Mouse & Keyboard use in PS3 FPS games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts
anyone that says its hard to get a head shot with a mouse and keyboard has never seen the USA counter strike team play before. I went to a compitition a year ago and they ha the supposed best halo 2 player in teh world there competign on an Xbox and the counter strike team playing n ther PCs. THe halo kis was sooooo borign to watch had to liek basically unload his or use a sniper type rifle to get head shots. THe CS team ont eh otehr hadn was using freakign hand guns from across the map and gettign head shots with one shot. Freakign amazing. you have to see a professional CS match to understand how much better the mosue and keyboard are.
Avatar image for SicsStringFreak
SicsStringFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SicsStringFreak
Member since 2003 • 1679 Posts
[QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"]if you want to play FPS's with a crappy keyboard and mouse then go use your pc, i hope to god they never make any of the future ps3 fps's keyboard and mouse supportable-DirtySanchez-
I don't understand why you care what controller someone else uses. It would make fps and rts games much more accessible and is the best way to play these games. Why do you want to deprive people of the ability to enjoy their games? What good is the latest graphics and AI if you can't move and aim?

but you can move and aim, i have never had a problem with usein a controller for a FPS, if you get your kicks by usein a keyboard and mouse then stick to the place that uses them the pc, theres no need for them in console gamein

Why not? I use a gamepad when playing some games on the pc. Why can't I play a FPS on the playstation 3 with the same controls I've used my whole life for them? If you want to use the gamepad, go ahead. I want to use a keyboard and mouse, as I don't enjoy fps games with the controller, as I can't control my character properly.

but theres absolutly nothin wrong with the control on a controler, as ive said if you prefer to use a keyboard and mouse then stick to the system that uses them, a console has no use for a keyboard and mouse when playin a game

There is something wrong with the control on a controller, which is why people want to use a keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse is much easier to control, and makes the game much more fun and accessible for a lot of people. The PC lets you use wheels, footpedals, joysticks, gamepad controllers, keyboards, mouse, and there is even a golf game with a little club. Why can't consoles give you the same kind of choice you have with a pc? No one is forcing you to use the keyboard and mouse, you can use the regular controller if you want. Maybe you and other people prefer the controller, whereas I and some other people prefer the keyboard and mouse. You said there is nothing wrong with the controller, so what do you care what other people use? No one is forcing you to control the game in any way. If you want to use a controller with a PC FPS go ahead, I don't care what you use. Why doesn't a console have a use for a keyboard and mouse when playing a game, when its the preferred setup for certain people with certain games? Are you going to spy on me playing a console game with a keyboard and mouse and then get upset? I don't understand how what I control the game with has any impact whatsoever on anyone else. The game will still be made the same way.

a keyboard and mouse is just so unnatural for shootin, its jsut wrong and a waste of time to be used on the ps3, you want a mouse and keyboard stick to the pc, you dont see me tryin to come over to your system and make changes for my greedy self do you?, you dont liek the controllor then dont use a console

your theory makes no sense as where, their are controllers for pc gamming, not to mention using the 360 controller on pcs to game as well.

i dont have a theory i have an opinion, i never said their arnt controllors for the pc, all im sayin is you dont see my comein to your stuff tryin to make changes

ahh but you are trying to make changes, the playstation company is putting mouse and keyboard support on their new console. for variety yet, you dont want it to happen, which infringes upon the people that do want it, and you turn right around and say your not comming to theirs and trying to change theirs and telling them to stick to pc, yeah thats real hypocritical.
whoady4shoady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 whoady4shoady
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts
anyone that says its hard to get a head shot with a mouse and keyboard has never seen the USA counter strike team play before. I went to a compitition a year ago and they ha the supposed best halo 2 player in teh world there competign on an Xbox and the counter strike team playing n ther PCs. THe halo kis was sooooo borign to watch had to liek basically unload his or use a sniper type rifle to get head shots. THe CS team ont eh otehr hadn was using freakign hand guns from across the map and gettign head shots with one shot. Freakign amazing. you have to see a professional CS match to understand how much better the mosue and keyboard are. joevfx

This is what Im saying.
SicsStringFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SicsStringFreak
[QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="whoady4shoady"][QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="whoady4shoady"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"]if you want to play FPS's with a crappy keyboard and mouse then go use your pc, i hope to god they never make any of the future ps3 fps's keyboard and mouse supportablewhoady4shoady
I don't understand why you care what controller someone else uses. It would make fps and rts games much more accessible and is the best way to play these games. Why do you want to deprive people of the ability to enjoy their games? What good is the latest graphics and AI if you can't move and aim?

but you can move and aim, i have never had a problem with usein a controller for a FPS, if you get your kicks by usein a keyboard and mouse then stick to the place that uses them the pc, theres no need for them in console gamein

