Mouse & Keyboard use in PS3 FPS games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OMGLOLZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 OMGLOLZ
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts

Bummer... I had really hoped I PS3 could replace my old and dying PC for playing FPS games. One can only play the original Counter-Strike for so long. Even BattleField 1942 stutters on my PC.

Thanks for the info and opinions. At least I can keep my expectations in check.

So what does PS3 use the keyboard/mouse for? Is it only for the web browser?

RogueFish
It can be used with games, only if the developer wants to use it
Skippyj9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#102 Skippyj9
Member since 2004 • 2825 Posts
I'd say that if PS3s aren't capable of it. A firmware update will come to fix it in the near future, because Sony has announced that they would like to release a PS3 bundled with a Mouse + keyboard.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 FootballGamer
Member since 2003 • 5521 Posts
[QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="SteelRush"]To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.razors_love_me

I dont want to have to do all of that, cause you still have something over you that needs to be positioned in a certain way, not to mention you have to lean over it. I like to lay back and relax.

Go ahead. How does adding keyboard and mouse support stop you from doing that? No one is going to come to your house and steal your controller.

I explained how it stops me from doing that in bold.

No you didn't. You explained why you would choose to not use a keyboard and mouse. You did not explain why adding keyboard and mouse support would prevent you from using your controller the same as you always have.

Because I am forced to play in a room with M/K users, and I choose to use my controller, I will be destoyed.

No one is forcing you to play in a room with m/k users.You are contradicting yourself.You say you are forced to play and then you say you choose to use your controller which implies that you are doing it in your own free will.

If you "will be destroyed" that is either because you dont have the skills or you are too stubborn to adjust to a new control scheme.

In other words, if you dont like it then dont play the game.Nobody is I quote, "forcing" you.

M/K will always destrol a controller. Quit posting if you cannot admit to the obvious.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="sebapmr"]Its so simple and you people still don't get it. Nobody cares if someone uses a kb m or a steering wheel or even yourpen*s to play a video game. But when you are playing ONLINE, with other people and you have an advantage because you can be more accurate, faster, etc with the device you are using (not saying that it doesnt require skill), then it is unfair to some other that uses a different device and is good using it but can't beat you. Of course the problem would be solved seperated servers were created. This is the solution to pleased everyone, unless some d*ck finds a way to jack into the other servers just to have an unfair advantage over other a get a kick being better unfairly (like peopke with cheatt device do because they probably have nothing better to do with their lives) So, in conclusion, yes support for every control device would be excellent as long as you casn keep a cheat free community where everybody plays in the server corresponding to the way he wants to play the game (even mixed server would be fun, if you are willing to play in these, I know I would). And for single player, Im prety much 100% sure nobody cares how you play these type of games, unless they are REALLY insecure, that would be pretty much the only explanation i could think of.

One of the best post in this thread yet.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="razors_love_me"][QUOTE="sebapmr"]Its so simple and you people still don't get it. Nobody cares if someone uses a kb m or a steering wheel or even yourpen*s to play a video game. But when you are playing ONLINE, with other people and you have an advantage because you can be more accurate, faster, etc with the device you are using (not saying that it doesnt require skill), then it is unfair to some other that uses a different device and is good using it but can't beat you. Of course the problem would be solved seperated servers were created. This is the solution to pleased everyone, unless some d*ck finds a way to jack into the other servers just to have an unfair advantage over other a get a kick being better unfairly (like peopke with cheatt device do because they probably have nothing better to do with their lives) So, in conclusion, yes support for every control device would be excellent as long as you casn keep a cheat free community where everybody plays in the server corresponding to the way he wants to play the game (even mixed server would be fun, if you are willing to play in these, I know I would). And for single player, Im prety much 100% sure nobody cares how you play these type of games, unless they are REALLY insecure, that would be pretty much the only explanation i could think of.

You know, this whole "unfair advantage" thing is caused by those who dont like using a m/k.How can you bring up the excuse of having an unfair advantage when you people are the ones who refuse to use a m/k.Its an unfair advantage when you cant compete with others fairly because they have an advantage not when you decide to use something that gives you a disadvantage.You people CHOOSE to be handicapped in a game and some even go to the extent of bragging how they can own k/m players with a controller.And now you're saying its unfair.What do you people want really?

