Michael Cohen Under Criminal Investigation; FBI Raids The Office of Trump's Personal Lawyer

• 102 results
DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Today, the FBI executed a search warrant on the office of Michael Cohen, Trump's personal lawyer. The warrant is reportedly based on a referral from Robert Mueller

FBI agents on Monday raided the Manhattan office of President Trump’s private lawyer, Michael D. Cohen, seizing records about Cohen’s clients, including those related to a 2016 payment he made to adult-film star Stormy Daniels, who claims to have had a sexual encounter with Trump.

Among the documents seized were privileged communications between Cohen and his clients — including those with Trump, according to a person familiar with the investigators’ work. Investigators took Cohen’s computer, phone and personal financial records as part of the search of his office at Rockefeller Center, the person said.

The raid was first reported by the New York Times.

The raid is related to an investigation referred by the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III to federal prosecutors in New York, according to Stephen Ryan, an attorney for Cohen.

Ryan called the tactics “inappropriate and unnecessary,” saying Cohen has “cooperated completely with all government entities, including providing thousands of non-privileged documents to the Congress and sitting for depositions under oath.”

Among the records seized by investigators were “protected attorney client communications,” according to Ryan.

Dawn Dearden, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York, declined to comment. Peter Carr, a spokesman for the special counsel’s office, declined to comment. A White House spokesman declined to comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fbi-seizes-records-related-to-stormy-daniels-in-raid-of-trump-attorney-michael-cohens-office/2018/04/09/e3e43cf4-3c30-11e8-974f-aacd97698cef_story.html?utm_term=.1f678c36b775

I wonder what the referral was about

Edit:

In response to Cohen's motion to restrain the evidence collected in Monday's raids of his home and office, the US attorney in New York asserted the raids were authorized by a federal judge to seek evidence of conduct "for which Cohen is under criminal investigation."

The filing redacts what Cohen is under investigation for.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Among the records seized by investigators were “protected attorney client communications,” according to Ryan.

Interested to see if that's true.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Too bad the whole Republican party can't go down with Trump.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@narlymech:

Maybe not but they've definitely been going down *on* him! ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

So much winning.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

Ah.

One tantalizing wrinkle here is that under normal circumstances, attorney-client privilege protects communications between, uh, an attorney and the client. But the Times notes that the records seized by the FBI include correspondence between Trump and Cohen. This is probably not an accident. The Fourth Amendment requires that authorities have probable cause to believe that a search would turn up evidence of criminal activity. But warrants must specifically describe the things to be seized, which means that in order to get at Trump-Cohen emails, or letters, or text messages, or ledgers, or anything else, the FBI would have had to convince a judge to let them take documents to which they usually have no right.

I say "usually" here because there are exceptions to every rule, and a very important one is that the privilege does not apply when the communication is used to further a crime or perpetrate a fraud. In other words, you cannot shield conversations between co-conspirators just because one of the people committing crimes with you went to law school.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrLostRib

They updated the article

Michael Cohen, the longtime attorney of President Trump, is under federal investigation for possible bank fraud, wire fraud and campaign finance violations, according to a person with knowledge of the case.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrLostRib

and perhaps unsurprisingly Trump has started his attacks on the FBI, and the special counsel.

"I just heard that they broke into the office of one of my personal attorneys. Good man. And it's a disgraceful situation. It's a total witch hunt," Trump said Monday, referring to a lawful FBI raid."It's an attack on our country," Trump said. "It's an attack on what we all stand for."

The President also criticized Attorney General Jeff Sessions for recusing himself from the special counsel investigation, saying, "the attorney general made a terrible mistake."

Trump lamented what he called a "witch hunt" that has dogged his term in office, slammed Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia probe and argued that investigators on Mueller's team are "just about" all Democrats -- which is false.

"This is ridiculous. This is now getting ridiculous," Trump said, pointing to a "whole new level of unfairness."Asked why he hasn't moved to fire Mueller, Trump again said the situation is a "disgrace."

"Why don't I just fire Mueller? Well, I think it's a disgrace what's going on. We'll see what happens," Trump said. "Many people have said you should fire him. Again, they found nothing. And in finding nothing, that's a big statement."

I wonder when the full on tweet storm will come

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl

@drlostrib said:

They updated the article

Michael Cohen, the longtime attorney of President Trump, is under federal investigation for possible bank fraud, wire fraud and campaign finance violations, according to a person with knowledge of the case.