Why not? I use a gamepad when playing some games on the pc. Why can't I play a FPS on the playstation 3 with the same controls I've used my whole life for them? If you want to use the gamepad, go ahead. I want to use a keyboard and mouse, as I don't enjoy fps games with the controller, as I can't control my character properly.

but theres absolutly nothin wrong with the control on a controler, as ive said if you prefer to use a keyboard and mouse then stick to the system that uses them, a console has no use for a keyboard and mouse when playin a game

There is something wrong with the control on a controller, which is why people want to use a keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse is much easier to control, and makes the game much more fun and accessible for a lot of people. The PC lets you use wheels, footpedals, joysticks, gamepad controllers, keyboards, mouse, and there is even a golf game with a little club. Why can't consoles give you the same kind of choice you have with a pc? No one is forcing you to use the keyboard and mouse, you can use the regular controller if you want. Maybe you and other people prefer the controller, whereas I and some other people prefer the keyboard and mouse. You said there is nothing wrong with the controller, so what do you care what other people use? No one is forcing you to control the game in any way. If you want to use a controller with a PC FPS go ahead, I don't care what you use. Why doesn't a console have a use for a keyboard and mouse when playing a game, when its the preferred setup for certain people with certain games? Are you going to spy on me playing a console game with a keyboard and mouse and then get upset? I don't understand how what I control the game with has any impact whatsoever on anyone else. The game will still be made the same way.

I buy consoles, cause I dont want to have to set the mouse and keyboard down on a desk or table top, and lean over it. I find it uncomfortable and tedious. I buy games to enjoy and relax, not to be uncomfortable. Stick to a computer if you want this type of control. Also, It would not be fair if you used a mouse, and I used a controller, we all know what would happen.

actually that is a myth, a mouse and keyboard are not generally faster. only to certian individual, they both have pros and cons. and neither has anything substantially better going for it, the controller or a mouse and keyboard, is only preference, to think that one person with one would beat the other person with the opposite is not only dumb but very closed minded.

Your kidding right. Its simple as hell to get headshots with a mouse and keyboard compared to a controller.

ahh but it is with a controller as well if you have used it long enough. and i have, granted mouse and keyboard is great, but for most of my fps ill stick to the controller. not saying i wont use mouse and keybaord as well,. but prolly not as much. though when it comes to the rts oh hell yeah mouse keyboard hands down.

Ive been playing shooters such as socom and Halo for years, and I am jsut as good as any of the top players out there with aiming with a controller. Ive played with a mouse and KB at a frieds house about a total of 5 times between CSS and Fear. I was instantly better at aiming on a PC. It is simple. Point and click. Dont get me wrong, If they split the games up into 2 groups, Im all for it. I just dont want to get screwed out of enjoying my big screen with a controller.

ahh but as i said before what may be natrual for you might not be for others, the same exact way you feel may be the opposit of someone else. for me i am very fast with a controller, since pong on atari baby. i know all gamming, depends upon the games, like FEAR fear was designed for mouse and keyboard, but halo blows with a mouse and keyboard. compared to a controller, again this is my perception not a fact, i count like very few facts in this entire thread/.
whoady4shoady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 whoady4shoady
Here you go........ Easy Aim

and Another
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
[QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"]if you want to play FPS's with a crappy keyboard and mouse then go use your pc, i hope to god they never make any of the future ps3 fps's keyboard and mouse supportableSicsStringFreak

a keyboard and mouse is just so unnatural for shootin, its jsut wrong and a waste of time to be used on the ps3, you want a mouse and keyboard stick to the pc, you dont see me tryin to come over to your system and make changes for my greedy self do you?, you dont liek the controllor then dont use a console

your theory makes no sense as where, their are controllers for pc gamming, not to mention using the 360 controller on pcs to game as well.

i dont have a theory i have an opinion, i never said their arnt controllors for the pc, all im sayin is you dont see my comein to your stuff tryin to make changes

ahh but you are trying to make changes, the playstation company is putting mouse and keyboard support on their new console. for variety yet, you dont want it to happen, which infringes upon the people that do want it, and you turn right around and say your not comming to theirs and trying to change theirs and telling them to stick to pc, yeah thats real hypocritical.

how?, your the one that wants the changes, im not askin for a change, i dont want the change, a console shouldnt have to support a unnatural control to get people to buy it, i want to play my games with other people who play them with the same love for the console, game controller and all, theres nothin wrong with that, im not agaisnt them puttin a keyboard and mouse on the system for typein and crap, but i am for playin games
joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts
tlogitech needs to invent a mouse an keyboard style controller for sitting on a couch in front on your TV. somethign u can lean on your lap and not a table.
whoady4shoady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 whoady4shoady
[QUOTE="whoady4shoady"][QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="whoady4shoady"][QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="whoady4shoady"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"]if you want to play FPS's with a crappy keyboard and mouse then go use your pc, i hope to god they never make any of the future ps3 fps's keyboard and mouse supportableSicsStringFreak

