Sequels that didn't match or surpass the games before it

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

User Lists: 0

#1 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

What, in your opinion, are some games that never equalled or surpassed the quality set in a game before it. It's hard not to compare a sequel to an original, even when you should maybe be reviewing the game as an individual, but my choices below reflect the comparisons I made.

- To me, both sequels to F.E.A.R. never reached the same heights set in the scary original. The psychological horror was never treated as well and the stories fell dreadfully flat despite the promise of intrigue the first game opened up on.

- Fallout: New Vegas was not as engrossing or fulfilling as Fallout 3; the open world wasn't as big, the increase in glitches was outrageous, and the technical side to the game was that of an unfinished one with constant stuttering framerates, screen tearing, and potential freezing.

- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception was an exciting and perilous adventure with likeable protagonist Nathan Drake back again, but it just wasn't as good as the phenomenal second game. Uncharted 2 was always going to be challenging to surpass.

- Dead Space is my favourite game, and a sequel would had to have done something truly special to level it. Dead Space 2 wasn't nearly as perfect, and whereas the first game was constantly terrifying with a silent protagonist pushing through the horror, the talkative Isaac in #2 (and the rest of the cast) never made an impact on the not-so-good plot, and the occasionally cheap from-behind attacks by enemies was kind of annoying. Still an amazing game, but it was easy to point out the negatives when I made a comparison between the two games.

Edit: Infamous 2 was no way near in the same league as the first game. Sure the karma moments resulted in more diverse plot paths that granted different powers and the gameplay as a whole saw many improvements, but otherwise the story in Infamous was slow but captivating and ended brilliantly, whereas in the sequel it wasn't interesting just like the boring cast of characters.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Personally I thought New Vegas was leaps and bounds better than Fallout 3 (even if it was a buggy nightmare) I would agree with every other game you mentioned Infamous 2 fell flat compared to 1 imo (combination of changing Cole and really weak story) Mass Effect 2 would have to be another, I mean it wasn't quite a "not as good as the first" as it was almost an entire genre change, from RPG to Third Person Shooter. But it was still much worse than the first imo (i mean honestly, i wouldn't have been nearly as pissed if something as simple as "seperate cooldown times for powers" was kept from the first) not to mention getting rid of the loot system. God of War 3, Imo the worst in the series, just a poor example of how to do a sequel, and a shining example of how graphics seem to trump gameplay these days Skyrim, way to dumbed down compared to Oblivion, let alone compared to Morrowind Resident Evil 5, to be honest there really wasn't a way to make a better Resident Evil than 4, the only thing they could have done was try to copy perfection and that still wouldn't have been as good
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Yeah I have to agree with Uncharted 3. One thing that really annoys me is that Nate didn't grow as a character, by the end of the game he was the same as the beginning. At least in UC2 there was a death of a known character that put things in perspective for Drake and of course the love triangle that was really well done. Gameplay wise it was as good though.

God of War 3, Imo the worst in the series, just a poor example of how to do a sequel, and a shining example of how graphics seem to trump gameplay these days.

Resident Evil 5, to be honest there really wasn't a way to make a better Resident Evil than 4, the only thing they could have done was try to copy perfection and that still wouldn't have been as goodPoisoN_Facecam0

You would have an argement if you mentioned story because I couldn't disagree more with your opinion on the gameplay. GOWIII added so much and streamlined the weapon switch option. GOWIII plays far better than the past games and actually perfects the GOW style gameplay, the only reason one would find GOWIII gameplay lacking is if you weren't a fan of the GOW gameplay in the first place.

And you know how RE5 could have been better? Shinji F'ing Mikami :)

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

NFS Shift 2 was a bit disappointing after NFS Shift which remains one of my favourite circuit racing games

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Venom_Raptor

NFS Shift 2 was a bit disappointing after NFS Shift which remains one of my favourite circuit racing games

SadPSPAddict

Oh yes I can't believe I forgot to mention that. NFS: Shift was excellent, and Shift 2: Unleashed (from the previews) looked to be a worthy successor and improvement from the first. However, it was anything but in my opinion. Not only was it really challenging because of bizarre physics during collisions with opponents in which you always lost out, but the aggressive driving rewards were non-existent, and being rewarded for precision driving aswell as aggressive in the first game was really great, but for no apparent reason it was left out in the sequel. Graphics were improved, but otherwise a major disappointment for me.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas was not a sequel though. And bethesda has a very bad track record of putting out unfinished product. Blame the management in that company that is over zealous about rushing stuff out so financial backers get paid.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Resident Evil (after number 3 including code veronica as this was actually the true sequel to number 2)

don't get me wrong number 4 is great but for me resident evil was all about zombies and true survival horror which seemed to completely get losed once it reached 5.