But he borrowed against his home to make that payment to Stormy Daniels of his own volition, with no prompting from Trump or anyone else involved in the campaign, because.... reasons.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I'm blown away he hasn't been impeached yet.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Deep state.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

The sheer fact that we have to guess the reason why this raid occurred out of a bunch of reasons it could have is a sign of how messed up the political world is right now. It may turn out to not involve trump at all but the fact that there are multiple reasons why it could is something that shouldn't be understated.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Nick3306 said:

The sheer fact that we have to guess the reason why this raid occurred out of a bunch of reasons it could have is a sign of how messed up the political world is right now. It may turn out to not involve trump at all but the fact that there are multiple reasons why it could is something that shouldn't be understated.

You are absolutely right this shows just how messed up the political world is and also that we have two very clear sides.

And the FBI and other agencies are being used for political gain more than anything right now is just a sick twist.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

love that trump is pissed and freaking out

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I call shenanigans.

I actually like Trump. Isn't that weird?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk

@jackamomo said:

I call shenanigans.

Nah, not really.

Even though Trump has let me down a bit and are loony toons, I love that he has stirred the political pot and also put focus on how shit the Democrats and the liberal movement is.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Nick3306 said:

You are absolutely right this shows just how messed up the political world is and also that we have two very clear sides.

And the FBI and other agencies are being used for political gain more than anything right now is just a sick twist.

You are at least correct in that we have two very clear sides. One side is against this joke of an administration that turns out scandal after scandal and this group includes democrats and republicans alike. The other side are trump supporters, their numbers dropping by the day.

A federal judge had to be convinced to give a warrant to raid a lawyers office, not just any lawyer, but the lawyer of the sitting president. Further more, the judge felt there was enough evidence to give a no knock warrant which means they had reason to believe that they needed the evidence ASAP or else it could be destroyed. You can try to spin this as a political move but the facts just dont back you up on it, as far as we know currently, this could end up not involving trump at all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@joebones5000 said:

lol. Imagine the evidence Mueller has to have in order to get a warrant on the long-time personal lawyer of a sitting president. Witch hunt my ass.

Don´t think you quite get the idea behind a warrant but nice troll comment you come with as always.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Nick3306 said:

Yes the side of criminals and the other sides that finds criminals in our government to be problematic.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Worth copying:

"To be clear: The FBI raid of Michael Cohen was OKd with a warrant by the Southern District US Attorney, Geoffrey S. Berman. Berman was appointed by Trump after he fired Preet Bharara. Berman was a one time Rudy Giuliani law partner—so hardly a lib Dem."

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:

Worth copying:

"To be clear: The FBI raid of Michael Cohen was OKd with a warrant by the Southern District US Attorney, Geoffrey S. Berman. Berman was appointed by Trump after he fired Preet Bharara. Berman was a one time Rudy Giuliani law partner—so hardly a lib Dem."

When Obama argued that there was an issue with policing in this country, the Trumpettes saw it as an attack on law enforcement.

When Trump directly attacked the FBI, where is the Trumpette crowd defending their puppet? No where to be found. Blue Lives Matter when it's convenient to Trumpettes.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@jackamomo said:

I call shenanigans.

Nah, not really.

Even though Trump has let me down a bit and are loony toons, I love that he has stirred the political pot and also put focus on how shit the Democrats and the liberal movement is.

While also putting an even bigger focus on how shit the Republican and conservative movement is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:

Worth copying:

It was also signed off by Trumps own Justice Department.

That's why trump is pissed at Sessions.

Sessions will be the next one gone.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Again, most of you missed the damage that has been done to the country again by the FBI.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:

Again, most of you missed the damage that has been done to the country again by the FBI.

Yeah they effed the election up but what are you going to do now about that?

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Feminist9000
Member since 2018 • 31 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump cheated.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JimB

@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump cheated.

The only cheats were the DNC, which has been proven.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Feminist9000

@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump cheated.

Trump cheated, used Russia and probably China to further his agenda. Sorry I'm talking about your Fuhrer but something has to be done.

I'm with her!

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

The FBI certainly tried. The Obama Administration tried and like the FBI continued after the election. That is what this whole investigation is about getting Trump not the election. The Russians are laughing their asses off at us. This is all starting to sound like Stalin's Chief of his secret police " Show me a man and I will show you a crime." This is what our country has fallen to Russia and Nazi Germany. Remember Obama was pushing for a national police. Do you see any comparisons here.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JimB

@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump cheated.

Trump cheated, used Russia and probably China to further his agenda. Sorry I'm talking about your Fuhrer but something has to be done.

I'm with her!

Where is the proof? There is proof that Hillary used a foreign government to interfere with the election.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Feminist9000

@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Trump cheated.

I'm with her!

Where is the proof? There is proof that Hillary used a foreign government to interfere with the election.

