Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:

I don't know if that is true about the electoral college. The EC was put into place a long time ago when the demographics and politics of this country were very different. Back then, states were far more separate than they are today. They were essentially individual sovereign nations with very significant differences and practices. I believe the electoral college was somewhat of a compromise between the states so that less populous states wouldn't simply be drowned out by the larger states and have no influence/say in the government.

As for today, I think the EC is less important and could be abolished for presidential elections.

The EC was put in place to give less populous but wealthy white landowners a bigger say.

I disagree. I believe, and many scholars do as well, that it was put in place to give all states a more equal say in the nation's affairs. If you review american history and the founding of the nation, one of the biggest impediments to forming the union was the fears that individual states had that they would lose their autonomy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The EC was put in place to give less populous but wealthy white landowners a bigger say.

I disagree. I believe, and many scholars do as well, that it was put in place to give all states a more equal say in the nation's affairs. If you review american history and the founding of the nation, one of the biggest impediments to forming the union was the fears that individual states had that they would lose their autonomy.

I think you're trying to dress it up but it's the same thing really. The South was less populated than the North. Only white landowners could vote initially and thus the South would have less of those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#53 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I think you're trying to dress it up but it's the same thing really. The South was less populated than the North. Only white landowners could vote initially and thus the South would have less of those.

I'm not trying to dress it up at all. There are plenty of scholarly articles online and in history books that explain why the electoral college was enacted. None of them revolve around empowering wealthy white landowners over some other group of people. The divisions and population differences between north and south in the 1700's were quite different than those in the 1800's. I believe Virginia in 1776, e.g., was the most populous state. There were several small northern states as well that feared being drowned out by larger, more populous states.

I think you are viewing the electoral college by today's filter as opposed to seeing it for what it was when it was created. This is a good article that explains some of the thinking.https://uselectionatlas.org/INFORMATION/INFORMATION/electcollege_history.php

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@horgen: What you doubted me? :(

No, but I knew otherwise it would be just met with: You're wrong.