Bioshock's story vs Metal Gear Solid's story

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Snakeeyes8855
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts

Haven't seen any comparisons of these. Bottom line is that I have to choose one. I was leaning towards Bioshock because Bioshock II is about to come out. BUT Bioshock kind of seems too easy and plays too much like Oblvion. However, I like the horror theme, and the water envrionments. Played through Demo--liked it for what it was.

Metal Gear Solid seems amazing. I just read an article about it in Business Week. BUT, the fact that I have never played any of the previous games before kind of makes me afraid of being too confused. Snake sounds like Beavis in "Beavis and Butthead." And he is soooo old. I like the anti-war message to it all and hope the cutscenses are worth it. ( I was watching in-game cutscene on youtube and it seemed kind of lame. A little girl kept offering Snake coffee and he kept refusing-- it was a really lame joke, and some other lewd lame humor (too Japanese for me). Did anyone else fear that the acting would be kind of corny, but then once they got it were proven wrong?

angusclone2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 angusclone2
Member since 2008 • 1726 Posts

Which aspects of the stories are you comparing,exactly? And from your thoughts on theMetal Gear Solid 4 story, you don't know the half of it.

Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Snakeeyes8855
Which aspects of the stories are you comparing,exactly?angusclone2
I remember playing a game called Final Fantasy X, and when I walked away from that I was awe struck. The awe striking factor will be what determines which game I purchase. Or what game spot terms the "Oh Snap" factor
Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Snakeeyes8855
[QUOTE="angusclone2"]Which aspects of the stories are you comparing,exactly?Snakeeyes8855
I remember playing a game called Final Fantasy X, and when I walked away from that I was awe struck. The awe striking factor will be what determines which game I purchase. Or what game spot terms the "Oh Snap" factor

As well overall experience. I'm a pretty dynamic gamer...
angusclone2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 angusclone2
Member since 2008 • 1726 Posts
[QUOTE="angusclone2"]Which aspects of the stories are you comparing,exactly?Snakeeyes8855

I haven't played Bioshock yet (put the guns away!), but Metal Gear Solid has my favorite storyline of any video game.
Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Snakeeyes8855
I think too many people have been scared to compare these two games. When I played Bioshock, it reminded me of Disneyworld level creativity. What I read from Business Week ironically was that the Metal Gear Solid producer was greatly inspired by Disneyland-- as far as knockout 360 degree experience goes..
chopstx667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chopstx667
Member since 2006 • 588 Posts
I've never played a previous MGS game and bought MGS4. Let me tell you I wasn't confused much at all, the game does a very good game introducing new players to the story. If you want to get a complete grasp of everything going on, look up the backstories of the previous games.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I'm still playing MGS4, but I think Bioshock's story is better. The setting and atmosphere are great, plus a superb plot twist which you don't expect.

kansaspwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 kansaspwnage
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
Overall Including story: MGS4 > Bioshock Might be why I beat MGS4 11 times and Bioshock only once.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
I didnt play bioshock for the story. I played it for the unique underwater horror setting. The story was decent at best. It was the whole "would you kindly "twist" crap that made me despise the game's story. Oh and the ending was anti-climatic. very meh. mgs' story as a whole is amazing. Tons of hidden messages like anti war, anti nuke, from a Japanese point of view. Very creative.
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
MGS' story had its roots firmly planted in the PS1 era...(even though there were a few mgs games before the ps1... it gained notoriety on the first ps system) if you've followed the story from that time up until now, then it should be clear cut that MGS4 wins by a long shot. It was definitely an excellent conclusion to an outstanding saga.... However, if you want to compare mgs4 with Bioshock looking solely and exclusively at the two games.. then I personally think that Bioshock is the victor.
goyolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#12 goyolap
Member since 2005 • 477 Posts

mgs4 has better story and everything, but bioshock still shine from it philosofical aspect and immersive story telling .But mgs has come long way and develop to the best franchise of all time and also the best ever crafted up to now

sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

Haven't seen any comparisons of these. Bottom line is that I have to choose one. I was leaning towards Bioshock because Bioshock II is about to come out. BUT Bioshock kind of seems too easy and plays too much like Oblvion. However, I like the horror theme, and the water envrionments. Played through Demo--liked it for what it was.

