What edition of Windows do you have? Comparisons?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

Hmm, when is Windows 7 supposed to debut?

pseudonymph24

Second half of 2009...

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/msh/?p=165

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Sentinel672002
[QUOTE="Trilvester"][QUOTE="Sentinel672002"]

Current OSes = XP Professional SP2, XP Home SP2 and Windows 2000.

The difference? XP can utilize quad cores, W2K can't. Thats about it. Performance-wise they're similar, though XP is more of a memory hog. XP Pro is better than XP Home at utilizing quads, so I keep the XP Home on my laptop (Pent M). Vista? I'm waiting for Windows 7. :roll:

Past OSes = DOS 6.0, DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE...

Bottom-line? Non-GUI OSes make me use my brain more...thank God for DOSSHELL... LOL!!! :lol:

Spybot_9

Does Pro really utilize quad cores better? I got a free XP pro disc from my school thats just sitting on my desk? You think it would be worth it to upgrade to pro from home?

Eh....windows XP home will utilize quads as good as vista ultimate.Why would you think that it wont?

I'd read that XP Home edition, while it could utilize quad cores, did so less efficiently than XP Pro. However, after looking for it, I can't find my original source of this info. Disregard my earlier comment about XP Home and quads...at least until I can find the comparison again...

gm84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 gm84
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

Current - XP Pro SP2 on an ancient laptop.

Past - Dos 6.0, Windows 3.1,95,98, 98SE, 2000Me (?)

Future - Windows 7 on a nice gaming rig !

pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 pseudonymph24
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bitDavyvfr

What are your specs and how is your Vista running? Misha @ avadirect is suggesting I get Vista with my new rig...

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="andyroo08"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]I have xp home on my 160 gig drive and 32 bit Vista home premium on my 250 gig drive. Vista crashed after a power outage and I had to reformat both drives.:P I didn't back up stuff, but I still like Vista and use that drive almost 99% of the time.pseudonymph24

I was under the impression all Vista was 64-bit, no?

Just like XP, there is both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista, i'm using vista ultimate 32-bit.

Oh okay, cool. How do you like it so far? I keep hearing Vista is a resource hog, but with 4gigs, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

it runs just like xp with 2gb and dual core

triggs1957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 triggs1957
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I have the march 2008 release of Windows XP PRO vista ultamet edition service pack 3, It has the new Sata/Raid drivers and microsoft becouse people were switching back to XP put the sounds,style, and newest ver. of all programs like IE.WMP and winrar allong with a revamped xp pro
blooddrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 blooddrunk
Member since 2008 • 1036 Posts

[QUOTE="Davyvfr"]Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bitpseudonymph24

What are your specs and how is your Vista running? Misha @ avadirect is suggesting I get Vista with my new rig...

if its a new rig you maya s well get4 gigs of ram and vista premium

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts

I use Vista Ultimate SP1. My desktop performance is generally faster than in XP and my games run about the same as in XP.

I keep hearing people complaining about Vista being a resource-hog which is not true. While it does use more RAM than XP (you can always strip it down to the essentials though) it's not as bad as they claim. Vista has this little feature called superfetch which on it's own can take up a large part of your available memory to improve performance by loading the applications you use the most in the RAM. That's why many people often see their memory usage over 1GB even with hardly any programs running. That way Vista makes use of the otherwise useless available memory when you don't need it. When you run a demanding application or a game, that used memory will be available should you need it.

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts

I got vista home premimum. It looks pretty, and daily operations are not bad. But the biggest drawback is that Vista doesn't run KOTOR or KOTOR II period. I have tried for a year using every method I can think of, but KOTOR still doesn't run.wow1059

I have KOTOR II on my Vista 32-bit Business OS and it runs just fine. Try patching the game and/or your video card drivers.

The truth about MS Vista: I used to bash this software constantly. I wondered why they had to revamp the GUI and make permissions set so tight. The truth is, since I've owned Vista, I haven't received a single piece of malware. Not one virus, not one worm, trojan, spyware, or piece of adware. I have scanned with 4 different virus and spyware scanners on many occassions and never gotten a piece of malware.

In addition Vista is extremely stable on my machine. The only time I ever received a lockup or BSOD was when I overclocked my RAM insanely high. Vista SP1 is the best MS OS that has ever been released by leaps and bounds. It is much less of a resource hog than it used to be and while games may run a tad bit slower because Vista uses a tad bit more resident memory, this can be completely bypassed by turning the Windows Aero interface off. Vista will no longer look so pretty but will use about the same amount of resources as XP, only with Direct X 10 and a more stable OS.

Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :D

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
Vista Ultimatum 32-bits and pieces
luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 luamhtrad
Member since 2003 • 1997 Posts

Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :Dchadw_genx

Longhorn was Vista's development codename. The development codename for Windows 7, is Vienna.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
Microsoft's Vienna Sausages
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 pseudonymph24
[QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

[QUOTE="Davyvfr"]Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bitblooddrunk

What I'm most worried about is my Sims 2 game and all its expansions not playing well on Vista 64-bit. I read many reviews of people who tried to play on a Vista 64-bit system and promptly switched back to XP due to some issues. I'm not sure if it's more a Sims 2 problem or more of a problem with the specs people are using.

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 luamhtrad

Microsoft's Vienna Sausagesmike4realz

Kid in your sig loves sausages.

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 luamhtrad
[QUOTE="blooddrunk"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

What I'm most worried about is my Sims 2 game and all its expansions not playing well on Vista 64-bit. I read many reviews of people who tried to play on a Vista 64-bit system and promptly switched back to XP due to some issues. I'm not sure if it's more a Sims 2 problem or more of a problem with the specs people are using.

If you do have issues, you can always try running them in XP compatability mode. Also, functioning drivers are crucial to normal operation in the 64-bit environment.

quietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 quietguy
Member since 2003 • 1218 Posts

[QUOTE="mike4realz"]Microsoft's Vienna Sausagesluamhtrad

Kid in your sig loves sausages.

I think he's more excited for those pair of meatballs sitting on the avatar spot.:D

pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 pseudonymph24
[QUOTE="pseudonymph24"][QUOTE="blooddrunk"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

[QUOTE="Davyvfr"]Windows Vista Home Edition 64-bitluamhtrad

If you do have issues, you can always try running them in XP compatability mode. Also, functioning drivers are crucial to normal operation in the 64-bit environment.

Thanks for the info. if I let them (Avadirect) install Vista, all my drivers should be up to date already...

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 luamhtrad
[QUOTE="luamhtrad"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"][QUOTE="blooddrunk"][QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

Thanks for the info. if I let them (Avadirect) install Vista, all my drivers should be up to date already...

Yes. Very true. However, you should also make sure that your Sims games are installed in the correct order and fully patched before trying to run them. I assume that you already know this, but just wanted to throw it out there. :oops:

pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 pseudonymph24
Yes, I know, but good looking out anyway :). I install them in order, but I also patch every pack as needed before moving on to the next.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

XP Pro (32bit) Student Ed. Service Pack 2 integrated.

Everything you want out of XP Pro minus the redundant crap in the regular XP Pro edition.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts
I have XP Pro sp2 (32bit) and Vista Premium (32bit). I play all my games on XP, it just works better for me.
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 pseudonymph24

I have XP Pro sp2 (32bit) and Vista Premium (32bit). I play all my games on XP, it just works better for me.--Anna--

How much ram do you have installed?

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="--Anna--"]I have XP Pro sp2 (32bit) and Vista Premium (32bit). I play all my games on XP, it just works better for me.pseudonymph24

How much ram do you have installed?

2GB for XP and 4Gb for Vista.
Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts

At the moment I have a athlon amd dual core 2.0 3800+ with 2 gigs of ram and win xp home edition 32 I believe and all is fine.

Well all is fine for now until I buy no build my own pc and then it'll be great but until then it'll be slow going. Along the way I'll be repairing peoples pc for them and so then I'll be able to save that money for a new pc and with the new I'll end up staying with xp.

wow1059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 wow1059
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="wow1059"]I got vista home premimum. It looks pretty, and daily operations are not bad. But the biggest drawback is that Vista doesn't run KOTOR or KOTOR II period. I have tried for a year using every method I can think of, but KOTOR still doesn't run.chadw_genx

I have KOTOR II on my Vista 32-bit Business OS and it runs just fine. Try patching the game and/or your video card drivers.

The truth about MS Vista: I used to bash this software constantly. I wondered why they had to revamp the GUI and make permissions set so tight. The truth is, since I've owned Vista, I haven't received a single piece of malware. Not one virus, not one worm, trojan, spyware, or piece of adware. I have scanned with 4 different virus and spyware scanners on many occassions and never gotten a piece of malware.

In addition Vista is extremely stable on my machine. The only time I ever received a lockup or BSOD was when I overclocked my RAM insanely high. Vista SP1 is the best MS OS that has ever been released by leaps and bounds. It is much less of a resource hog than it used to be and while games may run a tad bit slower because Vista uses a tad bit more resident memory, this can be completely bypassed by turning the Windows Aero interface off. Vista will no longer look so pretty but will use about the same amount of resources as XP, only with Direct X 10 and a more stable OS.

Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :D

Does Kotor II not working have anything to do with my intel graphics card? I currently have Intel GMA X3000

bike749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 bike749
Member since 2005 • 829 Posts
i have xp pro Sp3 Best Os Out.
Demo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Demo24
Member since 2003 • 12303 Posts

I use whichever version I feel like at the time. Currently my desktop is on XP SP3, just because a)I hate vista and don't want to install it b)it's stable and everything works well on it

However when I decided to give Vista a try I just use whichever version I have downloaded & on dvd at the time. That can mean anything from server 08 to Vista Ultimate 64bit.

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 luamhtrad

Does Kotor II not working have anything to do with my intel graphics card? I currently have Intel GMA X3000wow1059

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little... :? Integrated graphics are NOT MEANT FOR GAMING. They are meant for word processing and surfing the internet. Period.

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts

[QUOTE="wow1059"]Does Kotor II not working have anything to do with my intel graphics card? I currently have Intel GMA X3000luamhtrad

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little... :? Integrated graphics are NOT MEANT FOR GAMING. They are meant for word processing and surfing the internet. Period.

true.... although that'll run any source engine game... (from experience, about the same as my rig runs crysis)

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 luamhtrad
[QUOTE="luamhtrad"]

[QUOTE="wow1059"]Does Kotor II not working have anything to do with my intel graphics card? I currently have Intel GMA X3000noswear

true.... although that'll run any source engine game... (from experience, about the same as my rig runs crysis)

Running a game and maxing a game are 2 totally separate things. And I'm sorry, but the rig in your sig does not max crysis. While Source games are highly optimized and run well on lower hardware, an integrated GPU does not have the horsepower to run them at optimal settings. Anything lower than medium makes the game not worth playing in my opinion.

strikerthrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 strikerthrex
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
Currenty I use windows 2003, I used vista for a few months I'll never use it again. I'll switch to 2008 when i really need directx10.
teh_goonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 teh_goonster
Member since 2007 • 232 Posts

Vista business 64 bit.

The search function is very easy and useful.

The snipping tool is a minor but very easy and useful feature I use a lot.

The interface is quite nice.

I can't really compare game performance directly with XP but I haven't really had many issues in terms of game performance.

One thing that annoys me is sometime games will crash, but then when running as adminstrator will solve that. Just don't get why you wouldn't want to run as adminstrator and why some games crash.

DX10 is a waste of time. It knocks 15-20% off my framerate in Crysis and doesn't add to the visuals. Plus there isn't an option when you open the game where it says "DX10 or DX9?". You have to add an extension to the shortcut which is a pain and is not going to be very intuitive for casual gamers to find out.

Also a shame that Vista uses so much RAM, but then again RAM isn't too expensive but it's still a bit of a pain.

It's got its problems, but it's decent.

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 chadw_genx

[QUOTE="chadw_genx"]Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :Dluamhtrad

Longhorn was Vista's development codename. The development codename for Windows 7, is Vienna.

Uhh, Longhorn was the codename for Server '08, not Vista.

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Sentinel672002
[QUOTE="luamhtrad"]

[QUOTE="chadw_genx"]Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :Dchadw_genx

Actually, prior to 2005, Vista was codenamed Longhorn. Maybe Microsoft likes using that codename a lot...to make up for other shortcomings...:P

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 luamhtrad
[QUOTE="luamhtrad"]

[QUOTE="chadw_genx"]Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :Dchadw_genx

Uhh, I had a beta build of Longhorn (Vista) back in 2005. Thanks for your accuracy.

threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 threepac81
Member since 2003 • 3459 Posts
[QUOTE="luamhtrad"]

Your half right... Longhorn was/is the codename for Vista and Server 2008. SOURCE HERE

threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 threepac81
[QUOTE="chadw_genx"][QUOTE="luamhtrad"]

[QUOTE="chadw_genx"]Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :Dluamhtrad

Uhh, I had a beta build of Longhorn (Vista) back in 2005. Thanks for your accuracy.

I tried the alpha version of Longorn back in 2003 before they "REBOOTED" the project. It was laggy as hell and the side bar was a resource hog.

