Virtual debate announced for Biden V Trump round 2, Donald chickens out.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

MSN/AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump vowed Thursday not to participate in next week's debate with Democratic nominee Joe Biden after organizers announced it will take place virtually because of the president's diagnosis of COVID-19.

“I’m not going to do a virtual debate" with Biden, Trump told Fox News, moments after the Commission on Presidential Debates announced the changes due to Trump's diagnosis.

That cast serious doubts on whether the event will go forward, even as Biden's campaign vowed that its candidate will participate.

“Vice President Biden looks forward to speaking directly to the American people," deputy Biden campaign manager Kate Bedingfield said in a statement.

It is more evidence that the race remains defined by the virus, even as Trump has attempted to underplay it.

The announcement from the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates cited a need "to protect the health and safety of all involved with the second presidential debate.” The candidates will “participate from separate remote locations” while the participants and moderator remain in Miami, it said.

The announcement came a week before Biden and Trump were scheduled to face off in Miami.

Trump was diagnosed with the coronavirus a week ago and but in a Tuesday tweet said he looked forward to debating Biden on stage in Miami, “It will be great!” he tweeted.

Biden, for his part, said he and Trump “shouldn’t have a debate” as long as the president remains COVID positive.

Biden told reporters in Pennsylvania that he was “looking forward to being able to debate him” but said “we’re going to have to follow very strict guidelines.”

Trump fell ill with the virus last Thursday, just 48 hours after debating Biden in person for the first time in Cleveland. While the two candidates remained a dozen feet apart during the debate, Trump's infection sparked health concerns for Biden and sent him to undergo multiple COVID-19 tests before returning to the campaign trail.

Trump was still contagious with the virus when he was discharged from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Monday but his doctors have not provided any detailed update on his status. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, those with mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19 can be contagious for as many as — and should isolate for at least — 10 days.

It's not the first debate in which the candidates are not in the same room. In 1960, the third presidential debate between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy was broadcast with the two candidates on opposite coasts.

A virtual debate? That makes too much sense! Of course, COVIDonald chickened out...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Of course he chickened out. Without being able to interrupt he'd have to stand on his job performance and his lack of vision.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Remember how everyone said Biden was gonna chicken out?

Where are these people now?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Smart move on Trump’s team part. Biden’s handlers would resort to cheating with a teleprompter like he’s used in basement interviews.

This also doesn’t look good for Democrats as they appear insensitive to wuhan virus survivors. Way to stigmatize the thousands of survivors...who vote.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

Smart move on Trump’s team part. Biden’s handlers would resort to cheating with a teleprompter like he’s used in basement interviews.

You do know trump uses them at rallies.............

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sevenizz

@LJS9502_basic: But not in interviews.

Also, the next moderator, Steve Scully interned for Biden and in ‘16, and tweeted ‘No, not Trump, not ever’. Obviously there’s a conflict of interest there and a total lack of trust. Donna Brazile, anyone?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@Sevenizz said:

Smart move on Trump’s team part.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sevenizz

@zaryia: Care to counter instead of an unfunny meme?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

I legitimately think it's because of the possibility of muting. I won't be surprised if, to him, talking over his opponent in a debate is a power move. But Trump need to remember that Virtual communication is how most of the Country has connected even before the pandemic. This is out of touch and will cost him, if the mountain of other bad weeks didn't bury him already.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

You'd think that someone who uses twitter as much as the US president does to get his opinions and Policies out, would be onboard with a debate done online.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaryia

@Sevenizz said:

Let me put it in better context,

Biden too scared to debate Trump?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/political-gamers-909409192/biden-too-scared-to-debate-trump-33499296/

@Sevenizz said:

Apparently the NYTs are Democrat strategists and have recommended Biden not debate Trump?

https://youtu.be/eERIBBCBZcY

And to day,

@zaryia said:
@Maroxad said:

@Sevenizz said:

You got demolished man.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sevenizz

@zaryia: In other words, no counter.

Thanks for not playing.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sevenizz

@Treflis: It’s an unfair set up. The moderator is already anti Trump and a former Biden intern. Also Biden may resort to using a teleprompter as he’s done in previous basement interviews.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

This also doesn’t look good for Democrats as they appear insensitive to wuhan virus survivors. Way to stigmatize the thousands of survivors...who vote.

lol. that's a stretch....

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Trump needs these debates. He was already polling poorly, and the last debate didn't help. He needs opportunities to move the needle.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

The president, the leader of the free world, in prior terms a beacon of strength and integrity, held with poise and authority, is now too much of a puss to use a Zoom chat.

Really let that sink in.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

@LJS9502_basic: But not in interviews.

Also, the next moderator, Steve Scully interned for Biden and in ‘16, tweeted ‘No, not Trump, not ever’. Obviously there’s a conflict of interest there and a total lack of trust. Donna Brazile, anyone?

I don't know how you think Biden can use a teleprompter for unscripted town halls........seems like you're grasping.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zaryia

@Sevenizz said:

@zaryia: In other words, no counter.

Thanks for not playing.

You got obliterated man.

