• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blizzgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blizzgeek
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
In my opinion the expansions completely ruined the game, I played during the "Golden Years" of the game. I really enjoyed the old honor system it made extremely competitive during the week with the top 10-15 people going for GM or HW. Now world PvP is almost non-existent and honestly boring in every sense of the word. They made the game a lot more noob friendly...... I really never enjoyed raiding for 3-4 hours at a time yet i completed all the content the game has to offer. Well the reason why I'm posting this is I wanted to get some opinions. I bought the last two expansions and was really disappointed with the end result, but the rated BG's add an aspect to the game i think i will enjoy very much. Should i re level another character or just wait for D3?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I totally agree 100%. I quit 2 months into Burning Crusades. Vanilla WoW was and still is the best.

blizzgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blizzgeek
Oh sorry, I'm very new to the forum and sorry if i should of posted it somewhere else.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Oh sorry, I'm very new to the forum and sorry if i should of posted it somewhere else.blizzgeek

Nope, this is a good place to have this.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

No doubt 1-60 WOW was the best but TBC was pretty good to me. It was WOTLK that messed it all up.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

If you say so.. I thought WoW's end game for the original was garbage.. And the PVP was probably some of the most imbalanced out there.. Not to mention classes were completely imbalanced pve, or numerous features like auto finding groups were absent.. I will say I liked BC's oen much more then Wrath's.. But the original? Hell no.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

Welcome to the forums man.

As for your concerns, well, I enjoyed vanilla WoW (still do, currently leveling a shaman and a warlock, both in their 30s) but the expansions were also great. I agree they completely changed a lot of the fundamentals, but frankly I would take a noob-friendly MMO with a huge community and a lot of depth over a hardcore MMO with a lot of depth and a small community.

"Noob" is too harsh imo, anyway...I would call WoW the "Everyman's MMO"

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I really enjoyed the old honor system it made extremely competitive during the week with the top 10-15 people going for GM or HW.blizzgeek
How anyone could have enjoyed that is beyond me. Only people with absolutely no social life could reach something because you had to be online 24/7.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
My best experiences of WoW are from vanilla, but vanilla is far from what WoW is today. WoW has fixed every problem there was in vanilla (And added some new ones) but the new WoW is better. I've been playing since launch with 1-5 month breaks in between, mostly casual so I have played through every expansion and near every major content patch. If anything BC messed up WoW, and WOTLK fixed it IMO, dunno why people think WOTLK ruined anything, BC implemented all the crap elements of WoW today, and WOTLK implemented all of the great elements of WoW today.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="blizzgeek"]I really enjoyed the old honor system it made extremely competitive during the week with the top 10-15 people going for GM or HW.nethernova
How anyone could have enjoyed that is beyond me. Only people with absolutely no social life could reach something because you had to be online 24/7.

pretty much this.

Not criticising you TC, but frankly the changes they made to casualize WoW were for the best.

Prior to WoW and its expansions, MMO players were stereotyped poorly and for good reasons. WoW sort of opened the genre to the world.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Vanilla WoW...really wasnt all that great.

The old honor system was absolutely terrible for healers. I hated it so much. Healers were necessary but got the short end of the stick. Nothing, NOTHING was worse than placing a weak Heal-Over-Time spell only to get bombarded by 8 enemy NPC's because no one bohers to hold aggro. After a while i just didnt bother to heal anyone other than myself, guild mates, and my brother...meanwhile i kept getting nasty /whispers of "why dont you healz me!?!?!"

The GM/HW was a grind directly proportional to the time invested. Sorry, thats a fail game mechanic if i ever saw one. You know what else is a mechanics that rewards you proportional to the time invested? An hourly job. Thats exactly what it was and felt like; another job. Thats fun? Are you serious?

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Yes vanilla WoW was the best. I usually resubscribe maybe once a year, have loads of fun, then get bored to death. It just feels like a huge grind now and the sense of adventure is gone.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Oh sorry, I'm very new to the forum and sorry if i should of posted it somewhere else.blizzgeek
No, I'm sorry. I jumped the gun and your topic actually brings up a great WoW discussion. I edited my original post and like I said, I totally agree 100% :D
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I started playing about 6 months after launch and have played on and off for 5 years. I have to say for the most part I agree with the OP. BC raid progression and leveling seems to have been poorly designed - opening raid was way to difficult and the rewards were terrible. It took them months to sort that out. They also severely nerfed or changed a lot of class mechanics that were much loved in the original (Mage shatter combos anyone?). Arena IMO was the worst thing to happen post-vanilla as it forced Blizz to try and balance classes around small group PvP, which screwed PvE and battleground balance half the time. That's not even mentioning the colossall amount of whining that accompanies all things arena and the fact it pits the PvE crowd against the PvP crowd.

