Demystifying Full RGB (Test to see if your tv supports it)

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts

...and I find that if you give gamespot peeps a big informative link they tend to not read it...

so here is a link that covers full range RGB in a relatively good, short summary, and it includes a test to see if your tv supports full range RGB (keep in mind 10% of hdtvs currently support this feature so odds are your tv does not). The pic for the test also explains how it can be used to calibrate your brightness since you DO NEED to recalibrate it if you are running in full range rgb. So here it is...

http://nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=13

...also, if you do not have a thumb drive, you can download the pic for the test and calibration through you ps3 browser.

Enjoy!

P.S. If your tv does not support full range rgb, limited range can look almost as good as long as you have everything calibrated correctly, but if it does not support it and you choose to leave it on and pretend you are improving your image, then you will lose your black gradient which essentially means you lose the details in your blacks. Some people mistake this for improving graphics cuz they get solid black outlines, but all you are doing is losing shadows and gradients. Good luck!

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dr_DudeMan
So no one seems to care all of a sudden?
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Thanks, this will be useful when i finally switch from Component to HDMI:)
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dr_DudeMan
Honestly, with all the BS people have been spreading regarding this, I almost feel like this should be stickied. I could turn it into a little guide to rgb or somethin, haha. I might be too lazy for that tho ;D...
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
thanks for info! Never knew bout that 10% thing
mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
I've been saying this ad nauseum. I hope this gets turned into a sticky. Full RGB is NOT the way to go for a majority of the folks out there. Professional calibration, through the PS3 / HDMI port is the best way to go by far. And, if your guy is good, he'll know if your set is able to handle superwhite and full RGB.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
yes! Sticky this! most poor souls are just screwing themselves switching to full when their TVs can't in the first palce
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts
Nice, I'll try it ASAP
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dr_DudeMan

I've been saying this ad nauseum. I hope this gets turned into a sticky. Full RGB is NOT the way to go for a majority of the folks out there. Professional calibration, through the PS3 / HDMI port is the best way to go by far. And, if your guy is good, he'll know if your set is able to handle superwhite and full RGB. mindworm22

And even if hes not good, he could figure it out with some simple tests.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dr_DudeMan

yes! Sticky this! most poor souls are just screwing themselves switching to full when their TVs can't in the first palcehazelnutman

Agreed, and if peeps want to list their tv and whether or not it tested positive for full RGB, feel free to =D...

...I will go first...

I have a Sharp Aquos LC42D62Uand it does support full range RGB.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Thanks for the test. I'm glad to know my TV supports full. (though I can only see the outline of the first square)
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dr_DudeMan

Thanks for the test. I'm glad to know my TV supports full. (though I can only see the outline of the first square)Denji

Thats fine, the first 2 squares are not super important as long as you can see the rest, but make sure that the setting that lets you see the boxes is the setting you use permanantly. It will make your games and BD's look stunning.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
A simpler test is just watch a blu-ray movie and while watching it. Go to the AV settings and toggle Full RGB on and off. Full RGB off looks really washed out compared to full RGB on...
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts
Lets face it, on a non ISF calibrated set this test is useless. Gamma, backlight, brightness can bring the squares out. Most people leave their TVs on torch mode they get from the stores that completely kill the picture anyway. Just my .02 cents.
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dr_DudeMan

Lets face it, on a non ISF calibrated set this test is useless. Gamma, backlight, brightness can bring the squares out. Most people leave their TVs on torch mode they get from the stores that completely kill the picture anyway. Just my .02 cents.Taijiquan

Yes, but those are the peeps that leave the ps3 on the stock settings too.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dr_DudeMan

A simpler test is just watch a blu-ray movie and while watching it. Go to the AV settings and toggle Full RGB on and off. Full RGB off looks really washed out compared to full RGB on... munu9

Once again, thats not a legit test, because if the calibration is off it could just look bad because of the current associated settings. I am not saying the linked way is ideal, but its the best quick solution for the non-av savy.

