NHL 2011 General Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1401 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yep, Pred trophy winners rarely win the cup, where did that guy go with the rapper in the Canucks jersey in his sig?
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1402 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts

He could still be out burning cars and rioting.

I'm sure Canucks fans are still balled up in the fetal position after another game 7 failure for the Cup. It will probably take at least a week minimum to snap out of their funk. It's emotionally draining and tough to get over losing a game 7 in the Final.

And I just noticed the poll at the top of the page didn't have the Bruins or the Canucks as a choice to win the cup.

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1403 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts

And here's the thing... you never know when you're getting back to a Final like the Canucks. This was the Canucks year. They had the best team and most points by a lot... and didn't win it all. In 94 the Rangers were able to finish the deal as the top team in the NHL that year or they would still be starving for a Cup. Things change from year to year in sports with FA's, injuries etc... and you catch bad breaks. The Canucks might not get another sniff at the finals for over a decade. Ya gotta strike while the iron is hot.

And I get it with the feeling good for an ex player of your team... but in no way do I take any satisfaction or am I able to substitute their win like it's my team.

ohjtbehaaave

I am not substituting it as my team's win, it is all Boston's. I am merely just happy to see him win it.

Also, here is a quote I found from the Leafs' Facebook page:

"We came close in Toronto. We made it to the conference finals a couple of times and I really thought we had a shot. I loved my time in Toronto. I loved the fans. I loved the organization. I didn't want to leave. But after a while, I knew I was going to. I have to thank the Leafs for sending me here. Boston was always such a hard team to play against. I just thought I would have a good shot at a Stanley Cup if I came here. This is so amazing. I guess I was right." - Tomas KaberleTomas Kaberle

Such cIass. Never said anything bad, has good karma written all over it.

ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1404 ohjtbehaaave
Most hockey players are classy. If you see their interviews between periods they are real gentleman and humble. It's because in hockey the players appreciate making it to the pro's after spending grueling years in the minors. The other sports are filled with many prima donnas that act like D-bags sometimes.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1405 gameeer1
Most hockey players are classy. If you see their interviews between periods they are real gentleman and humble. It's because in hockey the players appreciate making it to the pro's after spending grueling years in the minors. The other sports are filled with many prima donnas that act like D-bags sometimes. ohjtbehaaave
That goes with saying about Timmy Thomas after game 7. Didn't diss Luongo at all.
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1406 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts

Most hockey players are classy. If you see their interviews between periods they are real gentleman and humble. It's because in hockey the players appreciate making it to the pro's after spending grueling years in the minors. The other sports are filled with many prima donnas that act like D-bags sometimes. ohjtbehaaave

Its mostly that since hockey isn't huge except in Canada, the young stars of the sport arent treated as Gods. So their egos remains relatively the same as a normal human being.

ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1407 ohjtbehaaave
I agree. Stars in the NBA and NFL have their fanny kissed all their lives and basically go right to the pro's at a young age.... while most hockey and some baseball players to a degree spend time in the minors before making the Pro's. They are more appreciative when they reach the Pro's because they knew the road to get their wasn't easy. NBA and NFL players are worshipped from HS on up.. and just have a different attitude about them.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1408 gameeer1

And something like a week left to see the next generation in the draft!

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#1409 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

And something like a week left to see the next generation in the draft!

gameeer1

Looking forward to it, though this draft is a bit weak compared to year's past.

Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1410 Darth_Revan_666

The only interesting draft out there is the NFL one imo. A late 1st round pick can create just as much drama as a Top 5 pick. Take the Tim Tebow by the Broncos as an example. Its just isnt the case in the NBA, NHL or MLB draft.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1411 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12330 Posts
[QUOTE="ohjtbehaaave"]Most hockey players are classy. If you see their interviews between periods they are real gentleman and humble. It's because in hockey the players appreciate making it to the pro's after spending grueling years in the minors. The other sports are filled with many prima donnas that act like D-bags sometimes. gameeer1
That goes with saying about Timmy Thomas after game 7. Didn't diss Luongo at all.