WofLK was better, the leveling was smother, more interesting quests, raid progression was MUCH more accessible, but again focusing on arenas really detracted from most people's PvP experience. Again they changed class mechanics and balance that people liked.

As for Cataclysm, the changes they are making seems to be somewhat of an admission that the screwed some things up. BG's will be the focus for PvP again, throwing out filler talents and giving people spec abilities early on, streamlining skill progression, etc... It just seems lazy to me though that they are just revamping a lot of old content, especially in the raid area. I'll probably give it a shot, but I doubt it will hold my attention for more than a month or two.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Well last I played was somewhere when Icecrown Citadel got released, I like the expansions. However WotLK was sort of disappointing (Lack of Nerubian and Vyrkul raid and then the badge system) I liked TBC, I might try Cataclysm whenever it comes out.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
My best experiences of WoW are from vanilla, but vanilla is far from what WoW is today. WoW has fixed every problem there was in vanilla (And added some new ones) but the new WoW is better. I've been playing since launch with 1-5 month breaks in between, mostly casual so I have played through every expansion and near every major content patch. If anything BC messed up WoW, and WOTLK fixed it IMO, dunno why people think WOTLK ruined anything, BC implemented all the crap elements of WoW today, and WOTLK implemented all of the great elements of WoW today.Im_single
This is what I hear too; I'm a big fan of vanilla, quit once I got my epic flying mount in BC, so I was excited to see a thread giving vanilla WoW some love... but people I know who still play the game swear up and down that a lot of stuff has been fixed for the better since vanilla. Vanilla WoW ranks as one of my very favorite game experiences and I even get pretty nostalgic about it from time to time, but that said I know they probably fixed some stuff for the better since I left.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I miss the difficulty of the game. When you got something you earned it. Now blizz gives a lot of gear away with little or no effort.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

No doubt 1-60 WOW was the best but TBC was pretty good to me. It was WOTLK that messed it all up.

mattuk69
this ^ but looks like cataclysm will fix everything :)
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I don't think they ruined the game, I think the massive influx of casuals and total destruction of any sort of community are what ruined a game. You may think grinding ZG for months just so you could gear up enough to stay alive in MC was fun, or having to farm AQ40 over and over again just to survive in naxx was fun, but I don't.

There were no summon stones, for a while there were no cross-server BG's, you had to go to battlemasters, PVP gear required one hell of a grind, no dungeon finder, no emblems, you would run out of quests and would have to grind entire levels, and it would take at least an hour to get everyone to any instance.

Despite all those issues, what made the game fun was the community and the sense of accomplishment. When you saw a person wearing an epic, it meant something. It was so thrilling to see anyone with a corrupted ashbringer or even ashkandi. The epic class quest lines were incredible, and you would have to be lucky if you were in a guild that could raid or could at least gear people up to D2. Those are the things I miss about WoW.

Morello964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Morello964
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts

I don't think they ruined the game, I think the massive influx of casuals and total destruction of any sort of community are what ruined a game. You may think grinding ZG for months just so you could gear up enough to stay alive in MC was fun, or having to farm AQ40 over and over again just to survive in naxx was fun, but I don't.

There were no summon stones, for a while there were no cross-server BG's, you had to go to battlemasters, PVP gear required one hell of a grind, no dungeon finder, no emblems, you would run out of quests and would have to grind entire levels, and it would take at least an hour to get everyone to any instance.

Despite all those issues, what made the game fun was the community and the sense of accomplishment. When you saw a person wearing an epic, it meant something. It was so thrilling to see anyone with a corrupted ashbringer or even ashkandi. The epic class quest lines were incredible, and you would have to be lucky if you were in a guild that could raid or could at least gear people up to D2. Those are the things I miss about WoW.

shakmaster13

MC came out after ZG. You didn't need ZG gear AT ALL to do MC. The hunter class quest was the most fun i've ever had (without social aspect) in WoW. Rest I pretty much agree with but you can't knock WoW for not having cross server stuff because that's difficult to implement imo and it sort of takes away from building a friends list.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

I miss the difficulty of the game. When you got something you earned it. Now blizz gives a lot of gear away with little or no effort.

Sacif

i dont

I refuse to spend 100+ hours for "epic" shoulders.