Uncharted 3 - as much as i liked this one i still 100% in my mind see it as a complete copy of the second story, instead of truly being more orginal and a better story, for me personally i want to know whats happened between the 2 games i don't want me to figure it out, why come to the end of the first game nate is getting with elena then the second they aren't together but thats ok because it explains that nate goes off on his adventures and she gets her dream job, by the end he's near enough been killed, he see's life in a different light, but then by the start of the third he back to square one again, and then they get back together again i mean come on that stories been done the series just never seemed to grow. and a dissapointing end boss battle.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PoisoN_Facecam0

Yeah I have to agree with Uncharted 3. One thing that really annoys me is that Nate didn't grow as a character, by the end of the game he was the same as the beginning. At least in UC2 there was a death of a known character that put things in perspective for Drake and of course the love triangle that was really well done. Gameplay wise it was as good though.

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]God of War 3, Imo the worst in the series, just a poor example of how to do a sequel, and a shining example of how graphics seem to trump gameplay these days.

Resident Evil 5, to be honest there really wasn't a way to make a better Resident Evil than 4, the only thing they could have done was try to copy perfection and that still wouldn't have been as goodSwift_Boss_A

You would have an argement if you mentioned story because I couldn't disagree more with your opinion on the gameplay. GOWIII added so much and streamlined the weapon switch option. GOWIII plays far better than the past games and actually perfects the GOW style gameplay, the only reason one would find GOWIII gameplay lacking is if you weren't a fan of the GOW gameplay in the first place.

And you know how RE5 could have been better? Shinji F'ing Mikami :)

I really loved Gow 1, GOW2 was still pretty damn good, and GOW3 was one of the few games I regretted buying this gen, i mean i could have rented it and done it in an evening, also the story was predictable (also to be fair I love japanese hack and slash, DMC, Bayonetta, El Shaddai) and GOW 3 just felt somehow floaty and sloppy at the same time, the combat just didn't have that oomph that the first 2 did. it being 5 hours long also didn't help.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Swift_Boss_A

I really loved Gow 1, GOW2 was still pretty damn good, and GOW3 was one of the few games I regretted buying this gen, i mean i could have rented it and done it in an evening, also the story was predictable (also to be fair I love japanese hack and slash, DMC, Bayonetta, El Shaddai) and GOW 3 just felt somehow floaty and sloppy at the same time, the combat just didn't have that oomph that the first 2 did. it being 5 hours long also didn't help.PoisoN_Facecam0
I think you somehow grew out of God of War gameplay or let the depth of games like DMC and Bayonetta affect how you approached the game. The gameplay is really not all that different and plays like GOW1&2 but more smooth and streamlined. As for length it's about as long as GOW1 and you seriously beat it in 5 hours on your first playthrough? Took me 9 :\ Anyhow Im not going to say certain fans wont find GOW3 disappointing I just believe it's everything to do with story as the gameplay was perfect GOW style.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I think I have to go all the way back to the PS1 days to think of a sequel that was truly bigger and better than its predecessor.

When you play a game for the first time, it's new and exciting. When you play the sequel, it's pretty much the same thing. That's about a 2 - 4 point deuction right there. Not too many games can overcome that.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Uncharted 3: It became a lot better (at least for me) when the aiming was patched. That said however, ND had a juggernaut of a game in UC2, so I can't really blame them for not releasing a sequel that good (still a great game though).

Bioshock 2: It felt like a standalone expansion rather than a sequel.

F.E.A.R. 2 and 3: Still decent games, but pale in comparison to what the first one was.

Call of Duty 3: To be fair, it was something new that was introduced to Call of Duty (an actually story line, quick button events). That said, it really didn't work out that great.

GRAW 2: Same with Bioshock 2.

Thule_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Thule_77
Member since 2009 • 128 Posts

I think this crown is reserved for any EA Sports release. FIFA and Madden to be exact. Rinse and repeat. I hear their exclusive license to the NFL runs out, hopefully SEGA has been preparing. Anyone have any news on that?