Timmy's just really humble. He's a 37 yr old kid playing the game cause he enjoys it.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1412 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
You stay classy Vancouver! ;)
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1413 Los9090

The only interesting draft out there is the NFL one imo. A late 1st round pick can create just as much drama as a Top 5 pick. Take the Tim Tebow by the Broncos as an example. Its just isnt the case in the NBA, NHL or MLB draft.

Darth_Revan_666
I LOVE the NHL draft, but that's because its my favorite sport. But unlike the NFL, and NHL draftee may not make it into the league until a year or more
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1414 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts
[QUOTE="Darth_Revan_666"]

Los9090
I LOVE the NHL draft, but that's because its my favorite sport. But unlike the NFL, and NHL draftee may not make it into the league until a year or more

I love the NHL as well. I think it's the only draft where the really late picks turn out to be something great. Football has some, but hockey has a lot more. Zetterberg was the last pick in his year and is one of the best players in the game, James Reimer was 99th, Chara was 56th. Brodeur was late first round, best goalie in the NHL> Mike Richards was 24th, now Flyers captain. List goes on. This years draft falls off after the Top 10. Landeskog, Hiberdeau and Nugget-Hopkins are all great. My junior team may lose two players in the top 10:(
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1415 Darth_Revan_666

[QUOTE="Los9090"][QUOTE="Darth_Revan_666"]

JohnBean42

I love the NHL as well. I think it's the only draft where the really late picks turn out to be something great. Football has some, but hockey has a lot more. Zetterberg was the last pick in his year and is one of the best players in the game, James Reimer was 99th, Chara was 56th. Brodeur was late first round, best goalie in the NHL> Mike Richards was 24th, now Flyers captain. List goes on. This years draft falls off after the Top 10. Landeskog, Hiberdeau and Nugget-Hopkins are all great. My junior team may lose two players in the top 10:(

Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. And there's a whole Top Ten of historic draft steals made by NFL Films. Just search it on youtube.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1416 Los9090

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"][QUOTE="Los9090"] I LOVE the NHL draft, but that's because its my favorite sport. But unlike the NFL, and NHL draftee may not make it into the league until a year or moreDarth_Revan_666

Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. And there's a whole Top Ten of historic draft steals made by NFL Films. Just search it on youtube.

Okay....is that your point to the NFL draft being better than the NHL in your eyes?
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1417 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="Darth_Revan_666"]

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"] I love the NHL as well. I think it's the only draft where the really late picks turn out to be something great. Football has some, but hockey has a lot more. Zetterberg was the last pick in his year and is one of the best players in the game, James Reimer was 99th, Chara was 56th. Brodeur was late first round, best goalie in the NHL> Mike Richards was 24th, now Flyers captain. List goes on. This years draft falls off after the Top 10. Landeskog, Hiberdeau and Nugget-Hopkins are all great. My junior team may lose two players in the top 10:(Los9090

Okay....is that your point to the NFL draft being better than the NHL in your eyes?

Ya..I could probably name a lot more that weren't even drafted that are HoFers (Adam Oates) The best defenseman/player in hockey, Bobby Orr had no draft then but was paid a small amount of money, then was paid a lot after a year or so. Byfuglien, Pekka Rinne, Halak, Lundquivst, Hasak...all players 200th or higher, 2 of them sure HoFers.

I could probably find the same thing for the NHL....are there any more great players 5th round or higher?

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1418 gameeer1

[QUOTE="Los9090"][QUOTE="Darth_Revan_666"]

JohnBean42

Ya..I could probably name a lot more that weren't even drafted that are HoFers (Adam Oates) The best defenseman/player in hockey, Bobby Orr had no draft then but was paid a small amount of money, then was paid a lot after a year or so. Byfuglien, Pekka Rinne, Halak, Lundquivst, Hasak...all players 200th or higher, 2 of them sure HoFers.

I could probably find the same thing for the NHL....are there any more great players 5th round or higher?

