Elon Musk takes power & command on Twitter as the new Boss in Social Media town!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Link: Elon Musk now in charge of Twitter

This could be good or bad for Twitter itself but at the end of the day, he screwed himself and had to commit or he'd lose like 50 million dollars. Meanwhile all those Twitter execs that were "fired" left with $50 million dollar payouts. And he can't run the platform the way conservatives want because if liberals leave, Twitter loses A LOT of money either way. I can see Donald Trump’s account will be reinstated soon despite Trump & Musk hate each other...especially Trump mocking Musk regarding buying Twitter almost a year ago and look where we are now. As for Twitter, I for one like the platform as I use it everyday just to follow gaming news & developers. Twitter isn't bad if you know how to use it of course. Oh and I can also see Alex Jones coming back to the platform more so...whatever money he has left.

IMO, I wanna see Trum coming back on Twitter as his crusade rants was the best part on Twitter lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Couldn't care less. Never used Twitter, never will.

And unless it's in a casket, I don't really want to see Trump anywhere.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3400 Posts

I hope that things cool down over there because my feed for the last two days is people saying ni**er and shouting freedom.

Anyway I don't care.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Ya this was fail all around from Musk.

Parag Agrawal and others: Elon Musk will have to pay three fired Twitter executives nearly $200 million | CNN Business

Why did Elon Musk agree to buy Twitter for $44 billion, again? | Fortune

By Buying Twitter, Elon Musk Created His Own Nightmare (theintercept.com)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Elon Musk has been getting by on the government's dime with Tesla and SpaceX, it will be interesting to see how he does with a company like this.

Can't say I am a big fan of him un-banning folks and firing 75% of the work force (well, he said he plans to, not sure if he is going to follow through).

Call me crazy but I don't think we should be subjected to listening to rape-supporters, Jan 6 participants, and other abusive and terrible folks. If they want to speak their shit, they can make a sign and come to an actual public square and do it face-to-face in front of real people.

I personally hope for a world free of Twitter. It has had its time. First let Facebook collapse, then Twitter.

@zaryia said:

Interesting article.

I hope, through a combination of consumer pressure, corporate weakness, and a childish Musk, we get advertisers to pull.

General Motors has already pulled their ads from Twitter, and we have seen what a quick response people can get when folks like Kanye say anti-Semitic nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I hope he runs it to the ground and Twitter dies wishful thinking I know.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think we should be subjected to listening to rape-supporters, Jan 6 participants, and other abusive and terrible folks. If they want to speak their shit, they can make a sign and come to an actual public square and do it face-to-face in front of real people.

This, precisely. The Right thinks this will provide their "rape-supporters, Jan 6 participants, and other abusive and terrible folks" a platform, but most people a) don't want that in their daily timeline and b) don't want their kids exposed to that. This creates a deep financial incentive for advertisers to want that stuff off the platform and, thus, for Twitter the company to want it off the platform.

There's a reason why platforms like Parler never have the reach of Twitter and Facebook. They are designed to serve more niche audiences, and if that's what Twitter becomes after this the acquisition will be a failure.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Elon Musk has been getting by on the government's dime with Tesla and SpaceX, it will be interesting to see how he does with a company like this.

Can't say I am a big fan of him un-banning folks and firing 75% of the work force (well, he said he plans to, not sure if he is going to follow through).

I personally hope for a world free of Twitter. It has had its time. First let Facebook collapse, then Twitter.

@zaryia said:

Interesting article.

I hope, through a combination of consumer pressure, corporate weakness, and a childish Musk, we get advertisers to pull.

General Motors has already pulled their ads from Twitter, and we have seen what a quick response people can get when folks like Kanye say anti-Semitic nonsense.

Nothing craqzy about that at all. Freedom of speech is an incredibly complicated thing, and there isnt a simple binary. Take the US as a shining example of that.

US is one of the few countries in the world that has freedom of speech enshrined in its constitution, but if you look at how freedom of speech is ranked across the globe, you will quickly realize that US barely makes it in the top 25%.

And yup, I work in marketting, specifically, I write software for this industry. And I have said it before and I will say it again. As far as who controls speech, it is advertisers who decides. And Advertisers in turn, will be beholden to what gets them results. And how is htis determined? Generally what likely customers would resonate with. You don't want to be associated with any extremist ideology, and certainly NO conspiracy theories. You don't want to be associated with something like Antifa, nor do you want to be associated with Trumpism. Despite what the victimhood types here seem to think. The far left also get demonetized. Even something like Black Lives Matter is a very iffy subject.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@mattbbpl: at the end of the day, no one is saying they can't say these things.