Hell, it takes about 10-20 hours to get enough emblems of triumph for gear, and even that is too long.

solidsnake2050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 solidsnake2050
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

I don't know, I can see your point but there was a lot of bad stuff to Vanilla.

The game was extremely imbalanced back then and for longer periods of time. As well, you have to consider the 'newness' factor. Everyone loved Vanilla on their first play through, if they didn't they probably wouldn't have even tested the expansions.

But as time moved on, there were glaring flaws with Vanilla. Not being able to spec any tree for raids is not okay. And difficulty wasn't as much an issue as time involvement was. I wouldn't say Vanilla was challenging, but rather much more time demanding.

But the expansions had faults as well. BC still had some balance issues and Wrath had a really weak raid progression.

In the end though, Cataclysm seems to strike the best balance. It doesn't demand excess time but rather skill and thought, from the dungeons I've seen.

The early Cataclysm dungeons seem to require more thought than many, if not all, Wrath heroics.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

Morello964

MC came out after ZG. You didn't need ZG gear AT ALL to do MC. The hunter class quest was the most fun i've ever had (without social aspect) in WoW. Rest I pretty much agree with but you can't knock WoW for not having cross server stuff because that's difficult to implement imo and it sort of takes away from building a friends list.

But you would usually have to wait several hours in queue before a BG opened unless you were doing it as a giant group.
blizzgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blizzgeek
I can see all of your point's and i agree with most of them but there's something i miss about the game. Pre BC i could log on and have non stop fun until i logged off and now i feel bored if i log on for 25+ mins. Maybe its because most of my IRL friends quit which is a definite possibility. I never made it to Marshal status but i was damn near close to it. In high school i had an active social life, got great grades and still maintained playing WoW hardcore, so i really wasn't a no-lifer. I think another thing is almost every single player is "epic'd out" so when you get a new piece of equipment its not as exciting. I still remember when a good friend of mine got his Ashkandi (some of the older players probably know what this weapon is but it was the best 2H warrior weapon for PvP and PvE at the time except for the GM Blade of course).
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

I never played in Vanilla, but WoTLK made the game easier and atleast now everyone can raid and not just 15% of the community.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

Yes i too loved WoW pre BC. I like alot of the gameplay change though, UI and such i mean. I wish they would make servers just vanilla wow...is this even possible?

I used to love the 10 man strat and scholo runs lol.

sozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 sozar
Member since 2003 • 428 Posts

I quited playing WoW after 3 months of release of TBC i had full tier 2 rogue dam i miss those days and IMO reseliance runed WoW.

blizzgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blizzgeek

I don't know, I can see your point but there was a lot of bad stuff to Vanilla.

The game was extremely imbalanced back then and for longer periods of time. As well, you have to consider the 'newness' factor. Everyone loved Vanilla on their first play through, if they didn't they probably wouldn't have even tested the expansions.

But as time moved on, there were glaring flaws with Vanilla. Not being able to spec any tree for raids is not okay. And difficulty wasn't as much an issue as time involvement was. I wouldn't say Vanilla was challenging, but rather much more time demanding.

But the expansions had faults as well. BC still had some balance issues and Wrath had a really weak raid progression.

In the end though, Cataclysm seems to strike the best balance. It doesn't demand excess time but rather skill and thought, from the dungeons I've seen.

The early Cataclysm dungeons seem to require more thought than many, if not all, Wrath heroics.

solidsnake2050
I agree and disagree, I agree with you with the class balancing and i still feel there are some issues they have to address concerning this. I disagree with the part about Vanilla being not difficult. PvP was easy i will give you that but i must say out of every game i ever played Cthun was the hardest "boss" fight i ever encountered when it first came out. My guild must have wiped 80+ times before we finally downed him and when that moment happened i was ecstatic.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#29 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Here's why the expansions made the game better:

• No more struggling to get enough people in your guild for raids
  • No more mindless grinding for PvP titles. Now they take skill
  • Flying mounts
  • Arena PvP adding a new competitive level to the game and putting ex-rank 14 players to shame
  • The best PvP sets take skill to aquire rather than mindless grinding
  • PvP gear is available to everyone
  • Resillience
  • Badge gear available for people who don't want to spend hours per day raiding. Although raiding still produces better gear
  • Ability to find dungeon groups much easier
  • World PvP zone which will be the main daily quest hub for either the Horde or the Alliance

These are the things that spring to mind. In Cataclysm you might have to be at the instance in order to find a group, which keeps the ease of finding groups but brings back the feel of adventuring.

