Sonic2forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Sonic2forever
Member since 2010 • 246 Posts
The amount of superhero humanoid creatures on Earth seems to grow constantly in the Sonic games, but something that's always bothered me is what exactly ARE the Sonic characters called? As a race, I mean. They're not Mobians, and I think simply 'animals' makes them too similar to the Flicky creatures. What do you call them when referring to multiple characters of different species?
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
Anthromorphs.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
Mutant animals. :P
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
I think the "correct" term is an Anthropomorphic _____, where the blank is replaced by the animal name. I tend to just abbreviate it "anthro," though, especially when talking about a group. I'd say "furry," but that has a different meaning nowadays.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
I just go the lazy route and call them "talking animals".
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sonicphc
I just go the lazy route and call them "talking animals".barren167
But then people might mistake what you're talking about for this.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 barren167
[QUOTE="barren167"]I just go the lazy route and call them "talking animals".sonicphc
But then people might mistake what you're talking about for this.

The people I talk to on such matters typically know better, given what I'm already talking about.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 macrules_640
What would we call Robotnik? A mutant human? :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#9 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well like a lot of old school fans I hate humans wandering around Sonic games. Like Game Overthinker said "it's incongruigous and sloppy. Sonic looks stupid hanging around humans and even stupider trying to f*** one!! Good guys are animals. Bad guy is human, much more cleaner and streamlined." But I digress.

I just call them people or residents.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 macrules_640
Then again Robotnik could be some sort of animal that developed to look like a human, not counting Robo-Robotnik who comes from another dimension.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
I think we're looking into this too much.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 macrules_640
Nothing wrong with going into a mythos about a good character. ;)
Sonic2forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Sonic2forever
Member since 2010 • 246 Posts

Eggman is an Egg-man :P Half-Egg Half-Man All Robotnik... and where do they all come from?

Safe to say some of the worst characters are humans (Elise etc.) but Robotnik is one of the best in the series, and funnily enough he is certainly not a proper human...

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 macrules_640
Or he could be a mutant egg. :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kbaily
Well I had a great theory of how Sonic's world is an alternate reality earth with talking animals and humans but connecting the idea of the comic's setting with my favorite movie of 2011 Rise of Planet of the Apes with Mobius actually being Earth 10,000 years in the future where the animals evolved to the point where they could walk like humans, speak, etc. But I'll save that story for another day.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 macrules_640
According to the Archie timeline, it's Earth thousands of years later after a great war wiped out humanity, and because of all the nuclear fallout the animals were mutated into what we see in the Sonic comics now.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

Sonic Comics are weird.Next they'll have Sonic get shot by a beam that gives him green eyes.

I call them animals.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 macrules_640
Or the Master Emerald turning Sonic green and giving him blue eyes. :P
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sonicphc
Well I had a great theory of how Sonic's world is an alternate reality earth with talking animals and humans but connecting the idea of the comic's setting with my favorite movie of 2011 Rise of Planet of the Apes with Mobius actually being Earth 10,000 years in the future where the animals evolved to the point where they could walk like humans, speak, etc. But I'll save that story for another day.kbaily
Or a Blue Blur/Amusing Front Page post? I'd like to hear this one. :)
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 macrules_640
I'd like to hear this too.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 barren167
And then, I'll write my own heavily logical theory! At least as soon as I can find the document I hid it on, and add Generations in (Colors wasn't out then either, but it didn't involve time traveling).
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kbaily

While the final draft isn't finished and I need to do a bit more research to do a full version, here's my theory on Sonic's world.

In the comics, they say that around the later part of this century, a race of aliens called the Xorda invade and destroy Earth and in the wake of their attack the Chaos Emeralds where left behind (still researching that origin). While the human population was decimated from 7 billion to mere millions. Though in a way this was better for the Earth, with less people on the planet, pollution levels went down, food supplies increased, less people meant more trees were growing so oxygen levels increased and as you would expect with less humans taking up space, animal populations began to explode. Though humanity proves its resilence and the remaining humans began to rebuild.

However the Chaos Emeralds had simply been scattered around the planet and it was some time before anyone found them or knew what they were or what they did. A scientist was out in the woods when he stumbled across the blue one in an area with a lot of hedgehogs around. A strange thing occured that the hedgehogs expose to this blue Emerald caused an anomialy that turned their fur blue (these are Sonic's anscestors). Imagine a regular hedgehog with a slight blue hue to him. The scientist took a few of these blue hedgehogs back to his lab for study and after many tests saw an increase in brain functionality. Somehow prolonged exposure to the Chaos Emeralds led to higher brain functioning in animals but oddly enough they experimented on humans and it seemed to have no affect on the human brain as if our evolutionary progression had plateued.

As the years progressed, though other emeralds were eventually found and contained, they had already had their influence on the many animal species of Earth. Animals all over began showing signs of increased intellegence. One scientist visited a mysterious island where huge energy emissions were emerging (Angel Island) and found an enmormous Emerald but as soon as he got close was attacked by a group of Echidnas who appeared to worship it as some sort of god. This started to raise questions of how would humanity handle now sharing a planet with animals intellegent enough to band together and defend themselves.

