Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Link.

Interesting details in here. Mike Hayes would like to see Sonic possibly branch out into other genres.

What say you, SonicSpot?

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
I say that you capitalize your titles too much. :P And technically, he's done a variety of them already. Battle was a fighting game, Shuffle was a party game, Mean Bean Machine was puzzle, Spinball and Pinball Party were pinball simulators, the Adventure games and Black Knight were adventure games, Secret Rings was an on-rails title, Sonic Drift, Sonic R, Sonic Riders, and Sega All-Stars Racing were racing games, Unleashed was half beat 'em up, and Shadow the Hedgehog was half third-person shooter. And I'm certain I've missed one or two. :P
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
...where, exactly, is there left for him to go, I wonder? Sonic War Heroes? Sonic Soccer? I think he's done just about everything else.
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
Dang it. Why do I have that feeling again? History's gonna repeat itself...
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Sonic War Zone?

Wait, I know! Sonic Skyrangers. Basically it's a pilot game where you fly the Tornado in epic dogfights, kinda like Ace Combat.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sonic tried doing different things. We know how that ended up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts
Simple fix. If they suck we don't buy them. We spread word of mouth not to buy them. if you tell someone not to buy a sonic game and they know you like sonic, word will spread that the hardcore fans are passing on them so they really must suck. Vote with your wallets and use word of mouth to your advantage. That's all we can really do to make sure companies that make the games we love don't get out of line.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mariostar0001

Sonic War Zone?

Wait, I know! Sonic Skyrangers. Basically it's a pilot game where you fly the Tornado in epic dogfights, kinda like Ace Combat.

Soniczero1993
Do you really think they'll make it like Ace Combat? :P
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
History is always doomed to repeat itself, look out Shadow The Hedgehog 2. :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Soniczero1993
[QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]

Sonic War Zone?

mariostar0001

Do you really think they'll make it like Ace Combat? :P

No, the company that makes Ace Combat is amazing.

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

Don't see what the problem is,there's not really anything wrong with trying new genres,despite how many people complain.Just because one fails in the past,doesn't mean they will always fail..plus,him and Sega are already doing that with Sega All Stars.

...where, exactly, is there left for him to go, I wonder? Sonic War Heroes? Sonic Soccer? I think he's done just about everything else.sonicphc
Him and Mario are about to do Soccer..

He hasn't done Music games,City Building,Dancing,Real Time Strategy,First Person Shooter,Third Person Shooter(Shadow was nothing),Stealth,Card Battles,Trivia,Virtual Life,Beat em up,or MMORPG.I'm definitely missing some.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 white_kunoichi
Curses.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Soniczero1993

I don't think MMO is really needed. Dancing? Well I guess Sonic can bust a move, I mean he breakdances when you get an S. City Building would already suck ass just by thinking about it. Beat em Up doesn't sound too bad, Stealth I'm actually curious about. I also wonder how a Sonic RTS would work. Maybe rings are resources, but I have no idea what units would exist or what factions there will be.

An attempt of a story would be a sequel to Shadow, but not exactly the same game. The Black Aliens return, and now Sonic must team up with Robotnik to save the Earth. Sonic's faction would be him, his friends, Robotnik and the army he makes. Maybe G.U.N. would be it's own faction and is against using Robotnik's help, as they have fought before in Shadow's game. The Black Aliens would be the obvious third faction that allows usage of Black Doom and maybe he acts as a uber unit, becoming Devil Doom after a certain tech tree is reached. Plus it may mean Metal Sonic may return to assist to save Sonic from dying by anyone but his own hands. Have him be able to turn into Metal Overlord and have the two giants go at it Metroplex and Trypticon style. We may even get Mecha Sonic back.

Hell, suddenly a Sonic RTS doesn't sound too bad if they follow what I suggested.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mariostar0001

Don't see what the problem is,there's not really anything wrong with trying new genres,despite how many people complain.Just because one fails in the past,doesn't mean they will always fail..plus,him and Sega are already doing that with Sega All Stars.

[QUOTE="sonicphc"]...where, exactly, is there left for him to go, I wonder? Sonic War Heroes? Sonic Soccer? I think he's done just about everything else.SuperSmashBro1

He hasn't done Music games,City Building,Dancing,Real Time Strategy,First Person Shooter,Third Person Shooter(Shadow was nothing),Stealth,Card Battles,Trivia,Virtual Life,Beat em up,or MMORPG.I'm definitely missing some.

