3DS vs NGP is/will playing/play out exactly like DS vs PSP

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bananaphone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bananaphone1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It's the exact same thing.

-PSP fans claimed PSP had better hardware and better graphics over the DS which is why it was the better handheld. DS fans shot back that DS was original and had better gameplay.

-Same thing is happening all over again; Sony fans are saying NGP has better graphics; better everything and 3DS fans are saying gameplay and experience will be better on 3DS.

So based on this, we can safely say 3DS will once again win over NGP.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

I agree, eventually I will get a NGP and forget totally about the 3DS.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Or maybe it could play out like the 360 PS3 situation. Nintendo fans claim the 3DS will have the win before the gen even starts (which really makes no sense to me) just like Sony fans did with the PS3 but PS3 ended up not winning, same could happen with the 3DS.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

the problem with the PSP was it was released without a second analog stick, so it didn't really do teh gaming bit right, the MP3 Player parts was a pain in the ******, UMD movies flopped, and teh Internet capability was ******. Now that thie new PSP actually can play games thanks to 2 sticks, if the other parts suck, it won't be such a big loss. And the 3DS is usless to me as my eyes are incapable of seeing 3D.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
I see a repeat of the previous war. 3D is the thing of the times and if you look around you will constantly see it advertised in movies, home theater and now games. Its something new and cool like the dual screens of the original DS and I feel it holds more water than just the NGPs uber graphics.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

-PSP fans claimed PSP had better hardware and better graphics over the DS which is why it was the better handheld. DS fans shot back that DS was original and had better gameplay.

-Same thing is happening all over again; Sony fans are saying NGP has better graphics; better everything and 3DS fans are saying gameplay and experience will be better on 3DS.

Bananaphone1

Based on that, we can sefely say your premises are faulty.

At least, the well informed can. No offense.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts
nope. its impossible to determin which will win at the mo and we wont see any sort of winner until late 2012 or so. at launch both are going to sell like crazy regardless of their final position in the market. market tastes and demands change. the NGP could get a killer app that ends up selling tons of systems. the next GTA, halo or brain training (not actually those games...those are just examples of big system sellers that the market soaks up). the type of market ninty and sony are going for could also be to all intents and purposes gone....taken over by apple and co. they could both be disasters. but the point about boasting about power and features and all that good stuff stands. as always the victor in the market will be determined by games. the DS and PSP were going neck and neck for a while. however a combination of the release of the DSLite backed by relases of mario kart, brain training and prime hunters was when the DS really began to sell like the clappers. the PSP had no effective retort. the NGP may win but it wont be because of power and features and dual analogue. itll be because of games.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Its been a clear repeat since day one. The 3DS will have a line up that can never be match (even if not at launch) and the NGP will have the graphics

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="FIipMode"]Or maybe it could play out like the 360 PS3 situation. Nintendo fans claim the 3DS will have the win before the gen even starts (which really makes no sense to me) just like Sony fans did with the PS3 but PS3 ended up not winning, same could happen with the 3DS.

Yep, I learned not to assume that the previous victor will win again after what happened with the Wii.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
Well if the PS2/PS3 has taught us anything its that if you win one generation you are going to win the next as well..... oh wait.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Well if the PS2/PS3 has taught us anything its that if you win one generation you are going to win the next as well..... oh wait.Zero5000X
That's actually true, but I think that one thing that everybody here forgets is that Nintendo has had a monopoly over the handheld market for far too long now. They have literally got over two decades worth of experience behind them, they've been at the top... systems like the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS.... I mean, it's been going on for three handheld generations now... I highly doubt that that's gonna change anytime soon.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

I sometimes get deja vu. It's like ds vs psp all over again.

DS - criticized for being gimmicky with double screens

3DS - criticized for being gimmicky for 3D

Psp - powerful hardware, cater to the core

NGP - powerful hardware, catering to the core.

Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

Looking at the games being released for both handhelds at the moment, the 3DS is looking superior, but that could easily change. I just have no use for the NGS right now because I can play the superior, cheaper versions of it's games on my PS3.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

Its been a clear repeat since day one. The 3DS will have a line up that can never be match (even if not at launch) and the NGP will have the graphics

LaytonsCat
Yep, lets entirely judge an entire system's life by its hardware reveal. Forget that they have touch surfaces, tilting, and the likes which the PSP did not have, forget that DS to 3DS is a much smaller jump than GBA to DS in terms of "innovation". Forget that the entire NGP demonstration was entirely based off using these touch surfaces and tilting, and not its graphics. Lastly, lets forget that its using cartridges, and assume its using a new stupid disk format, and that it still only has 1 analog. When you do all that, you are correct.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Well let's just say, the 3DS has a really good start.
No great launch line up, but more pre-orders than the wii.
And sony isn't announcing its price.
It won't be easy to catch up to a nintendo handheld that is selling well, months after it has sold well.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Well I bought a DS because I mainly like the casual games. I actually play tetris, mario, crossword games sometimes. I like pickup and play games that you can turn on play for 10 minutes, then turn off. I don't know how well Sony NGP can do this since they are just catering to the core.