wilko1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wilko1971
Member since 2007 • 299 Posts

I like the test, but that's because it looks like my TV supports full RGB

GaMiNg_iS_GoOd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GaMiNg_iS_GoOd
Member since 2006 • 664 Posts
kewl thanks alot for the link! But i cant try it out now, does anyone know if the sony bravia 32s3000 supports it?
WongB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WongB
Member since 2004 • 1701 Posts
So then if the 62U series supports Full RGB, then it should be safe to say that my Sharp Aquos LC46D64U will support it since its a little higher model right?
WongB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WongB

Here is a link to the Official Playstation forum on this same subject. They have a comprehensive list of TV's that has been confirmed to have Full RGB Support.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=1559458&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Taijiquan
With my current settings, my Samsung 5265 (1011/1037 board and firmware) does not reflect it supports RGB Full. I am too lazy to try on my Sharp.
WongB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WongB

Some one esle also suggested that you set your picture to full RGB and then when veiwing the picture, set it so you can see all the squares. Then switch it to limited, if your tv does support it, then when you switch to limited the darks should get brighter.

If it stays the same then your tv doesn't support it. If it does, I guess just leave it on Full and adjust it to your liking.

I also say on the other thread that if your TV doesn't support Full RGB, then in the BD/DVD settings you should change the playback to use Y Cb Cr only instead of having it as Automatic to get a better picture. Not sure if this this true though.

Jullian17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jullian17
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts
I have a Samsung LN-T3253H, and with the settings set on Gamemode and HDMI Black level normal you can see every sqare.
toronto969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 toronto969
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts
so when i do this at the brightness setting i have it on, it doesn't show many squares, but when i raise the brightness high enough i can see all of them, how do i know where to properly put the brightness?
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts

I have a Samsung LN-T3253H, and with the settings set on Gamemode and HDMI Black level normal you can see every sqare. Jullian17

Same here! Yay for us! lol

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Taijiquan
I can make the squares come and go very easily. Adjusting gamma to -2 with Black Level normal would result in all squares showing. Setting Black Level to low obviously killed it unless gamma was turned up. Overall the Samsung does support RGB Full however results vary. Does a person go for deeper blacks or for the picture pop/window effect?
queenster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 queenster08
Member since 2005 • 859 Posts

*tagged*

I'll try it out after work.

GaMiNg_iS_GoOd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GaMiNg_iS_GoOd
Member since 2006 • 664 Posts
well ima try it, although i dont think mine supports it.
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dr_DudeMan

So then if the 62U series supports Full RGB, then it should be safe to say that my Sharp Aquos LC46D64U will support it since its a little higher model right?WongB

Well its bigger ;D, but yes other then that its the same. So you are good, but u should still put the pic of the blocks on your tv so you can figure out what to set your brightness to. With full rgb on I use brightness +21, contrast +31, backlight +9, color -1, and tint +11, so give those settings a shot.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dr_DudeMan

With my current settings, my Samsung 5265 (1011/1037 board and firmware) does not reflect it supports RGB Full. I am too lazy to try on my Sharp. Taijiquan

Did you try adjusting your brightness?

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dr_DudeMan

so when i do this at the brightness setting i have it on, it doesn't show many squares, but when i raise the brightness high enough i can see all of them, how do i know where to properly put the brightness?toronto969

Set the brightness so that you can just barely make out the first two squares if at all. Its better to be a little too dark then too bright to prevent washing out your colors.

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Taijiquan

[QUOTE="Taijiquan"]With my current settings, my Samsung 5265 (1011/1037 board and firmware) does not reflect it supports RGB Full. I am too lazy to try on my Sharp. Dr_DudeMan

Did you try adjusting your brightness?

No, I want a TV not a torch. I posted a follow up on Gamma and Black level adjustment a couple post up. YMMV on this one. Far from a good test due to difference in calibration.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]Thanks for the test. I'm glad to know my TV supports full. (though I can only see the outline of the first square)Dr_DudeMan

Thats fine, the first 2 squares are not super important as long as you can see the rest, but make sure that the setting that lets you see the boxes is the setting you use permanantly. It will make your games and BD's look stunning.