So as you can imagine as the years continued the animals of Mobius (Earth renamed after the Xorda attack) began to realize how humans viewed them and the human race saw them as a threat. Once the animals gained the ability to walk and talk they began demanding the same basic human rights we have and if history has taught us anything, it's that people don't like things that are different from them. Segregation occured. Animals and humans had their own cities and rarely interacted with each other and those who did were often ostricized. Wars broke out frequently and if Rise of Planet of the Apes taught us, taking an animals that's stronger and faster than us and giving it our level of intellgence leads to dire consequences.

In the comics, during the Endgame story they do a short backstory of the great war that occured prior to the events of Sonic's story. That the Mobians went to war with who they called the "Overlanders" one pannel shows this battle and it's clear that the anthros are fighting humans and in this battle Eggman was an escaped convict who for whatever reason was taken in by Sonic's father, Jules and his Uncle Chuck but having a human on their side let them win the war but of course Eggman turned around and took over their world.

So that's my idea of the origin of Sonic's world.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 macrules_640
That seems like a good logical to me.
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

ITT: People thinking the Archie Comics have anything to do with the actual game series

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 barren167
Well, why not? Same universe, after all.
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MobilechicaneX

Well, why not? Same universe, after all.barren167

The Archie series and the video game series are set in completely different continuities and universes.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sonicphc

[QUOTE="barren167"]Well, why not? Same universe, after all.MobilechicaneX

The Archie series and the video game series are set in completely different continuities and universes.

Doesn't make them any less fun to talk about. :)
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 macrules_640
We had some pretty interesting theories going here.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SuperSmashBro1

It is fun indeed.

However,if we want to talk about people who don't know the definition of the word"canon,"one of my friends from long ago thought that the Sonic games,Sonic Underground,Sonic X,and the Sonic movie were in the same canonicity,and thought that Silver Sonic in Sonic 2 was Uncle Chuck.Oh man,it was hard to explain that one. (He didn't play Adventure 2,nor watch any of the other Sonic Cartoons,or read the comics.)

..Actually,its hard to explain stuff like that to anyone.Like when my sister asked if Peter Parker had a daughter named Spider-Girl,I was like:"No,that was non canon." then she said"Huh?"

Yea...explaining to people what canon is takes awhile.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 macrules_640
It would take a few pages to explain. :P
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 barren167
I just say "not official" or "not part of the main series". A lot less explaining needed, I just need to explain the why, not the "what in the world?" Especially for Star Wars stuff.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kbaily

[QUOTE="barren167"]Well, why not? Same universe, after all.MobilechicaneX

Plus it's more interesting than any storylines the actual games have given us. As someone who is obessed with the storylines and continutiy, I'd think you'd be all over the comics.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 macrules_640
I have to agree with kbaily here, the comics actually give the Sonic universe a deep and rich background of stories, it's something that's been missing from the Sonic games.
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MobilechicaneX
[QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]

[QUOTE="barren167"]Well, why not? Same universe, after all.kbaily

Plus it's more interesting than any storylines the actual games have given us. As someone who is obessed with the storylines and continutiy, I'd think you'd be all over the comics.

I'm not really that obsessed with the storylines and continuity. I just happen to post in the topics discussing it. :P

Although, I'm not fond of Archie. Mainly due to Sonic being a complete ****, as well as the ugly, unoriginal art.

Posted Image

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sonicphc
*post with image*MobilechicaneX
I contend that the guy with the starred cowboy hat was taken, in design, from the Sonic the Hedgehog anime movie. (Also which had nothing to do with Sega, Archie, or SatAM, but that's beside the point).
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kbaily

[QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]*post with image*sonicphc
I contend that the guy with the starred cowboy hat was taken, in design, from the Sonic the Hedgehog anime movie. (Also which had nothing to do with Sega, Archie, or SatAM, but that's beside the point).

Why did Knuckles wear a cowboy hat in the movie?

But if we look at things the game series has canonized from comics and SatAM over the years. There were the Freedom Fighters brief guest apparance in Sonic Spinball's mini game and the whole "Echidnas from space" for Chronicles was taken from the comics and of course in more recent games, canonizing chili dogs as Sonic's favorite food. So yeah.

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MobilechicaneX

[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]*post with image*kbaily

But if we look at things the game series has canonized from comics and SatAM over the years. There were the Freedom Fighters brief guest apparance in Sonic Spinball's mini game and the whole "Echidnas from space" for Chronicles was taken from the comics and of course in more recent games, canonizing chili dogs as Sonic's favorite food. So yeah.