gamer0100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer0100
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

Nintendo caters yet again to a broader audience BUT Nintendo is actually having a diverse launch lineup and future lineup. Its actually scary how good the 3DS lineup is. If you maybe passed up on the PS3, I could see getting an NGP. But in terms of quality gaming in terms of handheld and mainsream gaming The 3DS is really great.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 110million
BUT Nintendo is actually having a diverse launch lineup >gamer0100
lol no, the day one launch lineup is one of the most pathetic I've seen, its a bunch of sports game, plus pilot wings, and not much else. Their launch window is 3 months long, no normal person would consider 3 months to count as a console's launch, thats a whole release quarter.
_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

nope because the ngp is the real next gen portable. imho its going to have more games and better sales than the 3ds. sony has the momentum in 2011

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Well if the PS2/PS3 has taught us anything its that if you win one generation you are going to win the next as well..... oh wait.Zero5000X

Except for the fact that Nintendo has been dominant on handhelds for 25+ years, starting with Game & Watch. :P

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
It much different this time around. Sony lined themselves up to have both hardcore and casual games on the NGP. The PSP lacked many thing the DS had ..... NGP basically has everything the 3DS has minus the 3D. I don't doubt the 3DS will beat the NGP but it'll be closer than before.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 110million
It much different this time around. Sony lined themselves up to have both hardcore and casual games on the NGP. The PSP lacked many thing the DS had ..... NGP basically has everything the 3DS has minus the 3D. I don't doubt the 3DS will beat the NGP but it'll be closer than before. Nonstop-Madness
Yeah, they really don't differ by much outside the 3D, and since I don't intend to use the 3D very much, the difference between them will be entirely power (as hardware).
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

nobody can predict the future, this gen showed it better than any before, so we will never be able to agree which one will do better before any of them released oO I guess this gen handhelds won't be as huge as last gen with all the Smart Phones around, but we'll see. Getting both btw ;D

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Maybe, but NGP will offer a lot more than PSP did, more controls, more graphics, more options, better online. 3DS has the better gimmick though which will make it sell more (and I don't mean gimmick in a derogatory way, 3D screen is awesome).
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#26 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Some people do not learn from history and they are bound to repeat it. (Sony)
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
or it may play like the 360/ps3/wii....
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

If Sony keeps the NGP fairly hacker free, then it could be an excellent choice for devs. I just hope they manage to pull it off, and not have every update hacked within hours/days.

LuniasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LuniasM
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I don't see how the PS3 versions are already cheaper than their PSP2 counterparts when the prices haven't been released yet.
LuniasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LuniasM
Yes, Nintendo has dominated the handhelds. However, Sony was dominating the home consoles for a while as well and, well, you know... It didn't get the top spot this time. Who knows?
LuniasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LuniasM
Many people happen to forget that the PSP has a sleep mode, which is essentially the "pick up and play" thing you guys seem to talk about. I use it all the time if I'm playing and I have to stop for some reason. Besides, not ALL DS games are pick up and play, and there are pick up and play games for the PSP. Neither system seems to be lacking in that department.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]Well if the PS2/PS3 has taught us anything its that if you win one generation you are going to win the next as well..... oh wait.garland51

Except for the fact that Nintendo has been dominant on handhelds for 25+ years, starting with Game & Watch. :P

More like 30 years because the Game and Watch launched in 1980 so it is already 30 years that Nintendo has led the Handheld market.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

3DS will dominate simply because its the 3D..S and Nintendo.. it could have maybe 5 great games its whole lifespan and people will eat it up.

I don't understand how people can say the PSP doesn't have good games. Recent games like Dissidia and BBS prove otherwise.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

3DS will dominate simply because its the 3D..S and Nintendo.. it could have maybe 5 great games its whole lifespan and people will eat it up.

I don't understand how people can say the PSP doesn't have good games. Recent games like Dissidia and BBS prove otherwise.

Infinite_Access

I was thinking about getting a PSP for Z.H.P. but I might wait until I get an NGP and download.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Or maybe it could play out like the 360 PS3 situation. Nintendo fans claim the 3DS will have the win before the gen even starts (which really makes no sense to me) just like Sony fans did with the PS3 but PS3 ended up not winning, same could happen with the 3DS.FIipMode

This is how I see it.

=

=

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts
Many people happen to forget that the PSP has a sleep mode, which is essentially the "pick up and play" thing you guys seem to talk about. I use it all the time if I'm playing and I have to stop for some reason. Besides, not ALL DS games are pick up and play, and there are pick up and play games for the PSP. Neither system seems to be lacking in that department.LuniasM
Thats not what "pick up and play" means.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The biggest problem with the PSP, which scared off devs, is:

HACKS, HACKS, HAAA-AACKS!!