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Prototype 2 - The first game is tons better. The Darkness II - Loved it but it has nothing on The Darkness. Uncharted 3 - Dont get me started, UC2 was superior in every way. Killzone 3 - Great game but not as good 2. Saints Row 3 - Watch Angryjoe review, it sums up everything perfectly. Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - No comment . Modern Warfare 2 + 3 - Say what you want about COD but 4 was amazing. God of War 3 - Great game, not as good as 2. Star Wars Force Unleashed II - Awful. Call of Juarez The Cartel - Absolutely terrible!! Socom 4 - Not bad but not great. Mercenaries 2 - Ugh... Resistance 2 - Ugh.. Far Cry 2 - ZzZzZzZz
Avatar image for deactivated-5d8fbc2356478
deactivated-5d8fbc2356478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 164

#14 deactivated-5d8fbc2356478
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

What, in your opinion, are some games that never equalled or surpassed the quality set in a game before it. It's hard not to compare a sequel to an original, even when you should maybe be reviewing the game as an individual, but my choices below reflect the comparisons I made.

- To me, both sequels to F.E.A.R. never reached the same heights set in the scary original. The psychological horror was never treated as well and the stories fell dreadfully flat despite the promise of intrigue the first game opened up on.

- Fallout: New Vegas was not as engrossing or fulfilling as Fallout 3; the open world wasn't as big, the increase in glitches was outrageous, and the technical side to the game was that of an unfinished one with constant stuttering framerates, screen tearing, and potential freezing.

- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception was an exciting and perilous adventure with likeable protagonist Nathan Drake back again, but it just wasn't as good as the phenomenal second game. Uncharted 2 was always going to be challenging to surpass.

- Dead Space is my favourite game, and a sequel would had to have done something truly special to level it. Dead Space 2 wasn't nearly as perfect, and whereas the first game was constantly terrifying with a silent protagonist pushing through the horror, the talkative Isaac in #2 (and the rest of the cast) never made an impact on the not-so-good plot, and the occasionally cheap from-behind attacks by enemies was kind of annoying. Still an amazing game, but it was easy to point out the negatives when I made a comparison between the two games.

Edit: Infamous 2 was no way near in the same league as the first game. Sure the karma moments resulted in more diverse plot paths that granted different powers and the gameplay as a whole saw many improvements, but otherwise the story in Infamous was slow but captivating and ended brilliantly, whereas in the sequel it wasn't interesting just like the boring cast of characters.

Venom_Raptor

I agree with you on F.E.A.R. and the fact that Uncharted 2 was hard to better. I would personally say BioShock 2 (impossible to beat the masterpiece original), Batman: Arkham City (not as good as Asylum - unfocused plot, too many villains), inFamous 2, Condemned 2 and Dead Rising 2. One of the major releases would definitely be Max Payne 3. I can't help but sympathize with Rockstar Vienna, who had to attempt to beat Remedy's previous installments while catering for a modern audience. It just fell short of the mark set by The Fall of Max Payne. Still a good game, but not as good as the aformentioned predecessors.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8fbc2356478
deactivated-5d8fbc2356478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 164

#15 deactivated-5d8fbc2356478
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

Prototype 2 - The first game is tons better. The Darkness II - Loved it but it has nothing on The Darkness. Uncharted 3 - Dont get me started, UC2 was superior in every way. Killzone 3 - Great game but not as good 2. Saints Row 3 - Watch Angryjoe review, it sums up everything perfectly. Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - No comment . Modern Warfare 2 + 3 - Say what you want about COD but 4 was amazing. God of War 3 - Great game, not as good as 2. Star Wars Force Unleashed II - Awful. Call of Juarez The Cartel - Absolutely terrible!! Socom 4 - Not bad but not great. Mercenaries 2 - Ugh... Resistance 2 - Ugh.. Far Cry 2 - ZzZzZzZz cooldust

Agree on Killzone 3, God of War III (still amazing) and Far Cry 2...

Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts

DMC2. No question about it.

Guess you can still count this on the PS3 boards since its included in the HD collection.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Uncharted 3 is the first thing that comes to mind. Not a bad game by any means, but it wasn't near as good as Uncharted 2. ND set the bar way too high for themselves.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Far Cry 2 & Resident Evil 5 for reasons very well known.

Dragon Age II. For the rare moments you leave the city it's to go over the same copy/pasted areas with brainless combat.

GTA IV is boring compared to San Andreas. Realism needs to GTFO of GTA. The controls felt "off" like Niko was always intoxicated.