I'll give you some of those, but I think it is pretty normal for a lot of goalies to be picked late in the draft IIRC. Sure, you get guys like Marc-André Fleury as a high pick, but for the most part a lot of them are 2nd round or higher.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1419 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

[QUOTE="Los9090"] Okay....is that your point to the NFL draft being better than the NHL in your eyes?gameeer1

I'll give you some of those, but I think it is pretty normal for a lot of goalies to be picked late in the draft IIRC. Sure, you get guys like Marc-André Fleury as a high pick, but for the most part a lot of them are 2nd round or higher.

But not the last pick or so. And they sure don't turn out to be HoFers.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1420 Los9090
There is a lot of talk about potential trades and offer sheets possibly going on before or on Draft day. Hope its legit.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1421 gameeer1

There is a lot of talk about potential trades and offer sheets possibly going on before or on Draft day. Hope its legit.Los9090
Brian Burke likes to try and make some deals at the draft, so we'll see what happens.

Also, Winnipeg is officially back after a unianimous decision by the Board of Governors!

Welcome back, and may you rightfully stay in the NHL.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1422 Los9090

[QUOTE="Los9090"]There is a lot of talk about potential trades and offer sheets possibly going on before or on Draft day. Hope its legit.gameeer1

Brian Burke likes to try and make some deals at the draft, so we'll see what happens.

Also, Winnipeg is officially back after a unianimous decision by the Board of Governors!

Welcome back, and may you rightfully stay in the NHL.

Yup, lets hope Winnipeg has learned their lesson from the first time...I would like to see them make an arena addition.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1423 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

http://www.nhl.com/schedules/20112012.html#?navid=nav-sch-sea

The schedule is out. The season opens in a mere 105 days on Oct 6th lol. I'm glad the Sharks open at home on the 8th so that I can watch the Winnipeg home opener the following night. There's no way I'm missing that game.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1424 CJL182

HOLY... :o

Philly making some big moves on the trade front today. Philly ships Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakob Voracek, CLB's 1st round pick (8th overall), and a 3rd round pick. Philly also sends Mike Richards to LA for Simmonds, Schenn, and LA's 2nd round pick. There's no question Bryzgalov will be a Flyer next year lol.

EDIT: Bryzgalov signs a 9 year contract worth $51 million. With a cap hit of 5.6 million per year, I'm surprised both Richards and Carter were traded.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1425 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

Well at the moment I think LA is the winner of the trades. We will see though. Phily looking for some young talent, maybe?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1426 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

EDIT: Bryzgalov signs a 9 year contract worth $51 million. With a cap hit of 5.6 million per year, I'm surprised both Richards and Carter were traded.

CJL182

welcome to my day :|

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1427 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Mike Richards centering a line with Dustin Brown sounds mighty nifty.

Sorry, excuse me. :P

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1428 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Hmmm, IDK Schenn was really hyped but i guess at the end of the day it's an unproven prospect versus a proven starter at the pro level. Simmonds was ok but he could disappear at times so maybe they got tired of his _____. Well hey had to mix things up, this team has taken rollercoaster rides the past two years during the season, then blew leads at home in playoff series and the awful 4-0 lead against SJ this year.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1429 Los9090

Well at the moment I think LA is the winner of the trades. We will see though. Phily looking for some young talent, maybe?

Swanogt19
You got Claude Giroux and James vanRiemsdyk, so they're still really good. Looks like this will be either Daniel Briere's or Chris Pronger's team.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1430 Los9090

Swanogt19
Its a good deal for Columbus in terms of ticket and merchandise sales. Some of those prospects (Nikita Filatov) really need to pan out fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1431 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"]

Los9090

You got Claude Giroux and James vanRiemsdyk, so they're still really good. Looks like this will be either Daniel Briere's or Chris Pronger's team.

i think pronger was offered captain

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1432 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

HOLY... :o

Philly making some big moves on the trade front today. Philly ships Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakob Voracek, CLB's 1st round pick (8th overall), and a 3rd round pick. Philly also sends Mike Richards to LA for Simmonds, Schenn, and LA's 2nd round pick. There's no question Bryzgalov will be a Flyer next year lol.