I buy consoles, cause I dont want to have to set the mouse and keyboard down on a desk or table top, and lean over it. I find it uncomfortable and tedious. I buy games to enjoy and relax, not to be uncomfortable. Stick to a computer if you want this type of control. Also, It would not be fair if you used a mouse, and I used a controller, we all know what would happen.

actually that is a myth, a mouse and keyboard are not generally faster. only to certian individual, they both have pros and cons. and neither has anything substantially better going for it, the controller or a mouse and keyboard, is only preference, to think that one person with one would beat the other person with the opposite is not only dumb but very closed minded.

Your kidding right. Its simple as hell to get headshots with a mouse and keyboard compared to a controller.

ahh but it is with a controller as well if you have used it long enough. and i have, granted mouse and keyboard is great, but for most of my fps ill stick to the controller. not saying i wont use mouse and keybaord as well,. but prolly not as much. though when it comes to the rts oh hell yeah mouse keyboard hands down.

Ive been playing shooters such as socom and Halo for years, and I am jsut as good as any of the top players out there with aiming with a controller. Ive played with a mouse and KB at a frieds house about a total of 5 times between CSS and Fear. I was instantly better at aiming on a PC. It is simple. Point and click. Dont get me wrong, If they split the games up into 2 groups, Im all for it. I just dont want to get screwed out of enjoying my big screen with a controller.

ahh but as i said before what may be natrual for you might not be for others, the same exact way you feel may be the opposit of someone else. for me i am very fast with a controller, since pong on atari baby. i know all gamming, depends upon the games, like FEAR fear was designed for mouse and keyboard, but halo blows with a mouse and keyboard. compared to a controller, again this is my perception not a fact, i count like very few facts in this entire thread/.

I hear what your saying bro, and I respect your opinion. It all comes down to this.......we all just want to enjoy gaming in a different way.
whoady4shoady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 whoady4shoady
tlogitech needs to invent a mouse an keyboard style controller for sitting on a couch in front on your TV. somethign u can lean on your lap and not a table.joevfx

Sounds nice.
SicsStringFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 SicsStringFreak
[QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="-DirtySanchez-"]if you want to play FPS's with a crappy keyboard and mouse then go use your pc, i hope to god they never make any of the future ps3 fps's keyboard and mouse supportable-DirtySanchez-

how?, your the one that wants the changes, im not askin for a change, i dont want the change, a console shouldnt have to support a unnatural control to get people to buy it, i want to play my games with other people who play them with the same love for the console, game controller and all, theres nothin wrong with that, im not agaisnt them puttin a keyboard and mouse on the system for typein and crap, but i am for playin games

no im not lookin to put a change on something that isnt going to be done, some want it on there and some dont feel its unnatural, i myself, use both, depends on game and mood. they will prolly have seperate matches though just like ranked and unranked matches online, so you dont have to worry about being beat in one or the other because you use one or the other. i mean it could be done very easily. i am interested in seeing what comes out of it because, i do not suffer from a closed mind.
Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
All these layers of quotes is getting ridiculous, so I'm starting this over.  I would like someone opposed to giving people the OPTION to use the controller type they choose to explain the reasoning in very logical statements, because this back and forth so far is getting us nowhere.

I'm going to do my best here to very slowly and logically explain my position, and then people with other opinion's can explain why they disagree with me.

1.  Right now a PC supports just about any controller type you can imagine, and people choose different ones depending on what is fun for them for a particular game type.  I prefer to use a keyboard and mouse for FPS and RTS games, a joystick for flight sims, a wheel and pedals for racing games, and a gamepad for side scrollers and fighting games.  I may change this up depending on the particular game.  No one is forced to use any controller for any game, and anyone can pick whatever controller best fits their needs.

2.  Right now a PS3 only supports a gamepad, even though it has and will continue to have just as large a variety of games as the PC.

3.  Why not let people choose whatever controller type is comfortable for them for a certain game?  Some people will use a gamepad for FPS, some will use the keyboard and mouse.  The keyboard and mouse is already supported for internet use, why not gaming?  Someone that uses a gamepad for FPS on the consoles is perfectly capable of playing on a PC using the gamepad, why shouldn't the reverse also be true?

4.  If someone buys a console to play games and have fun, why should this person be deprived of the ability to play the game the way he wants?  The game will not change at all for anyone depending on the supported controller types. 

WARRZONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 WARRZONE
Member since 2006 • 1308 Posts
PS3 should stay a console with maybe some keyboard / mouse integration on the side like for the web browser or maybe some secondary control in some games. It might come to play in some RPG games, but I want it to be optional. I do not want it to be a computer first, and a console second.
mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
Aaaargh. Listening to the controller only folks is cancer inducing. Again, whoever said that a mouse and keyboard is only a "preference" and controllers can do the same if you're skilled is abso-friggin-lutely nuts. I'm digging my ps3. I'd dig it even more if I could get a hold of that guy in a FPS game with me on a mouse and keyboard and him on a sixaxis. Mmmmmmmmmm......headshots.
mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
Aaaargh. Listening to the controller only folks is cancer inducing. Again, whoever said that a mouse and keyboard is only a "preference" and controllers can do the same if you're skilled is abso-friggin-lutely nuts. I'm digging my ps3. I'd dig it even more if I could get a hold of that guy in a FPS game with me on a mouse and keyboard and him on a sixaxis. Mmmmmmmmmm......headshots.
sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

I'm considering getting a PS3, and the biggest selling point to me is the mouse and keyboard support. I'm hoping that I can use the mouse/keyboard combo in FPS games. I used to play a lot of FPS games on the PC, now I can't afford the PC upgrades to keep up with the games. I tried some FPS games on PS2 but I never get used to using the joystick.

I haven't heard a lot of discussions on mouse/keyboard use on PS3. Does the current FPS games in PS3 support mouse & keyboard? Will future games support them? Anybody knows?

RogueFish
i hope they don`t, that would kill a possible serious PS3 online gaming community. The only thing youll see is unskilled gamers with a k/m. The gamepad is a challenge, it has a higher learning curve than k/m. Aiming is actually difficult at first, just like in real life. Every idiot can use a k/m. And the feeling of pulling a trigger is great, nothing like clicking on a mouse, oh god i hope Sony doesn`t make a stupid desition on this.
jpbc9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jpbc9999
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts
That couldnt be further from the truth.  Are you telling me my buddy who play Q3wave has no skill.  He is prolly best player in community.  K/M support for PS3 games would add to the learning curve.  Games like quake are only possible with K/M.  What would happen is anyone who wanted to remain competitive online would buy the following; Allsop metal mouse pad, and a logitec mx510.  I guess a gaming keyboard to.  All in all its under 100 bucks.  People who have never learned to use a K/M cfg have got to go ahead and try it for atleast a few months.  I gaurentee most will prefer that to controler. 

[QUOTE="RogueFish"]

I'm considering getting a PS3, and the biggest selling point to me is the mouse and keyboard support. I'm hoping that I can use the mouse/keyboard combo in FPS games. I used to play a lot of FPS games on the PC, now I can't afford the PC upgrades to keep up with the games. I tried some FPS games on PS2 but I never get used to using the joystick.

I haven't heard a lot of discussions on mouse/keyboard use on PS3. Does the current FPS games in PS3 support mouse & keyboard? Will future games support them? Anybody knows?

sebbi11
i hope they don`t, that would kill a possible serious PS3 online gaming community. The only thing youll see is unskilled gamers with a k/m. The gamepad is a challenge, it has a higher learning curve than k/m. Aiming is actually difficult at first, just like in real life. Every idiot can use a k/m. And the feeling of pulling a trigger is great, nothing like clicking on a mouse, oh god i hope Sony doesn`t make a stupid desition on this.

jpbc9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 jpbc9999
Nintendo is in the middle of proving there are more ways than a controler for input.  Honestly, what did you think all those usb ports were for?

[QUOTE="RogueFish"]

sebbi11

razors_love_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 razors_love_me
Member since 2006 • 299 Posts
All these layers of quotes is getting ridiculous, so I'm starting this over. I would like someone opposed to giving people the OPTION to use the controller type they choose to explain the reasoning in very logical statements, because this back and forth so far is getting us nowhere.

I'm going to do my best here to very slowly and logically explain my position, and then people with other opinion's can explain why they disagree with me.

1. Right now a PC supports just about any controller type you can imagine, and people choose different ones depending on what is fun for them for a particular game type. I prefer to use a keyboard and mouse for FPS and RTS games, a joystick for flight sims, a wheel and pedals for racing games, and a gamepad for side scrollers and fighting games. I may change this up depending on the particular game. No one is forced to use any controller for any game, and anyone can pick whatever controller best fits their needs.

2. Right now a PS3 only supports a gamepad, even though it has and will continue to have just as large a variety of games as the PC.

3. Why not let people choose whatever controller type is comfortable for them for a certain game? Some people will use a gamepad for FPS, some will use the keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse is already supported for internet use, why not gaming? Someone that uses a gamepad for FPS on the consoles is perfectly capable of playing on a PC using the gamepad, why shouldn't the reverse also be true?

4. If someone buys a console to play games and have fun, why should this person be deprived of the ability to play the game the way he wants? The game will not change at all for anyone depending on the supported controller types.