Nothing she did was illegal. Pretty sure conspiring with foreign governments are. If you didn't vote for a woman, and support a true woman, you are sexist.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

The FBI certainly tried. The Obama Administration tried and like the FBI continued after the election. That is what this whole investigation is about getting Trump not the election. The Russians are laughing their asses off at us. This is all starting to sound like Stalin's Chief of his secret police " Show me a man and I will show you a crime." This is what our country has fallen to Russia and Nazi Germany. Remember Obama was pushing for a national police. Do you see any comparisons here.

You know the FBI helped trump..........right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

hahahahahaha

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

You know they helped Hilary........right?

@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

hahahahahaha

Hahahahaha, A state legislator in California has introduced a bill that all online postings must be fat checked by the state before it can be posted. So it starts Freedom of speech is going away. Back to my comment you thought was funny.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JimB

@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:

Trump cheated.

I'm with her!

Nothing she did was illegal. Pretty sure conspiring with foreign governments are. If you didn't vote for a woman, and support a true woman, you are sexist.

Nothing Trump did was illegal either, only he won the election because she was such a piss poor candidate.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Feminist9000

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

You know they helped Hilary........right?

@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

hahahahahaha

Hahahahaha, A state legislator in California has introduced a bill that all online postings must be fat checked by the state before it can be posted. So it starts Freedom of speech is going away. Back to my comment you thought was funny.

I guess you're more interested in the FREEDOM TO HATE than anything.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk

@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump cheated.

I'm with her!

Nice little alt.

But I guess you missed that Mueller no longer has an interest in Trump when it comes to a Russia link.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@joebones5000 said:

@JimB: lol. Dude, please. If there were evidence that Hillary did anything illegal, Republicans would have nailed her on it by now. It's not like the offices of her personal lawyer are being raided by the FBI or anything, or she's the subject of an FBI investigation and a special counsel investigation.

You're freaking delusional.

You're right. Criminals never get away with crimes, especially politicians!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

this is going to be huge.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I don't see how attorney client information can be protected if they have reasonable cause to think they engaged in violations of federal law together.

What I'm more curious about is the scope of the warrant and if something else turns up in gathering information whether it would be suppressed in court if used for going beyond the scope of the warrant.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

Don´t you ever get tired of saying that and being proven wrong?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Don´t you ever get tired of saying that and being proven wrong?

lol....doesn't get any weaker then that as a response.

you shall see how big this will be within a few months at most

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@drlostrib said:

and perhaps unsurprisingly Trump has started his attacks on the FBI, and the special counsel.

"I just heard that they broke into the office of one of my personal attorneys. Good man. And it's a disgraceful situation. It's a total witch hunt," Trump said Monday, referring to a lawful FBI raid."It's an attack on our country," Trump said. "It's an attack on what we all stand for."

The President also criticized Attorney General Jeff Sessions for recusing himself from the special counsel investigation, saying, "the attorney general made a terrible mistake."

Trump lamented what he called a "witch hunt" that has dogged his term in office, slammed Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia probe and argued that investigators on Mueller's team are "just about" all Democrats -- which is false.

"This is ridiculous. This is now getting ridiculous," Trump said, pointing to a "whole new level of unfairness."Asked why he hasn't moved to fire Mueller, Trump again said the situation is a "disgrace."

"Why don't I just fire Mueller? Well, I think it's a disgrace what's going on. We'll see what happens," Trump said. "Many people have said you should fire him. Again, they found nothing. And in finding nothing, that's a big statement."

I wonder when the full on tweet storm will come

Hasn't Trump stated on several occasions that anyone under investigation from FBI is not fit to be a president?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Nick3306 said:

Yes the side of criminals and the other sides that finds criminals in our government to be problematic.

Let's also remember that the FBI is arguably the most conservative* of organizations.

*traditional conservative, not alt-right conservative.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:

Trump cheated.

I'm with her!

Nice little alt.

It's a fakeboy, meaning his main is likely a republican poster like n64dd or something.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fakeboy

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TryIt

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@feminist9000 said:
@JimB said:
@feminist9000 said:

Trump cheated.

I'm with her!

Nice little alt.

It's a fakeboy, meaning his main is likely a republican poster like n64dd or something.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fakeboy

and not done very well I might add

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DrLostRib

@JimB said:

wut?

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Im no lawyer but don't clients and lawers have special circumstantial protections from raids? I believe that is the case. That being said, Muller must have some solid evidence to grant that warrant to raid a lawyer's office.

Heres to hoping this is the beginning of the end to the most dishonest, hateful, and biggoted POS in recent presidential history. I wonder what old Evangelists think of their god chosen leader now that hes guilty of trying to cover up cheating on his wife with a person who more or less gets paid to sleep with people. ??