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 chadw_genx
[QUOTE="chadw_genx"][QUOTE="luamhtrad"]

[QUOTE="chadw_genx"]Microsoft Windows Longhorn (7) will likely be a much better OS than Vista. Vista is still the same Windows code as the original just with tons of updating. Windows Longhorn will be coded from the ground up. Thus, don't expect it to be compatible with anything older than 2 years old. I doubt they will incorporate support for any legacy devices. The key point is Longhorn is not yet out, and Vista stands as the best OS available today that is from MS. If you have the money and haven't upgraded yet, do it and you will not be disappointed. Add a bit of RAM or turn off Windows Aero interface if you're worried about resource hogging. Cheers :Dthreepac81

Your half right... Longhorn was/is the codename for Vista and Server 2008. SOURCE HERE

I stand corrected. I just googled longhorn and indeed it did also refer to Vista as well as Server 2008.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

No one answered my upgrade question though.

How easy is it to upgrade to a newer version of Windows on your own? I often hear of people having driver issues when doing so...

pseudonymph24

It is very easy to do. From my experience basically everything works after the install and all you do is update the drivers. Even my printer and webcam worked after the install. It's actually a lot easier than installing XP since so many drivers are included with the install.

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Sentinel672002
[QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

No one answered my upgrade question though.

How easy is it to upgrade to a newer version of Windows on your own? I often hear of people having driver issues when doing so...

Deihmos

It is very easy to do. From my experience basically everything works after the install and all you do is update the drivers. Even my printer and webcam worked after the install. It's actually a lot easier than installing XP since so many drivers are included with the install.

Easy yes. The best option no. IMHO, a fresh install of a newer version of Windows always beats an upgraded version, over an older install. Wipe the previous version first, then install fresh. If you're using an Upgrade version of Windows, it will ask you during the install to confirm your previous version of Windows. At that point you eject the Upgrade disk, insert the older install disk and let the Upgrade installer detect it. Then you can proceed with the fresh install off the Upgrade disk. My experience anyway...

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Deihmos
Vista does not ask you you to confirm anything by inserting another disk.There are two options "Clean Install or Upgrade" You chose clean install and all your old file are copied to Windows.old folder which can be deleted after the install. I have never seen anything about confirmation of anything. All the installation disks are the same it's the key that matters.
quickchord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 quickchord
Member since 2003 • 387 Posts

I currently got a dual boot running XP64 and Vista64. my current prob though is gettin Leopard as my third boot option (just started this on Wednesday) but I can't find a boot loader to fully accomplish that. as long as Leopard is part of the boot loaders list, I simply get nothing :( So i'm back to the good 'ole dual boot. If I can't get leopard to boot I'm going to replace it with Suse.

EDIT: Thinking about it, IF Leopard does work then I'm gonna go with a quad-boot along with Suse.

threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 threepac81

I currently got a dual boot running XP64 and Vista64. my current prob though is gettin Leopard as my third boot option (just started this on Wednesday) but I can't find a boot loader to fully accomplish that. as long as Leopard is part of the boot loaders list, I simply get nothing :( So i'm back to the good 'ole dual boot. If I can't get leopard to boot I'm going to replace it with Suse.
quickchord

Who told you you could get Leaperd to boot normally on a PC anyways...?

pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 pseudonymph24

Thanks for the clarification about upgrading my Windows OS guys, thanks.

With Clean Install, does it just backup the system files, or everything like my documents and pictures, etc? If not, I know I can just put those things on my External HD.

SP3 was only released a couple days ago, huh? I hope my new computer will be shipped with that.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Deihmos

With Clean Install, does it just backup the system files, or everything like my documents and pictures, etc? If not, I know I can just put those things on my External HD.

SP3 was only released a couple days ago, huh? I hope my new computer will be shipped with that.

pseudonymph24

It backs up system files and everything in my documents so pictures and whatever is backed up. I didn't know computers still ship with XP. Do you plan on buying Vista? I think your PC should come with it because you don't get a discount by chosing the soon to be discontinued OS.

pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 pseudonymph24
[QUOTE="pseudonymph24"]

Deihmos

It backs up system files and everything in my documents so pictures and whatever is backed up. I didn't know computers still ship with XP. Do you plan on buying Vista? I think your PC should come with it because you don't get a discount by chosing the soon to be discontinued OS.

If I were to upgrade to Vista, I would be more comfortable doing a clean install and letting it reformat my harddrive; I'd have all my important documents and such backed up on my External HD. I just hate dealing with driver issues.

I bought my new rig from Avadirect. It is custom-built, and yes, they still offer different editions of XP, including 64-bit versions, which I opted not to get.

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts
I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit Best OS I've ever used but wouldn't use Vista with out 4GB of RAM
pseudonymph24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 pseudonymph24

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit Best OS I've ever used but wouldn't use Vista with out 4GB of RAM adam0926

Are you playing any 32-bit games on it? If so, how is the performance?