Maxpowers_32

Well said.Thats what I've been trying to explain to these gamepad freaks but they just dont seem to get the point.The ps3 is capable of performing as a well as a pc and why should non-pc gamers be deprived of playing an fps game in its true form? Because they dont have the money to afford a souped-up pc?That shouldn't be a reason.

Everyone deserves to play the game they want even if its a console.If gamepad lovers dont like pc fps on the console, then stick to console shooters and dont play k&m shooters on the console.

Just because they dont like it, it doesn't mean people who want to play using K&m shouldn't be given what they want.Learn to SHARE for gods sake.
zehoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 zehoo
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts
While I may enjoy my pc, it drains my bank account like a man with 4 ex wives and 10 kids to keep it at a good level. It would be nice to play console games (fps games are the games I most enjoy) with a variety of controls. That way Sony can expand it's market via pulling in some of the die hard PC users like me that just don't enjoy a control pad (which is a far less accurate way of playing the game and removes a lot of control from the player via the sloppy aiming system). Sure, you control pad guys can still use your pad, we can even play on different servers so that you can still lounge on your couch. You won't be forced to play with a mouse/keyboard and players like me that don't want to play certain games without them can be happy as well. That way it is a win/win situation where we can both be happy, more people are in the community which equals greater funding for future titles which equals better games in the future. It's still 10 odd years off till a proper motion sensitive controller hits the gaming market that ends the stranglehold the mouse has over FPS games but eventually you will get systems where you just need to wear something on your head and that will track where you are looking at so that you just need to point and shoot etc with a motion sensitive controller rather than having to move your vision with it as well (while I find the wii better than a control pad for aiming, the current games on it still lack the power of a mouse when it comes to aiming, well at least the current games on it do). So lets all play nice for the next 10 years, you don't have to stop using your control pad, but you don't need to spoil my fun in the process.
SteelRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 SteelRush
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set.  That's what I intend to do.
RogueFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RogueFish
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts

Whoa, people. I didn't intend to open a fight club with this topic.

Wasn't there a PS2 FPS game that supported keyboard/mouse? What was it? Quake? UT? Half-Life? I remember reading the back of the game case about it. Did I remember it right? It's old and you can't find the game in stores anymore. Anybody remembers? It's a port of a popular PC game, and the reason I didn't try it out was because I already owned the game on the PC (back in the days when my PC was still on the cutting edge).

That PS2 game supported both the original controller and k/m. I bet any PS3 game to come out would support the original controller, so there's no need for alarm that you'd be required to use k/m. And if the servers have options to restrict controller types, both sides don't need to see each other either.

Avatar image for psycotictaratua
psycotictaratua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 psycotictaratua
Member since 2005 • 969 Posts
I seriously doubt that this will ever happen, although if it does, it will be only for single-player games.  The keyboard and mouse setup is too acurate for many console games, and playing multiplayer with one player having a huge advantage, not because of skill, but because they don't use the standard controller is just unfair.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 FootballGamer
Member since 2003 • 5521 Posts
That couldnt be further from the truth. Are you telling me my buddy who play Q3wave has no skill. He is prolly best player in community. K/M support for PS3 games would add to the learning curve. Games like quake are only possible with K/M. What would happen is anyone who wanted to remain competitive online would buy the following; Allsop metal mouse pad, and a logitec mx510. I guess a gaming keyboard to. All in all its under 100 bucks. People who have never learned to use a K/M cfg have got to go ahead and try it for atleast a few months. I gaurentee most will prefer that to controler.

[QUOTE="sebbi11"][QUOTE="RogueFish"]

jpbc9999

Nope, I didnt buy a 50 ich plasma, and a nice as recliner, to use a mouse and keyboard at a desk or tabletop. I want my wireless controller. Now once again, If they seperate the M/K and controller communities online, I have no problem, since that will keep it fair.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 FootballGamer
While I may enjoy my pc, it drains my bank account like a man with 4 ex wives and 10 kids to keep it at a good level. It would be nice to play console games (fps games are the games I most enjoy) with a variety of controls. That way Sony can expand it's market via pulling in some of the die hard PC users like me that just don't enjoy a control pad (which is a far less accurate way of playing the game and removes a lot of control from the player via the sloppy aiming system). Sure, you control pad guys can still use your pad, we can even play on different servers so that you can still lounge on your couch. You won't be forced to play with a mouse/keyboard and players like me that don't want to play certain games without them can be happy as well. That way it is a win/win situation where we can both be happy, more people are in the community which equals greater funding for future titles which equals better games in the future. It's still 10 odd years off till a proper motion sensitive controller hits the gaming market that ends the stranglehold the mouse has over FPS games but eventually you will get systems where you just need to wear something on your head and that will track where you are looking at so that you just need to point and shoot etc with a motion sensitive controller rather than having to move your vision with it as well (while I find the wii better than a control pad for aiming, the current games on it still lack the power of a mouse when it comes to aiming, well at least the current games on it do). So lets all play nice for the next 10 years, you don't have to stop using your control pad, but you don't need to spoil my fun in the process.zehoo

Great Post.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 FootballGamer
To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.SteelRush

I dont want to have to do all of that, cause you still have something over you that needs to be positioned in a certain way, not to mention you have to lean over it. I like to lay back and relax.
Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Maxpowers_32
[QUOTE="SteelRush"]To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.FootballGamer

I dont want to have to do all of that, cause you still have something over you that needs to be positioned in a certain way, not to mention you have to lean over it. I like to lay back and relax.