Sung to the tune of "Fack."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
A lot of people also ignore the fact that behind all the ideas it got from the DS/3DS or PS3, it has an innovation that makes a difference to gameplay. We won't know or see any games for awhile that use 3D in a meaningful gameplay use, where as we have already seen Little Deviants and the rear touch pad
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
ye just like the ps3/wii/360 :roll:
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

hmm, the fans are claiming similar things, but I don't think it will play out like it did last generation. I think the 3DS will get more sales than the NGP, but I believe it will be a much closer call, heres why:

- current rumours suggest the NGP will be a similar price to the 3DS. Last generation a lot of people (myself included) chose a DS over the PSP simply because of the price different

- the NGP is looking to cater for a wider demographic this time around, with its touch screen, touch pad, dual track pads, and gyro scopes- the casual market can be much better addressed than with the PSP. With the dual analog sticks, shooter fans will aso be happy

- 3rd party support. Hear me out here, yes the 3DS has a lot of support, and will probabaly have moire than the NGP, BUT it is already clear Sony made the NGP with developers in mind, already many engines have been announced to be running on the NGP, like CryEngine 2, Unreal engine 3, Havok Physics. Unreal Engine has been used so much this gen by developers because it is easy to develop on and cheap to license, thus bringing a lot of scope to the NGP

- full psn support. Not a biggy here, the 3DS has it too, however, combine this, with the dual analog sticks and suddenly you attract Call of Duty fans. The Call of Duty fanbase is currently huge, and a Call opf Duty game has already been announced for the NGP, thus CoD fans may want to try it on the go

This is my two cents on the matter. I believe the 3DS will do better than the NGP, but I| think it will be much closer this time. I am just fed up of Sheep going opn about how this is exactly the same as the last generation, and Sony havnt learned from the PSP etc etc...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#41 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Are you surprised by this? Hardly anything changes on SW...

Giant_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Giant_Panda
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

I'm liking all the

in the OP.

No one should count their chickens before they hatch. The situation is clearly different than the DS/PSP gen, and in the end the 3DS and NGP will probably end up pretty close.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

I sense it will play out that way but even I know its too early to tell.

Onl time will tell.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
No, it's the exact opposite. 3DS is like the PSP, and PSP2 is like the DS. DS was mocked by the media (3DS is endlessly praised and defended despite real issues with the 3D screen). DS's focus was the new control methods: dual screen and touch screen. 3DS has no new significant control methods. DS focused on new, fun way to play games. 3DS is focusing on multimedia functions and "oooh teh 3D!" (just like the PSP focused on multimedia functions). DS didn't have a negative impact on your health. 3DS already has reports of causing headaches, blurry vision, and many people are simply turning off the 3D. On the other hand, the PSP2's control scheme is actually opening up completely new ways to play games that have not previously been an option on a handheld system. The dual analog is a no-brainer, and the back-touch screen opens up a lot of options for touch controls (since the touch controls don't obscure the screen). Sony is focusing LESS on hardware power (if anyone's focusing on hardware power, its the fans), focusing LESS on multimedia (the 3DS is bragging up all of its multimedia functions) and instead is just showing off games. People also conveniently forget that the PSP constantly outsold the DS in every region for over a year. The DS only pulled ahead of the PSP when the DS Lite and New Super Mario Bros came out.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
[QUOTE="Bananaphone1"]

Some of the people who preferred the casual-friendly DS last gen are busy with their smartphone games nowadays. You cannot use a smartphone to replace NGP because its more of a "portable console" rather than another handheld.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Im not saying what you said isnt true, and honestly i agree with you, but lets not claim anything until both of them are released. The NGP can be a huge surprise.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#48 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

duh you can analyze this just by the games shown for psp 2/ngp already --- these 9games have made their way on psp in a form

1 mgs

2 cod

3 resistance

4 lbp

5 gt

6 socom

7 kill zone

ya theres only 1 new comer-uncharted

and 2 multi plat-shared w 3ds

i thought everyone knew 3ds targets a broader audience already i mean look at its line up it extends over 30 titles already and the things not out

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If sony can actually get devs to make games on the NGP they might have a chance, although Nintendo pretty much has the HH market in their hands.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#50 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nope because the ngp is the real next gen portable. imho its going to have more games and better sales than the 3ds. sony has the momentum in 2011

_SWAG_
rotflol ya right see ps3 sales compared to wiis and 360 outside japan momentum in 2011 huh? i gues u can call it bad momentumn then cause 3ds is bc and has more games as stated psp 2/ngp only has 11 total announced games 3ds ---over 30 dont make me list them they cater to everyone lol thats all you need to knwo heck 3ds even has saints row -thats enough to get me playing lol dont forget bc with ds gam,es has a virtual console which plays gb gbc games people asked for where our bc with gb games well now we can buy them for cheap and play them all on one handheld and guess what else theres gonna be turbo graphics and gamegear games to go along with ds dsiware gb gbc so your already floating on a small limb that is the 50 million/60 million psp user base nintendo has grown to over 140 million ds sales thats 3ds potential fanbase right there