PvP ranks are back for rated battlegrounds. So you're bound to see guild matches more often and people building PvP teams.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Unreal-

Sacif
Difficulty is still there. How long did it take your guild to beat Kil'Jaeden or Illidan? How long did they take to beat Algalon or Yogg Saron? How long did they spend trying to get grand crusader? How long did it take for them to kill Professor Putricide, Blood Queen and Lich King? all since they were released. Blizzard intentionally makes some of the dungeons easier towards the end of expansions in order to let people experience them. Icecrown is an example of this. This however doesn't rid the game of the challenge there is when instances are first released. Unless you're in an exceptionally good guild it's going to take you a while to beat the latest bosses. Just because it's purple doesn't mean it's good. The best PvE gear still comes from being in a good guild and putting in effort to get it. The best PvP gear now takes SKILL and teamwork to get it instead of just mindlessly grinding.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

Most games get harder as you progress. WoW, aside (maybe) from dungeons, gets easier. They're doing it wrong.

I should be careful what I wish for though. It seems that they are going to "fix" the situation be making all of the early levels easier. :P :(

Oh well, it's not like I intended to go back to the game again anyway.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I don't necesarily think WoW has gotten any easier, it is easier to gear up but that is because there are gear options available now that werent before (Badges, heroics, etc.) that's not to say that the top tier raiding game isn't difficult, in fact it is just as, if not more difficult than previous WoW ever was, not to mention top tier arena is highly competetive. WoW is more accessible now than it ever was, which is IMO a great thing, because not everyone has time to gear up and do the high end raid content, for those people who play more casually there is casual focused content that gives appropriate ilvl gear for the time invested, and for the people who want to invest more time and skill there is that content available too. Vanilla WoW had content only for hardcore players, the casual content did not exist in Vanilla. Whereas WoW today has the hardcore content for hardcore players and it has the casual content for casual players.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StopThePresses

I don't necesarily think WoW has gotten any easier, it is easier to gear up but that is because there are gear options available now that werent before (Badges, heroics, etc.) that's not to say that the top tier raiding game isn't difficult, in fact it is just as, if not more difficult than previous WoW ever was, not to mention top tier arena is highly competetive. WoW is more accessible now than it ever was, which is IMO a great thing, because not everyone has time to gear up and do the high end raid content, for those people who play more casually there is casual focused content that gives appropriate ilvl gear for the time invested, and for the people who want to invest more time and skill there is that content available too. Vanilla WoW had content only for hardcore players, the casual content did not exist in Vanilla. Whereas WoW today has the hardcore content for hardcore players and it has the casual content for casual players.Im_single
Regular content is easier. In the early zones, mobs are more likely to catch you off guard and gang up on you and such, and then on top of that, the gear you get from doing quests is not as good relative to the enemies.

WotLK, I could get quite a few "adds" and be able to take them out and barely even try. Low level content, I'd often have to use every tool at my disposal to deal with those situations. I'm talking about plain old soloing. Why does THAT get easier?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
[QUOTE="blizzgeek"]I really enjoyed the old honor system it made extremely competitive during the week with the top 10-15 people going for GM or HW.nethernova

MMO should have heights that only a few players would reach....
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="Im_single"]I don't necesarily think WoW has gotten any easier, it is easier to gear up but that is because there are gear options available now that werent before (Badges, heroics, etc.) that's not to say that the top tier raiding game isn't difficult, in fact it is just as, if not more difficult than previous WoW ever was, not to mention top tier arena is highly competetive. WoW is more accessible now than it ever was, which is IMO a great thing, because not everyone has time to gear up and do the high end raid content, for those people who play more casually there is casual focused content that gives appropriate ilvl gear for the time invested, and for the people who want to invest more time and skill there is that content available too. Vanilla WoW had content only for hardcore players, the casual content did not exist in Vanilla. Whereas WoW today has the hardcore content for hardcore players and it has the casual content for casual players.StopThePresses

Regular content is easier. In the early zones, mobs are more likely to catch you off guard and gang up on you and such, and then on top of that, the gear you get from doing quests is not as good relative to the enemies.

WotLK, I could get quite a few "adds" and be able to take them out and barely even try. Low level content, I'd often have to use every tool at my disposal to deal with those situations. I'm talking about plain old soloing. Why does THAT get easier?