CJL182
haha, my words exactly. But holy heck, I missed a ton of exciting news in the NHL the passed couple of weeks (didn't even watch game 7). I'm freakin excited for the draft tonight though, Avs got two picks in the first round, plus I can't wait to follow free agency.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1433 CJL182

[QUOTE="Los9090"][QUOTE="Swanogt19"]

munchlax99

i think pronger was offered captain

My money's on Pronger being named Captain. It's being reported that True North has chosen a name and the JETS will return, and the official announcement will come tonight when they make their first pick. I was hoping this would happen lol.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1434 JohnBean42

Mike Richards is my favorite player, sad to see him leave Philly. Now I'll probably never get to see him play.

I wasn't surprised about the Carter trade, but I was just driving along, listening to TSN Radio, and all of the host is all "Oh. My. God" and mentioned it. It was a shock. Someone on a Canadian website said it would be possible if he got traded...and he got bashed for that. Well, he looks smart now:P

Philly gets the younger Schenn out of it, who should be really good, Simmonds is pretty good, Voracek...I don't know, haven't seen him play. And they have the 8th pick, and that player could immediately come in and play. Look at Skinner last year at #7. I think they take Murphy, great young defenseman.

NHL Awards: Surprised Perry won the Hart, considering I never heard his name mentioned for a long time. Thomas deserves Vezina. Skinner deserves the Calder.

And the Winnipeg Whatever-Their-Name-Is will be called the Jets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6700915

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1435 JohnBean42

This just in: Leafs aquire John-Michael Liles from the Avs for a 2nd round pick in 2012, whic hthey aquired in the Kaberle deal.

So..basically we got Colborne, a 1st round pick (30th), and J-M Liles for Kaberle. I'll take that, I think that's really good.

So...welcome to Colorado Adam Larsson!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1436 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Mike Richards is my favorite player, sad to see him leave Philly. Now I'll probably never get to see him play.

JohnBean42

richards was my 2nd favorite behind giroux, im gonna miss him :(

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1437 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

munchlax99

richards was my 2nd favorite behind giroux, im gonna miss him :(

I like Richards more than any other player, even a Leafs (Schenn is my second or third) is because I watched him for his whole junior career here in Kitchener. Watched him captain the Canadian WJ team with Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf. He was my favorite Ranger then, and stuck the the NHL. Oh well, at least the NHL are changing the scheduling where teams face the WC more...I think that's what was suppose to happen.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1438 hockey73

This just in: Leafs aquire John-Michael Liles from the Avs for a 2nd round pick in 2012, whic hthey aquired in the Kaberle deal.

So..basically we got Colborne, a 1st round pick (30th), and J-M Liles for Kaberle. I'll take that, I think that's really good.

JohnBean42
Glad we finally got rid of Liles, he was a great guy, but just so inconsistent here (in all honesty, we as fans used him as a scape goat a bit too often, maybe his expectations were too high). I wish him nothing but the best with the Leafs, he definitely needed new a scenery.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1439 gameeer1

JohnBean42
Hopefully Liles doesn't collapse under the heat of Toronto's microscope. :v
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1440 Los9090
Tampa Bay reups Eric Brewer to a 4 year $16 million...wonder what will happen with Stamkos? Ryan Smyth gets his wish and goes back to Edmonton, with GIlbert Brule and a pick going to the LA KIngs. Sharks trade Devon Setoguchi to the Wild for Brent Burns...
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1441 JohnBean42

I was wrong about Larrson...but hockey73, you'll love Landeskog. Hard working, the most NHL-ready player in the draft, can score, physical, skate..not a typical Swede. Captain material, compared to Mike Richards.

Former teammates hooking up in Carolina as Murphy falls all the way to 12th and will get the chance to play with ROY Skinner. Man..I might have to start cheering for the 'Canes a little bit. Rutherford was shocked.

Leafs draft, of course, an American. But Biggs is compared to Lucic...I can live with that, sound like a good player.

I like Liles. Thought we should of had him last year, Burke did too. Younger version of Kaberle, good D, only 1 less point than Kaberle, great puck mover, and might be better on the PP as I've heard he can shoot, had more goals.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1442 hockey73

I was wrong about Larrson...but hockey73, you'll love Landeskog. Hard working, the most NHL-ready player in the draft, can score, physical, skate..not a typical Swede. Captain material, compared to Mike Richards.