How am I choosing when I dont have a desk or a table top to play at, nor anywhere to put it. I play in a recliner with a 50inch plasma, so I can only be so close, and I dont want to have to lean over something, because it hurts my back and neck/ neck. It is well known, that you can game a hell of alot longer on a console over a PC desk, without becoming uncomfortable.
joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts
here is your answer to FPS woes on the console , the edge FX controller under gameware. it comes out tomorrow for the PS2 im sure there will be a PS3 verion in the near future http://www.splitfish.com/
sr0586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 sr0586
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts
I think the ps3 should support both, but the rooms on the games could be separated (M/K and Con.) and also have rooms that support both. It'll be smart on sony behalf to do this, cause it can attract pc gamers to buy a ps3.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="joevfx"]here is your answer to FPS woes on the console , the edge FX controller under gameware. it comes out tomorrow for the PS2 im sure there will be a PS3 verion in the near future http://www.splitfish.com/

What the hell is that? I would be scared to touch it.:P
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 FootballGamer
Actally one of those splitfish controllers may work from my recliner.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
[QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="razors_love_me"][QUOTE="sebapmr"]Its so simple and you people still don't get it. Nobody cares if someone uses a kb m or a steering wheel or even yourpen*s to play a video game. But when you are playing ONLINE, with other people and you have an advantage because you can be more accurate, faster, etc with the device you are using (not saying that it doesnt require skill), then it is unfair to some other that uses a different device and is good using it but can't beat you. Of course the problem would be solved seperated servers were created. This is the solution to pleased everyone, unless some d*ck finds a way to jack into the other servers just to have an unfair advantage over other a get a kick being better unfairly (like peopke with cheatt device do because they probably have nothing better to do with their lives) So, in conclusion, yes support for every control device would be excellent as long as you casn keep a cheat free community where everybody plays in the server corresponding to the way he wants to play the game (even mixed server would be fun, if you are willing to play in these, I know I would). And for single player, Im prety much 100% sure nobody cares how you play these type of games, unless they are REALLY insecure, that would be pretty much the only explanation i could think of.

You know, this whole "unfair advantage" thing is caused by those who dont like using a m/k.How can you bring up the excuse of having an unfair advantage when you people are the ones who refuse to use a m/k.Its an unfair advantage when you cant compete with others fairly because they have an advantage not when you decide to use something that gives you a disadvantage.You people CHOOSE to be handicapped in a game and some even go to the extent of bragging how they can own k/m players with a controller.And now you're saying its unfair.What do you people want really?

How am I choosing when I dont have a desk or a table top to play at, nor anywhere to put it. I play in a recliner with a 50inch plasma, so I can only be so close, and I dont want to have to lean over something, because it hurts my back and neck/ neck. It is well known, that you can game a hell of alot longer on a console over a PC desk, without becoming uncomfortable.

It's as simple as getting a piece of wood big enough to hold a wireless K/M and just sit that on your lap as you sit in your recliner. Thats what I plan on doing once I decide it is worth getting a ps3.
joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts

Actally one of those splitfish controllers may work from my recliner.

FootballGamer

yeah  i just hope they make the PS3 one wireless and ill buy it in a second

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#112 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
Having the option to use kb/mouse would be nice.  Options are always nice.  Although I don't know how fair it would be for FPS online games, I do know I prefer that control set up for other games like Oblivion.
tuan3742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 tuan3742
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

alright, time to reopen a dead thread~

i've been looking at everyone's input on the topic, and i find it very entertaining. however, most of you k/m users aren't seeing the real reason why the gamepad users are getting angry. don't get me wrong, i prefer k/m combo for any fps/rts hands down. but that's just what i've been use to for so long.

1) the whole reason why the gamepad users are getting angry is that supposedly k/m are "easier" to use than the gamepad on fps/rts games. and, in fact, they're right. it is easier. but even though it's easy, it's not like anyone can just use a k/m and they're god. it takes time to get  use to everything. i didn't become cal-P in CS just because i use a k/m. and honestly, if cs was designed to use a gamepad, it wouldn't be as intense as it is now. none of those amazing/entertaining 180 degree turning headshots you see in so many cs videos would be around anymore.