@zaryia said:
@Sevenizz said:

Let me put it in better context,

Biden too scared to debate Trump?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/political-gamers-909409192/biden-too-scared-to-debate-trump-33499296/

@Sevenizz said:

Apparently the NYTs are Democrat strategists and have recommended Biden not debate Trump?

https://youtu.be/eERIBBCBZcY

And to day,

@zaryia said:
@Maroxad said:

@Sevenizz said:

You got demolished man.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

They should do it in VR with their own avatars.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

MSN/AP

The announcement came a week before Biden and Trump were scheduled to face off in Miami.

Trump was diagnosed with the coronavirus a week ago and but in a Tuesday tweet said he looked forward to debating Biden on stage in Miami, “It will be great!” he tweeted.

Biden, for his part, said he and Trump “shouldn’t have a debate” as long as the president remains COVID positive.

A virtual debate? That makes too much sense! Of course, COVIDonald chickened out...

Trump wanting to debate Biden on stage instead of on a Zoom call makes him a chicken? I think you are confused man...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Karnage108 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

MSN/AP

Trump wanting to debate Biden on stage instead of on a Zoom call makes him a chicken? I think you are confused man...

"On stage" while he is SICK with COVID. Key words there.

Do you... like the idea of Donnie potentially killing people with what he's infected with?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

@Karnage108 said:

He knows that isn't going to happen so he's hiding behind it as an excuse.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sevenizz

@zaryia: You can repeat it all you want, but you can’t refute me so there’s that.

Also ‘And to day,’ today is one word. I know, basic two-syllable words are hard.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sevenizz

@LJS9502_basic: What town hall?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I can see why Trump would reject that. He’s debating style is to intimidate and insult his opponent, while speaking pretty incoherently about the issues. That style wouldn’t work in a virtual setting. His punches just wouldn’t land. At the same time his ignorance on many topics would be highlighted.

That being said, he is losing BIG, so he needs to gamble a bit and get something going. Probably doesn’t matter what he does, because Covid is not going away and peoples lives will continue to get worse leading up to November. There’s just not much he can do tbh.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zaryia

@Sevenizz said:

@zaryia: You can repeat it all you want, but you can’t refute me so there’s that.

Also ‘And to day,’ today is one word. I know, basic two-syllable words are hard.

It was a typo. Trump had the lowest educated base in 40 years so please don't go play that angle.

I'm not going to refute your personal opinion. I was showing you how the person I quoted was right. You flip-flopped hard.

For months we heard how Biden was too scared. It turns out Trump ended up too scared. I would skip it too if I was Trump after the disasters first debate that further sank his numbers.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sevenizz

@zaryia: ‘Trump had the lowest educated base in 40 years so please don't go play that angle.’

But, you made the typo? Also, ‘had’? Let me guess - another typo?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

@LJS9502_basic: What town hall?

Second debate.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Basically:

-Trump acts like a child and won't STFU during his debate, also never discussing any curriculum on any plans on anything whatsoever.

-Chris Wallace openly says in the debate "Mr. President, your party agreed to let uninterrupted debates, please follow the agreed upon rules-" and then interrupted while saying that.

-presidental debates are seen as a major low point in American politics, from other countries laughing at it to Americans tuning it out in discust.

- Reacting to the fallout from said debate, the commission talks about muting mics to stop debate rulebreaking, followed by a change to a digital debate after Trump gets Covid because of a lack of following guidelines.

-Trump then says it's unfair, he won't do it because HE will be interrupted, it's a waste of HIS time, and that he will hold another rally instead...

- Then, When asked about his health and covid, he responds by saying that he's the "perfect physical specimen" and he's "extremely young", dispite being 74 years old and clinically Obese as hell.

I really wish this was made up, because I've seen "triggered Karen" videos that where more grounded in reality than this.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zaryia

@Sevenizz said:

@zaryia: ‘Trump had the lowest educated base in 40 years so please don't go play that angle.’

But, you made the typo? Also, ‘had’? Let me guess - another typo?

This is trolling now. My use of "had" seems appropriate, I was discussing 2016 figures.

Anyway, you flip-flopped.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sevenizz

@LJS9502_basic: I haven’t read anything about the virtual debate being in a town hall setting. If that’s the case, how is it a level playing field? Biden gets the glitz of a studio and audience, albeit small I’m assuming, and Trump, the current president, looks like the diseased guest on a monitor? Who the hell would sign up for that?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaasman

@Sevenizz said:

@LJS9502_basic: I haven’t read anything about the virtual debate being in a town hall setting. If that’s the case, how is it a level playing field? Biden gets the glitz of a studio and audience, albeit small I’m assuming, and Trump, the current president, looks like the diseased guest on a monitor? Who the hell would sign up for that?

Not much help for that since he literally is a diseased guest.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Are we going the grammar nazi route now?

Trumps style doesn't work if he is forced to follow the rules. He wants to intimidate and "win" by being a tough guy. If he can't do as he wants he won't play ball it seems.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Trump is a pussy. Very weak, very cowardly. We need someone who isn't afraid to debate someone that they're afraid of, which Trump very much is.

