M.A.G. is a Massive Dissapointment

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DragoonKain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DragoonKain1687
Member since 2009 • 256 Posts

So, 2 days ago, M.A.G. opened its doors to the general public with internet access. You can still get it from this link:

http://psnbeta.us.playstation.com/MAG/BetaVoucher.php

Now, I was always kind of exited, or better said, interested in MAG. Mostly because it was something kind of new, and interesting. But, the Beta showed me something completely different. I was not expecting good graphics AT ALL. I mean, its is after all suppossed to have 256 players at once, so you know, graphics CANT be good if you want to have a solid fps rate and no lag.

But what I did not expect was the gameplay to be just so archaic. Its like a piece of a museum. Gameplay feels like late 90's. Even Halo CE is better, and even thinking of comparing both is an insult.

Im just thinking that Sony should give this guys a tour through Guerrilla and show the a real FPS. This crap will suck once it releases. I mean, words cant explain just how bad it is, which is why Ive added a link to DL and see for yourself.

Im much better with the Bad Company 2 Beta which by the way is amazing!

If somebody says that MAG is good, dont even try talking to him, only the most rabid fanboys will say that.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Yikes. I mean, I didn't care for it either, but that's a little harsh.

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

Another failed atempt to try to pry the people away from MW2 online.

ThE_rB2_ExPeRt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ThE_rB2_ExPeRt
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts
hahahaha tru dat
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DragoonKain1687

amsfm6

Try it. You will understand it. Seriously, Ive been in all of Sony's betas so far, including Home and Killzone 2, but this, this has to be THE single worst experience. I mean, it plays like the first Medal of Honor, only that now instead of a zoom, you have the iron sights.

And not only that, after downloading it, you need to do a 2.8 Gigs update (though this one can be cutted whenever you want and resume it later).

Still, when you have other online games like Killzone 2, MW 2 and Bad Company 2, you have to wonder, did Sony ever tried the game??

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

And not only that, after downloading it, you need to do a 2.8 Gigs update (though this one can be cutted whenever you want and resume it later).

DragoonKain1687

The 2.8 gig download for the GOW3 demo is worth far more of your time.

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
What, specifically, is so archaic about it? Personally I'm critical of it because I don't think so many people can work together effectively, especially on PSN where mics are so much less often used. But I'd like to see you elaborate a bit more on your own critiques of the game, having actually played it.
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts
[QUOTE="DragoonKain1687"]M.A.G. is a Massive Dissapointment the Bad Company 2 Beta which by the way is amazing!

I just couldn't agree more with those two statements. As that is the exact same way I feel. If anyone wants to play a great beta then definitely go with Battlefield Bad Company 2, because you will be glad you did.
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DragoonKain1687

[QUOTE="DragoonKain1687"]

Sloan360

The 2.8 gig download for the GOW3 demo is worth far more of your time.

So true :D Im glad I have it. Took me a while to DL but well worth it.

What, specifically, is so archaic about it? Personally I'm critical of it because I don't think so many people can work together effectively, especially on PSN where mics are so much less often used. But I'd like to see you elaborate a bit more on your own critiques of the game, having actually played it.thunderf00t

Apparently, every Mic owner is playing MAG. I mean, I had to mute the whole TV just to avoid getting overly annoyed. Believe me, voice communication is not an issue.

And regarding the gameplay, its more like a "Play and See" which is why I left you guys with the site to get an access code.

Believe me, the game is not worth you time AND money. But I encourage people to try it and see for thyselves. Its much easier that way.

And by archaic, I mean, its not fluent as KZ, MW or BC, its something you notice as soon as you pick the controller. I felt like I was playing Timeshift!!!

lahdeedah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 lahdeedah
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts
Is it really that bad? Is there a ranking system?
Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
Thanks for the link. I never thought the game looked very good to begin with, but I'll give it a try to see for myself.
ricta123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ricta123
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts

I spent all day DL'ing this update for the beta and I was disappointed. I tried to like it but had little fun

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DragoonKain1687

Is it really that bad? Is there a ranking system?lahdeedah

Yes there is, its basically the usual deal, its cool, but it would really hook people if Zipper completely remake the gameplay. I mean, graphically its not a bad game, specially taking into consideration the magnitude. What really puts this baby down, miserably down is its bad gameplay.

If it had a gameplay similar to KZ2, MW2 or BC 2 or H3 I seriously think this would be THE next big thing, but as they are right now, its not going to cause much of an impression.

BigBoss712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BigBoss712
Member since 2005 • 13742 Posts

I agree, I will be skipping MAG, at least we still have bad company 2 :)

Yero2115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Yero2115
Member since 2006 • 155 Posts

I wasn't massively dissapointed with MAG. I expected it to be mediocre, and it is.