Metal Gear Solid seems amazing. I just read an article about it in Business Week. BUT, the fact that I have never played any of the previous games before kind of makes me afraid of being too confused. Snake sounds like Beavis in "Beavis and Butthead." And he is soooo old. I like the anti-war message to it all and hope the cutscenses are worth it. ( I was watching in-game cutscene on youtube and it seemed kind of lame. A little girl kept offering Snake coffee and he kept refusing-- it was a really lame joke, and some other lewd lame humor (too Japanese for me). Did anyone else fear that the acting would be kind of corny, but then once they got it were proven wrong?

Snakeeyes8855
wow let me guess you been gaming for since bioshock came out. dont mention mgs in the same sentence as bioshock
reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
is this topic for real??? MGS4 is obviously better
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Both really good.... but MGS beats it, as a franchise, at least.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

MGS4 no contest. The ending of Bioshock is horrible and very anti climatic. MGS4 is a thrill ride and no you won't be confused lol. They did a great job at pleasing fans of the series and newcomers to the series.

Bioshock isn't even worthy of being compared to MGS4 in my opinion.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I didnt play bioshock for the story. I played it for the unique underwater horror setting. The story was decent at best. It was the whole "would you kindly "twist" crap that made me despise the game's story. Oh and the ending was anti-climatic. very meh. mgs' story as a whole is amazing. Tons of hidden messages like anti war, anti nuke, from a Japanese point of view. Very creative. ReaperV7
I agree, I didn't play Bioshock for the story, but it was still pretty decent. I've played all the MGS so im a bit biased, but with a right to be so. MGS series has a very deep plot that branches off and ties together with different characters *as the series progresses too!*. Its very hard to make a solid plot as a sequel progresses, but MGS is a master at this and they got up to 4! That says a LOT since the inicial plot hasn't changed into something completley different, its developed. MGS4's plot beats Bio's by a landslide to the point that its not even fair to compare Bio to MGS4. You would need to take something with a bunch of sequels like Final Fantasy to even make it close.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Snakeeyes8855

Do not buy Metal Gear Solid 4. You haven't played any of the previous game and I promise you're going to go through MGS4 thinking "I should've bought Bioshock..."

The MGS franchise isn't one where you can just read a synapse and start from wherever you want. There are little details and things that you have to experience first hand in order to get your money's worth, and that's important considering today's economy. The MGS games are a commitment, meaning, if you buy the first one, you have to play the last three if you really want a full experience, because that's why we buy video games, right?

I don't pay $59.99 for half of what I'm expecting - hell no.

So in short, if you aren't planning on buying the MGS Essential Collectionfirst, then don't bother with MGS4 and just pick up Bioshock.

Whatever you do, though, you can't be wrong because both games are stellar in their own rights.

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
Bioshock had a great story with nice twists, the ending however was rushed and disappointing. MGS4 wins in the story department no contest.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="Snakeeyes8855"]

Do not buy Metal Gear Solid 4. You haven't played any of the previous game and I promise you're going to go through MGS4 thinking "I should've bought Bioshock..."

The MGS franchise isn't one where you can just read a synapse and start from wherever you want. There are little details and things that you have to experience first hand in order to get your money's worth, and that's important considering today's economy. The MGS games are a commitment, meaning, if you buy the first one, you have to play the last three if you really want a full experience, because that's why we buy video games, right?

I don't pay $59.99 for half of what I'm expecting - hell no.

So in short, if you aren't planning on buying the MGS Essential Collectionfirst, then don't bother with MGS4 and just pick up Bioshock.

Whatever you do, though, you can't be wrong because both games are stellar in their own rights.

I couldn't disagree more. MGS4 is one of the best games out there for any system ever. There is a lot of reasons to buy the game aside from the storyline. There is a free DLC that explains prior MGS series and it won't prevent you from enjoying the game by not having played any of the pevious ones. If you have played the ones before MGS4, then you will probably enjoy the game more. If you havn't played any of the others, playing MGS4 will probably want to make you play the entire series. MGS4 does a pretty good job with flashbacks to catch you up to speed, but you will get MORE out of the game by playing the others first. By no means should it discourage you from getting MGS4 especially since its so cheap to get now.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I couldn't disagree more. MGS4 is one of the best games out there for any system ever. There is a lot of reasons to buy the game aside from the storyline. There is a free DLC that explains prior MGS series and it won't prevent you from enjoying the game by not having played any of the pevious ones. If you have played the ones before MGS4, then you will probably enjoy the game more. If you havn't played any of the others, playing MGS4 will probably want to make you play the entire series. MGS4 does a pretty good job with flashbacks to catch you up to speed, but you will get MORE out of the game by playing the others first. By no means should it discourage you from getting MGS4 especially since its so cheap to get now. Ninja_Zombie83

This is my point.

