Is PSN really free?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts
:) Mods, this thread is not about the outage so please don't lock :) The more threads and posts I read about the PSN outage, the more I read people saying 'stop complaining. PSN is free'. But is it really free? I feel like a chunk of what I paid for my PS3 was also to pay for PSN. I know we don't pay a monthly subscription or anything like that but that doesn't make it free; or does it? I'm really interested to hear your view on this.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

If we paid for when got the PS3, than it was just a one time deal.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Weenski

If we paid for when got the PS3, than it was just a one time deal.

naju890_963
Exactly, but we still paid for it.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Well the PS3, now is almost the same price as the XBOX so we arent actually paying for it atleast not alot.

caketoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 caketoo
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
Well its a selling point just as much as it having a blu ray player is,I dont feel that in the price of the system ive paid for online access. Frankly I think it should be free to access. We already pay 40-50$ a month to have internet in our homes,Its just greedy to be charged an extra fee to be able to play online. Its free to access but you purchase things off the network,So theyre getting a cut of all my purchases. Just like if you buy a game that has online play, That should only be useable pending a paid subscription for online gaming? I paid full price for the game I should have full access to all features. The MS live model isnt a good model its the wrong model but Im sure next gen will all be paying for console access and possibly even seperate games will require another fee. Free or not isnt any reason to say its ok to have your info stolen.
Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Weenski
Xbox 360 250gb is 189 pounds. PS3 320gb is 289 pounds. Still quite a difference in price. Just out of interest, how much is Xbox live? (Sorry, I didn't mean this to turn into system wars).
IamBEASTMODE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 IamBEASTMODE
Member since 2010 • 538 Posts

Xbox 360 250gb is 189 pounds. PS3 320gb is 289 pounds. Still quite a difference in price. Just out of interest, how much is Xbox live? (Sorry, I didn't mean this to turn into system wars).Weenski

It's in the region of £40 per year or $60 - kinda like paying for a brand new game

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Xbox 360 250gb is 189 pounds. PS3 320gb is 289 pounds. Still quite a difference in price. Just out of interest, how much is Xbox live? (Sorry, I didn't mean this to turn into system wars).Weenski
XBL is £35.. 6 years of XBL costs £210 so 189+ 210 = £400... Not such a cheap deal afterall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

Just my opinion.

PSN is free. I don't have to pay them on a regular basis to access the service, therefore its free.

But, then again, I don't feel Sony owes me any compensation for the outage, not even the ID protection/insurance they are going to provide. I will not be taking advantage of that offer since, as an adult, I have been providing for my own ID protection for 4 or 5 years now.

The sense of entitlement and demands for Sony to give away free goodies just amazes me. We've become a society of spoiled brats.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Just my opinion.

PSN is free. I don't have to pay them on a regular basis to access the service, therefore its free.

But, then again, I don't feel Sony owes me any compensation for the outage, not even the ID protection/insurance they are going to provide. I will not be taking advantage of that offer since, as an adult, I have been providing for my own ID protection for 4 or 5 years now.

The sense of entitlement and demands for Sony to give away free goodies just amazes me. We've become a society of spoiled brats.

collegeboy64

I know, and half these people who want free stuff are the ones who are now going to pirate the crap out of their PS3 just to spite SOny when infact THEY are the ones who gave Sony their ID information and expect Sony to be the ones who pay and hand out cash even though they are taking quite large losses to provide a service for absolutely nothing. Steam also does it for free, infact XBL is the only one who charges and PSN users think they deserve free handouts? It really is amazing they cannot realise they actually have been given a free handout for the last 5 years. Sony could stop PSN if they want, i'm pretty sure it is in the EULA so i just hope Sony doesn't take it to heart what these money grabbers say.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
1st we shouldn't compare xbox live to PSN, I dont have an xbox so it doesnt have anything to do with my PS3 or how much the PSN costs... 2nd: PSN is free to me, YES I paid for it along with my PS3 but as long as its there forever it'll be free, it'll only add up the cost with the PS3's cost if they stop the PSN service. hope that made sense lol
Avatar image for DeathRaiderut2k
DeathRaiderut2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 DeathRaiderut2k
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
Doesn't make sense to charge anyone for online play capabilities, PlayStation doesn't receive any money from me for that feature so it seems to be free, but I'm sure there making money somehow, everyone knows nothing is ever really free
TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts
[QUOTE="Weenski"]: The more threads and posts I read about the PSN outage, the more I read people saying 'stop complaining. PSN is free'. But is it really free? I feel like a chunk of what I paid for my PS3 was also to pay for PSN.