2) they're also complaining that if they were to be put up against a k/m user, they have a huge disadvantage. well, if that was the case of me (k/m user) vs. them (controller user) sure, i'd have a huge advantage over them, just because i've used k/m for the longest time and am really good with it. if i were to use a controller, i'd probably get no kills whatsoever. if i had used a gamepad for my fps games for a very long time, things might be different.

3) but then there's people saying "if you don't like using the controllers, stay on the pc." this is where a ton of k/m users get their point in. a pc is really hard to keep updated if you have a short budget. the ps3 has amazing specs, better than most pc users can afford to upgrade to. sony is trying to make a system that rivals pcs, shouldn't it be logical to at least integrate k/m into the few major reasons the pc beats the console? fps, rts, ect?

4) and what is this about wanting to relax, and you can't do that with a k/m? there are some really nice desk chairs out there and they compete with even a recliner. just get one of those dinner trays and you'll be fine.

5) and i noticed that no one talked about this, but what about the fps games and the rts games that AREN'T on the pc. a k/m user can't use his pc to play them if they aren't even there to play. why should k/m users who don't enjoy using the gamepad for fps/rts have to sacrifice their enjoyment for a game because a few gamepad users don't want to use the k/m.

don't get me wrong, i'm not flaming any gamepad users, although, you're arguements a little bland, and really need clarifying, why most of the people here are being really biased and not listening to your real problem. and i'm not saying the k/m users are doing any better at their own arguements, because many of them aren't looking at the big picture. if i have to, i'll use a gamepad. i'd get use to it, and w/e. but personally, i'd probably enjoy the fps/rts better if i could use the k/m for it.

FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="razors_love_me"][QUOTE="sebapmr"]Its so simple and you people still don't get it. Nobody cares if someone uses a kb m or a steering wheel or even yourpen*s to play a video game. But when you are playing ONLINE, with other people and you have an advantage because you can be more accurate, faster, etc with the device you are using (not saying that it doesnt require skill), then it is unfair to some other that uses a different device and is good using it but can't beat you. Of course the problem would be solved seperated servers were created. This is the solution to pleased everyone, unless some d*ck finds a way to jack into the other servers just to have an unfair advantage over other a get a kick being better unfairly (like peopke with cheatt device do because they probably have nothing better to do with their lives) So, in conclusion, yes support for every control device would be excellent as long as you casn keep a cheat free community where everybody plays in the server corresponding to the way he wants to play the game (even mixed server would be fun, if you are willing to play in these, I know I would). And for single player, Im prety much 100% sure nobody cares how you play these type of games, unless they are REALLY insecure, that would be pretty much the only explanation i could think of.

It's as simple as getting a piece of wood big enough to hold a wireless K/M and just sit that on your lap as you sit in your recliner. Thats what I plan on doing once I decide it is worth getting a ps3.

Well I have a big piece of wood, but I dont know how long I can keep it hard in order to use it.:lol:
timjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 timjason
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Here's a solution to controller people who don't like K/M. I don't use a mouse for my computer at all. I don't like them for the same reason controller people don't like them. I actually like to sit in my recliner and surf the web without making my back and neck hurt and a mouse makes my hand go numb after like an hour or so.  I also love FPS games and I play them ON MY PC from my recliner without a table or piece of wood across my lap or anything. HOW???? I have a trackball "mouse" -No table or mouse pad necessary. It's got a trackball (think centipede if your old enough) a little smaller than a golf ball and 4 buttons- two on each side. . I sit the "mouse" in my lap and surf the net on my 24" Dell widescreen all comfy with the recliner leaned back and all. Then when I want to play FEAR or battlefield 2142 or UT I just plug in my KEYPAD (not full keyboard). It goes into a USB port and is about as big as my wallet. Much smaller than even a PS3 controller. I then map the #8key to move forward 4 for  left 6 for right, etc. The keypad sits very comfortably on my lap next to my trackball and has plenty of buttons to map for Jump, crouch, movement etc. . I can chill out comfortably for hours and hours and play my FPS games just the same as the people crouched over their computer desk. SO there you go. you have no excuses now. You can have the best of both worlds (I do) for under $45- less than 1 ps3 controller. No tables- dinner trays- wood required. No leaning over a keyboard or sore necks just lean back and enjoy the accuracy. If you really want to get fancy you can spend an extra $30 and buy a wireless trackball and keypad.

