Your Feelings on Heavy Rain Gameplay?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts

Okay so I just recently read and watched 1up's preview for Heavy Rain. Seems really story driven, which is great, but it also seems as if they revealed what the gameplay will be like. It is all quicktime events so far, which is cool for certain segments of a game, but I do not know if I could play a whole game only doing that. It may feel as if I am not truly in control, but rather watching a movie that I can interact with from time to time.

Of course, this is not officially all the gameplay, or maybe it is, as it is too early to tell. Anyway, what would you think if the gameplay was only quicktime events?

Calviscerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Calviscerate
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

Mhm, the game's gonna be very similar to Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit which I played, finished and enjoyed (until the last act in which the story went all stupid on me).

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit had a lot of quick time events but they did not make up the entire game. Similarly, Heavy Rain's not gonna rely on QTEs completely.

Hm, I dunno. I finished Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit but the thing is, I didn't buy it. I'm not too sure whether these kinda games with this kinda gameplay can justify the price tag. For that reason, I'ma hafta let Heavy Rain slip unless it gets really awesome reviews.

I had a good time with Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. The game certainly wasn't boring for me despite its gameplay and I think Heavy Rain's will be more "intense"?Still, I doubt I'd BUY it. I'd probably save the money fora REAL game. So many AAA exclusives this year.

This ain't gameplay but, for a game that boasts about its technicality, I think some aspects have gotta improve. The woman in the gameplay footage (not from "The Casting" teaser trailer), I dunno why, but has uncanny valley all over her damned face! The least they could do is make her attractive which they didn't! And the voice of Jayden Norman (the junkie detective) is so whiny, it's annoying!

That's just me though.

Back to gameplay. If anyone's unsure about it I suggest they watch reviews of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit.

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

I personally loved Indigo Prophecy and I from what I've seen of Heavy Rain I will def. be picking it up!

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

Man looks good, I can see people complaining though, if a demo comes out or if the game comes out there will be 60 threads on this board saying "Heavy Rain controls suck!" It does seem very story driven and looks good i'm glad it's something new other than a shooter hopefully it comes out soon and more is hown at E3.

Avatar image for ThaGreatness007
ThaGreatness007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ThaGreatness007
Member since 2008 • 535 Posts

It looks good and the qte should be intense. I will try it out becauseof thedetective work.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

It looks great. Didn't mind Fahrenheit too much - hopefully the story's worth it this time.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

If the story is engrossing, I will get, QTE or not. I have not played a single gfame this gen besides resistance where the story pulled me in...I need this.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scianix-Black

If the story is engrossing, I will get, QTE or not. I have not played a single gfame this gen besides resistance where the story pulled me in...I need this.

samuraiguns

Hey, you should play Dreamfall.

You'll like.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 samuraiguns

[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

Scianix-Black

You'll like.

Dreamfall? what system is it on?
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Scianix-Black

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

samuraiguns

You'll like.

Original Xbox/PC.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 samuraiguns

[QUOTE="samuraiguns"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

You'll like.

Scianix-Black

Original Xbox/PC.

when i get my new computer I'll check it out. ;)
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Wow, you LIKED Resistances story but no others? Wierd.
Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
It looks too weird for me. I predict it will be like MGS4: great story, but sub-par gameplay.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 samuraiguns
Wow, you LIKED Resistances story but no others? Wierd.Adziboy
It was the narrative story telling, ask hazelnutman.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I'll tell you what it means to me.

Diverse, innovative, psychological, heavy story driven, exploration.

In other words, another game to look forward to when it comes to unique experience.

This generation, PS3 has been really giving me quite a diverse options when it comes to games. In such a crowded shooters market, I'm glad Sony is trying new IPs and stretching the gaming preferences with quality titles.

Now, when the bloody JRPG's finally hit I can finally leave my PS2 alone.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I will have to keep an eye on this game. It does look to be something special.

GameHog9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GameHog9
Member since 2008 • 1052 Posts

Okay so I just recently read and watched 1up's preview for Heavy Rain. Seems really story driven, which is great, but it also seems as if they revealed what the gameplay will be like. It is all quicktime events so far, which is cool for certain segments of a game, but I do not know if I could play a whole game only doing that. It may feel as if I am not truly in control, but rather watching a movie that I can interact with from time to time.

Of course, this is not officially all the gameplay, or maybe it is, as it is too early to tell. Anyway, what would you think if the gameplay was only quicktime events?

