What was your biggest PC game disappointment for 2012?

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I think I have to go with GW2.

What about you guys?

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
I'll agree with GW2, i was expecting good combat. Instead i got a lot of rolling around and pressing an icon.
AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

I'll agree with GW2, i was expecting good combat. Instead i got a lot of rolling around and pressing an icon.kris9031998

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
I'd say Diablo III. GW2 has surpassed my expectations thus far.. but then I never played the first.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

GW 2, first impression was excellent, the way the game is handled and pretty much any decision they make is absolutely terrible, the game went downhill fast after 1.5 months since its release and it's still going.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BSC14

I'd say Diablo III. GW2 has surpassed my expectations thus far.. but then I never played the first.UCF_Knight

I noticed some sites gave D3 an award for disappointment of 2012. I think D3's expectations were just way too high. I didn't like it at first but decided to try it again a couple days ago and I'm having a good time with it. Better than I had originally thought.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, KoA :(

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23919 Posts

Tough call, it is either between Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3, both lackluster sequels to great games.

But I will probably have to go with Guild Wars 2. Diablo 3 was a worse game, but my hype and expectations for GW2 were considerably higher.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Guild Wars 2.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
I've lowered my expectations on most games, so can't really say that there was a major disappointment this year for me. All the games mentioned so far I do not have. Really wasn't anything outstanding or very disappointing this year. Some descent games, but nothing to make me say " WOW". Been enjoying just playing through my back log and finding a few that I never knew we're as good as they have turned out. If I had to choose I would say Risen 2. Just wasn't what I was hoping for compared to the first game. Not bad, but lacked in places.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Probably Hitman or Assassins Creed 3.

Hitman just had really contrived stealth mechanics and the worst kind of trial and error gameplay.

AC 3 looked so promising from early news and previews but the 'new and improved combat' was still really weak, the stealth was just awful and the pacing was all over the place.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Diablo 3. Pretty much everything I've heard and seen about the game up until release made me very cautious about the game. I'm amazed how swiftly Blizzard turned a decent game idea into a monetization scheme that will rake them much cash for years to come at every fan's expense. I mean damn guys, you can make money without having to whore your games out.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

D3. First and last blizzard game for me

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BSC14

wis3boi

Why last? You never played WoW?

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
GW2 just didnt draw me in at all, got to level 30- something and stopped because I just didnt see a point in continuing, the combat just was not satisfying compared to WoW.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

BSC14

I did and it was one of the worst mmos ive played

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

You contradict yourself with every clueless Blizzard post you make, you always express opinions on their games when in fact you never touched a single one of them.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Strange taste you have...but that's ok.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#20 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
GW2 simply because I loved the original. The sequel threw out just about everything I loved and didn't replace it with anything near as satisfying. I'd rather instances and bots than the dynamic difficulty system that doesn't scale . AC3 also is quite poor although I didn't hype myself, it's really hard to accept how many gameplay problems it has. They had a winning formula with AC2 and they mess it up.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

tera online...was so hyped about it and when it finally releases i only played it for about a month.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts
GW2 simply because I loved the original. The sequel threw out just about everything I loved and didn't replace it with anything near as satisfying. I'd rather instances and bots than the dynamic difficulty system that doesn't scale . . nutcrackr
Agreed. Gw2 was also hyped so much that it was hard to not feel a bit let down. I was just sad to see so many good elements from the original not make it into the game.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

Strange? :lol: I don't like bilzard games and that makes me strange....okay then, sorry I don't follow the sheep herd

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Strage? :lol: I don't like bilzard games and that makes me strange....okay then, sorry I don't follow the sheep herd

No? I could have sworn you were a fan of GW2? Running with those sheep huh?

But anyway, I don't think it's strange to not like WoW. But to call it "the worst mmo you ever played"seems strange when based off of it's number of players is clearly not the worst mmo ever made. High sales dont make a good game, dont get me wrong, but when you can hold over 9 million players as long as Blizzard has with WoW youre doing something right. Not to mention the huge impact WoW has had on the MMO industry.....seems strange to call it the worst mmo ever played. Unless of course you just like to try and be different.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

Strage? :lol: I don't like bilzard games and that makes me strange....okay then, sorry I don't follow the sheep herd

But anyway, I don't think it's strange to not like WoW. But to call it "the worst mmo you ever played"seems strange when based off of it's number of players is clearly not the worst mmo ever made. High sales dont make a good game, dont get me wrong, but when you can hold over 9 million players as long as Blizzard has with WoW youre doing something right. Not to mention the huge impact WoW has had on the MMO industry.....seems strange to call it the worst mmo ever played. Unless of course you just like to try and be different.

it's a traditional carrot on a stick treadmill spreadsheet of stats gear MMO, nothing intriging about it. No customization otpions, a terrible community, and just plain old and stale. Get gear to raid, loot the gear, use that gear to do more raids to get gear.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

You're wasting your time, he admitted probably by mistake once that he just tried the trial for a few hours and hated it, he's a sheep that makes his opinion off the general internet hate, just look at his post, simply pathetic.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

it's a traditional carrot on a stick treadmill spreadsheet of stats gear MMO, nothing intriging about it. No customization otpions, a terrible community, and just plain old and stale. Get gear to raid, loot the gear, use that gear to do more raids to get gear.