Go ahead.  How does adding keyboard and mouse support stop you from doing that?  No one is going to come to your house and steal your controller. 
jpbc9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jpbc9999
They will balance it somehow.  Most likely separate the players that use different setups. 

[QUOTE="jpbc9999"]That couldnt be further from the truth. Are you telling me my buddy who play Q3wave has no skill. He is prolly best player in community. K/M support for PS3 games would add to the learning curve. Games like quake are only possible with K/M. What would happen is anyone who wanted to remain competitive online would buy the following; Allsop metal mouse pad, and a logitec mx510. I guess a gaming keyboard to. All in all its under 100 bucks. People who have never learned to use a K/M cfg have got to go ahead and try it for atleast a few months. I gaurentee most will prefer that to controler.

FootballGamer

Nope, I didnt buy a 50 ich plasma, and a nice as recliner, to use a mouse and keyboard at a desk or tabletop. I want my wireless controller. Now once again, If they seperate the M/K and controller communities online, I have no problem, since that will keep it fair.

philhilluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 philhilluk
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts

Why don't the KB and mouse players just learn to play using the controller? - I know it takes more skill but surely its a good thing to try and improve your own gaming ability by taking it to the next level.

Riding my bike with the stabalizers on sure makes bike riding a lot easier.... but at some point those stabalizers have to come off and you need to start riding in a grown-up fashion.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
I agree with the previous poster. It would be cool as long as the tourneys are separate with Mouse/Keyboard and without.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="SteelRush"]To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.Maxpowers_32

Go ahead. How does adding keyboard and mouse support stop you from doing that? No one is going to come to your house and steal your controller.

I explained how it stops me from doing that in bold.
SicsStringFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SicsStringFreak
That couldnt be further from the truth.  Are you telling me my buddy who play Q3wave has no skill.  He is prolly best player in community.  K/M support for PS3 games would add to the learning curve.  Games like quake are only possible with K/M.  What would happen is anyone who wanted to remain competitive online would buy the following; Allsop metal mouse pad, and a logitec mx510.  I guess a gaming keyboard to.  All in all its under 100 bucks.  People who have never learned to use a K/M cfg have got to go ahead and try it for atleast a few months.  I gaurentee most will prefer that to controler. 

jpbc9999

wrong quake was great with a n64 controller, and xbox 360, if you couldnt get great controls, it was user-fault.
Fresh769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Fresh769
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
I would imagine that UT 07 will support mouse/keyboard, that would be my best guess as to what game supports it.
Sgt_Phan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Sgt_Phan
Member since 2006 • 819 Posts
yea dat b str8 if games in FPS in PS3 can use a mouse n keyboard but look where u gonna place the keyboard n he mouse???? on ur lap?? lolz
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

RogueFish

UT 2007 has been confirmed to support keyboard and mouse.  (I'm guessing the game has to support it, the PS3 firmware doesn't need an update)

A simple google search and you can find that info on UT2007).
Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Maxpowers_32
[QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="SteelRush"]To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.FootballGamer

Go ahead. How does adding keyboard and mouse support stop you from doing that? No one is going to come to your house and steal your controller.

No you didn't.  You explained why you would choose to not use a keyboard and mouse.  You did not explain why adding keyboard and mouse support would prevent you from using your controller the same as you always have. 
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

RogueFish
I am in the same boat as you. I want a ps3, but refuse to get one if it doesn't have strong keyboard/mouse support for at the very least it's fps and online rpg games. take Resistance fall of man for example. It's doesn't have keyboard/mouse support, so in my eyes it is a sorry weak fps for the ps3 that will never see the light of day in my house. I am not willing to downgrade my fps experience to play my fps on a console. I will just stick to my pc if thats the case.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#88 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Mouse and keyboard for consoles would be a disaster. A lot of devs are, thankfully, against this and its ultimately up to them, not sony, if it happens. If you want mouse and keyboard thats what a PC is for. I dont want to sit at a desk to play a console.theburg