JCMac120

THe preview @... somwehere (cant remember where) hinted theres a lot of exploration. You control where he goes, what he expects, etc. etc, which affects the story. If you miss a big clue, you will leave and the story will play out differetnly that if you searched that dark locker in the corner and found a major piece of evidence.

I like it, besides, it leans more towards an interactive movie feel. Nothing wrong in that, actually great that a developer is exploring different territory :)

Avatar image for 5FingersOfDeath
5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 5FingersOfDeath
Member since 2007 • 1114 Posts

HR is my most anticipated game, I just hope David Cage nails the story on all fronts, because what he's trying to accomplish can be truly revolutionary and can prove that video games have advanced to a point where they can be taken really seriously and perhaps more so then film or book.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

button mashing and quick time events have ruined games for me..

mgs4, re5 and so on..

so i might not get this game if it has a heavy dose of either of them..

sad isn't it, because it looks like a great game.. but i rather watch a cut scene then be focusing in on one spot looking for a button icon to show up or actually play it.. i don't see the appeal, it's not fun, it doesn't make you feel like you're in the game.. it's pointless and actually takes away from it..

JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JCMac120

HR is my most anticipated game, I just hope David Cage nails the story on all fronts, because what he's trying to accomplish can be truly revolutionary and can prove that video games have advanced to a point where they can be taken really seriously and perhaps more so then film or book.

5FingersOfDeath
Yeah I am counting on the story to really be spectacular. That is the selling point behind the game, so it seems. I suppose I will just wait on more information as far as exploration and gameplay. Either way I will be playing this game, whether renting or buying.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Looks boring. I don't like quicktime events enough to play a whole game of them alone.
foossilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foossilo
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts

JCMac120

I don't understand how people did not already know how Heavy Rain's gameplay was going to be like.....seriously....

Like.....some people call themselves gamers? Indigo Prophecy was awesome (well the first 3 quarters was) and that was mostly detective work and QTEs.

Why are people surprised?

foossilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foossilo
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts

mgs4, re5 and so on..

sad isn't it, because it looks like a great game.. but i rather watch a cut scene then be focusing in on one spot looking for a button icon to show up or actually play it.. i don't see the appeal, it's not fun, it doesn't make you feel like you're in the game.. it's pointless and actually takes away from it..

NaughtyRag

So you rather watch the entire game rather than playing it....?

suit yourself

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

[QUOTE="NaughtyRag"]

mgs4, re5 and so on..

foossilo

So you rather watch the entire game rather than playing it....?

suit yourself

i said if it has a heavy dose i won't get it.. after that was a general statement towards quicktime events and button mashing itself.. it's okay, comprehension will come soon enough..
hasnainy2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hasnainy2j
Member since 2003 • 256 Posts

i think it looks and plays outstanding but they need to work on facial expression and animation because it can ruin the game.they have plenty of time so i think they address this issue

AtticusFinch88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AtticusFinch88
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

i think it looks and plays outstanding but they need to work on facial expression and animation because it can ruin the game.they have plenty of time so i think they address this issue

hasnainy2j

Yeah I thought the same thing about the expressions. overall though it looks amazing. I'm buying it day one for sure.

nobodylive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nobodylive
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
Ima make movies and put them on youtube. Either ending with them dying or living
Calviscerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Calviscerate
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

I guess people who think it's solely QTEs have never tried out Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit... Should go watch a review or two.

In Indigo, therewas be a decent amount of exploration and detective work and ocassionally you control your character like in The Sims for consoles where you interact with objects around the room. The get bored of games pretty easily, such as when I played BioShock, Crysis, Call of Duty 4 (WTF, I know right), though I finished all of 'embut I wasn't really bored of Indigo.

Heavy Rain should be better... so long as it does not do what Indigo did with its story in the last quarter of the game.

Both games are written and directed by the same dude so that's what worries me the most, the story turning crazy on me. Besides uncanny valley of course...

Prince-Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Prince-Noctis
Member since 2009 • 1271 Posts

Really didn't like it. Not much more to say haha.

SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts
i remember when people were complaining, stating that mgs4 was basically a movie.... theyve never played indigo prophecy :P anyways, i loved indigo prophecy, and expect heavy rain to be great just like the predecesor. i'm glad that the buttons and the movement of the sticks of the qte aren't int he middle, like the first, it really distracted me from what was happening in the background. i really hope they nail the story for this one though, the second act of IP was kinda... weird.
bullschwitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 bullschwitz
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

Im not sold on it yet. We'll see.

JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JCMac120

[QUOTE="JCMac120"]

foossilo

I don't understand how people did not already know how Heavy Rain's gameplay was going to be like.....seriously....

Like.....some people call themselves gamers? Indigo Prophecy was awesome (well the first 3 quarters was) and that was mostly detective work and QTEs.

Why are people surprised?

People understood that was a concept to the gameplay, but the developers continued to beat around the bush as to if that was all there was to the gameplay or not. Sorry, not everyone has played Indigo Prophecy...didn't know that nullified us as gamers. :roll:

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

samuraiguns
Pretty harsh dude, I mean there are some good stuff this gen. InFamous is a good choice. MGS4 is a pretty bad choice in story if you haven't played the first 3. Played it and didn't get a word.
Ovechkin88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ovechkin88
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts

been waiting on this game for awhile

it's looking great so far

should be alot of fun

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
my feeling is I will wait till I have the demo in my hands rather than pass judgement on something merely from pictures or video
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

It looks very good.

5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 5FingersOfDeath
my feeling is I will wait till I have the demo in my hands rather than pass judgement on something merely from pictures or videohiryu3
I doubt a demo could do this game any justice, since it's mostly story driven, in fact I hope there isn't any demo for this game, because everyone will complain about it's lack of gameplay, I believe what QD & David Cage is trying to prove is that games & movies can be combined into a new form of media, sorta like a fully interactive movie, obviously it's not for everyone, but I'm glad someone has the guts to even try it and take it very seriously.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I like it. Really got sucked in while watching part 2 (gametrailers)
JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JCMac120
[QUOTE="hiryu3"]my feeling is I will wait till I have the demo in my hands rather than pass judgement on something merely from pictures or video5FingersOfDeath
I doubt a demo could do this game any justice, since it's mostly story driven, in fact I hope there isn't any demo for this game, because everyone will complain about it's lack of gameplay, I believe what QD & David Cage is trying to prove is that games & movies can be combined into a new form of media, sorta like a fully interactive movie, obviously it's not for everyone, but I'm glad someone has the guts to even try it and take it very seriously.

See that sounds like an awesome idea. Only, here is the problem...A movie costs roughly $20 (DVD) , but this "interactive" movie will be $60. I'm not saying anything on the price tag, but they have really got to sell this game, and for that much, I doubt that many will find a justified purchase.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
must have game for me
fuzzyking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 fuzzyking
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts

looks more movie, but if the story is really good, i will love it

5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 5FingersOfDeath
[QUOTE="5FingersOfDeath"][QUOTE="hiryu3"]my feeling is I will wait till I have the demo in my hands rather than pass judgement on something merely from pictures or videoJCMac120

See that sounds like an awesome idea. Only, here is the problem...A movie costs roughly $20 (DVD) , but this "interactive" movie will be $60. I'm not saying anything on the price tag, but they have really got to sell this game, and for that much, I doubt that many will find a justified purchase.

An average movie will last you about 2 hours and will be the same movie no matter how many times you watch it, from what I read, Heavy Rain can last between 4 to 10 hours depending of what you do in it and this is not counting the multiple paths that will be available, now if the story holds up for all the paths you come across, $60 is definitely worth it.
lukas1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lukas1051
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts
Quicktime? That's it? Ugh. Not the game for me then, I usually skip cutscenes in games anyway.
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#44 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
Quicktime? That's it? Ugh. Not the game for me then, I usually skip cutscenes in games anyway.lukas1051
Ouch dude, you're gonna pass up God of War III?
THQ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 THQ88
Member since 2008 • 1362 Posts

I don't want the gameplay to be like that the whole game. Make it similar to Alone in The Dark.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#46 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

I'm not the slightest bit interested, sorry.

lukas1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lukas1051
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts
[QUOTE="lukas1051"]Quicktime? That's it? Ugh. Not the game for me then, I usually skip cutscenes in games anyway.Rhen_Var
Ouch dude, you're gonna pass up God of War III?

Are you saying GOW3 will be all quicktime too??
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
I cant wait for this game! I played Fahrenheit, and this looks A LOT like it, in terms of gameplay, which is a good thing in my opinion. This is the type of game where, without some QTE's, the game just wouldn't work. I also want to know more about the FBI guy whose nose constantly bleeds! lol.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
I don't like gameplay, I really never liked the whole concept of Heavy Rain.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
the QTE are only in action other than action your in complete control of character, from movement gadgets and choices etc and it looks great.