That said, it's probably a good thing for Joe if the election cycle gets more or less paused so close to the end when he's doing so well against the cowardly Don.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

trump gets the glitz of the Oval Office which beats a studio and if he had worn a damn mask and followed CDC guidelines he wouldn't be a diseased guest. It is what it is.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Karnage108

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Karnage108 said:

Well good for Trump to push back on this then. Biden would be happy to have his hand held through a virtual debate, all because of a virus with a 99.87% survival rate.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Biden wants a virtual debate so people can feed him answers to questions. Last I checked, both sides agreed to three in-person debates. Seems Biden wants to hide in his basement again. What a pussy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Karnage108 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Well good for Trump to push back on this then. Biden would be happy to have his hand held through a virtual debate, all because of a virus with a 99.87% survival rate.

trump is pushing back because he's losing and his last debate was a blood bath for him.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vaasman

@eoten said:

Biden wants a virtual debate so people can feed him answers to questions. Last I checked, both sides agreed to three in-person debates. Seems Biden wants to hide in his basement again. What a pussy.

First of all the nonpartisan debate commission decided this, not the Biden campaign, so your bitching about what Biden wants as a basis for this is worthless. Second, Biden has held regular unfed campaign events since running including the previous debate which was massively successful for their poll numbers, so the idea that he's afraid of them is laughable. Not to mention, it was Trump who pussed out, so your shit tier projection just makes you and him look like idiots.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Your dedication to the theory that Biden is a drooling, unthinking imbecile only capable of reading answers fed to him is admirable.

He wasn't wearing an earpiece. He wasn't wearing smart contacts, and he's perfectly capable of composing himself during a debate.

Your "Biden is senile" argument was always bullshit, and now that it's been exposed you need to move on.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Karnage108

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Karnage108 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

trump is pushing back because he's losing and his last debate was a blood bath for him.

Uh... sure that's another way to look at it. My point still stands that Trump just wants to proceed with the format that was already agreed upon, since Biden was too much of a pussy to do four debates.

I think it must piss you off that Trump is already out of the hospital and is eager to get back to doing a real debate.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Vaasman said:
@eoten said:

First of all the nonpartisan debate commission decided this, not the Biden campaign, so your bitching about what Biden wants as a basis for this is worthless. Second, Biden has held regular unfed campaign events since running including the previous debate which was massively successful for their poll numbers, so the idea that he's afraid of them is laughable. Not to mention, it was Trump who pussed out, so your shit tier projection just makes you and him look like idiots.

Ain't nothing non-partisan in this country anymore.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vaasman

@eoten said:
@Vaasman said:

Ain't nothing non-partisan in this country anymore.

Move to America then Komrade.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zaryia

@eoten said:

Trump agreed to the debate commission rules, this has nothing to do with Biden. Trump badly lost the first debate. Trump should do this, he needs it. And with being able to shut Trump's mic off the debate would be better.

Trump should not chicken out of this one. He is a such a pussy. Remember when you guys thought Biden would be the one to not attend? Turns out it is going to be Trump.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Virtual? Nah, that's stupid.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Quite fortuitous circumstances for the Debate Commission in revising their format, I have to say.

COVID grants perfect pretense to enforce a format that separates the two candidates into a virtual landscape, introducing (more like necessitating) the ability to cut off the mic of the other in order to work. Clever I must say, this way mitigates the ability for Trump, the GOP and their minions to bitch bias at the moderator's discretion to mute the microphone as it can simply be laid intrinsic to the format.

@LJS9502_basic: Of course he chickened out. Without being able to interrupt he'd have to stand on his job performance and his lack of vision.

Yup, this strips him of all strategy. He'd actually have to focus on substance and his record instead of intimidation and bullying. Him refusing was predictable as clockwork. Typical of a bully....put them on equal footing, and they show themselves to be the cowards they truly are and refuse.

I look forward to seeing Biden rip Trump a new one for 90 minutes on his own. That is if Trump doesn't 180 as he usually does and comes to agree.

@eoten: Biden wants a virtual debate so people can feed him answers to questions. Last I checked, both sides agreed to three in-person debates. Seems Biden wants to hide in his basement again. What a pussy.

What are you talking about? This is the Debate Commission's dictate, not Biden's, and one that would never had to have been made had your bunker boy idol been able to conduct himself like an actual adult for five seconds. Or, y'know, actually taken precautions against COVID instead of downplaying it and causing himself and the entire Executive branch to become infected? And then throwing a tantrum and blaming everyone and everything else when he must face the consequences of what he's responsible for?

The Trump way.

EDIT: And no, this should NOT be rescheduled. This refusal makes Trump look like he is: weak. Biden should be playing this to the hilt in portraying him as such, by his own faults no less.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zaryia

@Chutebox said:

Virtual? Nah, that's stupid.

Scared he will be muted when he breaks the rules his campaign agreed to?

Also, funny how you guys always thought Biden was gonna chicken out of a debate when Trump ended up doing it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaryia
@MirkoS77 said:

people can feed him answers to questions. Last I checked, both sides agreed to three in-person debates. Seems Biden wants to hide in his basement again. What a pussy.

What are you talking about? This is the Debate Commission's dictate, not Biden's

He doesn't really know what he usually is going on about.