Zipper Interactive needs to remake SOCOM 2 and call it a day. THAT is what they are known for.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="amsfm6"]

DragoonKain1687

Try it. You will understand it. Seriously, Ive been in all of Sony's betas so far, including Home and Killzone 2, but this, this has to be THE single worst experience. I mean, it plays like the first Medal of Honor, only that now instead of a zoom, you have the iron sights.

Still, when you have other online games like Killzone 2, MW 2 and Bad Company 2, you have to wonder, did Sony ever tried the game??

Everyone has an opinion, now then as for the iron sights I guess you didn't take the time to browse the upgrade system. The gameplay revolves around teamwork which is where the fun is, for me atleast, your not going to have fun playing this if your expecting a point and shoot level up type game espiecally if you didn't know you can get a scope. It's nice you provided a link for people to try it out though. I realize you didn't like it but before you say things like no zoom, you should probibly atleast attempt to know the basic's.

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

It wasn't a dissapointment for me. I'm loving it!

Sure, Bad Company 2's Beta is better (opinion) but then again, nothing is better than Bad Company 2 online (opinion....again).

Still, MAG's a Day 1 buy for me.

sexy_fool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sexy_fool69
Member since 2008 • 748 Posts

I wasn't massively dissapointed with MAG. I expected it to be mediocre, and it is.

Zipper Interactive needs to remake SOCOM 2 and call it a day. THAT is what they are known for.

Yero2115
i cant agree more. socom 1 and 2 were the best online games ever. after that things went down hill
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

well you need to level up first to get points in order to unlock customized parts....then you will get a scope...

it's like mmorpg...you start from level 1 with worst weapons and attritube.

most FPS dont have to unlock customized parts, sprint and range to detect fire etc...

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

What are you talking about, I played the MAG Beta and it's much better than all the current online fps on the PS3 apart from Resistance 2, but thats just a personal choice for me

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#22 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

amsfm6

lol...agreed, I haven't had alot of time with it myself "BUT" from what time I have had with it I must say that it's hard to argue with the TC. I'll give a 2nd chance though because I'm of this weekend.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Well, as I've stated in previous MAG threads. Zipper's at the helm, so I'm not surprised.

Zipper has to be one of the worst Sony sub divisions ever created. They couldn't even get Socom right and due to their official lackluster responses, didn't seem to care about it either. I laughed my ass off when I found out Zipper was doing this game because I know it's doomed to fail from the start.

I don't bash companies much. But one thing I'll gladly jump at the chance to speak against, is Zipper Interactive. One of the biggest jokes in the gaming industry (in my opinion) who have bitten off way more than they can chew.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

MAG is okay but its not my cup of tea. I think Battlefield BC2 was funner beta.

unknownceltic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 unknownceltic
Member since 2008 • 243 Posts

I actually liked it, since I joined the team with the least amount of ppl in it, and almost every game I got paired up with ppl wanting to use teamwork to win.

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

As soon as people started hyping this game just because of 256 players, I knew it would dissapoint most people.

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

Your crazy dude! Ive been playin the MAG beta since.... 5am this morning and I love it!!!

The rush of that many people, the feeling that there will always be someone around a corner, the fact that you wont see the same sniper get a headshot off you 10 times in a row, and the awesome stat tracking and in-game micro objectives make MAG even more promising than I thought so at first.

Now if only more people wore their freakin headsets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Denji

Here's a neat little question....how do you join a freakn' game?! This Queue BS is getting really old pretty quick.

EDIT: Nevermind.

CrispexOps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CrispexOps
Member since 2009 • 182 Posts

I have yet to download it. Is it worth it?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I'm enjoying it, and like the gameplay. Though at times it makes me feel insignificant as my individual actions tend to have little effect on a battle involving 255 other players. This is also true in the small(er) game mode too. You don't accomplish anything, only your team does.

blaze000119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blaze000119
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

So, 2 days ago, M.A.G. opened its doors to the general public with internet access. You can still get it from this link:

Now, I was always kind of exited, or better said, interested in MAG. Mostly because it was something kind of new, and interesting. But, the Beta showed me something completely different. I was not expecting good graphics AT ALL. I mean, its is after all suppossed to have 256 players at once, so you know, graphics CANT be good if you want to have a solid fps rate and no lag.

But what I did not expect was the gameplay to be just so archaic. Its like a piece of a museum. Gameplay feels like late 90's. Even Halo CE is better, and even thinking of comparing both is an insult.

Im just thinking that Sony should give this guys a tour through Guerrilla and show the a real FPS. This crap will suck once it releases. I mean, words cant explain just how bad it is, which is why Ive added a link to DL and see for yourself.