Lets say you bought your Ps3 used. Does Sony make any money from your purchase? Do you have to pay any money to use PSN? No, you don't.
Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Weenski
I agree with the last two comments, I don't think we deserve a freebie. I do however they owe us a bit more in the way of keeping us informed. PSN is free because you don't have to pay a regular subscription? In the same way that a new car is free because you only have the initial outlay & no monthly subscription?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
yes its free.
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
Good points guys... look at it from SONY's perspective, when people were paying 600 bucks for PS3, they were still losing 200 on each console! so We never paid SONY a dime for PSN when we bought a PS3. and I have never bought anything from PSN so ya Im using PSN for free for sure...
Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Weenski
[QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"][QUOTE="Weenski"]: The more threads and posts I read about the PSN outage, the more I read people saying 'stop complaining. PSN is free'. But is it really free? I feel like a chunk of what I paid for my PS3 was also to pay for PSN.

Lets say you bought your Ps3 used. Does Sony make any money from your purchase? .

Technically yes because whoever owns it, Sony still made money from that particular PS3's original purchase.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#18 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Yes it's free because unlike my ''OTHER" online service I don't have to pay to play online. Which logically should be a basic part of the service especially after you kicked out 60bucks for a game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5985f1128b98f

PSN is free because you don't have to pay a regular subscription? In the same way that a new car is free because you only have the initial outlay & no monthly subscription?Weenski

Your analogy is quite flawed, but still: The car is not free because you must first purchase it, just as you must first purchase a PS3. After purchasing the car you must then pay a regular fee to insure yourself and you must pay to put gas in the car.

After purchasing the PS3 you have no additional costs in order to be able to use it offline. In order to use it online you must have internet access and PSN access. Yes, internet access costs money, but it is not money paid to Sony for access to the PSN. Plus, you will use that internet access for things other than gaming. There is no requirement to send Sony anymore money in order to access the PSN.

The car is actually a better analogy to the XBut360 and XButLive. You must purchase the hardware and then you must pay two ongoing subscriptions: one for internet access and one to the anit-christ, Bill Gates, for access to his crappy gaming network.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

No, the PS3 cost more money to make than they sold it for, none of that money went towards online. The online is free. Though how long it is taking is getting quite ridiculous.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
PS3 has online? That's news to me.
Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

I paid for the system, the games (which have online capabilities), any accessories. Im mad at sony right now because ive put $400 for their crappy service that obviously doesnt work. Was the psn ever working on the ps3? cause i begining to think its a lie. If they can get the service up than all games with a singleplayer campain and multiplayer should be half off. I put my money twards the multiplayer when i buy the game. I think Sony has failed as a company during this issue.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 scouttrooperbob

PS3 has online? That's news to me.C_Rule

Yeah aparently they stopped that after the ps2. Its an interesting buisness strategy.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Weenski
I think that wether it's free or not you shouldn't have to pay to play online. If a game is designed to play online and you pay 40 pounds for that game, it should do as it was intended WITHOUT having to pay extra. Thanks for everyones responses so far, some good opinions.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
PSN isn't free, It cost folks like you and me, And if we don't all chip in We'll never pay that bill PSN isn't free No, there's a hefty f'in fee. And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five Who will?
Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

PSN is free, since not only is it a provided service at no extra cost, but I'm pretty sure you can even just make an accoiunt on the website without a PSP or PS3.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scouttrooperbob

PSN is free, since not only is it a provided service at no extra cost, but I'm pretty sure you can even just make an accoiunt on the website without a PSP or PS3.

child_of_lileth

but you cant really use it unless you pay money for something like a game off the psn store or a game.

TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts

child_of_lileth
That you can do. I'm not sure what services are available on the PC however.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5985f1128b98f

PSN isn't free, It cost folks like you and me, And if we don't all chip in We'll never pay that bill PSN isn't free No, there's a hefty f'in fee. And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five Who will?Nuck81

LMAO. :lol:

Great post.

I'll throw in my buck o five if thats what it takes to get it back on.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well, they just get the money from the publishers who put their stuff there. The more we use this *free* service the more money Sony gets

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Whether I have to pay for it or not, I just hope it comes back soon, so I can play some multiplayer Halo.
WhorrorLoLz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WhorrorLoLz
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts
PSN is the service, which is free. The only thing that costs money is your PS3, which is in fact separate from PSN.
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scouttrooperbob

PSN is the service, which is free. The only thing that costs money is your PS3, which is in fact separate from PSN.WhorrorLoLz

The video games you buy cost money and if they have a multiplayer component or any dlc than they are infact together,

WhorrorLoLz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhorrorLoLz
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

[QUOTE="WhorrorLoLz"]PSN is the service, which is free. The only thing that costs money is your PS3, which is in fact separate from PSN.scouttrooperbob

The video games you buy cost money and if they have a multiplayer component or any dlc than they are infact together,

That's true for everything though. But if you want to get technical, PSN is indeed free. Whether you're paying for games with an online component, or paying for a PS3, the PSN service is still free.
peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 peach79
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

Whether I have to pay for it or not, I just hope it comes back soon, so I can play some multiplayer Halo.C_Rule

What?!

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

It most certainly is not free.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 scouttrooperbob

[QUOTE="scouttrooperbob"]

[QUOTE="WhorrorLoLz"]PSN is the service, which is free. The only thing that costs money is your PS3, which is in fact separate from PSN.WhorrorLoLz

That's true for everything though. But if you want to get technical, PSN is indeed free. Whether you're paying for games with an online component, or paying for a PS3, the PSN service is still free.

Your right. But i think its an unececary expence

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Weenski

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Whether I have to pay for it or not, I just hope it comes back soon, so I can play some multiplayer Halo.peach79

What?!

Yea, what???
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I chose on my own to subscribe for PS+ but that's extra and not required to play game online, which had always been free.

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

Not if you have PS+... But yes, it is free.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
it's part of what you paid for when you bought a ps3 - access to the store and online gaming. just like when you buy a game with an online component - even though you don't use the multiplayer aspect, it's still part of what you paid for.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

In my eyes, PSN is a free service. I don't pay a subscription therefore I use it free or charge.

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

Yes. Your PS3 didn't come with PSN. Your PSN registration and usage prior to buying your system was a free gift and any firmware afterward was a freebie too.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
You can create a PSN account without a PS3. Yes, PSN is very free.
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 scouttrooperbob

You can create a PSN account without a PS3. Yes, PSN is very free.nethernova

But the games you buy to play on them and the games you buy off of it are not.

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drkessence
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts

As someone who apparently is the only multi-console owner posting in this thread (srsly, some of the fanboy posts are pretty lame), PSN is a case of "you get what you paid for". PSN without + is free. XBL is paid. The difference in content is pretty substantial. Even Netflix works better on 360. I do enjoy not having to pay for it, though, lets face it, if you have a job then the subscription fee really isn't that much at all (until I start adding in my Netflix, Gamefly, and WoW subscriptions :P).

So, I guess you could say you are paying for it by not getting everything you COULD be getting....maybe. That and, I think that Sony doesn't exactly give PSN as much attention as it deserves thanks to the lack of incoming money from it. There's a LOT of things they can and SHOULD do, but they haven't. Things that the 360 and PC have been doing for years.