I wouldn't call it canonising, since both Spinball and Chronicles are non-canon. :P

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 barren167
I would, because I still don't believe that forum owners have any control over canonicity. But that seems to be beside the point.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SuperSmashBro1
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]*post with image*MobilechicaneX

I wouldn't call it canonising, since both Spinball and Chronicles are non-canon. :P

Please tell me your not still listening to AAUK on which Sonic games are canon...since he was wrong.
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MobilechicaneX
[QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"][QUOTE="kbaily"]

[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]*post with image*SuperSmashBro1

Please tell me your not still listening to AAUK on which Sonic games are canon...since he was wrong.

No, not AAUK. Everything in Chronicles was wrong. From characterisation to story events. Eggman doesn't roboticize, that was made up by SatAM, and why are SWATBots there? They don't exist. Sonic and Shadow never turned Super to defeat Eggman in SA2.

Spinball is pretty obvious due to Mobius and other characters from AOTSH and SatAM.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 macrules_640
It's hard to say what's canon in the Sonic games, and comics. :P
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 barren167
[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"][QUOTE="kbaily"]

[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]*post with image*MobilechicaneX

No, not AAUK. Everything in Chronicles was wrong. From characterisation to story events. Eggman doesn't roboticize, that was made up by SatAM, and why are SWATBots there? They don't exist. Sonic and Shadow never turned Super to defeat Eggman in SA2.

Spinball is pretty obvious due to Mobius and other characters from AOTSH and SatAM.

So the fact that something happened in the TV show means it didn't happen in the game world? And in what alternate universe did Sonic/Shadow not take on Eggman in Sonic Adventure 2, given that that is precisely how it did happen at the end of said game? Sonic Spinball's logic is unfounded, there's nothing that says the presence of TV show characters makes a game non-canonical, given that there's nothing to say that those were the exact same characters from the TV shows in the game universe, as opposed to alternate dimension duplicates.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SuperSmashBro1

MobilechicaneX

From what i've read,Chronicles is agreed to be non-canon or take place after the events of about every Sonic game,mostly due to the cliffhanger,and there's no telling what could have happened up to that point.However,I won't disagree with labeling it off as non-canon now,since we more then likely will never see a resolution to that crazy cliffhanger it had(you know,since Bioware is owned by EA now..)

Spinball,on the other hand,can still be canon.I mean,really its just a cameo of characters from the show,and they appear in bonus rounds.So thats kinda like labeling MGS Peacewalker as non-canon since it has Monster Hunter bonus missions in it.

in what alternate universe did Sonic/Shadow not take on Eggman in Sonic Adventure 2, given that that is precisely how it did happen at the end of said game? barren167
I don't recall that..especially in their Super forms..

Dangit,I need to beat Chronicles >_>

Edit:Scratch that,I need to pick up enough interest to pick it back up again >_>

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MobilechicaneX
[QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"][QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"][QUOTE="kbaily"]

[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="MobilechicaneX"]*post with image*barren167

So the fact that something happened in the TV show means it didn't happen in the game world? And in what alternate universe did Sonic/Shadow not take on Eggman in Sonic Adventure 2, given that that is precisely how it did happen at the end of said game?

Chronicles stated that Sonic and Shadow went super to defeat Eggman in SA2... that didn't happen. And yes, Eggman does not roboticise. He used the woodland animals as an energy source for his robots, he didn't turn them into robots.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 barren167
Wait, now I get it. They defeated Biohazard, not Eggman. *facepalm* Easily up as a writer's error though. I know he has yet to in the games, but what's to stop him from have done so otherwise? The presence of animals as an energy source doesn't negate the possibility of roboticization, it just makes it somewhat less likely.
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MobilechicaneX

I know he has yet to in the games, but what's to stop him from have done so otherwise? The presence of animals as an energy source doesn't negate the possibility of roboticization, it just makes it somewhat less likely.barren167

Because the real Eggman isn't that much of a heartless ****. He's too classy for that sort of stuff. :P

It's important not to get the cutesy Eggman mixed up with heartless bugger we see on all of the Americanised Sonic stuff.

This is the video game Eggman:

Not this guy:

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 barren167
However he's also this guy:  Who devotes a bunch of his life to trying to make a girl cry so he can destroy the world, and then "repents" and tells someone else how to save the world after him while he sits back and does nothing.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SuperSmashBro1
and then "repents" and tells someone else how to save the world after him while he sits back and does nothing.barren167
He used the super secret map thing in his glasses(which was the coolest thing in Sonic 06) to find the location of the Chaos Emeralds.Thats doing something.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 macrules_640
SATAM Robotnik was a cold hearted bastard that's for sure. :P
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 barren167
[QUOTE="barren167"] and then "repents" and tells someone else how to save the world after him while he sits back and does nothing.SuperSmashBro1
He used the super secret map thing in his glasses(which was the coolest thing in Sonic 06) to find the location of the Chaos Emeralds.Thats doing something.

Technical definition, yes. But if someone failed to grab an emerald and save Sonic and Eggman continued his little "Hey, don't look at me, you can't pick on the guy with glasses" gig, do you think anyone would refrain from killing him?