I don't agree with this, but it's really all subjective.

I think that in order to enjoy Metal Gear Solid 4 as a true sequel, you need to play the other games first, and if you don't, then you're just experiencing a stand alone game.

MGS4 is a more fullfiling experience in sequel form because you've already got the character development and familiarity that eventually provokes emotional responses from certain scenes and events that take place during the course of the game.

These responses aren't as strong if you've only known Snake for the length of one game, as opposed to four.

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

Bioshock has a good atmosphere. The story is not much of a story as it is a background picture slowly painted by (generally smartly written) audio tapes you find through the game, like in the recent Doom game. There are some interesting things in there, a good twist somewhere in the middle of the game, though the otherhalf goes downhill fast.There's no cinematography to speak of, no character interactions, the main character is mute, all you do is listen to the tapes which paint the background, preferably not while killing baddies if you want to actually understand what they say. The game is half decent, half boring, but ultimatellymore interesting than your average Resistance or Halo.

MGS4 is in an entirely different league in every possible aspect regarding thestory (and everything else).

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Both are great, but get Bioshock if you haven't played any past MGS games. If you want to understand the story in MGS4, playing the other games in the series is pretty much a must. Bioshock is the first game of the series, so there's no catching up to do story-wise as there would be with MGS... So anyway, if you haven't played other MGS games, get Bioshock, if you have played the other MGS games, get MGS4.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

I think too many people have been scared to compare these two games. When I played Bioshock, it reminded me of Disneyworld level creativity. What I read from Business Week ironically was that the Metal Gear Solid producer was greatly inspired by Disneyland-- as far as knockout 360 degree experience goes..Snakeeyes8855

Bioshock's story isn't spectacular. Don't get me wrong it was good but nothing compared to MGS (The entire series).

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
I can't compare them at all. The MGS story is the greatest story series IMHO. It is deep and tricky.
jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

MGS4 has the better story by far....plus it's pretty fun online.

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

Bioshock's story had the best story of any game i have played.

Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Snakeeyes8855

I think Bioshock gets "IT" done with fewer words (shorter gameplay experience). I honestly think MGS4 may have better story, gameplay mechanics, and graphics, Bioshock is simply immerisive as well as a good "piece" to have in your gaming puzzle. Wheras MGS4 is like a whole dam.n puzzle in itself.

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Comparing one game's story to a series which are considered by many as a masterpiece... Biuoshock has a very good storybut not enough to top the Metal Gear Solid series...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#32 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Both stories borrow from a lot of sources. The MGS series has great dynamic characters, excellent situations, and so many plot twists. It's heavy handed at times, but it's so excellent in form. MGS series hands down. Bioshock's story is pretty Ayn Rand-ish. The philisophical elements are cool, but that isn't the story really. The actual story telling is a pretty formulaic tale of betrayal. I love both games though.
iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts

dumb title

zach667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zach667
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i liked bioshock early on but it just got boring and then the ending was crap compared to mgs its a no contest and as for the posters who say mgs4 is "good" without playing the past games is a tard
mazdoriant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mazdoriant
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
I will tell everyone this. Awhile back I rented Metal Gear Solid 4 and thought it was fun gameplay wise. Although, once the story started up, I was lost from the first conversation. I never played any previous Metal Gear Solid games and was totally baffled as to why I was playing an old man. Needless to say, I made it to chapter 3 and gave up. I had to take it back to the store and never rented it since. I heard it's an insane story but I will in no way buy the others to understand it. Bioshock's story was just mind boggling from the start. Who gets lucky enough to survive a plane crash and in no coincidence right over an underwater city just miles beneath the surface? I know why but I will not spoil it for other gamers. I guess, can I go with both? I still have no idea what Metal Gear Solid's story was all about but the fight scenes were entertaining to say the least.
Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Snakeeyes8855

dumb title

iamshivy

I don't think so at all. Most of these posts have been pretty focused on comparing the stories. Maybe "experience" would be a better one? But that is too vague, no game critique gives points for"theexperience"..