Exactly.Really don't buy a console if you want to use a Keyboard and Mouse. Deal with what you got, because really it would be as dumb as buying a PC then only palying game with a controller? What is the point. Now on MMOs i can understand the need for consoles to support a keyboard and mouse, but deal with the controllers and if you don't like them don't buy consoles.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
actually that is a myth, a mouse and keyboard are not generally faster. only to certian individual, they both have pros and cons. and neither has anything substantially better going for it, the controller or a mouse and keyboard, is only preference, to think that one person with one would beat the other person with the opposite is not only dumb but very closed minded. SicsStringFreak
lol you are so far from the truth, I bet you can't even see the truth on the horizon. For fps keyboard/mouse support is better and thats a fact. I don't care how many time you try to argue it, facts are facts and keyboard/mouse support is WAY WAY better for fps period. I remember when I first switched to pc gaming. I hated the keyboard/mouse until I played for awhile. Now I wouldn't go back to a controller for fps even if it ment I couldn't play a fps unless I used a controller. I would just give up fps. The only one I see here thats close minded is you if you really think keyboard/mouse has no advantage in fps over a controller. I can't even play my old fps anymore because of how crappy a controller is for fps. I can't wait to see people like you still try to agrue your ingorant point of view once they play a fps with a controller against somebody using a keyboard/mouse setup. You will get owned every time.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="SteelRush"]To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.Maxpowers_32

No you didn't. You explained why you would choose to not use a keyboard and mouse. You did not explain why adding keyboard and mouse support would prevent you from using your controller the same as you always have.

Because I am forced to play in a room with M/K users, and I choose to use my controller, I will be destoyed.
FootballGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 FootballGamer
[QUOTE="SicsStringFreak"]actually that is a myth, a mouse and keyboard are not generally faster. only to certian individual, they both have pros and cons. and neither has anything substantially better going for it, the controller or a mouse and keyboard, is only preference, to think that one person with one would beat the other person with the opposite is not only dumb but very closed minded. l-_-l
lol you are so far from the truth, I bet you can't even see the truth on the horizon. For fps keyboard/mouse support is better and thats a fact. I don't care how many time you try to argue it, facts are facts and keyboard/mouse support is WAY WAY better for fps period. I remember when I first switched to pc gaming. I hated the keyboard/mouse until I played for awhile. Now I wouldn't go back to a controller for fps even if it ment I couldn't play a fps unless I used a controller. I would just give up fps. The only one I see here thats close minded is you if you really think keyboard/mouse has no advamtage in fps over a controller. I can't even play my old fps anymore because of how crappy a controller is for fps. I can't want to see people like you still try to agrue your ingorant point of view once they play a fps with a controller against somebody using a keyboard/mouse setup. You will get owned every time.

Good post, and I totally agree.
PoOkYX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PoOkYX
Member since 2003 • 3122 Posts

keyboard and mouse is so much better

because its like your actually useing a gun in real life

because u twist your wrists liek your holding a gun

as opposed to twiddling your thumbs like your in a thumb wrestling fight lol

Avatar image for NothingBeatsNow
NothingBeatsNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 NothingBeatsNow
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts
This shouldn't even be argued. If people are even arguing that controllers are better for FPS than they're wrong. It's a proven fact that if two individuals with the same skill level were to to play paces with eachother the turning time allowed from the mouse would be significantly faster than the person using the controller. The thumb stick is only so precise that it would be so hard to aim at the speed of mouse sensitivity. This is common sense people!
Avatar image for NothingBeatsNow
NothingBeatsNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 NothingBeatsNow
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts
Also,

My view of the PS3 is different from some of the people on here that are saying that keyboard/mouse are for PC's only.
Well, here's a wakeup call. The PS3 is practicly a PC. It's not a PC in exact form but it functions and has abilities just as a PC does so saying that a keyboard/mouse would ruin its "console" image is stupid. Think about it.

UnReal-4-Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 UnReal-4-Life
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

Great posts good read. To get strait to the point I play PC and consoles(PS2 PS3 Xbox). I'm good with both FPS useing a controller or a Keyboard / mouse. I have been playing and supporting the UnReal Tornament Community  sence 1999. I have several servers up for UT2004 and Plan to get servers set up for UT2007. I would love both PS3 and PC users to play on my servers. Lots of people lots of fun.

Now I have Resistance and Call of Duty3. I just beat Resistance on medium and hard. It was a fun and great challange to use a joystick I really enjoyed it very much. Now the reason (I think) that they don't support Keyboard/Mouse for Those FPSs that are coming out is that the game is not difficult enough to handle the  Keyboard/Mouse.  I think if I used a Keyboard/Mouse set up on Resistance it would of been too easy and I would of beaten it in  a couple of hours on hard.
Now Online MultiPlayer it would be great for Keyboard/Mouse set up. I think if a fps is difficult to play and takes crazy skills like UT or Quake to play then the Keyboard/Mouse is a must. Companys won't put out a First Person Shooter with Keyboard/Mouse support unless it can handle the game play. So I beleave its the companys that wont do it for some of the reasons I mentioned.