They're just saying you can't say these things here ("here" being Twitter, or a forum on a website, etc).

And, as you said, there is a reason Parler et al are not popular; they only appeal to a small minority, and normal folks (on either side) don't want that toxic stuff in their lives.

They're desperate, and it shows. Standing in the middle of the sidewalk with a sandwich board around their neck and a bullhorn is what they should be doing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
@warmblur said:

The article sort of explains how that might happen. To summarize (I think...please correct if wrong), it detailed how Elon's wealth isn't liquid so he would more or less have to sell parts of his other companies (Tesla, SpaceX) in order to support Twitter, which has only been profitable for two years in its history.

So basically Elon can't afford to keep Twitter afloat on its own. And with advertisers possibly leaving, it's going to be a money pit.

Explains why he wanted out so bad. I think he is used to being powerful but then his accountants probably said "Umm, dude....this will ruin you".

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

The article sort of explains how that might happen. To summarize (I think...please correct if wrong), it detailed how Elon's wealth isn't liquid so he would more or less have to sell parts of his other companies (Tesla, SpaceX) in order to support Twitter, which has only been profitable for two years in its history.

So basically Elon can't afford to keep Twitter afloat on its own. And with advertisers possibly leaving, it's going to be a money pit.

Explains why he wanted out so bad. I think he is used to being powerful but then his accountants probably said "Umm, dude....this will ruin you".

So either Twitter ends up at someone elses hands, or Musk potentially loses a lot of his fortune?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

I expect he'll put on the market in the not too distant future. I don't think he really wants it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@warmblur said:

That's to be expected in the upcoming years which will be interesting.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

I wonder if he will unban Trump.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I expect he'll put on the market in the not too distant future. I don't think he really wants it.

Even if he does, I don't see anyone paying more than half of the sum musk dropped for it.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

I hope that things cool down over there because my feed for the last two days is people saying ni**er and shouting freedom.

Anyway I don't care.

oddly my feed been random woman. not even from OG profiles of said woman's twitter accounts. been all bot retweets

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3864 Posts

@horgen said:

He already said he would. Maybe he will ban some of the terrorist leaders that were allowed to stay on Twitter.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@JimB said:
@horgen said:

He already said he would. Maybe he will ban some of the terrorist leaders that were allowed to stay on Twitter.

Like who? Trump?

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3400 Posts

Oh man, Twitter is pretty awesome right now. I didn't have much of an opinion regarding Elon Musk until very recently, it was kind of whatever, but reading the shit he posts and retweets is pretty awesome. I hope Trump comes back quickl, just let the cancer spread.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8219 Posts

@davillain: Trump IS Twitter. They were so dumb for banning him.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Wonder how many of these progressives types who sound off about how evil he is, will continue to use his platform because they can't resist farting into the void to get them endorphins.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

As predicted all the leftist lunatics will cry for strict social media controls now that they no longer control their bias narrative

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Skarwolf: So you are saying that your previous complaints about free speech controls were false?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zaryia
@Skarwolf said:

As predicted all the leftist lunatics will cry for strict social media controls now that they no longer control their bias narrative

A few people acting like idiots on twitter, so a typical day and a nothing burger? And hey, it's still better than being terrorists like the far right lunatics.

But yeah, business as usual on twitter. Everyone acting like a fool or loon, even the new owner:

Elon Musk deletes tweet linking conspiracy theory to Paul Pelosi attack | The Hill

@uninspiredcup said:

Wonder how many of these progressives types who sound off about how evil he is, will continue to use his platform because they can't resist farting into the void to get them endorphins.

Probably less than the number of conservatives who kept using Twitter even though they cried about "muh freedumb".

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
@Skarwolf said:

It never was or is about "control". Or even censorship. You could always say a lot of crap and terrible things.

And yes, there is bias, but there is a big difference between obvious bias...and peddling lies and conspiracies.

You can't really stop bias since it operates on an honor system or is just accepted as part of our culture (critical thinking skills help as well), but you can definitely do something about liars and harmful conspiracy theorists.

We need to stop thinking in "all or nothing" terms. Far-right talking points are fine provided they're based on truth or actual theory (like social or political or economic theory, not conspiracy theory); peddling lies about how Sandy Hook was fake and a false-flag operation by globalists is not.