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
Well, would you prefer FPS or TPS? MGS4 is TPS. If it makes no difference to you I think it'd be completely rediculous to consider anything over MGS4. Thats (IMO) THE best game on PS3 thus far. Its the best well-rounded game; great gameplay, great story, great graphics, great replay value, great etc..... I don't understand why anybody who owns a PS3 doesn't own a copy of this game. Just sayin'. I really suggest you pick it up, my friend. You'll be SOOO glad you did! P.S. Don't worry about being confused. The story is told so well it that they won't explain too much of the old games to confuse someone thats new to the series.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nephilim83
I will tell everyone this. Awhile back I rented Metal Gear Solid 4 and thought it was fun gameplay wise. Although, once the story started up, I was lost from the first conversation. I never played any previous Metal Gear Solid games and was totally baffled as to why I was playing an old man. Needless to say, I made it to chapter 3 and gave up. I had to take it back to the store and never rented it since. I heard it's an insane story but I will in no way buy the others to understand it. Bioshock's story was just mind boggling from the start. Who gets lucky enough to survive a plane crash and in no coincidence right over an underwater city just miles beneath the surface? I know why but I will not spoil it for other gamers. I guess, can I go with both? I still have no idea what Metal Gear Solid's story was all about but the fight scenes were entertaining to say the least.mazdoriant
Dude, I've been a MGS fan from the very start and have explored every aspect of the story, and even I was baffled as to why Snake was so old. They explain why in the game. They explain EVERYTHING in the game. You're supposed to be confused at first. That's how good mysteries are. You're supposed to save some big reveals and plot twists for later on. And Hideo Kojima's always been a bit of an extremist as far as plot twists go. So, if you're confused just wait it out. Its not hard to figure out at all. I guess you just have to be into this sorta thing. Bioshock on the other hand..... Predictable. Would you kindly recommend a different game? LOL (just kidding. Bioshock is great! Play them both if you can.)
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nephilim83
Oh, one more thing. If you really feel you should play catch up on the MGS story you can go on the PSN under Add-ons for MGS4 and download the Metal Gear Solid Database. Its basically an encyclopedia of the MGS universe. There is a timeline in there that will explain everything that's happen up to the point of MGS4. There is also a character database that shows bios on each character and how they are linked to each other character. Its vastly extensive. They also have any spoilers for MGS4 locked and inaccessible until you have beaten the game. So, unless you have a game save of a cleared campaign it is impossible to ruin any of the many suprises MGS4 holds. HOWEVER, if you do plan to play the other games in the series and would like to enjoy them to their fullest I highly recommend you skip this database all together. The plot twists in each game is what gives them that beloved "oh snap" factor, and you wouldn't want your "oh snap" taken away, would you? Anyway, its up to you, buddy. Hope this helps.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Another "Compare "X game" to Metal Gear Solid 4" thread? This never ends and its close to be a year! Shows how MGS4 and the entire franchise proves to be THAT good.

