Demystifying Full RGB (Test to see if your tv supports it)

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts

I just had a black background and when I switched it to Full, the Black got darker and switching back made the background a lighter color black. So I'm guessing that means it supports Full RGB.

BTW I have a LC-46D 64U. 46" Sharp Aquos 1080P. Got it for $1299 on black friday.

WongB

Well you could download that pic from the link to check for sure, but i am pretty sure yours supports it. I also listed a good set of settings to start you off a few posts ago.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Dr_DudeMan
[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"][QUOTE="monie11k"]

ok im a little confused here. i d/l the 28 box test and on limited you can view them fine and when i switch to full RGB i can only see the bottom row.

does my TV support full RGB ? :?

monie11k

Try turning your brightness up, if you still cant see the boxes that means your tv does not support full rgb, sorry.

the boxes reappear when i turn up the brightness, guess it does support full rgb :)

When you set up the brightness make sure that you make it just bright enough that you cant really see the first two boxes. Because if you make it too bright things will look over saturated. So make sure the first two boxes are so dark you almost cant see them or cant see them and then your set.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#53 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
Does my Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000 supposrty this?
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

...and I find that if you give gamespot peeps a big informative link they tend to not read it...

so here is a link that covers full range RGB in a relatively good, short summary, and it includes a test to see if your tv supports full range RGB (keep in mind 10% of hdtvs currently support this feature so odds are your tv does not). The pic for the test also explains how it can be used to calibrate your brightness since you DO NEED to recalibrate it if you are running in full range rgb. So here it is...

http://nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=13

...also, if you do not have a thumb drive, you can download the pic for the test and calibration through you ps3 browser.

Enjoy!

P.S. If your tv does not support full range rgb, limited range can look almost as good as long as you have everything calibrated correctly, but if it does not support it and you choose to leave it on and pretend you are improving your image, then you will lose your black gradient which essentially means you lose the details in your blacks. Some people mistake this for improving graphics cuz they get solid black outlines, but all you are doing is losing shadows and gradients. Good luck!

Dr_DudeMan

Thanks for the info! Turns out my TV supports full RGB. I had to turn up the brightness a little bit, but I was able to see all the blocks.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
very helpful...thank you.
Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#56 Haseokicksass
Member since 2006 • 4604 Posts

My TV supports it and it's an Insignia 32''. I got it for like 1000 bucks last year, didn't think it would work.SOedipus

im pretty sure i have the same TV as you. I got mine in December of 06 and it says Insignia on it, and its 32 inches.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
Only 10% support it? Wow. I've had my HDTV for a year and a half, so Samsung must have been on the ball with this.
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Dr_DudeMan

Only 10% support it? Wow. I've had my HDTV for a year and a half, so Samsung must have been on the ball with this.bdhoff

Sharp, Sammy, and Sony are usually on the ball, so most of theirs seem to be compatible.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Dr_DudeMan

Does my Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000 supposrty this?MusashiSensi

Try the test like the link says and you will find out, it probably does though...but you can double check to make sure.

Magusi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Magusi
Member since 2004 • 369 Posts
sticking this 4 my self.
AlphaRail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 AlphaRail
Member since 2007 • 1789 Posts
Gonna try the test...but I have a question about what is next to it, should I have cross color reduct. on?
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Dr_DudeMan

Gonna try the test...but I have a question about what is next to it, should I have cross color reduct. on?AlphaRail

No you should not, that is for sdtv's.

AlphaRail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AlphaRail
Member since 2007 • 1789 Posts

[QUOTE="AlphaRail"]Gonna try the test...but I have a question about what is next to it, should I have cross color reduct. on?Dr_DudeMan

Thanks, and this should definently be stickied...my TV does support Full..mine is a 26 inch Vizio...donno the exact model though.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Dr_DudeMan
[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

[QUOTE="AlphaRail"]Gonna try the test...but I have a question about what is next to it, should I have cross color reduct. on?AlphaRail

Thanks, and this should definently be stickied...my TV does support Full..mine is a 26 inch Vizio...donno the exact model though.