Also- I am not sure what all the fuss is about here. Remember the Atari 2600 even had a trackball a pong style wheel controller (remember Kaboom!)and a keypad and gun controller and that was in like 1981-82. It's like there's some wierd controller only cult here or something.  

Axeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Axeus
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
People UT on the PS2 had Kb/M support. The PS3 version will also have it. Other FPSs are likely to have it. End Discussion.
Rwarner174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Rwarner174
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
My god?  Will the controller only people shut up.  Has any PS3 or XBOX360 owner gone an looked at the shelves at best buy lately.  The Nintendo Wii is flying off the shelves while the PS3 and XBOX360 while doing well are not taking of quite as well.  Why do you think that is?  Because of nintendo's bleeding edge hardware design?  No its because they are offering an alternative control mechanisim.  You controller whores are idiots.  Something needs to change and change fast.  Most normal people are frustrated with the current state of controlling video games.  I wonder what you people did when nintendo introduced the sholder buttons, or the analog stick.  You probably said that has no business on a console?  People said the same thing about hard drives and network capablity.  They said that is for PCs and we all have seen what a failure XBOX live is (extream sarcasim).  Seriously, I was on a board about 5 years and people were arguing that an ethernet port has no place on a console.  You controler whores are idiots!! 

That being said, this splitfish solution looks awsome.  I hope they make a wireless bluetooth version for PS3 and I also hope that they catch on so game developers add support for them.  The one valid point controller whores make is that it is uncomfortable to use a keyboard and mouse in the living room.  What are your feelings on devices like these.  I am sure you are going to say they are stupid.  Lets go back to the NES control pad, that takes real talent to use.

All and all, keyboard and mouse or keyboard mouse like options like the ones from splitfish are going to happen weather a small majority of morons want it or not.
GastaS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 GastaS
Member since 2004 • 245 Posts
I Heard UT 2007 was going to do this because it gives you the option to play against PC gamers who also have UT 2007, but this is just a rumor I heard.G-Legend
You think PS3 will have cross platform with Microsoft Windows OS?! Keep dream, if that happen will be with Xbox 360 and PC.
Rwarner174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Rwarner174
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I hope microsoft tries to put a stop to that and things like it.  It could be all that mac and linux need to start increasing its user base.  I don't even know if that is in microsofts legal right to put a stop to it.  I would have to look into that?  I mean its easy to say that microsoft could put a stop to it, but do you have any legal proof?  I mean they may be able to, I really just don't know. 

Anyway, that would be a horrible move by microsoft to alinate tens of thousands of online unreal tournament players.  Along with Quake and Half Life its the most popular online fps game.  Break down the walls, give us PS3 vs PC.  In fact why not PS3 vs PC vs XBOX360?  It would be in everybody's best interest.  Who doesn't want a bigger online gaming community.  Help PS3 and XBOX360 have almost identical control sceems and PC is completely configurable. 

Its time to start treating these "consoles" for what they are.  PCs.  Hell anything you through a processor and memory into and run instructions is a computer.  This arguemnt on keeping PCs and consoles seperate is stupid.  All consoles are PCs by definition, they all have been since the first PONG chassis.

I have a dream, a dream when all gaming consoles and pcs are treated equally.  A dream where all bigoted console turds shut there mouths and quit impeeding a free gaming enviornment.  A world where a console playing turd can spring 50$ hard earned dollars and play with a mouse instead of crying "its unfair, unfair I tell you".  Life is unfair, better you get used to it now.
stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
the only thing i know is that resistance doesn't suppurt mouse/keybord

jl_m
yeah...they said it would create an imbalance which they didn't want to deal with, or something to that effect.
whiteshark29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 whiteshark29
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I'll never buy a console FPS until it has mouse support, thats why the developer should include it.
tripleight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 tripleight
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts
ok w*t*f keyboard and mouse is best, i love controllers as well ive got a controller for my pc so wats all the fuss
it doesnt matter.why should anyone care about wat someone else is doing. it happens all the time at school in society everyone bothers themselves with everyone else's problems. i just dont see the point screw it, stop caring about other people care about yourself.
BenMorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 BenMorrow
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The one player games such as oblivion should pose no problem with the argument against keyboard/mouse becuase its personal choice.

