What edition of Windows do you have? Comparisons?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
I've had XP installed on this computer since I built it. A week ago, I installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit that I had gotten out of a Microsoft promotion. So far, I like Vista, but I wish I had all my games installed under it.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

Thanks for the clarification about upgrading my Windows OS guys, thanks.

With Clean Install, does it just backup the system files, or everything like my documents and pictures, etc? If not, I know I can just put those things on my External HD.

SP3 was only released a couple days ago, huh? I hope my new computer will be shipped with that.

pseudonymph24

It backs up system files and everything in my documents so pictures and whatever is backed up. I didn't know computers still ship with XP. Do you plan on buying Vista? I think your PC should come with it because you don't get a discount by chosing the soon to be discontinued OS.

If I were to upgrade to Vista, I would be more comfortable doing a clean install and letting it reformat my harddrive; I'd have all my important documents and such backed up on my External HD. I just hate dealing with driver issues.

I bought my new rig from Avadirect. It is custom-built, and yes, they still offer different editions of XP, including 64-bit versions, which I opted not to get.

Why not have it ship with Vista? I am sure there is no price difference.

pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 pseudonymph24
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts
[QUOTE="pseudonymph24"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

Thanks for the clarification about upgrading my Windows OS guys, thanks.

With Clean Install, does it just backup the system files, or everything like my documents and pictures, etc? If not, I know I can just put those things on my External HD.

SP3 was only released a couple days ago, huh? I hope my new computer will be shipped with that.

Deihmos

It backs up system files and everything in my documents so pictures and whatever is backed up. I didn't know computers still ship with XP. Do you plan on buying Vista? I think your PC should come with it because you don't get a discount by chosing the soon to be discontinued OS.

If I were to upgrade to Vista, I would be more comfortable doing a clean install and letting it reformat my harddrive; I'd have all my important documents and such backed up on my External HD. I just hate dealing with driver issues.

I bought my new rig from Avadirect. It is custom-built, and yes, they still offer different editions of XP, including 64-bit versions, which I opted not to get.

Why not have it ship with Vista? I am sure there is no price difference.

There IS a price difference to my knowledge, but more importantly, the things I'm hearing about Vista doesn't make me comfortable enough to get it at the moment. Plus, the particular game I will be playing on my new PC runs a lot faster on XP versus Vista, as I've heard from numerous sources who've tried running it on Vista and XP. I'm content with my decision to stick with XP for now.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Deihmos

I just checked that site and they charge extra to get Vista but with no OS they take $160.00 off. You can get Vista for 89.99 so I would chose the no OS option.

It really doesn't matter which OS you use but i can tell you that Vista is a lot better. There are some really good features that make it faster and more productive than using XP. XP came out in 2001 and there are so many things it doesn't do well as a result. The whole gaming thing is really a non issue. Drivers are constantly being released and basically they both will play games pretty much the same. No one can tell the difference between 50 fps vs 45. It's up to you though.

Lord_Rothen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Lord_Rothen
Member since 2008 • 78 Posts
I'm still using XP and it's serving me well.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I opted to get Vista Ultimate x64 OEM for my new build, seeing that XP was bound to get canned sooner than Vista in terms of support. (They already dumped support for a still-perfectly-fine OS known as Windows 2000...) Also, I wanted DirectX 10. Performance-wise, it's fine, though it does feel a little sluggish at times. However, just about every computer I've used that runs some incarnation of Windows has that minor sluggishness, so I won't hold it against Vista in particular. I also enjoy the Aero interface, particularly the live thumbnails you get from hovering the cursor over a taskbar item. However, it does have a few issues, most of them being compatibility quirks with old programs. A lot of them can be rectified by acquiring and registering .DLL files, though those that involve the use of 32-bit drivers without 64-bit equivalents are, sadly, a lost cause. (The main problem with the lack of 32-bit driver support is that I can't use PPJoy's virtual joystick feature in conjunction with GlovePIE to do things like make my Wiimote a DirectInput device.)
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Deihmos
Vista 32bit is the way to go at this point. 64bit will be beneficial when there are actual 64bit software and at this point they are very few. The 64bit version will have issues because it emulates the 32bit environment and in some cases it doesn't always work well.Using 32bit might actually be faster since your programs are operating in their native environment.
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 pseudonymph24

I just checked that site and they charge extra to get Vista but with no OS they take $160.00 off. You can get Vista for 89.99 so I would chose the no OS option.