Epic would NEVER release UT2007 with out Keyboard/Mouse support.

Now I have played with a gamepad for my left and mouse for my right that is a good way too. Many people do this.
As in UnReal Championship on PS2 you could use a gamepad and mouse or keyboard and mouse or just the games pad. It will most likely have this same support for all of them.

I can't wait for UT2007 for the PS3 I will have a server up and modding a zark for it and more. Useing the PC to set up a server so PS3 players can enjoy what PC players have been for yaers.

-JayWong-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 -JayWong-
Member since 2006 • 1703 Posts
It will really throw off the balance. Mouse is WAY more precise than a controller even w/ soft auto aim enabled in most games.
razors_love_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 razors_love_me
[QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="Maxpowers_32"][QUOTE="FootballGamer"][QUOTE="SteelRush"]To those worried about having to play on a desk, you know you can get a lap tray and just put the kb+mouse on that, and game from the couch, with a wireless set. That's what I intend to do.FootballGamer

No you didn't. You explained why you would choose to not use a keyboard and mouse. You did not explain why adding keyboard and mouse support would prevent you from using your controller the same as you always have.

Because I am forced to play in a room with M/K users, and I choose to use my controller, I will be destoyed.

No one is forcing you to play in a room with m/k users.You are contradicting yourself.You say you are forced to play and then you say you choose to use your controller which implies that you are doing it in your own free will.

If you "will be destroyed" that is either because you dont have the skills or you are too stubborn to adjust to a new control scheme.

In other words, if you dont like it then dont play the game.Nobody is I quote, "forcing" you.
sebapmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 sebapmr
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts
Its so simple and you people still don't get it. Nobody cares if someone uses a kb m or a steering wheel or even yourpen*s to play a video game. But when you are playing ONLINE, with other people and you have an advantage because you can be more accurate, faster, etc with the device you are using (not saying that it doesnt require skill), then it is unfair to some other that uses a different device and is good using it but can't beat you. Of course the problem would be solved seperated servers were created. This is the solution to pleased everyone, unless some d*ck finds a way to jack into the other servers just to have an unfair advantage over other a get a kick being better unfairly (like peopke with cheatt device do because they probably have nothing better to do with their lives) So, in conclusion, yes support for every control device would be excellent as long as you casn keep a cheat free community where everybody plays in the server corresponding to the way he wants to play the game (even mixed server would be fun, if you are willing to play in these, I know I would). And for single player, Im prety much 100% sure nobody cares how you play these type of games, unless they are REALLY insecure, that would be pretty much the only explanation i could think of.
razors_love_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 razors_love_me
[QUOTE="sebapmr"]Its so simple and you people still don't get it. Nobody cares if someone uses a kb m or a steering wheel or even yourpen*s to play a video game. But when you are playing ONLINE, with other people and you have an advantage because you can be more accurate, faster, etc with the device you are using (not saying that it doesnt require skill), then it is unfair to some other that uses a different device and is good using it but can't beat you. Of course the problem would be solved seperated servers were created. This is the solution to pleased everyone, unless some d*ck finds a way to jack into the other servers just to have an unfair advantage over other a get a kick being better unfairly (like peopke with cheatt device do because they probably have nothing better to do with their lives) So, in conclusion, yes support for every control device would be excellent as long as you casn keep a cheat free community where everybody plays in the server corresponding to the way he wants to play the game (even mixed server would be fun, if you are willing to play in these, I know I would). And for single player, Im prety much 100% sure nobody cares how you play these type of games, unless they are REALLY insecure, that would be pretty much the only explanation i could think of.

You know, this whole "unfair advantage" thing is caused by those who dont like using a m/k.How can you bring up the excuse of having an unfair advantage when you people are the ones who refuse to use a m/k.Its an unfair advantage when you cant compete with others fairly because they have an advantage not when you decide to use something that gives you a disadvantage.You people CHOOSE to be handicapped in a game and some even go to the extent of bragging how they can own k/m players with a controller.And now you're saying its unfair.What do you people want really?
sebapmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 sebapmr
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts
You're right, But what if I couldn't hope to ever be as good as most people with and mk because I just can't. But, even if Im not the best with a controller I can still put up a fight against great players. Why would I have to use an mk if im worst with that than with a controller but even with a controller don't have a chance against a good mk player That's why it's "unfair", because some ppl just aren't good with an mk, even if they know it's way more accurate than a controller. Do you get it now? Anf for ppl bragging about being betterwith a controller than ppl with mk, let them play in mixed server and prove their smack talk, its that simple But I, as many as other players, just want to have the choice to play controller only without anybody rubbing in our face the fact than an mk setup is way more accurate than a controller. Thank you.