@zaryia said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Probably less than the number of conservatives who kept using Twitter even though they cried about "muh freedumb".

Where were all these people for Parler and Truth Social? 😋

Sometimes I think the vocal minority is a lot smaller than I think it is. Obviously we hear about people complaining about gun rights and free speech and such, but the number of fanatics might be far lower.

Makes their control over US politics all the more worrisome, imo.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Good. Now bring back Trump and Alex Jones on twitter😁

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaryia

@hardwenzen said:

As long as they don't incite violence, sure.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Truly a great day for humanity. And I'm finding the meltdowns, especially from crybullies like Taylor Lorenz especially delicious.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

Well well, it didn't take too long for Musk to start running Twitter to the gutter even further:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrbojangles25
@hardwenzen said:

haha if you had to pick one to come back, which one would you choose?

I'd go with Alex Jones, he is much easier to laugh at and while some folks take him serious, most don't.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@hardwenzen said:

I'd go with Alex Jones, he is much easier to laugh at and while some folks take him serious, most don't.

If i was a Journalist, the obvious VERY obvious answer is Trump. But for a normal person i think it'd be Alex. But then again, this is a duo of destiny. Both of them must be on the platform.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25

@hardwenzen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@hardwenzen said:

If i was a Journalist, the obvious VERY obvious answer is Trump. But for a normal person i think it'd be Alex. But then again, this is a duo of destiny. Both of them must be on the platform.

Both might be too much 🤣

Actually just listened to a Trump-Jones interview (from Info Wars), Jones was kissing his ass so hard it was kind of depressing. His attitude towards Trump has cooled in the past, apparently he did not do what Jones was hoping and even did some things he is against.

They might find themselves at odds, should it happen.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I don't really use Twitter or any social for that matter. But won't lie, sipping on coffee while reading Trump tweets used to be part of my morning routine. Mans of piece of shit, but damn it if he isn't entertaining.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3864 Posts

@horgen said:
@JimB said:
@horgen said:

Like who? Trump?

Typical Leftist response.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I wish I had 44 billion to buy something just for fun. Seriously I think this is a massive blunder by Musk. It will just be a big time/money/energy sink for him. He will have to waste precious time dealing with some of the most tedious people in the universe.

Focus on rockets and getting us to Mars mr Musk!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Twitter seems to be collapsing faster than ever, as mroe and more advertisers are shying away from the platform following Elon Musk's crap.

Elon Musk has the Midas Touch. Except for that everything he touches turns to crap.

He is like the unholy trinity of **** in gaming: Sony, Peter Molyneux and EA.

• He buys companies, and they end up collapsing shortly afterwards (like EA)
  • He overpromises and underdelivers (like Peter Molyneux)
  • Everything he puts out is garbage (like Sony Computer Entertainment)

And then there is the vaporware of Cloud Imperium Games.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator

@JimB said:
@horgen said:
@JimB said:
@horgen said:

Like who? Trump?

Typical Leftist response.

Mention some terrorist leaders then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

LMAO

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/not-good-elon-musk-s-satanic-outfit-befuddles-conservatives-who-now-worry-they-championed-the-anti-christ/ar-AA13CsxA?cvid=94f264e7abf64a4fa31dcedf45b0839c

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

@girlusocrazy: “Half as many ads”

Oh boy, the future is bleak, at least for twatter anyway. I hope it crashes and burns.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@zaryia said:

Interesting article.

And yup, I work in marketting,

ah... so YOU'RE part of the problem!

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SargentD

Ill never understand the boner people get for Mega Corporations and their advertising dollars influencing what the general public can say on these tech platforms.

Like why are you happy about this? it sucks butt

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SargentD

Twitter has been garbage for a long time. Not sure Elon can fix it or make it viable.

Either way, it cant be any worse than it already is.

At least the purging will slow down.

Loading Video...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator

@sargentd said:

Ill never understand the boner people get for Mega Corporations and their advertising dollars influencing what the general public can say on these tech platforms.

Republicans love them.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SargentD

@horgen said:
@sargentd said:

Republicans love them.

???? i see a bunch of democrats calling for mega corps to pull advertising from twitter unless Elon starts mass banning on twitter like they were before ???

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

@sargentd: Everyone is taking their business off twitter because its going to become a spambot/hate speech cesspool. Just what you wanted!