It really doesn't matter which OS you use but i can tell you that Vista is a lot better. There are some really good features that make it faster and more productive than using XP. XP came out in 2001 and there are so many things it doesn't do well as a result. The whole gaming thing is really a non issue. Drivers are constantly being released and basically they both will play games pretty much the same. No one can tell the difference between 50 fps vs 45. It's up to you though.

Deihmos

Mind posting your specs for me? I'm just curious.

Avatar image for floridaskater05
floridaskater05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 floridaskater05
Member since 2005 • 1876 Posts
what game are you wanting to play pseudo?
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 pseudonymph24

what game are you wanting to play pseudo?floridaskater05

The Sims 2...and every simmer I encounter tells me to stay away from Vista as far as the game is concerned.

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

[QUOTE="floridaskater05"]what game are you wanting to play pseudo?pseudonymph24

The Sims 2...and every simmer I encounter tells me to stay away from Vista as far as the game is concerned.

I've read that as well...especially 64bit Vista.

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
XP Home (32 bit). I have no need for anything else.

Won't be upgrading until the next Windows (7?), at least. It's easy to use, just works, it's fast and has a great interface.
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 pseudonymph24
i doubt over 20 people would lie about something like that. And yes, I read that. That still doesn't mean Vista is the best OS for the Sims 2; it just means that it *can* be played with Vista.
banedonoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 banedonoes
Member since 2007 • 701 Posts
Windows Vista and Xp pro
opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

1 question, why is everybod so sure that the next windows will be this wonderful thing. Or are Windows versions only liked when they are way off in the future, or just about to lose support.

I am willing to bet that when the next windows come out, we will hear the same crap as we are now, just replace XP with Vista, and Vista with Windows 7. I can hear it now "Why would you get Windows 7, it is such a resource hog over Vista, and Vista does everything I need it to, I am just gonna wait until Windows 8 comes out" Yup, that what it's gonna sound like

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

1 question, why is everybod so sure that the next windows will be this wonderful thing. Or are Windows versions only liked when they are way off in the future, or just about to lose support.

I am willing to bet that when the next windows come out, we will hear the same crap as we are now, just replace XP with Vista, and Vista with Windows 7. I can hear it now "Why would you get Windows 7, it is such a resource hog over Vista, and Vista does everything I need it to, I am just gonna wait until Windows 8 comes out" Yup, that what it's gonna sound like

opamando

I don't think anyone is sure Windows 7 will be wonderful. They hope it'll be wonderful. They hope it's better than Vista. They hope Microsoft won't repeat the mistakes they've made in the past. In the end, the performance of the OS will determine whether, or not it is liked. If Windows 7 is buggy, bloated, slow and filled with MS spyware, then yes, people will complain.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Ultimate 32bit dual booting with XP Pro. XP is my primary OS and Vista is there when something doesn't play nice in XP.
threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 threepac81
Member since 2003 • 3459 Posts

Vista 32bit is the way to go at this point. 64bit will be beneficial when there are actual 64bit software and at this point they are very few. The 64bit version will have issues because it emulates the 32bit environment and in some cases it doesn't always work well.Using 32bit might actually be faster since your programs are operating in their native environment.Deihmos

Umm as far as I know there is no emulation done on Vista x64 with reguards to 32-bit applications. I don't know were you heard that from.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#120 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
I still use XP, I personally think that it is still far superior to Vista in performance and usability. I do plan on upgrading to Windows 7 though whenever that comes out.
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 pseudonymph24

I might be interested in dual booting. Did you set that up yourself?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]Vista 32bit is the way to go at this point. 64bit will be beneficial when there are actual 64bit software and at this point they are very few. The 64bit version will have issues because it emulates the 32bit environment and in some cases it doesn't always work well.Using 32bit might actually be faster since your programs are operating in their native environment.threepac81

Umm as far as I know there is no emulation done on Vista x64 with reguards to 32-bit applications. I don't know were you heard that from.

The 64bit version has an emulation layer knowsn as Windows 64 on Windows that translates 32bit instructions to 64bit instructions (WOW64). It's like running Windows 32bit on Windows 64bit since almost everything you are using will be 32bit including your web browser.. Until more 64bit programs exist, thus eliminating the need to emulate, I find it to be useless.