Thomas Jefferson statue removed from NYC hall.

• 169 results
Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6880 Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/11/23/thomas-jefferson-statue-removed-nyc-slaveowner/

Yep, who didn't see this coming. I expect they will go after all the founding fathers eventually.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

@silentchief: Are you concerned about it?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Who cares.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Good

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I don't understand this ancestor worship.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8233 Posts

Don't like this, erasing American History.

We can't just remove important figures from American history because the 1700s were very grim societal standards when compared to modern day standards.

Yes slavery is evil and horrible, but you have to come to terms that at that point of time in history it was a common practice in the world. It's even still happening currently in some places in the world. You can't just get rid of important historical figures of how this nation came to be because society of the past was not up to the standard of modern times hundreds of years later... We can learn from the past and analyze both the good and the bad.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@girlusocrazy: So kinda comparing our founding fathers and such to Hitler...never would have guess this from the left...

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SargentD

@girlusocrazy: I understand Thomas Jefferson is known well currently, (lol at the $2 bill reference those haven't been made in a long time, I do carry one in my wallet for last 15 years for good luck) but if we continue to pull down the founding fathers of this nation, it's beginnings will become more blurred to future generations. Thomas Jefferson was one of the authors of the Declaration of independence. He is a very important historical figure in how this nation came to be and of the core concepts on what it was striving to be at that time on the world stage.

I do worry that the more we hide these figures out of some virtue signaling move we are hurting the fundamentals that these men based our blueprint on. The constitution, the declaration of independence, these are extremely important to teach to our kids and the people who wrote these documents should be respected. Nobody of the 1700s is going to live up to the standards we have set for society in today's age. Nobody.

I also think comparing Thomas Jefferson to Hitler is wrong. Thomas Jefferson was a brilliant man and many of his ideas were world changing at the time, not everything was good. These times were much darker than today's age, but he should not be portrayed as some sort of villain. He was a product of the time he was born in.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl

@girlusocrazy said:
@sargentd said:

Don't like this, erasing American History.

Just because it isn't prominently displayed doesn't mean it's erased. It will still be taught in schools, and the physical artifact can go in a museum. I've never been to NY city hall. Has everyone who hasn't been there not been exposed to that history? That doesn't make sense. OK time to invoke Godwin's Law. Plenty of people know about Hitler despite Germany having strict rules regarding anything regarded to that stuff, and it isn't the most cherished thing elsewhere either. I don't follow the claim that it's being erased. Anyway the dude is still on the $2 bill. That could even change too but he's still part of written history.

@vfighter said:

@girlusocrazy: So kinda comparing our founding fathers and such to Hitler...never would have guess this from the left...

Wow, did you strain your back reaching for that outrage?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Silentchief

@mattbbpl said:

I am concerned who the left deems worthy of having a statue. They seem to have an odd choice for heroes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

That's a bit much TBH.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SargentD

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl

@silentchief: Whose statue are they replacing this one with?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Silentchief

@mattbbpl said:

Who knows.

Probably a lifelong felon who they have made into a martyr.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@silentchief: Perhaps the child rapist that was recently killed, he was such a misunderstood hero.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl

@silentchief said:
@mattbbpl said:

I am concerned who the left deems worthy of having a statue. They seem to have an odd choice for heroes.

@silentchief said:
@mattbbpl said:

Who knows.

How can you be upset about who they choose as heroes if you don't even know who it is?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

I know it isn't fun to hear but quite a few of the founding fathers were actually not that cool.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic

@Vaasman said:

I know it isn't fun to hear but quite a few of the founding fathers were actually not that cool.

No one is perfect. They aren't celebrated for their entirety but for the founding of the country. If Jefferson is such a bad dude then does that mean we throw out the Declaration?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Vaasman said:

No one is perfect. They aren't celebrated for their entirety but for the founding of the country. If Jefferson is such a bad dude then does that mean we throw out the Declaration?

Man what a fucking leap, lol. Neverminding that the Declaration was an article drafted and signed by multiple individuals, it isn't a statue of the Declaration, it's a statue of the guy with the pen, who is well established to have been pretty severely uncool. Deciding not to hero worship Jefferson does not ruin the foundation of America.

I'd also point out it's not even like they're destroying or defacing it, they're just taking it down, it will be kept in preservation. Since they're not throwing out the statue, why would you conclude we would also throw out the Declaration by proxy?

This is just a poorly presented slippery slope argument.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic: Taking down monuments of men who enslaved people and codified slavery's existence/legality into our government seems kind of natural for a country slowly moving past it's racial history.

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

Who cares? Stop this chicken little. Find something important to cry about.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Vaasman said:

That's been the plan. Paint the founders as racists so they can claim they founded a country based on it to garner support for it's destruction. We told you it was going to be the ultimate target and here we are. Nobody cares that Jefferson banned the importation of new slaves into his state, lobbied against slavery, and put immense amount of efforts into abolishing it. His efforts lead are what eventually lead to emancipation. But facts do not care to these people.

The posts above prove my point.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Silentchief

@thenation said:

Who cares? Stop this chicken little. Find something important to cry about.

Lol like the Tucker Carlson show? Cry more commie.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HoolaHoopMan

@sargentd said:

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

I wonder what his slaves thought when he ran that past them on the first draft.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoolaHoopMan
@vfighter said:

@silentchief: Perhaps the child rapist that was recently killed, he was such a misunderstood hero.