Its the online play that poses the problem, so why not set up two different servers one with keyboard/mouseplayers and one with Ps3controller players.

It may be a possible solution:D

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

I don't think it's possible now, but maybe later with a firmware update it could be done. I doubt it, but who knows, right?azzezino

It's possible now, just no games use it. However you can look forward to Unreal.

MrBlackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125 MrBlackbeard
Member since 2007 • 366 Posts

i'll be picking up ps3 version of ut2k7 100%. i'm used to kb/mouse so it'll be really easy for me. just like some of you are used to analog sticks. i get whopped online with a controller but now i'll use my battlefield 2 twich! it's great they're adding these features.

and i think they should separate the servers to keep things smooth

gundamfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 gundamfan80
Member since 2005 • 684 Posts

check this out if no one posted it yet

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802714

works with any game. problem solved

agent_029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 agent_029
Member since 2005 • 125 Posts
Unreal Tournament supports mouse and keyboard..that+s what I remembered from some article I read before..
cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts

i hope not. it will be un fair for people who dont have a Mouseand Keyboard

heyheydoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 heyheydoh
Member since 2005 • 1859 Posts
^^ How can you have a PS3 and not have a PC? And if you have a PC I would think that you would also own a mouse and KB....
zehoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 zehoo
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts

i hope not. it will be un fair for people who dont have a Mouseand Keyboard

cooldust

All I hear is "I don't want you to have fun playing your favourite type of game with your favourite controller for the game (kb/m)".

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

Mouse and keyboard for consoles would be a disaster. A lot of devs are, thankfully,againstthis and its ultimately up to them, not sony, if it happens.If you want mouse and keyboard thats what a PC is for. I dont want to sit at a desk to play a console.theburg

You don't want to and its fine. Saying it would be a disaster is simply ignorant. How could extra features that you DO NOT have to use be a bad thing? I have my PS3 hooked up to the same HDTV I have my PC hooked too. I prefer mouse and keyboard any day compared to a controller. Its all about choices and preferences.

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

gundamfan80

No the problem is not solved. The analog (right analog) is pressure sensitive in most FPS as standard set up. What happens with this is when you have amouse in use it defaults or maps itas the analog.Problem is, the mouse starts to move the weapon and then it jerks once you reach acertain torque.

gundamfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 gundamfan80
Member since 2005 • 684 Posts
[QUOTE="gundamfan80"]

Taijiquan

No the problem is not solved. The analog (right analog) is pressure sensitive in most FPS as standard set up. What happens with this is when you have amouse in use it defaults or maps itas the analog.Problem is, the mouse starts to move the weapon and then it jerks once you reach acertain torque.

with the fragfx you can adjust the sensitivity on the fly with either the small thumb wheel on the left stick or there are two buttons on the mouse itself that lowers or increases it while you have them pressed. so I fail to see how this wouldn't be an equal replacement.

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

[QUOTE="G-Legend"]I Heard UT 2007 was going to do this because it gives you the option to play against PC gamers who also have UT 2007, but this is just a rumor I heard.GastaS
You think PS3 will have cross platform with Microsoft Windows OS?! Keep dream, if that happen will be with Xbox 360 and PC.

Who cares that it's MS Windows the point was I heard that it you could do cross platform with it. MS doesn't have anything to do with Epic making a game playable between PS3 and PC because the OS doesn't have to do anything with it. It's all about servers so get your facts straight. And for proof of this just look at The Agency.

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
Using a mouse and keyboard requires you to sit at a desk, though. I'd rather sit on my couch and use a controller. Besides, I think a controller allows you to make quicker decisions and gives youmore precision than a keyboard. I mean, yes, the mouse is better than an analog stick, but a keyboard is not better than a second analog stick and the easy access buttons that a controller offers.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

I'm considering getting a PS3, and the biggest selling point to me is the mouse and keyboard support. I'm hoping that I can use the mouse/keyboard combo in FPS games. I used to play a lot of FPS games on the PC, now I can't afford the PC upgrades to keep up with the games. I tried some FPS games on PS2 but I never get used to using the joystick.