Because you as a character have by that point, travelled accross most of the world and Outland, killed many many enemies, become more and more skilled at using various weapons (weapon skills) and have aquired more and more powerful equipment. It's only natural to have the player feel stronger as they progress through the game.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StopThePresses
[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

[QUOTE="Im_single"]I don't necesarily think WoW has gotten any easier, it is easier to gear up but that is because there are gear options available now that werent before (Badges, heroics, etc.) that's not to say that the top tier raiding game isn't difficult, in fact it is just as, if not more difficult than previous WoW ever was, not to mention top tier arena is highly competetive. WoW is more accessible now than it ever was, which is IMO a great thing, because not everyone has time to gear up and do the high end raid content, for those people who play more casually there is casual focused content that gives appropriate ilvl gear for the time invested, and for the people who want to invest more time and skill there is that content available too. Vanilla WoW had content only for hardcore players, the casual content did not exist in Vanilla. Whereas WoW today has the hardcore content for hardcore players and it has the casual content for casual players.-Unreal-

Because you as a character have by that point, travelled accross most of the world and Outland, killed many many enemies, become more and more skilled at using various weapons (weapon skills) and have aquired more and more powerful equipment. It's only natural to have the player feel stronger as they progress through the game.

It's only natural to make the game more boring then.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="blizzgeek"]I really enjoyed the old honor system it made extremely competitive during the week with the top 10-15 people going for GM or HW.Birdy09

Do you mean like:

• Grand Crusader
  • Gladiator
  • Insane
  • Celestial Defender
  • Conqueror of Naxxramas
  • Magic Seeker
  • Obsidian Slayer
  • Shadowmourne
  • Tho'ridal
  • Gladiator's Frostwyrms and Netherdrakes
  • Amani Bears
  • Mimiron's Head
  • Ashes of A'lar
  • Herald of the Titans
  • Icebound Frostbrood Vanquisher

Yeah they have those.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="StopThePresses"] Regular content is easier. In the early zones, mobs are more likely to catch you off guard and gang up on you and such, and then on top of that, the gear you get from doing quests is not as good relative to the enemies

StopThePresses

I guess that's why the number of subscribers has steadily diminished and you never see people levelling any more. Right?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="nethernova"] How anyone could have enjoyed that is beyond me. Only people with absolutely no social life could reach something because you had to be online 24/7.-Unreal-

Do you mean like:

• Grand Crusader
  • Gladiator
  • Insane
  • Celestial Defender
  • Conqueror of Naxxramas
  • Magic Seeker
  • Obsidian Slayer
  • Shadowmourne
  • Tho'ridal
  • Amani Bears
  • Mimiron's Head
  • Ashes of A'lar
  • Herald of the Titans

Yeah they have those.

Whoa Titles and Vanity Mounts/pets :roll:
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] MMO should have heights that only a few players would reach....Birdy09

Do you mean like:

• Grand Crusader
  • Gladiator
  • Insane
  • Celestial Defender
  • Conqueror of Naxxramas
  • Magic Seeker
  • Obsidian Slayer
  • Shadowmourne
  • Tho'ridal
  • Amani Bears
  • Mimiron's Head
  • Ashes of A'lar
  • Herald of the Titans

Yeah they have those.

So what heights did you have in mind? oh and none of those are vanity pets.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Do you mean like:

• Grand Crusader
  • Gladiator
  • Insane
  • Celestial Defender
  • Conqueror of Naxxramas
  • Magic Seeker
  • Obsidian Slayer
  • Shadowmourne
  • Tho'ridal
  • Amani Bears
  • Mimiron's Head
  • Ashes of A'lar
  • Herald of the Titans

Yeah they have those.

-Unreal-

Content unique to those that got that far, examples, Naxx, Black Temple? the top tier of a competitive ladder, a unique experiance that sets you apart.... bloody casual game, hell I wasnt even in naxx, struggled with early AQ .... but damn something to strive for and stand out with, everyone looks the same on that crap game now, theres nothing resembeling a world, everyones equal or nerfed.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Unreal-
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Whoa Titles and Vanity Mounts/pets :roll:Birdy09

Content unique to those that got that far, examples, Naxx, Black Temple? the top tier of a competitive ladder, a unique experiance that sets you apart.... bloody casual game, hell I wasnt even in naxx, struggled with early AQ .... but damn something to strive for and stand out with, everyone looks the same on that crap game now, theres nothing resembeling a world, everyones equal or nerfed.