And, just to throw in my 2 cents on the freebee thing (and knowing I'll probably be flamed by angry fanboys), I DO believe that Sony ows us at least SOMETHING. They lost our personal info. No, it may not be their fault they were attacked, but there is a reason that companies like Valve (with Steam), MS, Nintendo, etc haven't had their info stolen. They have deep, secure systems with lots of failsafes that are nearly impenetrable. This is why the govt is now investigating them. They basically looked at them and were like ".....you sure you guys know what you're doing?" Even if this wasn't the case, the fact remains their lack of security got our personal info taken and almost got everyone's CC info taken (EU's CC info WAS taken). I'm fine with the free + and whatever free game they're going to give us from PSN, but to say that they don't have any reason to make up for their negligence is like telling someone they shouldn't be punished for leaving a machete unattended with their 5 year old who proceeded to cut off their hand with it.

Ilinxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ilinxx
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

[QUOTE="WhorrorLoLz"]PSN is the service, which is free. The only thing that costs money is your PS3, which is in fact separate from PSN.scouttrooperbob

you're either really dumb or trolling, but the question wasn't if video games were free (as if any dbag doesnt know) when you get that technical with it you just sound stupid. he asked if psn was free, and the answer is yes.
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 scouttrooperbob

[QUOTE="scouttrooperbob"]

[QUOTE="WhorrorLoLz"]PSN is the service, which is free. The only thing that costs money is your PS3, which is in fact separate from PSN.Ilinxx

you're either really dumb or trolling, but the question wasn't if video games were free (as if any dbag doesnt know) when you get that technical with it you just sound stupid. he asked if psn was free, and the answer is yes.

When I get called stupid and a troll for sharing my oppinion than I get Mad. These games have online capabilities right? If I pay $60 for a game than in my mind its $30 for the singleplayer and $30 for the multiplayer. Multiplayer is part of the game. In order for that game to work online you have to have psn. Psn is also a service that you can buy videogames off which is also not free. That part should defenantly be free because i dont pay to go to the store right? Im saying you pay for psn with the games you buy, the ps3 itself, the controlers and equipment. Nothings "free". But of course I cant have an oppinion because im stupid and a "Troll". Yeah that sounds intelegent. :roll:

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#49 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Just checked and there's nothing on my PS3 box saying I'll have unlimited and uninterupted access to the PSN forever.

While it's nice, I never thought PSN would always be free or that it would never stop working.

If you have some sort of written guarantee from Sony about the PSN, I'm sure everyone here would like to see it.

Ilinxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ilinxx
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilinxx"][QUOTE="scouttrooperbob"]

scouttrooperbob

When get called stupid and a troll for sharing my oppinion than I get Mad. These games have online capabilities right? If I pay $60 for a game than in my mind its $30 for the singleplayer and $30 for the multiplayer. Multiplayer is part of the game. In order for that game to work online you have to have psn. Psn is also a service that you can buy videogames off which is also not free. That part should defenantly be free because i dont pay to go to the store right? Im saying you pay for psn with the games you buy, the ps3 itself, the controlers and equipment. Nothings "free". But of course I cant have an oppinion because im stupid and a "Troll". Yeah that sounds intelegent.

You're stirring up unnecessary confusion, and that explains my choice of words (and I apologize if I went overboard, I tend to).

The items you're reffering to in the PS store aren't mandatory, they're features that can be purchased via YOUR choice. :)

PlaystationNetwork is a free network, even advertised as "free of charge". Access to and membership of it costs no money! You keep reverting back to the fact that games cost 60 dollars, I understand that, but you're paying money for the game, not PSN.

When it comes to a dlc, that's a feature, okay? When I refer to PSN, and hopefully when anyone else does, they're referring to the network in itself.

In other words, if you had a free sandwich and were offered chips on the side for an extra 50 cents, the sandwich remains free. Understand? The chips can can enhance the sandwich, as a completely optional purchase.

No hard feelings, and don't ever think you aren't entitled to your own opinion. My post wasn't intended to belittle you or make you feel stupid.