for a 2TB drive to fill up over the next few 2-3 years. External storage seems like a better way to manage that. Sony will probably add that eventually though.

Exactly, which is why it's inevitable that both Sony and Microsoft wiill release future versions with much larger hard drives, because it is needed, it's just that now that there isn't much to play on either system, so no one is complaining too much, but they will when there X-1 or PS4 game collection starts getting in exccess of 20 to 30 games, then the whining and complaining will make itself known.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTSK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://imgur.com/a/JF5jA

try this

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Nothing a firmware update couldn't remedy, to enable PS4 to implement external HDD's of varying sizes.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50564 Posts

Lol, ok bud

tacoma1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tacoma1972
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

Wow. This has to be one of the biggest failed attempts at suggesting this gives the xbox a market advantage. You and your brother-in-law deserve a Darwin Award for stupidity if you actually believe the bs in your post.

Man MS should be running a massive add campaign to promote this oh master of marketing and propaganda.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

That has to be one of the most pathetic reasons for being swayed to another console I have ever seen.

"why did you buy that console then when you were wanting the other?"

"Oh well you see, in 3-4 years time, the 2tb in this console won't be able to hold all my games simultaneously as will be full"

Ever considered a firmware update could easily arrive in the meantime? 2tb is easily enough for a long while.

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

Seriously if you need more than 2 TB cuz you have too many games on your hard drive, perhaps you should get a life, get some sun (you may have an iron deficiency lol). Just saying...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@Blabadon said:

Link

Bu-bu-but his brother in law!!!? Uh - oh!

In all honesty, just like the PS3 Sony are just going to do a firmware update on bigger HDD sizes. It's old hat. I personally hate dongles and things dangling from my consoles if I can avoid it.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Nice try, lemming.

You can patch in external hard drive support. You can't patch in a user-replaceable internal hard drive.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

it literally takes around 2min for a game to install and u can have around 10 games installed on hdd anyway. how many games are u juggling at one point? at max i play 3 games at a time. i can understand if someone has a really hefty media collection so they need a big hdd but for just games it makes no sense to me

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@Blabadon said:

It doesn't really take advantage of an SSD from what I hear. The consoles have been engineered to work at best with a standard HDD according to a Toms Hardware article.

Although I like the way it works on the X1 because your internal drive doesn't go to waste, you just add to it, who cares enough about this to let it impact their decision? 500GB is fine and both have a method of dealing with extra storage if you need it.

4TB sounds like over-kill to me. I don't think I'd ever bother with more than 1TB, in fact a 500GB external HDD (so 1TB combined with the internal) sounds adequate to me.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

Cool story bro........

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Personally I would be bothered by the fact you can't remove the internal drive in the Xbox One, if it ever breaks out of warranty you are screwed and have to send the whole console back to Microsoft to and pay them to put in the same 500GB drive.

I think it has been mentioned you can't just put in a empty HDD yourself, the console wont boot. There has to be the Xbox firmware on the drive itself and the only way of doing is that is using a tool like DD to copy the drive to a backup, although using that method you can install a bigger drive internally using some partition resizing tools.

No idea if Microsoft managed to fix that or not, should be interesting when the consoles go out of warranty how much people will have to fork out to replace a broken hard drive.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

I've got a 2tb hdd in my PS4. :)

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

lol, 1st post thread backfire.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Probably not since you can put in many sized HDD in your PS4 and it literally takes 10 minutes or less to do.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Any size "internal" hard Drive sways me towards the PS4. I don't want no freaking external HDD. Those take up space.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@@AmazonTreeBoa:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Any size "internal" hard Drive sways me towards the PS4. I don't want no freaking external HDD. Those take up space.

Right, mine takes up a huge space 2"x6", and I still get to use the original drive, with the PS4 you just throw away the original drive. money down the drain.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts
@PS4TrumpsXbox1 said:

Seriously if you need more than 2 TB cuz you have too many games on your hard drive, perhaps you should get a life, get some sun (you may have an iron deficiency lol). Just saying...

Vitamin D. Vitamin D is needed for calcium absorption in the body. A lack of it could lead to osteoporosis. You primarily get iron from your diet.

Sorry, but medical inaccuracies are a pet-peeve of mine.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

My brother in law ...

Man. Your Sis must be a very patient and kind woman.