Third Person Shooter was Shadow, even if you deny it. Sonic Unleashed was beat 'em up. Chao training was pet life simulator, stealth was present in various Team Chaotix missions in Sonic Heroes, I'm fairly certain there was a Sonic card battle game on some cell phone, and he's had lots of trivial games. :P Also, you forgot turn-based strategy.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuperSmashBro1

[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

[QUOTE="sonicphc"]...where, exactly, is there left for him to go, I wonder? Sonic War Heroes? Sonic Soccer? I think he's done just about everything else.mariostar0001

Third Person Shooter was Shadow, even if you deny it. Sonic Unleashed was beat 'em up. Chao training was pet life simulator, stealth was present in various Team Chaotix missions in Sonic Heroes, I'm fairly certain there was a Sonic card battle game on some cell phone, and he's had lots of trivial games. :P Also, you forgot turn-based strategy.

Having a gun doesn't make a game a third person shooter,and if it does,then it did a terrible job.I recall running super fast and the bullets from the machine gun automatically hit the enemy's,I consider the gun more of a power up that has limited ammo.

and the Werehog levels in Sonic Unleashed were God of War type Hack n Slash,not Beat em up.The difference is he's attacking with his super long fist instead of the Blades of Chaos,a Beat em up would be like River City Ransom,or Streets of Rage.Plus Stealth and pet life weren't full games.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mariostar0001
There are beat 'em ups with swords, just ask Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (DS). :P Of course, hack and slash fits my point as well. And there's a good reason those weren't full games: A full Sonic life simulator would be even worse than a generic life simulator, ditto for a stealth game featuring a guy who runs so fast he keeps leaving his cover anyway. :P
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 white_kunoichi

Poor Sonic have to go through so much nonsense.

zmanrwks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zmanrwks
Member since 2010 • 12562 Posts

History is always doomed to repeat itself, look out Shadow The Hedgehog 2. :Pmacrules_640
I'll personally be fine with. Don't bash me for my opinion :x

Also, it depends on what genres Sonic tries out. Platforming is where he succeeded, and many of his other attempts to branch out ended up with dislike by fans and critics. The best thing is to expreiment with different types of platformers/action games, instead of whole new genres.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
History is always doomed to repeat itself, look out Shadow The Hedgehog 2. :Pmacrules_640
BOOM. Quoted the right post in the right topic this time! Actually, that phrase usually applies to someone different not learning from the mistakes of someone in the past. IE: Hitler attacking Russia and getting owned by Scorched Earth just like Napoleon did. So, by that logic, Nintendo will be making a Yoshi game with guns now. AWESOME! (Insert reference to the webcomic that originally made that joke here)
Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts
A good point, best to do a mix if experimenting rather than diving into the shallow end. (silly analogy)
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 white_kunoichi

[QUOTE="macrules_640"]History is always doomed to repeat itself, look out Shadow The Hedgehog 2. :Pzmanrwks

*knocks on head* Hmm. Nope. Not quite ripe yet.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Soniczero1993

Don't bash because he doesn't agree with you. At least he isn't a mindless drone.

Anyway, this is basically sink or swim. If they sink, SEGA would get the idea this guy is talking out his ass and just go back to awesome Sonic. If they swim, maybe they found a genre that works.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mariostar0001
[QUOTE="zmanrwks"]

[QUOTE="macrules_640"]History is always doomed to repeat itself, look out Shadow The Hedgehog 2. :Pwhite_kunoichi

*knocks on head* Hmm. Nope. Not quite ripe yet.

All right,that's really enough knocking them. :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Soniczero1993
I have a great idea! Let's execute her. :3
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 white_kunoichi
I have a great idea! Let's execute her. :3Soniczero1993
*raises eyebrow* So you want Sonic to mess up again? Wow. By all people I actually thought you know Sonic.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mariostar0001
No one said anything about messing up Sonic, or ruining it. S0 was specifically speaking about your, lack of finesse and subtlety. Basically, yelling and getting frustrated with everyone who liked Shadow the Hedgehog is NOT good for your social skills, or your chances of getting anyone to actually listen to you in other cases. Toning down the "you love Shadow the Hedgehog so you're going to hell with Sega" is, very easily, a good idea.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soniczero1993
Shadow was a bit iffy, I admit that, but there were kinda pros. Hidden somewhere, but it defiantly had them. As a matter of fact not every single game is a pile of trash, they do each have their pros (except 06, nothing beyond Generations can save it). Sonic Riders is actually fun if you put effort into it and realise it's more of a spin off than a real game.
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 white_kunoichi

I guess I better prepare the needle. I think Sonic would be better sedated than be awake when SEGA embarrass themselves again. I'll wait.

Like kbaily said, I want to be a Sonic fan but not a crackhead of one. SEGA poops out a game with Sonic's face or another character on the cover because it's the famous series. The substance hardens and crumbles along with Sonic himself. Be careful and don't scream everytime you see Sonic's appearance on stuff.