I haven't heard a lot of discussions on mouse/keyboard use on PS3. Does the current FPS games in PS3 support mouse & keyboard? Will future games support them? Anybody knows?

RogueFish

PS3 games will not support mouse and keyboard. That is what the controllers are for so if you so badly need a mouse get a PC. It will require extra work to get developers to balance online play with some using mouse and others with a controller. Imagine sitting on your couch playing with a mouse andkeyboard unless you have your PS3 hooked up at a PC desk.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

a mouse is more accurate then a joy stick to, so its kind of unfair

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts
[QUOTE="RogueFish"]

I'm considering getting a PS3, and the biggest selling point to me is the mouse and keyboard support. I'm hoping that I can use the mouse/keyboard combo in FPS games. I used to play a lot of FPS games on the PC, now I can't afford the PC upgrades to keep up with the games. I tried some FPS games on PS2 but I never get used to using the joystick.

I haven't heard a lot of discussions on mouse/keyboard use on PS3. Does the current FPS games in PS3 support mouse & keyboard? Will future games support them? Anybody knows?

Deihmos

PS3 games will not support mouse and keyboard. That is what the controllers are for so if you so badly need a mouse get a PC. It will require extra work to get developers to balance online play with some using mouse and others with a controller. Imagine sitting on your couch playing with a mouse andkeyboard unless you have your PS3 hooked up at a PC desk.

umm UNREAL ALREADY DOES, know what for people that don't wanna use it don't.

It is not unfair in any way. People buy peripherals all the time to give tem an edge in gaming (2000dpi mouse etc)

Also PS3 can have Linux on it, a lot of people have it on theirs (and thus a keyboard and mouse).

Just because you don't sit on your couch and use a keyboard doesn't mean that others have a setup where they can do this.

There are many examples of people with entertainment computers and use a wireless keyboard and mouse on their PC (which has a monitor as a TV)

Bloodcore77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#139 Bloodcore77
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

Many people are saying that a mouse and keyboard would suck because it is unfair and people would be sitting at their pc desk to play but that's untrue.

For the fairness part, some people have headsets and others don't. Isn't that unfair? Don't I have to go out and buy one to make it even. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I'm still good at say resistance and any other FPS games without it so people aren't gonna be forced to go out and buy a mouse and keyboard to make it fair.

As for the sitting at your desk all day, it will most likely be wireless or at least have a wireless and wired versions so you could put it on your lap to play. There will probably be a mousepad extender of some kind too made by the producer of the keyboard or another party so you could play that on your lap too. It may sound confusing but I'm sure that you would have to sit at a desk all day to play FPS so put a sock in it all of you haters.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="RogueFish"]

RahKayne

umm UNREAL ALREADY DOES, know what for people that don't wanna use it don't.

It is not unfair in any way. People buy peripherals all the time to give tem an edge in gaming (2000dpi mouse etc)

Also PS3 can have Linux on it, a lot of people have it on theirs (and thus a keyboard and mouse).

Just because you don't sit on your couch and use a keyboard doesn't mean that others have a setup where they can do this.

There are many examples of people with entertainment computers and use a wireless keyboard and mouse on their PC (which has a monitor as a TV)

It was never confirmed and people only saw a tech demo on a developers PS3. Epic never oncer said the game will support KB and Mouse and I am sure it wouldn't. How are they going to balance the game to be fair for both? Just don't see developers wasting their time optimizing the game for both when everyone with a console has a gamepad. The above poster made a comparison to a mic which doesn't make sense to me.

Flavante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Flavante
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts

Um guys you guys are forgot about this...