Dennis Hastert was killed? A bit too early for new GOP monuments I'd wager.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Silentchief
@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:
@mattbbpl said:

@silentchief said:
@mattbbpl said:

Who knows.

How can you be upset about who they choose as heroes if you don't even know who it is?

There was honestly no reason to take Jefferson down. The question is when does it stop?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:

@LJS9502_basic: Taking down monuments of men who enslaved people and codified slavery's existence/legality into our government seems kind of natural for a country slowly moving past it's racial history..

Which was, unfortunately, the societal norm back then. Which laws are you referring to as to codifying slavery? He did want to end slavery though by gradual means. His 1824 law banning slavery in new territories failed by one vote. He signed the bill in 1807 banning the Atlantic Slave Trade. As far back as 1769 he influenced a member of the General Assembly to propose the emancipation of slaves which did not pass. His initial draft of the Declaration attacked King George for the slave trade but Georgia and South Carolina wouldn't sign unless it was removed.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@silentchief said:

There was honestly no reason to take Jefferson down. The question us when does it stop?

Is slavery not a reason?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silentchief

@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:

There was honestly no reason to take Jefferson down. The question us when does it stop?

Is slavery not a reason?

He fought against it more then he promoted it. So no i wouldn't say that's a valid reason.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silentchief
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@vfighter said:

Dennis Hastert was killed? A bit too early for new GOP monuments I'd wager.

I can't recall anyone in the GoP asking for him to have a statue. However you have a statue of a life long felon in NJC as if he was some type of hero.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl

@silentchief said:
@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:

Is slavery not a reason?

He fought against it more then he promoted it. So no i wouldn't say that's a valid reason.

Ah, but it IS a reason, now we're just quibbling about degrees!

The people objecting to the statue have a point, you're merely arguing that his positives outweigh his negatives and make him worthy of a statue.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Silentchief

@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:
@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:

Is slavery not a reason?

The people objecting to the statue have a point, you're merely arguing that his positives outweigh his negatives and make him worthy of a statue.

No not really. He was monumental in the creation of this country. They far outweigh the negatives. Should we take down MLK statues because he cheated on his wife countless times? Should we remove the statue of GF because he was a lifelong violent felon?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:

No they don't. He has a statue because of his importance in the founding of this country. Also you ignored my prior post.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic: Which post did I ignore? I mean, it's a public forum so we're all free to respond to what we wish, but which which point did you want a response to?

As for this reply:

@LJS9502_basic said:

No they don't. He has a statue because of his importance in the founding of this country. Also you ignored my prior post.

There are a lot of people important to the founding of the country that don't have statues, and certainly ones that don't have statues erected by who erected the one of Jefferson. Statues can serve many purposes such as reverence or intimidation, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to object to building monuments to someone who enslaved my ancestors. This isn't boiling down to much more than the South Park episode over retaining a racist a nd violent flag design due to it's historical significance.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl: Yep, You ignored it.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Silentchief

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:
@silentchief said:

Didn't think I'd see the day when i would agree with you on something.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@silentchief said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Didn't think I'd see the day when i would agree with you on something.

Hell has frozen over. :P

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic said:

@mattbbpl: Yep, You ignored it.

Ignored what? I'm trying to understand what you're referring to so that I can respond. Why are you being cagey?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#43 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Revisionists, and presentism at work.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Do you think that really applies to statues? I don't really view statues as some sort of historical truth, just something flashy to celebrate something.

If they were removing him from textbooks, sure, that'd be a reason to get upset.

Could honestly go either way with this issue; a statue of him doesn't really bug me, but at the same time we shouldn't celebrate someone like him.

I guess it comes down to how you view statues; as something that deifies people, or something that just serves as a historical reminder.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#46 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Do you think that really applies to statues? I don't really view statues as some sort of historical truth, just something flashy to celebrate something.

If they were removing him from textbooks, sure, that'd be a reason to get upset.

Could honestly go either way with this issue; a statue of him doesn't really bug me, but at the same time we shouldn't celebrate someone like him.

I guess it comes down to how you view statues; as something that deifies people, or something that just serves as a historical reminder.

We shouldn't celebrate Thomas Jefferson?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Maybe you should remove all founding father statues and replace them with statues of John Locke since pretty much everything stems from him in the US system.

Possibly also including the hypocritical position on slavery.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SargentD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:

@LJS9502_basic: Taking down monuments of men who enslaved people and codified slavery's existence/legality into our government seems kind of natural for a country slowly moving past it's racial history..

Which was, unfortunately, the societal norm back then. Which laws are you referring to as to codifying slavery? He did want to end slavery though by gradual means. His 1824 law banning slavery in new territories failed by one vote. He signed the bill in 1807 banning the Atlantic Slave Trade. As far back as 1769 he influenced a member of the General Assembly to propose the emancipation of slaves which did not pass. His initial draft of the Declaration attacked King George for the slave trade but Georgia and South Carolina wouldn't sign unless it was removed.

agreed well said

Jefferson knew it was immoral, but that's where the world was at the time. If we judge people of the past by the same standards we have today, everyone is canceled and not to be permitted a statue or painting?

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

@silentchief: lol. Immature, what i expected from you. This is a nothingburger kid.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SargentD

@SUD123456: John Locke was also a brilliant man who was a product of his time, he did not decide the standards he was born into. I respect him and would hope nobody would try to remove statues of him either. Liberty is a great thing and it changed the world.