Gratz!

mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
Guys -- remember that this is only one of many tests that need to be done to appropriately calibrate a test. As I've said before, if you can find the jack, spend the 200 bucks on having a professional come out and calibrate your set. The results can be breathtaking when compared to out of he box settings.
deepsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deepsme
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
I have a Samsung Bordeaux LA32R71B..I can see all 28 squares on Full RGB.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

Guys -- remember that this is only one of many tests that need to be done to appropriately calibrate a test. As I've said before, if you can find the jack, spend the 200 bucks on having a professional come out and calibrate your set. The results can be breathtaking when compared to out of he box settings. mindworm22

I agree completely. Using movies that have oversaturated/poor transfers can effect overall image quality when viewing closer to the source material. Firmware/mainboards/panels will greatly effect picture quality even with the same sets so taking others settings for the same TV doesn't always work. Take these into account when calibrating your own TV.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

...and I find that if you give gamespot peeps a big informative link they tend to not read it...

so here is a link that covers full range RGB in a relatively good, short summary, and it includes a test to see if your tv supports full range RGB (keep in mind 10% of hdtvs currently support this feature so odds are your tv does not). The pic for the test also explains how it can be used to calibrate your brightness since you DO NEED to recalibrate it if you are running in full range rgb. So here it is...

http://nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=13

...also, if you do not have a thumb drive, you can download the pic for the test and calibration through you ps3 browser.

Enjoy!

P.S. If your tv does not support full range rgb, limited range can look almost as good as long as you have everything calibrated correctly, but if it does not support it and you choose to leave it on and pretend you are improving your image, then you will lose your black gradient which essentially means you lose the details in your blacks. Some people mistake this for improving graphics cuz they get solid black outlines, but all you are doing is losing shadows and gradients. Good luck!

Dr_DudeMan
AH! My TV is Full!! I can even see the 1st 2 :)
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Dr_DudeMan

Guys -- remember that this is only one of many tests that need to be done to appropriately calibrate a test. As I've said before, if you can find the jack, spend the 200 bucks on having a professional come out and calibrate your set. The results can be breathtaking when compared to out of he box settings. mindworm22

See most people wont do that, especially concidering the average age of gamespot posters. I for one am sever 100k in debt in student loans, so 200 is far too much. And this is just a simple way to determine if your tv supports full rgb or not. I am not suggesting that it is some amazing calibrator or anything like that.

mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts

For those of you looking for a quick at home fix, you can get a 25 dollar DVD from Sound and Vision and use it for color, sharpness, etc....

Also, for you do it yourelf-ers, some DVDs (like ICE AGE, for example), have both THX speaker and TV calibration patterns on them for your use. The box test, or a variation thereof, is on there as well.

liamabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 liamabob
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts
Honestly, with all the BS people have been spreading regarding this, I almost feel like this should be stickied. I could turn it into a little guide to rgb or somethin, haha. I might be too lazy for that tho ;D...Dr_DudeMan

I feel I have to say thanks, i went with all the bull about full-range, and never knew that it was that setting that was making my TV have a purply tint in black areas. Cheers :)
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Dr_DudeMan

[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]Honestly, with all the BS people have been spreading regarding this, I almost feel like this should be stickied. I could turn it into a little guide to rgb or somethin, haha. I might be too lazy for that tho ;D...liamabob

I feel I have to say thanks, i went with all the bull about full-range, and never knew that it was that setting that was making my TV have a purply tint in black areas. Cheers :)

Your welcome, I am glad people are finding this helpful =D.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Dr_DudeMan
Bump
tomasr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 tomasr123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I use calibration video to know is TV accept full RGB or not http://www.filejumbo.com/Download/AB091EEF36A015F8
The main problem with that image which is shared here that it do not has acceptable black/white crush points. Most on TV will never display all blocks which are in that image but it does not mean that you can't use PS3 on Full RGB.

Avatar image for RagingBlastFan1
RagingBlastFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 RagingBlastFan1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i use the same tv as yourself.should i use the same contrast brightness etc if i use rgb full
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#76 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
My TV supports it and it does have a nice difference, very vivid and deeper cloours.. also the super white setting works too so i get nice deep blue and reds and sharp bright whites.. Although my TV is pretty cheap and is basically a 28 inch montitor put into a TV case but atleast monitors generally have more features.