mazdoriant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mazdoriant
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
To Nephilim83: Thanks for explaining man. I have $60 on a Gamestop Edge card and the last game I did buy was Bioshock with Valkyria Chronicles. I have beaten Bioshock but left Valkyria Chronicles for another time. I did enjoy Bioshock and thought it to be one of the coolest atmospheres in any game to date thus far. Just my opinion though. Just from you explaining the plot twists and what not, I'm now actually considering picking it up. I never truly finished the game but I did delete my past saves. Ah well, fresh new start would work considering I got tired of the long cut-scenes and having no idea what was going on, I would ignore it and takes some nature pictures. If it is indeed one incredible story, then I must take a look into it. I don't play games a whole lot which throws those sequels out the door. I am still either considering buying Sacred 2 or inFamous, whichever one I decide for that Edge card. Not a fan of GTA games though. To realistically violent for my taste so that probably will rule out inFamous unfortunately. I don't mean to get off topic here for other people so I'm sorry. And thank you Nephilim83 for persuading me to get it. Also, you believe in the Nephilim? I do. I just wondered what they looked like and how tall they were.
Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Snakeeyes8855
I just read a summary of the whole metal gear solid series (excluding Metal Gear Solid 4). That was completely nuts, just reading the plots was intense! One question is Solidus Snake defeated (killed) in Metal Gear Solid 2? Wow-- That plot is so involved.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nephilim83
I just read a summary of the whole metal gear solid series (excluding Metal Gear Solid 4). That was completely nuts, just reading the plots was intense! One question is Solidus Snake defeated (killed) in Metal Gear Solid 2? Wow-- That plot is so involved.Snakeeyes8855
Yes. Solidus Snake is defeated in MGS2...... Mwuahahahaha!!!! Sorry, but I cannot explain that evil laugh. You'll just have to suffer its mystery. Mwuahahhahaha! That evil laugh was for the unexplanation of the previous one and how much of a bass turd I can be.....
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nephilim83
You believe in the Nephilim? I do. I just wondered what they looked like and how tall they were. mazdoriant
Yes, I do believe in the Nephilim, and I am 6'8" and one drop-dead sexy beast. lol Seriously, my height is what won me the nick name. I had a bunch of hippie christian friends who use to tell me about them and made up all this crazy folklore about them. They're also supposed to be peaceful and wise. Since I am peaceful, wise (somewhat), and tall they thought Nephilim was an appropriate name for me. I haven't seen those weirdos in like 5 years, but I still use the name. Oh, and you're welcome for the explanation on the game. I really hope you give it a second chance and enjoy it. If you don't I will be so so shocked.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Bioshock is one of my favorite single player FPS games because it has nice story and atmospheric feel.

However, you simply can't in any way compare it to Metal Gear's 20 years of history, especially when you're taking into account the story.

Metal Gear is all about story: mature, gory, political - twisted so many times you have to replay the games few times to actually understand the scope Kojima implemented.

Story wise, I highly doubt there is any franchise that can stand toe to toe with Metal Gear.

Other then Final Fantasies which have their own with each titles (except FFX-2) there is hardly any game that reaches Snake and his journey.

That's how I feel about it at least and I had played pretty much every major franchise game in my sixteen years of gaming.

You really can't appreciate MGS until you get older and your mind starts to comprehend the ideology of series creator. ;)

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

They both have great stories but since you haven't played the other MGS games, I suggest you go with Bioshock.

Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Snakeeyes8855

my original plan of action for gaming was to get the following games: Tekken 6, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Bioshock and Bioshock 2, and Heavy Rain If I got MGS, it would be. MGS the essential collection, MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots, and Tekken 6.(for the conclusion of my gaming for the end of the year)Which one of these choices would be most fun for you all as a gamer? (Oh yea, I have KZ2, and am loving it enough to forgo Call of Duty no matter how good it is).

Ilearn from my finance classes to "diversify." The MGS route would be going for one PS game and two PS2 games. Putting all my eggs in the Metal Gear series. I'd take my time through all of the games. It would be extremely casual and take the rest of the year probabably and then some.Wheras my original option is all ps3 games. My question: How important is that MGS series anyway. What does it mean to you? I would hate myslef if I played everya game I named:)?Thanks.

Thinking philosophically, would you rather "shop" for the supoosedly HUGE second half for ps3 titles, or (if you were ignorant of MGS) go back and relive the experience to which many say are synonomous with the Playsation. And the main reason to have a PS3?

Snakeeyes8855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Snakeeyes8855
The question is driving me mad (not really). Can you guys make it easier for me?
edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts

First of all if somebody has Snake or a Big Daddy in their profile pic ignore their comments.

If you are looking for a story driven game, and you are well read... Bioshock. The game mixes German existentialism and American objectivism with action and horror in a completely unique way. I have never seen video-games as both intellectual and art in the same way that I saw Bioshock.

edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts

Both stories borrow from a lot of sources. The MGS series has great dynamic characters, excellent situations, and so many plot twists. It's heavy handed at times, but it's so excellent in form. MGS series hands down. Bioshock's story is pretty Ayn Rand-ish. The philisophical elements are cool, but that isn't the story really. The actual story telling is a pretty formulaic tale of betrayal. I love both games though.hillelslovak

I have heard this argument many times. Bioshock is Ayn Rand meets Nietzsche meets misinterpretations of both thinkers. It is too often passed off as just Ayn Rand, and I think that is a dangerous and (without sounding like a d-bag) ignorant approach. The focus on the objectivist commercialism is embraced while the story parts dedicatedto the "will" and "self-creation" (classic Nietzsche) seem to be ignored by fans and critics alike.