You played a crap game for 700 hours (probably more)? Anyway, I don't understand what you mean by content for those that got far. Do you mean like people that clear a raid dungeon get new places unlocked? What would be the point in that? People need to kill the lower bosses anyway to get to the ones further up so it wouldn't even matter. There are competitive ladders in PvP. Not in PvE because again, you don't really need it since on each server you can clearly see who is the most successful guild. Besides, there's always websites like wowprogress if you really want to see who is beating who in PvE. The things I listed are things to strive for. You are exceptionally good at the game, you get rewarded for it. In fact they even have money prizes for arena tournaments. I find it funny you say that it's a casual game yet you say you weren't in Naxx and struggled with AQ. A bit contradicting. I don't see what you mean by everyone looking the same either. I can run through Dalaran at its busiest time, turn off player names and still name players I might know just from glancing at them. Everyone is bound to have similar equipment at the later stages of expansions when there's no new content released, but WoW has an insane amount of equipment and items in it, all of which are done with a level of artistic skill rarely seen any any other MMO.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"] Because you as a character have by that point, travelled accross most of the world and Outland, killed many many enemies, become more and more skilled at using various weapons (weapon skills) and have aquired more and more powerful equipment. It's only natural to have the player feel stronger as they progress through the game.-Unreal-

I guess that's why the number of subscribers has steadily diminished and you never see people levelling any more. Right?

Well, no, I never see anyone playing, since I haven't played the game in a long time. Also, they have not said anything about their subscriber numbers in a while, which would lead one to assume that they finally started declining. It's not like they could just keep going up forever. Of course there will be another spike when there is another expansion. That's only logical.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sacif

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

Morello964

This is incorrect. Mc was first introduced and then ZG. It was blizz's first steps in making the game easier for the masses to get into their end game content. The bosses and pulls were much easier than the trash in MC and the bosses had considerably less HP.

ZG was introduced in Patch 1.7 LINK

MC was introduced at the bginning of WoW LINK ("It was one of two forty (40) player raid dungeons available upon release of World of Warcraft,")

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Pre-tbc WoW was pretty much a mess in terms of balance, the amount of bugs and variety. It's only redeeming quality was for the people who had the time to spend raiding the highest content.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Unreal-
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"] It's only natural to make the game more boring then.StopThePresses

Well, no, I never see anyone playing, since I haven't played the game in a long time. Also, they have not said anything about their subscriber numbers in a while, which would lead one to assume that they finally started declining. It's not like they could just keep going up forever. Of course there will be another spike when there is another expansion. That's only logical.

Well I've played the game over the course of it's lifetime and I've seen lots of people making new characters. I would much rather go through the game and get to the later levels feeling strong and taking on multiple enemies at once rather than taking on single enemies. I've found the game much more enjoyable when I fight multiple targets rather than single ones.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sacif

Pre-tbc WoW was pretty much a mess in terms of balance, the amount of bugs and variety. It's only redeeming quality was for the people who had the time to spend raiding the highest content.

cyborg100000

Yeah 40 man raids with a good guild was a ton of fun. I would rather have 25 man though but still a lot of good memories (minus Onyxia's Lair and thaddius wipes in 40 Naxx :P ).

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="Morello964"]

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

Sacif

This is incorrect. Mc was first introduced and then ZG. It was blizz's first steps in making the game easier for the masses to get into their end game content. The bosses and pulls were much easier than the trash in MC and the bosses had considerably less HP.

ZG was introduced in Patch 1.7 LINK

MC was introduced at the bginning of WoW LINK ("It was one of two forty (40) player raid dungeons available upon release of World of Warcraft,")

Yet instances after ZG and MC were progressively harder. Strange.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

It was more battlegrounds and raiding that killed the game really. I played the game at release and it was chaotic, pvp going everywhere. ganking/skirmish etc. It was good fun. And the game played as it should. After Battlegrounds, the outside environment just turned into grinding, no mroe skirmishes or pvp. All the PVPers sat in queues waiting for battlegrounds. And doing the same arena over and over, day after day. And the PVE players did not even bother playing until they had a raid going. Which was about three times a week. Then they log on, do the raid, roll for gear or spend points for their gear. then log off.

That's when the game got boring. Instead of making the game about social/pvp/fun. So for example they should of added housing, proper clans, guild halls. For players to overtake each others guild halls. Keeps and Proper trade skills. More small dungeons with 5-10 player limit. And kept the PVP outside in pvp zones.

Instead Blizzard took the easy route. They made big empty spaces and chucked strong mobs in there with good drops and called it "raiding". And they made three small maps and called this pvp. And the only way to get gear was to do these raids and arena maps over and over repeatedly. They destroyed most of the fun in their own game.