/being truthful behavior

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Soniczero1993
Moar like jumping on kbaily's bandwagon amirite?
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 white_kunoichi
Moar like jumping on kbaily's bandwagon amirite?Soniczero1993
No. Just learning right from wrong.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SuperSmashBro1

They need to make a music game with Sonic Underground music,Crush 40 music,Sonic Adventure-Colors music,and as bonus tracks,music from other Sega games.Sonic,Tails,Knuckles,Amy,and Shadow can be playable,and maybe have Manic and Sonia as secret characters.

..Or a dancing game,where we can play as Sonic,Shadow,Amy,and Rouge,dancing to Sonic R Music,Samba De Amigo music,and old school Sonic the Hedgehog Music.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#32 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
Learning to see what's a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Soniczero1993

[QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]Moar like jumping on kbaily's bandwagon amirite?white_kunoichi
No. Just learning right from wrong.

Uh, there's no form of morality when it comes to games little missy. It's either it's decent or it sucks, there is no right or wrong, because no fan is ever right.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 white_kunoichi

Sonic getting a kiss from a human girl is not wrong then. A GUN solider having a love scene with his girlfriend may not be wrong either. Nothing may not be wrong when Shadow actually shoots one of the characters and blood spills out. Maybe Amy will keep showing her panties or have a scene changing her clothes. Rouge will be half dressed and her chest will show more often. Swearing will continue because it's cool and mature.

Did any of these happened in the 90s?

/obvious rant

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Soniczero1993

Sonic getting a kiss from a human girl is not wrong then. A GUN solider having a love scene with his girlfriend may not be wrong either. Nothing may not be wrong when Shadow actually shoots one of the characters and blood spills out. Maybe Amy will keep showing her panties or have a scene changing her clothes. Rouge will be half dressed and her chest will show more often. Swearing will continue because it's cool and mature.

Did any of these happened in the 90s?

/obvious rant

white_kunoichi

No, because this isn't the 90's. Get out of your f***ing hole.

Also, if Shadow shot someone, yeah, he'd bleed. Because, we produce blood, it keeps us alive, if we get wounded it comes out. We bleed too much we die. Am I getting through to you? Am I getting past that barrier you set up within the confounds of your mind because your mindset with what you like and don't like is that of a 5 year old who won't eat their veggies?

1. You contribute nothing beyond complaining about what Sonic is doing you don't like.

2. You overinflate the wrongs SEGA is doing by mentioning things far beyond what was even done. YOU are mentioning the whole exposed breasts and other crap, maybe YOU want to see that stuff. SEGA knows what it's doing, it's not some mainstream giant who decides modern crap is what's the fad.

If anyone was a huge tremendous Sonic Nazi, who likes ONLY old Sonic, ONLY 90's stuff, and if it deviates from that you have a fit, it'd be YOU. The little kiddies who whined about Sonic having green eyes in Sonic 4 are NOTHING compared to the hissy fit you are having, and I've had it. You make me feel bad to be a Sonic fan if this is what we have to deal with for every future Sonic game.

/rant.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 white_kunoichi

Dude, you seriously think I want to see sexual content and blood in Sonic? A series that was lighthearted from the start and had no swearing or overwhelming events? What began should continue til the end.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts

Dude, you seriously think I want to see sexual content and blood in Sonic? A series that was lighthearted from the start and had no swearing or overwhelming events? What began should continue til the end.

white_kunoichi

While I agree Sonic should go M rated, things do need to evolve to survive. If things did not change, we'd still be using rocks for knives and going clubbing to get women involved a big piece of wood and a headache for someone (that really isn't that different upon reflection).

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mariostar0001
demoman, I've the feeling you meant to say something a bit different then what came out. :P Now just to hope white_kunoichi reads this post before taking him literally...

They need to make a music game with Sonic Underground music,Crush 40 music,Sonic Adventure-Colors music,and as bonus tracks,music from other Sega games.Sonic,Tails,Knuckles,Amy,and Shadow can be playable,and maybe have Manic and Sonia as secret characters.

..Or a dancing game,where we can play as Sonic,Shadow,Amy,and Rouge,dancing to Sonic R Music,Samba De Amigo music,and old school Sonic the Hedgehog Music.

SuperSmashBro1
Just make a soundtrack with all that. And keep Manic and Sonia out of it, preferably. :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Soniczero1993

white_kunoichi

You seriously think I wanna hear you b****? Now we feel the same. Case closed.

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SuperSmashBro1
[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

mariostar0001
Just make a soundtrack with all that.