And still no other game has even came close to the amount of subs Blizzard has. Not even half of the subs I would bet.

So "carrot on a stick treadmill spreadsheet of stats gear" or not they do it better than everyone else. I mean if it were just "carrot on a stick treadmill spreadsheet of stats gear" then why don't we have a bunch of games as popular as WoW racking in cash from 10 or so million subs?

I'm not even playing WoW at the moment and I might never again but worst mmo you have ever played...seems hard to believe. But hey....maybe it's just not for you.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

And still no other game has even came close to the amount of subs Blizzard has. Not even half of the subs I would bet.

So "carrot on a stick treadmill spreadsheet of stats gear" or not they do it better than everyone else. I mean if it were just "carrot on a stick treadmill spreadsheet of stats gear" then why don't we have a bunch of games as popular as WoW racking in cash from 10 or so million subs?

I'm not even playing WoW at the moment and I might never again but worst mmo you have ever played...seems hard to believe. But hey....maybe it's just not for you.

Perfect World must be the best MMO then if you like numbers so much

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Perfect World must be the best MMO then if you like numbers so much

Is PW a pay to play game that has sold and held over 10 million? Even still I never said "best"....I said they were not the worst.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Oh look....another excuse thread for BSC to remind everyone he hates GW2.

Saying that, and to prove my objectivity, my vote also goes to GW2. I had fun through leveling two level 80 characters and got my moneys worth, but I expected more from WvW. I wanted another Daoc, and GW2 WVW just does not capture that for me.

So one of my favorite games this year, yet also one of the most disappointing.

Let me add D3 sucks out loud. Worst launch I can remember and pretty much meh after that.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad

Oh noez, someone does not like the game from the grorious game dev. Quick someone call the "special forces" of the fanboy platoon. Oh wait, they are (or rather he is) already here.

And no the ad populum arguement does nto work either, sure WoW does well at what it does. But quality is subjective and clearly the shallow carrot on a stick progression and the "guitar hero/simon says" PvE clearly doesnt appeal to him.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BSC14

Saying that, and to prove my objectivity, my vote also goes to GW2. I had fun through leveling two level 80 characters and got my moneys worth, but I expected more from WvW. I wanted another Daoc, and GW2 WVW just does not capture that for me.

Let me add D3 sucks out loud. Worst launch I can remember and pretty much meh after that.

vfibsux

Oh man give it a rest....this was not to remind anyone I don't like GW2. In fact what made me think of this topic was that I saw Diablo 3 listed one a few different sites as biggest disappointment for 2012. It was posted on the D3 boards. I was curious if others felt the same way....so far it looks like D3 is in fact a big disappointment for a lot of people.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BSC14

Oh noez, someone does not like the game from the grorious game dev. Quick someone call the "special forces" of the fanboy platoon. Oh wait, they are (or rather he is) already here.

And no the ad populum arguement does nto work either, sure WoW does well at what it does. But WoW is subjective and clearly the shallow carrot on a stick progression and the "guitar hero/simon says" PvE clearly doesnt appeal to him.

Maroxad

Are you saying that I'm a Blizzard fanboy? lol....I started a topic the other day saying that TL2 was better than D3. I hate starcraft and I don't even play WoW though I think it's a great game. So fanboy....sure if that makes you feel better.

Again with crap games out there like Tera how can anyone say that WoW is the worst mmo ever? Sure some might not like it but it has done really well for a reason.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

And no the ad populum arguement does nto work either, sure WoW does well at what it does. But WoW is subjective and clearly the shallow carrot on a stick progression and the "guitar hero/simon says" PvE clearly doesnt appeal to him.

BSC14

Are you saying that I'm a Blizzard fanboy? lol....I started a topic the other day saying that TL2 was better than D3. I hate starcraft and I don't even play WoW though I think it's a great game. So fanboy....sure if that makes you feel better.

Again with crap games out there like Tera how can anyone say that WoW is the worst mmo ever? Sure some might not like it but it has done really well for a reason.

I wasnt referring to you in the first part ;) You have never given me the impression of being a blizzard fanboy anyway.