Here's the link for more information on the new peripheral>>>http://gear.ign.com/articles/769/769529p1.html

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Deihmos
That is a 3rd party product so i wouldn't expect much. It was suppose to be out a while ago so I don't know what happened.
Flavante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Flavante
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts
So what do you guys think of the new controller slash mouse.
triggertime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 triggertime
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It really is'nt anyone's business what controller or accessories another player's using. Maybe all the naysaying on the mouse n keyboard because their scared of getting owned. Well their right! they will get owned. I will stick to the PC Mr.PS3 game developer. But the minute a game like BF2 or similar FPS is created for PS3 to support M&K, I'll be ordering the PS3 most def. Until then, u naysayers will be safe :)
Drakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Drakier
Member since 2004 • 1444 Posts

Why would you want to ruin console games with mouse and key board support? Like seriously, that would suck nads extremely. The controller takes a lot more skill then the mouse and key board, I'm a big PC FPS gamer myself but I would very much like there to be a boarder between PC and Console FPS. SquirrelMaster-
Well the controller would be good for original console games like Resistance, Halo 3, Killzone 2, Gears of War but I want PC ported games like UT3 to have a keyboard/mouse support because my PC isn't good enough so I want to have the same PC experience on my PS3.

EDIT: About the 3rd party peripheral, it looks really retarded to me. Keyboard/mouse is for PC gamers, gamepads are for console games, what type of audience is this thing going for? O.o

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

[QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"]if you want to play FPS's with a crappy keyboard and mouse then go use your pc, i hope to god they never make any of the future ps3 fps's keyboard and mouse supportable-DirtySanchez-
I don't understand why you care what controller someone else uses. It would make fps and rts games much more accessible and is the best way to play these games. Why do you want to deprive people of the ability to enjoy their games? What good is the latest graphics and AI if you can't move and aim?

but you can move and aim, i have never had a problem with usein a controller for a FPS, if you get your kicks by usein a keyboard and mouse then stick to the place that uses them the pc, theres no need for them in console gamein

Why not? I use a gamepad when playing some games on the pc. Why can't I play a FPS on the playstation 3 with the same controls I've used my whole life for them? If you want to use the gamepad, go ahead. I want to use a keyboard and mouse, as I don't enjoy fps games with the controller, as I can't control my character properly.

but theres absolutly nothin wrong with the control on a controler, as ive said if you prefer to use a keyboard and mouse then stick to the system that uses them, a console has no use for a keyboard and mouse when playin a game

You are arguing just to argue and wasting everyone's timed. Stop being bull headed. Having the support of keyboard and mouse wouldn't hurt you in the least bit. Get over it.

iwishiwasrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#147 iwishiwasrich
Member since 2006 • 616 Posts
buy this http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802714
Avatar image for Generalkill8888
Generalkill8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Generalkill8888
Member since 2004 • 5305 Posts
Sorry, I didnt really want to read 8 pages of comments, so will you be able to play most FPS games on the PS3 with any keyboard and mouse? Or do you have to buy that ugly looking controller?
RogueFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 RogueFish
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts

Comparisons between kb/m & controller in FPS should be made with a driving game. Driving games support both steering wheel peripherals and regular controller.

Is it fair to have a contest between two people with comparable skills, one using a wheel and the other using a sixaxis? Probably not. But that is not a good argument to try to prevent developers from incorporating different peripheral support for a game.

Face it, for some (the majority of?) people, it's a more enjoyable experience to play FPS w/ kb/m, the same way playing a driving game is more enjoyable using a steering wheel. Have you ever been frustrated of not being able to make a hairpin turn smoothly with your controller? That's the same feeling of frustration of trying to get a bead in FPS and overshooting your mark. You can argue that if I have skills I'd be able to do it. Fine. It's just not a fun and enjoyable experience to me. I'm playing games mostly for fun, not to brag to other people about how skilled I am. Will my using kb/m ruin your fun? Maybe. Are you that sensitive?

To Generalkill8888: support for kb/m for PS3 games are determined by the game developers. They have to programthe game to support it, it's not inherent in the PS3 (at least not right now). That ugly looking controller makes it possible for you to substitute your sixaxis with a mouse and fragchuck, for anything. It translates your mouse/chuck input to something resembling sixaxis' response.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Deihmos

Sorry, I didnt really want to read 8 pages of comments, so will you be able to play most FPS games on the PS3 with any keyboard and mouse? Or do you have to buy that ugly looking controller?Generalkill8888

There are no Ps3 FPS games that support a mouse and keyboard. If you want to play with a mouse then you will need to play on a computer.