Jak II HD is a cheap frustrating little game.

Gotta disagree with Uncharted 3. I find 2 inferior in most ways; that game has the benefit of lower expectations and nostalgia.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I liked Dead Space 2 a lot more than Dead Space 1.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Uncharted 3 is definitely the most recent one that comes to mind. It's a great game that kinda falls apart by the end but doesn't even approach the level of greatness set by Uncharted 2. Another one that comes to mind is Killzone 3, both the campaign and the multiplayer are inferior to KZ2's imo.

In reponse to TC saying Dead Space 2 was worst than Dead Space 1, I actually thought it was better. I never thought Dead Space was that special of a game and I never understood the immense praise it got, to me it wasn't scary at all. It was a fun horror, action game in a cool sci-fi setting. Dead Space 2 delivered on top of that and made Isaac an actual character(not much of one but still) which is a better move than leaving him silent.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Dragon Age II. For the rare moments you leave the city it's to go over the same copy/pasted areas with brainless combat.

GTA IV is boring compared to San Andreas. Realism needs to GTFO of GTA. The controls felt "off" like Niko was always intoxicated.

Gotta disagree with Uncharted 3. I find 2 inferior in most ways; that game has the benefit of lower expectations and nostalgia.

Floppy_Jim
Nostalgia? What?
daminuteman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 daminuteman
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Dead space 2 was the best xbox 360 game in 2011. Resident evil 5 was good but resident 4 was the best out of all the series.
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
  • Resident Evil 5, where is the horror?
  • Splinter Cell Conviction (I know this is a PS3 forum and it's not on PS3 but I will still mention it), where is the stealth?
  • Prince of Persia (2008), where is the challenge.
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] I really loved Gow 1, GOW2 was still pretty damn good, and GOW3 was one of the few games I regretted buying this gen, i mean i could have rented it and done it in an evening, also the story was predictable (also to be fair I love japanese hack and slash, DMC, Bayonetta, El Shaddai) and GOW 3 just felt somehow floaty and sloppy at the same time, the combat just didn't have that oomph that the first 2 did. it being 5 hours long also didn't help.Swift_Boss_A

I think you somehow grew out of God of War gameplay or let the depth of games like DMC and Bayonetta affect how you approached the game. The gameplay is really not all that different and plays like GOW1&2 but more smooth and streamlined. As for length it's about as long as GOW1 and you seriously beat it in 5 hours on your first playthrough? Took me 9 :\ Anyhow Im not going to say certain fans wont find GOW3 disappointing I just believe it's everything to do with story as the gameplay was perfect GOW style.

There's a good chance that happened, I ended up playing the DMC's right before Gow 2 came out, at the very least i would call GOW3's gamplay dated then, because if it can't "keep up" with other games in the genre then its not doing a very good job, and yes, it was something like 5 hours 16 minutes my first time through on normal.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Venom_Raptor

Floppy_Jim

I loved the realism in GTA IV, even if it didn't include as much to do in San Andreas. Hopefully GTA V will prove to upgrade into the PS3's San Andreas or something lol

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i think most sequels fall flat but it doesnt mean that it wasnt good...

anything after cod4 isn't as good. i think the feel of the guns, the sound...the maps didn't feel quite as good

dragon age 2- disapointed at not having a grey warden story...and hated the fact that it was set in one area....

far cry 2- it made me soo dizzy....too much driving...

assasins creed brotherhood-story was meh until the very end

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="cooldust"]Prototype 2 - The first game is tons better. The Darkness II - Loved it but it has nothing on The Darkness. Uncharted 3 - Dont get me started, UC2 was superior in every way. Killzone 3 - Great game but not as good 2. Saints Row 3 - Watch Angryjoe review, it sums up everything perfectly. Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - No comment . Modern Warfare 2 + 3 - Say what you want about COD but 4 was amazing. God of War 3 - Great game, not as good as 2. Star Wars Force Unleashed II - Awful. Call of Juarez The Cartel - Absolutely terrible!! Socom 4 - Not bad but not great. Mercenaries 2 - Ugh... Resistance 2 - Ugh.. Far Cry 2 - ZzZzZzZz Mikey2K10

Agree on Killzone 3, God of War III (still amazing) and Far Cry 2...

Nooo, not Far Cry 2! :(

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

MethodManFTW

Nostalgia? What?

I like your sig under that reply. Yes, nostalgia or the equivalent word for what is only a 3 year old game.