If somebody says that MAG is good, dont even try talking to him, only the most rabid fanboys will say that.

DragoonKain1687
LOL. do you work for microsoft? You act like your fiance cheated on you with MAG. Breath.... I agree with you though. I was really excited about MAG until I played the beta. It's a pretty awful game in my opinion. among all the things wrong with it, at lowest and most basic level it's just not satisfying. In COD MW2 it's very satisfying to kill an enemy, to win a match, to level up, all of that. MAG didn't give me any of that. Just not fun. I wish it was. I really want it to be. I played it every day for a week hoping it'd maybe get better to no avail. It sucks to see such an ambitious project flop the way it probably will.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

guess we are all entitled to our opinion. i knew how mag will turn out to be, graphics are average, and YOU NEED teamwork, this game is based on that, theres a good variety of weapons, theres attachments and perks to them ( scope, etc etc) i honestly think its better than MW2, but hey thats my opinion right

P.S it is a beta after all, i mean it has a few flaws here and there which i hope they will fix. and i cant really judge it that much cuz i only played for a month then got new games and got distracted, but if its going to be exactly the SAME as the ebta by the time its released, then i guess with patches they will fix their problems, but the only thing that i kinda didnt like but i dont mind is that its multiplayer only, im much of a single player guy, and dont mind online, but i have to have single player too, this is why im thankful for games like god of war, infamous, mgs4 (even though it has online i never touched it really)

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Denji

I'm playing it right now. Just seems like a "bigger" poor man's Battlefield game to me.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Actually I kind of saw it coming. I read other early previews about the online experience and.. it wasn't all that fine and well.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Denji

Yeah, it's crap as expected. Off my hard drive it goes:P

rsoxguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 rsoxguy12
Member since 2007 • 1602 Posts

Just played a few matches....I dunno what to think of it. As someone stated above, you don't feel very satisfied after killing somebody or leveling up.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

DragoonKain1687

Bad Company 2 and MW2 will occupy me. MAG's alright, im only a level 18 so far so im not really used to it. the queue stuff is annyoing as hell.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Denji

1bigsmoke55

Bad Company 2 and MW2 will occupy me. MAG's alright, im only a level 18 so far so im not really used to it. the queue stuff is annyoing as hell.

You'd figure for a game like that, it'll just let you spawn into a match.

Quite a dumb move to make you "wait" for 20 minutes.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

[QUOTE="1bigsmoke55"]

Denji

You'd figure for a game like that, it'll just let you spawn into a match.

Quite a dumb move to make you "wait" for 20 minutes.

true that. In Bad Company 2, it takes me a good Two Mins, MAG takes Five.

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts
Can't say I was ever even slightly interested in M.A.G. This seals the deal.
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
I agree 140%.
C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts

Yeah, it's crap as expected. Off my hard drive it goes:P

Denji
I played one match and deleted it.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yeah I agree with you 100%. Horrid graphics, dated gameplay, horrible sound, and overall poorly designed multiplayer with no flow to it at all make M.A.G. a real letdown.

Wolf_BladeGX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wolf_BladeGX
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts

*Slowly raises hand* Um, I kinda like it. It's a game with alot of potential from a strategic standpoint.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Denji

*Slowly raises hand* Um, I kinda like it. It's a game with alot of potential from a strategic standpoint.

Wolf_BladeGX

Well, I guess there is some positive response:P

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts
Sony fails hard. They need another year to improve and complete it.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Just because somebody likes the game does NOT mean they are a fanboy. I played the earlier betas (I'll play this one sometime next week) and I found it enjoyable for a while. I doubt I'll actually buy it since I can't see myself buying a $60 game purely for multiplayer...but I think it would be fun to rent or if you could find it really cheap somewhere it would be worth it.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

wow this quite the hatefest, congrats tc i suppose the term beta is a term lost on a lot of people here.

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

me personally i know that everyones going to hate me for it..but i think BFBC 2 beta is one of the worst things ive ever played...MAG i thought was pretty decent...it wasnt that great but i had no problems with the controls...what turned me off was that it took so long to kill a person and the load times are slow...another thing i hate that you have to wait to spawn....i just wanna hop back in waiting 20 seconds gets me out of my groove

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

It wasn't a dissapointment for me. I'm loving it!

Sure, Bad Company 2's Beta is better (opinion) but then again, nothing is better than Bad Company 2 online (opinion....again).

Still, MAG's a Day 1 buy for me.

QuebecSuperstar

Yeah im liking the beta, the way the objectives are handed out, its fun.
I havent played BFBC2 beta because i havent ben able to findNZ or AUS beta, anyone know a link??

Its not a day one game though since i never buy games day one but i rekon i may get this.