ShadowHawk676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShadowHawk676
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts

I might get heat for saying this but for me it's planetside 2. It did some interesting things and no one can deny the player count is pretty awesome. But it just feels like another by the numbers FPS to me. Come to think of it I might be just burnt out on FPS games, but that's still my pick.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Diablo 3 easily.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

I despised the last entry, but I had moderate hopes. Battlefield 3 was amazing last year and I feel like EA is really trying hard to give games to compete against Call of Duty, plus one of my friends had me a bit sold on it. I had a bunch of doubts, the lack of major previews or even early reviews was very disheartening, as was the complete lack of co-op and the lack of a quality MoH game in years.

Unfortunately, it was a waste. I only got it because it was $30 on Origin, I should have known they'd make it half off before launch for a reason. That game was a Jingoistic turd that does not give proper respect to the armed forces, nor does it reach the loft heights of other shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield in terms of gameplay, polish, or even storytelling (especially after Spec Ops: The Line kind of shamed other shooters earlier this year with it's phenomenal tale).

So yeah, that game was crap and I wish I could go back and not play it, then use that wasted $30 to buy Dishonored.

iratheous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iratheous
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts

Dishonored

Diablo 3

Planetside 2

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I didn't overhype GW2 so it met my expectations. Didn't disappoint me though. PS2 didn't meet my expectations. Little disappointed that they went "modern shooter" with a lot of things. The performance is horrible, I would have taken BF2142 graphics. I like the scale and teamwork though. The game I was most disappointed in was Tribes: Ascend. It's just very boring in every way for me. I just couldn't get into it.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#40 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
GW2 for me. Sure, at the beginning was fun and I still think it is one of the most beautiful games of 2012 but after a while the game doesn't give you an incentive to continue playing. Can't force myself to log in again and play my character. I think I left her in lvl 53 or something.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I would have went with Diablo 3, but the post-release support changed it from a disappointment to a nice surprise (i.e that the game was actually fixed) for me. Guild Wars 2 also gave me exactly what I wanted, an open world online co-op RPG.

My biggest disappointment was actually Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I must have put a good 10 hours into the demo and I expected the game to be more open and actually have some choice and consequence... Instead what I get is a LOT more of the same, no choice and consequence, and a ridiculously low level cap. Game is still good, but not worth the $50 I paid for it imo.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Diablo 3 for sure. I had hope when Blizzard delivered with SC2, but man, what a let down. The combat is fairly solid but that's just about the only praise I can give it. Not enough to keep me going though. 2012 was pretty lackluster imo, although i'm just now starting to get into Dishonored and Xcom and have yet to try FC3, AC3, and Hitman Absolution.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#43 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

There were a lot of over-hyped games. The one that really fell short on the PC was Dishonored. This game received rave reviews and is being touted as the next Deus Ex and Thief. The design of some of the missions and the story is so underwhelming and flawed that it makes you wonder how much people crave for an alternative to COD.

The other major let down was of course Hitman: Absolution. It has some decent sneaking levels but it rarely ever feels like a Hitman game. Awful AI and mechanics like the broken disguise system.

Finally, Assassins Creed 3 was my first PS3 game and its even more disappointing. Its just AC again with terrible controls and an unforgiving instant fail system. So boring in parts it'd make you scream.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Diablo 3, it didn't deserve its sales at all. Such a dissapointment, and an embarresment to PC gaming.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Assassins Creed 3. The high sea battles were a huge surprise though and really well done. The actual Assassin Creed part of the game was a snoozefest.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

I despised the last entry, but I had moderate hopes. Battlefield 3 was amazing last year and I feel like EA is really trying hard to give games to compete against Call of Duty, plus one of my friends had me a bit sold on it. I had a bunch of doubts, the lack of major previews or even early reviews was very disheartening, as was the complete lack of co-op and the lack of a quality MoH game in years.

Unfortunately, it was a waste. I only got it because it was $30 on Origin, I should have known they'd make it half off before launch for a reason. That game was a Jingoistic turd that does not give proper respect to the armed forces, nor does it reach the loft heights of other shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield in terms of gameplay, polish, or even storytelling (especially after Spec Ops: The Line kind of shamed other shooters earlier this year with it's phenomenal tale).

So yeah, that game was crap and I wish I could go back and not play it, then use that wasted $30 to buy Dishonored.

SPYDER0416
how could you be disappointed with Warfighter? Surely the fact alone that it was called warfighter was a good indication that it was going to suck, hard.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Assassin's Creed III.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Probably would have to say Dishonored. But it wasn't a big disappointment. I did enjoy it, however I thought it fell short in a couple areas that made me want more from it. It needed a little bit more content, a bit more interesting story, and the characters needed more personality. The stealth was above average, and I liked that part.

There are probably other 2012 games that I have not played (yet) that would disappoint me more. I will get to them eventually. I suspect Hitman Absolution will be one of them.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

GW 2, first impression was excellent, the way the game is handled and pretty much any decision they make is absolutely terrible, the game went downhill fast after 1.5 months since its release and its still going.DanielDust
Same here.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

BSC14

Oh man give it a rest....

My thoughts exactly....