I loved the realism in GTA IV, even if it didn't include as much to do in San Andreas. Hopefully GTA V will prove to upgrade into the PS3's San Andreas or something lol

Venom_Raptor

Yeah, that was the main thing. SA had so much more to do and free roaming was way more fun.

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShangTsung17
Member since 2011 • 839 Posts

ugh... so many, where do i even begin?

bioshock 2

both uncharted sequels

infamous 2

dead space 2

i could literally go on and on forever on this one so i'll just say that VERY few sequels have lived up to the originals recently..

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#31 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

Just to mention a few:

-Bioshock 2 wasn't as good as Bioshock, but was still really good.

-Dragon Age II is obvious; way worse than the first one.

-Dead Space 2: Great game but not as good as the first.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Resident Evil 5 (Doesn't even resemble the series it once was... It's not even remotely the same genre any more)

Mass Effect 2 (the first game showed promise and the second game took it in a completely different direction)

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jsmoke03

ugh... so many, where do i even begin?

bioshock 2

both uncharted sequels

infamous 2

dead space 2

i could literally go on and on forever on this one so i'll just say that VERY few sequels have lived up to the originals recently..

ShangTsung17
ive seen a lot of your posts...don't be offended but i don't think you like games much....
Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1113 Posts

Uncharted 3 and Diablo 3 come to mind as obvious choices.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Uncharted 3 would be my choice. A fantastic game, but it had some issues with the combat (bullet sponges, slow health recharge time, and enemies that didn't react when getting shot). Sly 3 also. That was just a terrible game. Dead Space 2 has me confused because it plays much better than DS1, but the enemy spawns were so awful. Everything always appeared behind me.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] I really loved Gow 1, GOW2 was still pretty damn good, and GOW3 was one of the few games I regretted buying this gen, i mean i could have rented it and done it in an evening, also the story was predictable (also to be fair I love japanese hack and slash, DMC, Bayonetta, El Shaddai) and GOW 3 just felt somehow floaty and sloppy at the same time, the combat just didn't have that oomph that the first 2 did. it being 5 hours long also didn't help.Swift_Boss_A

come on god of war3 didnt do eveything better than 2 or1....1 had the best story....1&2 had better puzzles than 3...

also didnt like how the magic was gimped (streamlined)

i still like it a lot but you got to realize there are flaws and some people might actually think it pales in comparison to the first 2.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Swift_Boss_A
There's a good chance that happened, I ended up playing the DMC's right before Gow 2 came out, at the very least i would call GOW3's gamplay dated then, because if it can't "keep up" with other games in the genre then its not doing a very good job, and yes, it was something like 5 hours 16 minutes my first time through on normal.PoisoN_Facecam0
That's a shame :( You liked God of War but allowed another franchise to warp your view and discount the merits of the GOW franchise. I guess it's understandable I cannot enjoy a game series forever either but as a Hack n Slash fan GOW, NG and DMC are for me the Best of the genre, in different ways of course.
ive seen a lot of your posts...don't be offended but i don't think you like games much....jsmoke03
You noticed too :P Im curious about the age, being that jaded is a bit much. No offense Shang :)
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Swift_Boss_A
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]come on god of war3 didnt do eveything better than 2 or1....1 had the best story....1&2 had better puzzles than 3... also didnt like how the magic was gimped (streamlined) i still like it a lot but you got to realize there are flaws and some people might actually think it pales in comparison to the first 2.

Hi KB, I really enjoy some of your posts :P I can definitely see there are flaws in GOW3, most in the way the story was handled and for me personally the lack of adventure. Also I agree, GOW1 indeed has best story, with GOW2 having best puzzles as well as variety. But for my money GOW3 has the best gameplay, weapons and boss fights. The game is up there as good as the previous games because of this and no way in hades does it pale in comparison unless like with fellow Gspotter PoisoN you allow other franchises dictate how you approach a different series.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]come on god of war3 didnt do eveything better than 2 or1....1 had the best story....1&2 had better puzzles than 3... also didnt like how the magic was gimped (streamlined) i still like it a lot but you got to realize there are flaws and some people might actually think it pales in comparison to the first 2.

Hi KB, I really enjoy some of your posts :P I can definitely see there are flaws in GOW3, most in the way the story was handled and for me personally the lack of adventure. Also I agree, GOW1 indeed has best story, with GOW2 having best puzzles as well as variety. But for my money GOW3 has the best gameplay, weapons and boss fights. The game is up there as good as the previous games because of this and no way in hades does it pale in comparison unless like with fellow Gspotter PoisoN you allow other franchises dictate how you approach a different series.