Oh yeah. I already messed with it a long time ago. Whenever I find the best setting, I always keep it.

iori666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iori666
Member since 2005 • 284 Posts
kewl thanks alot for the link! But i cant try it out now, does anyone know if the sony bravia 32s3000 supports it?GaMiNg_iS_GoOd
yes i have that tv and it support 100% rgb full btw its an awesome tv!
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dr_DudeMan

[QUOTE="GaMiNg_iS_GoOd"]kewl thanks alot for the link! But i cant try it out now, does anyone know if the sony bravia 32s3000 supports it?iori666
yes i have that tv and it support 100% rgb full btw its an awesome tv!

Yeah most bravias support full rgb except for maybe some of the earliest models. But sony has been on the rgb ball for a while now.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
I can see all squares (bar the first) when I load the image up on my PS3, but not when I'm using the same monitor on my PC.
Is there a "Full RGB" option on my pc? :P
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]yes! Sticky this! most poor souls are just screwing themselves switching to full when their TVs can't in the first palceDr_DudeMan

Agreed, and if peeps want to list their tv and whether or not it tested positive for full RGB, feel free to =D...

...I will go first...

I agree to a sticky, but make a propper thread with guide etc, not just a link.
TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts
whoo my TV supports it!
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dr_DudeMan
[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]yes! Sticky this! most poor souls are just screwing themselves switching to full when their TVs can't in the first palcemoshakirby

...I will go first...

I agree to a sticky, but make a propper thread with guide etc, not just a link.

I may make a guide in the near future, rite now I am too busy to pull up resources and put together a good guide. I was just scared because lots of ignorant people were floating around giving aweful advice regarding something they dont understand ever since the GT drama. And I thought that the link was a nice brief explanation that also provides two easy tests. I will make something more formal after I get my next round of med exams out of the way ;D.

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

ok im a little confused here. i d/l the 28 box test and on limited you can view them fine and when i switch to full RGB i can only see the bottom row.

does my TV support full RGB ? :?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts
My TV supports it and it's an Insignia 32''. I got it for like 1000 bucks last year, didn't think it would work.
Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 Haseokicksass
Member since 2006 • 4604 Posts

Mine can support ful lright?

I can see every sqaure exept the 2 darkest. I can see the outside of the second darkest, but not the darkest. This is with Full enabled.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts

I can see every sqaure exept the 2 darkest. I can see the outside of the second darkest, but not the darkest. This is with Full enabled.

Haseokicksass

How many can you see with it on limited?

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 monie11k

ok im a little confused here. i d/l the 28 box test and on limited you can view them fine and when i switch to full RGB i can only see the bottom row.

monie11k

anyone? :(

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dr_DudeMan

monie11k

Try turning your brightness up, if you still cant see the boxes that means your tv does not support full rgb, sorry.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dr_DudeMan

Haseokicksass

Yes, that means you are fine.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dr_DudeMan

[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]So no one seems to care all of a sudden?Steel_Rain777

Bro...ouch man. Your head must of been on fire that day. Hope everything turned out ok and you didnt hurt yourself to bad. Thsi is good to know, Ima try this out on Tv.

That was like 6 years ago and I am still trucking ;D. It sucked when it happend, but I recovered relatively quickly.

WongB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WongB

I just had a black background and when I switched it to Full, the Black got darker and switching back made the background a lighter color black. So I'm guessing that means it supports Full RGB.

BTW I have a LC-46D 64U. 46" Sharp Aquos 1080P. Got it for $1299 on black friday.

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 monie11k
[QUOTE="monie11k"]

Dr_DudeMan

Try turning your brightness up, if you still cant see the boxes that means your tv does not support full rgb, sorry.

the boxes reappear when i turn up the brightness, guess it does support full rgb :)