A soundtrack thats also a video game?What a great idea!
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Soniczero1993
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

SuperSmashBro1

Uh...you so crazy.

I think I prefer an RTS Sonic if they used some of my ideas. I know how to work an RTS, it's one of my major genres.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mariostar0001
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

SuperSmashBro1

...No. I mean a real soundtrack. The kind you can put on your computer. If you want a soundtrack that's a video game, we've got plenty of those already. And seriously, there aren't many (AKA enough) Sonic tracks out there you can dance/sing/play guitar to. :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Soniczero1993
Crush 40 is f***ing Metal.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mariostar0001
And your point is? :P
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SuperSmashBro1
[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"][QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

mariostar0001

...No. I mean a real soundtrack. The kind you can put on your computer. If you want a soundtrack that's a video game, we've got plenty of those already. And seriously, there aren't many (AKA enough) Sonic tracks out there you can dance/sing/play guitar to. :P

Anybody can dance to a song,and there are plenty of Sonic songs that have vocals in them.A majority of the Rock Music has guitars,drums,and bass in them,some even have keys.

I just want a music game since Sega is the only one that can give us one with Sonic songs.Due to popular demand,Rock Band tried to,but couldn't get the songs on RBN.Even a Sambia De Amigo game with Sonic and only Sonic songs would be fine.

I can guarantee you that if Sega is serious about new genres,they will at least think of a music game...and then decided not to bother,since Activision hospitalized the Music game genre :x

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 white_kunoichi
[QUOTE="white_kunoichi"]

Soniczero1993

You seriously think I wanna hear you b****? Now we feel the same. Case closed.

For the past year I have been here I don't recall saying ANYTHING that I want Sonic to go mature. And you wonder why I don't put sex and curse words in the RPG. I like to keep it Sonic. If you think Mario went gimmicky than what make Sonic different?

Super Mario Sunshine, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Black Knight: All have weapons but Mario stayed in his style.

Super Paper Mario and Sonic 06: They both have love stories.

Super Mario Galaxy and Sonic Colors: Both theme's are in space.

Mario and Sonic can be the same if you think about it. If you can go back to the posts I've made doing the year, you'll see that I've mentioned nothing about how I'd like for Sonic to go haywire. I've said all that if fanboys are hiding here what Sonic should be doing and not what he should be doing.

If you guys just bare with me and remember that I support Sonic for the best future that'll keep him alive thus continue his ways why he became popular in the first place. Okay? ;)

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SuperSmashBro1

..How did this topic start talking about Shadow the Hedgehog anyway?That game was an attempt to make Shadow look cooler,and appeal more to the people who played shooters,but it was hardly an attempt at a new game in an completly new genre.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Soniczero1993
I blame Canada.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SuperSmashBro1
I blame Canada.Soniczero1993
I Blame Beijing.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#50 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I kind of want to smack my head against a wall because for the last few years Sega tried doing "new things" with Sonic and all it did was drive consumers away. They tried making more Zelda-like gameplay, they added weapons, the forced in annoying friends, they tossed them on hoverboards, tried doing the deep story thing and with each game sales declined selling mainly as something parents bought for their kids or insanely devoted fans bought just becasue it had Sonic's face slapped on it.

I'm all for a series innovating and trying new things but it comes down to "innovation vs. alienation," if you try to do something new and it doesn't sell, then it's just a failed experiment. You can't take Sonic away from Mobius and away from running and slap him in space armor and give him a gun and expect it to be a massive hit.

Of course this goes back to a greater problem the industry has, companies are too afraid to take a chance on new IPs so it's easier to copy/paste an existing character into gameplay that has nothing to do with their original concepts. This is not innovation. This is a company too afraid to try introducing a new character into gaming for fear no one will buy it unless it has brand recognition. This is why you're seeing this action figure collectable game with fugly purple dragon being called a Spryo game (Skylanders), this is why Banjo was building and driving cars, this is why Link was driving a train, this is why you have a dark haired Dante parading around in a game claiming to be Devil May Cry.

The truth is, Sega needs to try to stop shoehorning Sonic into games he has no reason being in. If Bioware wants to take another crack at a Sonic RPG or they want to do the Mario thing and do some sports/party games for fans, that's ok but I don't want to see "Sonic the FPS" or "Sonic the Generic Hack N Slash GOW ripoff" oh wait we already had that second one with the werehog.

We're also to blame for this. How many times have we as Sonic fans blown our money on a subpar Sonic game as opposed to taking a chance with a new IP? The money we waste buying crappy Sonic games could've been spent playing great games like Zack and Wiki, Okami, Psychonauts, Little King's Story. When crappy established series sell and new IPs bomb, we have no one but ourselves to blame.