When a genre advances, games in the same genre that don't make those advancements look bad. GoW 3 is such a mindless game when it comes to story and gameplay.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Swift_Boss_A
When a genre advances, games in the same genre that don't make those advancements look bad. GoW 3 is such a mindless game when it comes to story and gameplay.MethodManFTW
Not really, there are different ways to represent a genre and no singular goal otherwise every game in a genre will be clones of each other. For me GOW does justice to lore it takes place in, I can't imagine it playing any different because it feels right. I can play Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry all day but it doesn't provide me with what GOW delivers, that raw intensity and blood lust. Of course GOW doesn't provide me with what NG and DMC delivers. That's why I feel it should be judged on its own merits, GOW may not play in depth but it plays pretty damn well and represents Greek Mythos exceptionally.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jsmoke03
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]come on god of war3 didnt do eveything better than 2 or1....1 had the best story....1&2 had better puzzles than 3... also didnt like how the magic was gimped (streamlined) i still like it a lot but you got to realize there are flaws and some people might actually think it pales in comparison to the first 2.

When a genre advances, games in the same genre that don't make those advancements look bad. GoW 3 is such a mindless game when it comes to story and gameplay.

story i can see your point, but i think its cuz god of war 2 set up 3 in that way...gameplay and pacing was better than 2. not having the bow and arrow tied to magic made this better combat wise compared to 2.i think 2 was the worst out of the series
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jsmoke03
[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]There's a good chance that happened, I ended up playing the DMC's right before Gow 2 came out, at the very least i would call GOW3's gamplay dated then, because if it can't "keep up" with other games in the genre then its not doing a very good job, and yes, it was something like 5 hours 16 minutes my first time through on normal.Swift_Boss_A
That's a shame :( You liked God of War but allowed another franchise to warp your view and discount the merits of the GOW franchise. I guess it's understandable I cannot enjoy a game series forever either but as a Hack n Slash fan GOW, NG and DMC are for me the Best of the genre, in different ways of course.
ive seen a lot of your posts...don't be offended but i don't think you like games much....jsmoke03
You noticed too :P Im curious about the age, being that jaded is a bit much. No offense Shang :)

im guessing he is an old gamer...his complaints tend to match him to retro gaming being the pinnacle of gaming...but whatever
big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

did anyone mention assassin's creed?

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Splinter Cell Conviction - Most dumbed down, & worst sequel in the history of gaming. How does a stealth game turn into a action game? They butchered what was once an amazing, complex, rewarding, strategic, stealth game & turned it into action/shooter game for the COD crowd

Resident Evil 5 -Yep... Butchered what was once beautiful & turned into a linear action game with absolutely no horror.

Red Faction Armagedon - Guerilla was a great game. Going from a open world to a closed off, linear, confined world didnt do the game any justice.

Call Of Juarez The Cartel - I actually enjoyed the 1st 2 games. They felt like authentic western FPS games. Going modern just ruined any charm the series had originally had.

Call Of Duty 4 - The only bad thing i can really pin on this game is that i hated the direction of the multiplayer. I personally feel Cod3s MP design was the better direction to go.

GTA 4 - Amazing game but SA had a better story, with great characters, more crazy & memorable missions, along with a complete sandbox of crazy possiblites. GTA 4 felt like it was trying to be to authentic & real, & also threw away its amazing sandbox gameplay.

FEAR 3 - feels like another generic military shooter

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#45 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Uncharted 2 and 3, but I liked 2. A lot of games I didn't like so far have been the first in their series. I can't remember right now. :P
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

White Knight Chronicles 2. Loved the first, one of my fav. games/JRPGs this gen. but the sequal was just awful.

Maor-Teo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Maor-Teo
Member since 2012 • 87 Posts
-Fallout New Vegas -Skyrim -AC Brotherhood -AC Revelations -Uncharted 3 And some others that I don't remember right now.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

gow 3

gta 4

final fantasy XIII

crysis 2

mgs 4

saint rows the third

infamous 2

that's all I can think of right now

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jsmoke03

did anyone mention assassin's creed?

big_boss1988
assasins creed 2 was better than the original
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

Uncharted 3, the story couldn't surpass or even match with UC2's campaign, the multiplayer did though, but that's not enough