Former teammates hooking up in Carolina as Murphy falls all the way to 12th and will get the chance to play with ROY Skinner. Man..I might have to start cheering for the 'Canes a little bit. Rutherford was shocked.

Leafs draft, of course, an American. But Biggs is compared to Lucic...I can live with that, sound like a good player.

I like Liles. Thought we should of had him last year, Burke did too. Younger version of Kaberle, good D, only 1 less point than Kaberle, great puck mover, and might be better on the PP as I've heard he can shoot, had more goals.

JohnBean42
Yah I'm pretty excited to watch him. Lol watching the draft makes me feel old now, all these kids are like 17 and 18, lol.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1443 gameeer1
[QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

hockey73
Yah I'm pretty excited to watch him. Lol watching the draft makes me feel old now, all these kids are like 17 and 18, lol.

It's amazing that these guys are my age and being drafted into the best hockey league and I have done little to nothing with my life. :c
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1444 CJL182

I feel bad for Seto because he recently signed that new contract, but this is the kind of move that Doug Wilson simply had to make. I was starting to think pretty highly of Coyle as well, but we're pretty deep at center and the window is closing. The Sharks desperately needed a #2 type caliber defensemen who could take the pressure off Boyle. I think the trade is actually pretty fair for both teams, especially considering where both clubs are at the moment. It will be horrible if Burns walks though; an extension MUST be signed or this will be a terrible move for the San Jose.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1445 hockey73
[QUOTE="hockey73"][QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

gameeer1

It's amazing that these guys are my age and being drafted into the best hockey league and I have done little to nothing with my life. :c

Yep, haha plus they are about to be a whole bunch wealthier than I'll ever dream to be.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1446 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="gameeer1"][QUOTE="hockey73"] Yah I'm pretty excited to watch him. Lol watching the draft makes me feel old now, all these kids are like 17 and 18, lol. hockey73

Yep, haha plus they are about to be a whole bunch wealthier than I'll ever dream to be.

Jeff Skinner is my age (7 months older) and he has money, a Calder, people knowing who he is walking down the street and stuff. These kids are even younger than me and are more famous:P

But for all the money and stuff...it is probably one of the most stressful jobs, being an athlete. Media attention, the pressure to deliver. Especially if you're in a hockey market, like Toronto or Montreal or now Winnipeg.

Schiflie (sp?) has pressure on him, being their first pick back in 'Peg. I actually got to see him play in Kitchener once, and they talked about him in the paper non-stop all week, next to Murphy and Landeskog. Better be good.

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1447 gameeer1

[QUOTE="hockey73"][QUOTE="gameeer1"] It's amazing that these guys are my age and being drafted into the best hockey league and I have done little to nothing with my life. :cJohnBean42

Jeff Skinner is my age (7 months older) and he has money, a Calder, people knowing who he is walking down the street and stuff. These kids are even younger than me and are more famous:P

But for all the money and stuff...it is probably one of the most stressful jobs, being an athlete. Media attention, the pressure to deliver. Especially if you're in a hockey market, like Toronto or Montreal or now Winnipeg.

Schiflie (sp?) has pressure on him, being their first pick back in 'Peg. I actually got to see him play in Kitchener once, and they talked about him in the paper non-stop all week, next to Murphy and Landeskog. Better be good.

Skinner is only 3 months older than me. :v
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1448 Los9090
Brian Campbell getting traded to Florida? Wow, didn't see that coming considering Campbell didn't want to waive his "no trade" clause.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1449 hockey73
Brian Campbell getting traded to Florida? Wow, didn't see that coming considering Campbell didn't want to waive his "no trade" clause. Los9090
Makes sense though, Chicago needed to unload some cap and he's like a 7 mil hit, and Florida needs to reach the cap floor.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1450 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="Los9090"]Brian Campbell getting traded to Florida? Wow, didn't see that coming considering Campbell didn't want to waive his "no trade" clause. hockey73
Makes sense though, Chicago needed to unload some cap and he's like a 7 mil hit, and Florida needs to reach the cap floor.

There's only like, what 7 players from their cup run now?